PDA

View Full Version : WWSUD?

stlrtruck
09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Okay so I'm a bit perplexed. The other day I was able to purchase two tickets to the Steelers game here in Tampa for WK 3. Initially I thought about taking my 5 year old daughter, but the more I think about it I don't know if she can handle the heat for over 4 hours. Especially if we try to get in to the gates early enough for her to get Polamalu to sign her picture.

I have two options. So my SU Family what would you do?

I can take my 5 year old and get lucky that she doesn't mind the heat during the game or worse case scenario she whines, whines, and whines to go home (which I don't do for Steelers games). This would also prep her for the game in December in Pittsburgh. But this would also make her first Steelers game an away game not a in Da 'Burgh game (which I was really hoping to do).

Or I can take a friend who may not necessarily be a Steelers fan, but I'll recoup the price of the ticket.

steelatl
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
I would take the friend.

GBMelBlount
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Have you actually asked your daughter if she wanted to go yet?

GodfatherofSoul
09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Depends, is your friend ME?

HometownGal
09-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Scott - I've gotten to know (and :love2:) the Princess and I know how much she enjoys spending time with her Daddy. Talk with her about it up front and let her know that since she is a little Steelers fan, she has to be able to "tough it out" at the game and stay for its entirety. Plus - if you throw in the possibility of her being able to get Troy's autograph, that is quite the incentive! :thumbsup:

I say - take her to the game. Trust me when I tell you this - those little ones grow up soooo fast and you don't want to miss out on even one opportunity to spend that very special time with 'em! :hug:

BuddhaBus
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Take a friend that's a Bucs fan (if one can still be found) so you can point and laugh at him and wave your Terrible Towel in his face when we win! :pointlaugh: :tt02:

Craic
09-16-2010, 04:37 PM
In Tampa? I was looking at going to a game there this fall. I found out that there is a family section. Are your tickets in the family section? If so, I say absolutely take her. There will probably be enough kids that she willl be entertained the entire time.

The other thing is, like HTG said, This is a great Father-daughter bond time. Just remember to take a few toys and give them to her as she starts getting a little whiny... That's what my wife does to me!

vasteeler
09-16-2010, 06:42 PM
i took my five year old to a baseball game this year and it worked out pretty good. like preacher said bring some toys or something in case she gets bored

steelreserve
09-17-2010, 03:10 AM
I saw my first Steelers game when I was 6 years old, an away game where they were playing the 49ers. I remember everything about that game; you are definitely old enough to start appreciating sports at that point. And it was pretty sunny, but you're also old enough to handle it; it's not like you're a baby. I also distinctly recall that football was nowhere as boring as baseball (which I also saw live for the first time at 6 years old) and is a lot more capable of keeping your interest at that age. Although I have to say, 20 years later, going to a football game is a lot more of an agonizing grind because it seems like every 5 minutes, they stop the game for an extended period, like the classic touchdown-commercial-kickoff-another-set-of-commercials bit that they introduced in the 1990s.

This game also was in 1984, and happened to be one of the most awesome football games I could've gone to. That was the year the 49ers went 18-1 and their only loss was to the Steelers on a last-second field goal, after the 49ers missed a last-second field goal off the uprights that would've iced it. I'm sorry if I've told that story more than once, but it really was an awesome game.

Anyway ... my point is, I'd definitely take the kid and see how it turns out. It could end up being a great memory that will stick in her mind forever. I'd say especially so right now, because the current Steelers team is probably going to go down as the best except for the Steel Curtain, which by the time she grows up will mean the best team in 50 years. Saying you got to see Polamalu, Ward, Harrison play live? That will be something irreplaceable 20 years from now. Just go, seriously.

stlrtruck
09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Have you actually asked your daughter if she wanted to go yet? Yes I talked to her about it as she was bouncing around. Finally had her settled down enough to talk to her about the heat, etc. She said she wanted to go.

Depends, is your friend ME? Godfather, not that you aren't a friend (heck family being that we are Steelers fan), but it's not you.

Scott - I've gotten to know (and :love2:) the Princess and I know how much she enjoys spending time with her Daddy. Talk with her about it up front and let her know that since she is a little Steelers fan, she has to be able to "tough it out" at the game and stay for its entirety. Plus - if you throw in the possibility of her being able to get Troy's autograph, that is quite the incentive! :thumbsup:

I say - take her to the game. Trust me when I tell you this - those little ones grow up soooo fast and you don't want to miss out on even one opportunity to spend that very special time with 'em! :hug:

Thanks, I'm beginning to lean that way. I'm excited about the opportunity but also a bit nervous.

Take a friend that's a Bucs fan (if one can still be found) so you can point and laugh at him and wave your Terrible Towel in his face when we win! :pointlaugh: :tt02:

Yeah but that gets old after the first quarter. Especially with the way bucs fans whine!

