PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Claims Harrison Had No Clue Why He Didn’t Play Against Vikings

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 02:28 PM
A lot has been made about Pittsburgh Steelers veteran outside linebacker James Harrison not playing a single snap in the team’s Sunday home win over the Minnesota Vikings. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin explained during his Tuesday press conference that Harrison not playing Sunday was more of a result of fellow outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo currently being an ascending player on defense right now and a “hot hand” and why the team handled the position group rotation on Sunday in the manner that they did.

“In the meantime, we’re going to continue to roll people and play and play guys that we see fit and not do a real good job of maybe describing our mindset, or outlining their intentions, because part of it is gamesmanship and part of it will define itself as we move forward,” Tomlin said.

To hear Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talk during his Tuesday interview on 93.7 The Fan, Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers coaching staff probably didn’t outline their intentions to Harrison ahead of Sunday’s game against the Vikings.

“Yeah, I talked to him yesterday and just kind of asked like, ‘What’s going on, what happened?’ And he just gave me this look like, I have no clue,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday when asked if he’s had a chance to talk to Harrison about him not playing Sunday against the Vikings. “So, we talked a little bit about it, but there’s no real answers. He didn’t have any answers for me, so I dont know if he has any answers. So, I was kind of confused by it, but I’m not really sure what the reasoning was on it.”

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/roethlisberger-claims-harrison-no-clue-didnt-play-vikings/

DesertSteel
09-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Clearly Butler should be running his decisions through Big Ben.

AtlantaDan
09-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Clearly Butler should be running his decisions through Big Ben.

Ben using the Tuesday morning radio show appearance to stir the pot strikes yet again - Matt Ryan has a similar deal in Atlanta but somehow manages to never say anything noteworthy and still gets paid

BlackAndGold
09-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Why should JH play over Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo?

All three are playing well and they need to play so they can continue to develop. Those guys will be here next year, and for years to come, JH won't. (I'll see Harrison come December)

Ben needs to worry about not having another average road game with Chicago coming up.

T&B fan
09-19-2017, 05:26 PM
:iagree::applaudit:

Steeldude
09-19-2017, 06:01 PM

All three are playing well and they need to play so they can continue to develop. Those guys will be here next year, and for years to come, JH won't. (I'll see Harrison come December)

Ben needs to worry about not having another average road game with Chicago coming up.

Harrison would/should be spelling the starters. Moats played also.

As of now, until proven otherwise, Harrison is still the best OLB and pass rusher on the team. It makes no sense to have him as the 5th OLB on the roster.

Don't be surprised if you do not see Harrison play another snap for the Steelers.

Hawkman
09-19-2017, 06:05 PM

As of now, until proven otherwise, Harrison is still the best OLB and pass rusher on the team. It makes no sense to have him as the 5th OLB on the roster.

Don't be surprised if you do not see Harrison play another snap for the Steelers.

Did you just copy and paste from another thread that it was posted in?

DesertSteel
09-19-2017, 06:07 PM

Yeah you keep saying that...

Mojouw
09-19-2017, 06:08 PM
The above is the portion of the field that Butler apparently now expects his OLB'ers to roam in coverage. Not Harrison's strong suit.&lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;br&gt;<br>
Seriously, all kidding aside, Harrison will play again - but it will need to be in the right situation. Right now, Butler has the OLBers dropping 10-15 yards into coverage and also following guys across the field. &lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;br&gt;<br>
Moats and Harrison are not good at that. So right now, putting either of those guys on the field totally signals to the offense what you are doing or not doing.&lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;br&gt;<br>
That being said, it is Week 2! Butler is going to do what all good DC;s do. Put some tendencies and player packages on tape and then show up on Sunday with something totally different!

43Hitman
09-19-2017, 06:09 PM
:director:Get off my lawn!!

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Did you see the last game?

The pass rush was great, so our OLBs do a great job so far.

We are far from the Jarvis Jones!

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2017, 06:41 PM
The above is the portion of the field that Butler apparently now expects his OLB'ers to roam in coverage. Not Harrison's strong suit.<br><br>
<br><br>
Seriously, all kidding aside, Harrison will play again - but it will need to be in the right situation. Right now, Butler has the OLBers dropping 10-15 yards into coverage and also following guys across the field. <br><br>
<br><br>
Moats and Harrison are not good at that. So right now, putting either of those guys on the field totally signals to the offense what you are doing or not doing.<br><br>
<br><br>
That being said, it is Week 2! Butler is going to do what all good DC;s do. Put some tendencies and player packages on tape and then show up on Sunday with something totally different!

