PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Defense Charting Notes: First Two Weeks

polamalubeast
09-23-2017, 08:36 AM
The first edition of our Pittsburgh Steelers’ defensive charting. Compiling the first two weeks of data.

– These are out of 130 plays.

Personnel groupings. The total number of snaps is to the right of the percentage.

Nickel: 56.9% (74)
Dime: 21.5% (28)
3-4: 20% (26)
Goal Line: 1.5% (2)

– Steelers have stayed in their “regular” 3-4 more often than not instead of their “over” front.

3-4 regular vs 3-4 over: 73.1%/26.9%

– Steelers have stayed in base just seven times against 11 personnel this season. Comes out to 6.6%.

– Keith Butler has blitzed 30% of the time this year. 24 of 80 chances. For comparison’s sake, blitz figures since 2014 (LeBeau’s final season).

2014: 28%
2015% 33.3%
2016: 39.7%
2017: 30%

– By Butler’s blitz standard, sending five or more, he’s done that 18 times. That’s 22.5%. We have the data since Butler’s first year, 2015.

2015: 33.6%
2016: 27.7%
2017: 22.5%

– If you’re interested, he’s sent a three man rush 13 times. 16.3%.

– A DB has come either by himself or in tandem with another rusher 11 total times, 13.8%

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/steelers-defense-charting-notes-first-two-weeks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Curious as to what Kozora is considering a blitz. He says they blitzed 30%, but then says Butler sent 5 or more 22.5%.

I think that most football people would not consider rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage, as a blitz. Just because a team runs a base 3-4 defense does not mean that if they rush more than 3 it is a blitz. I hope they tighten up those numbers, or change it to what a real blitz is, or its going to provide inaccurate info to their readers.

Mojouw
09-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Curious as to what Kozora is considering a blitz. He says they blitzed 30%, but then says Butler sent 5 or more 22.5%.

I think that most football people would not consider rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage, as a blitz. Just because a team runs a base 3-4 defense does not mean that if they rush more than 3 it is a blitz. I hope they tighten up those numbers, or change it to what a real blitz is, or its going to provide inaccurate info to their readers.

Maybe he is counting dropping one of the "traditional" pass rushers into coverage and coming with a DB as a blitz? I get that anything of 4 or less is not usually defined as a blitz. But maybe they are stretching it to cover zone rush stuff?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Maybe he is counting dropping one of the "traditional" pass rushers into coverage and coming with a DB as a blitz? I get that anything of 4 or less is not usually defined as a blitz. But maybe they are stretching it to cover zone rush stuff?

If they are in a base 3-4 and rush 4, then at lease 1 OLB is dropping in coverage. If they are in passing down and sub out the NT, then they can still rush the OLB's or "traditional" pass rushers and drop 7 without blitzing. It just looks like he is counting rushing 4 guys as a blitz and counting a blitz of 5 or more as another classification of blitz. IDK.

I guess at the end of the day, it really doesn't mean much in the way of stats unless people want to geek out and compliment or complain about the amount of blitzing in the pass rush. My statistics professor always reminded us that stats can be misleading...the average human being has one testicle and 1/2 a vagina, but you will never find that person on the planet and they certainly would not be "average".

Mojouw
09-23-2017, 01:10 PM
If they are in a base 3-4 and rush 4, then at lease 1 OLB is dropping in coverage. If they are in passing down and sub out the NT, then they can still rush the OLB's or "traditional" pass rushers and drop 7 without blitzing. It just looks like he is counting rushing 4 guys as a blitz and counting a blitz of 5 or more as another classification of blitz. IDK.

I guess at the end of the day, it really doesn't mean much in the way of stats unless people want to geek out and compliment or complain about the amount of blitzing in the pass rush. My statistics professor always reminded us that stats can be misleading...the average human being has one testicle and 1/2 a vagina, but you will never find that person on the planet and they certainly would not be "average".

This is the greatest post about stats ever! It is never going to be topped! I can't wait to use this repeatedly and as often as possible in any and all conversations about statistics!

Thanks for making my day!

Dwinsgames
09-23-2017, 02:10 PM
the average human being has one testicle and 1/2 a vagina, but you will never find that person on the planet and they certainly would not be "average".

:rofl2:

you sir won the internet for the day

tube517
09-23-2017, 02:41 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EG just made me spit and almost choke on my lunch. Now, my ribs hurt. :chuckle:

43Hitman
09-23-2017, 04:30 PM
:rofl2: :hatsoff:

86WARD
09-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Brilliant.