In Tampa? I was looking at going to a game there this fall. I found out that there is a family section. Are your tickets in the family section? If so, I say absolutely take her. There will probably be enough kids that she willl be entertained the entire time.

The other thing is, like HTG said, This is a great Father-daughter bond time. Just remember to take a few toys and give them to her as she starts getting a little whiny... That's what my wife does to me!

No my seats are not in the family sections. Good luck getting tickets in that section. It's difficult to come by. My seats are in section 309, about the 45 yard line on the west side line (bucs side) which means the sun will mostly be to our backs and not in our face.

i took my five year old to a baseball game this year and it worked out pretty good. like preacher said bring some toys or something in case she gets bored

It sounds like I'm gonna have to bring the Leapster and a few video games or something.

Anyway ... my point is, I'd definitely take the kid and see how it turns out. It could end up being a great memory that will stick in her mind forever. I'd say especially so right now, because the current Steelers team is probably going to go down as the best except for the Steel Curtain, which by the time she grows up will mean the best team in 50 years. Saying you got to see Polamalu, Ward, Harrison play live? That will be something irreplaceable 20 years from now. Just go, seriously.

Never thought about that point.

Hmmmmm. Well, I'll definitely need to take the camera.

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like we're going to have a DDGD (Daddy Daughter Game Day) before Dec 19.

solardave
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Take your daughter by all means. Trust everyone who says take her. You will never forget it and she won't either. What is the worst that could happen? She whines and wants to go home. You would give up going to the game for her anyway right? I mean if something came up regarding her you would stay home? This is a great age for her realize what a super dad she has. She probably already knows that but this will re-inforce the idea. Have a great time and enjoy the game.

stlrtruck
09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Take your daughter by all means. Trust everyone who says take her. You will never forget it and she won't either. What is the worst that could happen? She whines and wants to go home. You would give up going to the game for her anyway right? I mean if something came up regarding her you would stay home? This is a great age for her realize what a super dad she has. She probably already knows that but this will re-inforce the idea. Have a great time and enjoy the game.

Thanks SD, that's a great perspective and I appreciate it.

I did decide to take her, and have even tried to call in a few favors to try to get pre-game on the field passes. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but oh well.

solardave
09-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks SD, that's a great perspective and I appreciate it.

I did decide to take her, and have even tried to call in a few favors to try to get pre-game on the field passes. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but oh well.
That's great. I just noticed you live in Dunedin. Years back I lived in Tampa. I got to see some Bucs games and saw the game when we played them and Testaverde hit House for like a 70 yd TD first play. I'm pretty sure the final score was 40-7.

solardave
09-18-2010, 09:49 AM
That's great. I just noticed you live in Dunedin. Years back I lived in Tampa. I got to see some Bucs games and saw the game when we played them and Testaverde hit House for like a 70 yd TD first play. I'm pretty sure the final score was 40-7.

Steelers-40
Bucs-7 that is.

stlrtruck
09-27-2010, 08:01 AM
SO Daddy Daughter Game Day was a HUGE success. While she wasn't exactly happy about the bucs scoring first (she thought that was the game), after the Steelers took the lead she livened up a little bit. Began waving her terrible towel, screaming for the Steelers to 'beat those bad bucs' and more. In the second half a guy had relocated his family near our seats and as his boys were cheering for the bucs, she had to scream even louder for the Steelers. She did great, even in the heat. Now I know she can make it through an entire game - I just need to work on the knowledge of the game with her (but maybe that's a bit later).

vasteeler
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
i am glad you guys had fun, i am thinking of taking my son to the rats game in balt

stlrtruck
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
i am glad you guys had fun, i am thinking of taking my son to the rats game in balt

Take him man. You might miss a bit of the game making sure he's okay etc (like I had to constantly make sure my daughter wasn't getting overheated and such).

But I wouldn't have changed anything being able to sit next to her and listen to her cheer for the Steelers and doing everything she could to be louder than the bucs fans next to her!

Hindes204
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Take him man. You might miss a bit of the game making sure he's okay etc (like I had to constantly make sure my daughter wasn't getting overheated and such).

But I wouldn't have changed anything being able to sit next to her and listen to her cheer for the Steelers and doing everything she could to be louder than the bucs fans next to her!

Thats awesome man! She will remember it forever. I went to my first game at three rivers stadium when I was 6, it was against the Houston Oilers and we won 21-10. I remember my dad being so happy...one of the few things we did together (he was, and still is, kind of distant). Hes kinda old school, not much into showing you he loves you, but I remember seeing it in his eyes when we would go to the games together. Those experiences with him are something I will never forget