I know PFF isnt necessarily the best reference but Harrison was ranked the #1 cover OLB in the entire league: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/james-harrison-rated-best-cover-olb-2016/

I thought he passed the eye test last season as well. Nonetheless im in favor of keeping Harrison fresh, unleashing him maybe towards the end of close games/working him in down the stretch. These are valuable snaps for Chickillo. Im not going to hold my breath on how legitimate his developments are yet after 2 games, but if he's for real, it's crazy how deep out OLB's got in just the span of a year

BlackAndGold
09-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Harrison should not be playing over the young guys that are playing very well. Moats played later in the game, no reason to put a 39 year old on the field at that time.

JH is not the best OLB. Last year he was, but Jarvis was a considered a starter and Dupree was hurt for most of the season.

He'll play again but right now he's sitting in the bullpen until needed.

BurghBoy412
09-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Why ask Why? The Defense is playing pretty darn good without him.

Hawkman
09-19-2017, 06:45 PM
We might find him being used more against the more stout offenses.

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Using Harrison right now is like using your closer in baseball when you have a 10 point lead in the 9 inning.

You only use Harrison when you need him because of his age ...

Edman
09-19-2017, 06:59 PM
This isn't 2016.

The Steelers actually have a puss rush without being forced to rely on Harrison. Dupree, Watt and Chickillo are putting in the work and doing very well so far. They don't need Deebo right now.

vasteeler
09-19-2017, 07:11 PM
This isn't 2016.

The Steelers actually have a puss rush without being forced to rely on Harrison. Dupree, Watt and Chickillo are putting in the work and doing very well so far. They don't need Deebo right now.

Hehe...he said puss rush

Steeldude
09-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Did you just copy and paste from another thread that it was posted in?

Unlike you my opinions don't change from thread to thread.

I see people keep saying Harrison is a closer; to be used later etc..., but yet you haven't said a word to them. More double-standards.:crazy:

- - - Updated - - -

JH is not the best OLB.

So which OLB on the team has proven to be better than Harrison?

Hawkman
09-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Unlike you my opinions don't change from thread to thread.

I see people keep saying Harrison is a closer; to be used later etc..., but yet you haven't said a word to them. More double-standards.:crazy:

- - - Updated - - -

A little sensitive there. I just asked a question and you throw an insult. At least I pay read and pay attention to what you say. Not sure where the double standard line came from.

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Dupree is healthy and he played well against the Vikings, Watt is better than expected and if Chickillo is for real, it's a big bonus.Our OLBs are much better this year.

No reason to burn Harrison early in the season.

BlackAndGold
09-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Dupree is the best OLB on this team.

pczach
09-19-2017, 07:36 PM

And he was the best OLB last year the second he stepped foot on the field after coming back from injury. He has the athleticism to do more things than Harrison is capable of at this stage of his career.

I still think JH should be used occasionally to keep him game fresh and ready to step in if needed, but I also understand using these early games to give the young OLB as much playing time as possible. I think Harrison is strong against the run and is still effective rushing the passer, but he is a liability in coverage and has lost enough athleticism that it limits the versatility they covet in this defensive scheme.

BurghBoy412
09-19-2017, 07:45 PM
- - - Updated - - -

If you're talking about the 2017 Steelers. Then I would have to say Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo are all better so far.

teegre
09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Using Harrison right now is like using your closer in baseball when you have a 10 point lead in the 9 inning.

You only use Harrison when you need him because of his age ...

/thread

FrancoLambert
09-19-2017, 08:43 PM
The plan is to get Deebo pissed off like never before, question his ability, bury him on the depth chart, then unleash him against the Ravens in game 4.

fansince'76
09-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Ben using the Tuesday morning radio show appearance to stir the pot strikes yet again - Matt Ryan has a similar deal in Atlanta but somehow manages to never say anything noteworthy and still gets paid

Sounds boring.

Shoes
09-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Harrison will get in the mix and I believe it will wreak havoc on opposing OT. Can you imagine trying to block a Harrison style, then a Watt, then a Dupree, and Chick. I'm delighted we have them all.

Mojouw
09-19-2017, 09:23 PM
I know PFF isnt necessarily the best reference but Harrison was ranked the #1 cover OLB in the entire league: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/james-harrison-rated-best-cover-olb-2016/

I thought he passed the eye test last season as well. Nonetheless im in favor of keeping Harrison fresh, unleashing him maybe towards the end of close games/working him in down the stretch. These are valuable snaps for Chickillo. Im not going to hold my breath on how legitimate his developments are yet after 2 games, but if he's for real, it's crazy how deep out OLB's got in just the span of a year

That is a super interesting stat. I wonder if the coverage responsibilities are the same as last year or have been re-imagined?

AtlantaDan
09-19-2017, 09:58 PM

Sounds boring.

It is - but that is how almost every other player handles these paid appearances rather than making rando observations about maybe I will retire, I sustained a traumatic ocular migraine, I do not know why that player did not get on the field, and the reason the team is having so many injuries may be because the head coach's practices are too physical :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-19-2017, 10:13 PM
A little sensitive there. I just asked a question and you throw an insult. At least I pay read and pay attention to what you say. Not sure where the double standard line came from.

What insult? I was referring to double-standards as being weird, not you personally. Sorry for the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Well we are all entitled to our opinion, but I don't quite see how Dupree has proven he is a better OLB than Harrison. Dupree has yet to even put together a season. He doesn't command double-teams. Harrison still sets the edge better. As for coverage, I don't see much from Dupree to tell if he is better, the same or worse. Being younger and faster doesn't always equate to better.

Perhaps this year Dupree will be a monster pass rusher and all-around great OLB, but I will wait until it is seen before claiming he is the best on OLB yet.

GBMelBlount
09-20-2017, 05:24 AM
I believe that the development of this young defense by the time we (should) hit the playoffs,

is the most important missing piece needed to win another Lombardi.

So the more develoment snaps these younger players get, the better imo.

We know we have a solid player in Harrison and are fortunate to have the luxury of keeping him fresh/in the bullpen.

teegre
09-20-2017, 06:29 AM
This reminds me of the Toby Keith song: As Good As I Once Was.

It's about a guy who is aging, but he's still got a few good "plays" left in the tank. He's not as good as he once was, but he's good ONCE as he ever was.

Harrison is not the guy you want playing 60 snaps for all 16 games. But, if the season was on the line, and it was the opposition's final series, there's not another OLB I'd want on the field.

polamalubeast
09-20-2017, 09:48 AM
What insult? I was referring to double-standards as being weird, not you personally. Sorry for the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Well we are all entitled to our opinion, but I don't quite see how Dupree has proven he is a better OLB than Harrison. Dupree has yet to even put together a season. He doesn't command double-teams. Harrison still sets the edge better. As for coverage, I don't see much from Dupree to tell if he is better, the same or worse. Being younger and faster doesn't always equate to better.

Perhaps this year Dupree will be a monster pass rusher and all-around great OLB, but I will wait until it is seen before claiming he is the best on OLB yet.

We will never know if our young OLBs are good or not if they are not on the field ....

For now, they are on the field and they are very good!

I hope that it continues.

Moose
09-20-2017, 10:34 AM

I agree 100% Play the future, with all due respect to the great Harrison. ( I still can't get past that bunghole smell from him though).

Mojouw
09-20-2017, 10:36 AM

So if you were in charge next week, what would the OLB line-up, rotation, and responsibilities look like? Assume everyone is healthy.

I would start Dupree and Watt. Harrison and Chickillo get about 10-12 snaps a piece. Not sure I dress Moats.

polamalubeast
09-20-2017, 10:41 AM
So if you were in charge next week, what would the OLB line-up, rotation, and responsibilities look like? Assume everyone is healthy.

I would start Dupree and Watt. Harrison and Chickillo get about 10-12 snaps a piece. Not sure I dress Moats.

He would surely play Joey Porter and James Harrison as starter since they are more proven!

BlackAndGold
09-20-2017, 11:32 AM
This isn't about who has a better history, it's about "NOW".

Dupree is the best OLB on the roster. He has grown leaps and bounds as a pass rusher.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/film-room-bud-dupree-flashes-season-debut/

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2017, 12:04 PM
This isn't about who has a better history, it's about "NOW".

Dupree is the best OLB on the roster. He has grown leaps and bounds as a pass rusher.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/film-room-bud-dupree-flashes-season-debut/

And yet after the first game, there was talk on this forum about trading him.

polamalubeast
09-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Psycho Ward 86
09-20-2017, 06:38 PM

thats what the eye test seemed to say as well. consistent pressure has been an issue. hopefully his work with that legendary pass rush coach has fixed this

teegre
09-20-2017, 07:17 PM

That seems about right. :nod: Although, I might give Harrison even fewer snaps... and then give him much more (30) for the Ravens game.

He's like Voltron's blazing sword. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Harrison should either be i the rotation or told that he is being saved for later in the season to keep his legs fresh. Either way, he should have some sort of clue

teegre
09-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Harrison should either be i the rotation or told that he is being saved for later in the season to keep his legs fresh. Either way, he should have some sort of clue

1) Harrison might have known, but he didn't tell Roethlisberger.

2) BB was mistaken.

3) BB was stretching the truth, in order to create interest.

tube517
09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
1) Harrison might have known, but he didn't tell Roethlisberger.

2) BB was mistaken.

3) BB was stretching the truth, in order to create drama.

Fixed. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Trolling the media again? Lol