PDA

View Full Version : Game ball and Goats

RunNGun
09-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Good win today. A complete team effort. Offense was still a little sloppy, but improved from last week. Bell looked a little better, but still needs some more work. Defense was lights out.

Game balls to the whole team. No one really stood out. Just a really solid team effort.

For the first time in as many games as I can remember, there were no goats. I can't even say someone in the secondary was bad. Burns and Haden were lights out. Hilton played really well. Mitchell and Davis were solid and our front 7 was wreaking havoc.

ALLD
09-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Game ball to the D. They won the game. AB and JuJu showed up on O. If Bell doesn't get rolling by the end of the first quarter next week they need to give Connor more reps.

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
The front seven was great today.

Also, the vikings defense is really a tough defense to play against, a lot of talent and great coaching.

Lady Steel
09-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Let's not forget about Martavis Bryant and Eli Rogers. The Outlaw had a few nice catches, too.

Honorable Mention to TJ Watt before his groin injury. He's a beast.

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Offense: Ben. Didn't look flashy, kind of like last week. Still wishing that our offense looked like the 30+ PPG capable unit it is, but the reality is that we just played one of the finest defenses from last season with one of the best defensive minds in football. Ben finished with a 104.8 QB Rating against that unit, despite Xavier Rhodes largely shutting down AB, Bryant being kept mostly at bay in the 2nd half, and having very little run game. He did a good job again of being unafraid to distribute the ball. Rogers was an integral part of that. Satisfied with the offensive performance today, even if i was underwhelmed.

Defense: Shazier destroyed so many plays, even on some snaps where he didnt record a pressure or a tackle. Its only a matter of time before the turnovers start coming in droves

RunNGun
09-17-2017, 03:20 PM
I believe the Vikes had a top 5 defense last year. It may have even been #1, so no one should have expected us to light up the scoreboard, but the O played pretty well against a very good defensive team.

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 03:21 PM
I believe the Vikes had a top 5 defense last year. It may have even been #1, so no one should have expected us to light up the scoreboard, but the O played pretty well against a very good defensive team.

Last year,the Vikings had 5 pro bowl on defense!

GoSlash27
09-17-2017, 03:22 PM
I was concerned about this game, given the performances of both teams last week.

Game ball to the coaching staff, who delivered a complete team.

Game goat (fairly small) to Ben Roethlisberger for not performing better.

- - - Updated - - -

I was concerned about this game, given the performances of both teams last week.

Edman
09-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Game Balls go to Bryant, Rogers, and the Defense. They were stout today.

Somebody really needs to give the Vikings Defense a lot of credit. They are top 5 unit. The Steelers O, not even close to being their best, still managed to put 26 on them.

RunNGun
09-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Offense: Ben. Didn't look flashy, kind of like last week. Still wishing that our offense looked like the 30+ PPG capable unit it is, but the reality is that we just played one of the finest defenses from last season with one of the best defensive minds in football. Ben finished with a 104.8 QB Rating against that unit, despite Xavier Rhodes largely shutting down AB, Bryant being kept mostly at bay in the 2nd half, and having very little run game. He did a good job again of being unafraid to distribute the ball. Rogers was an integral part of that. Satisfied with the offensive performance today, even if i was underwhelmed.

Defense: Shazier destroyed so many plays, even on some snaps where he didnt record a pressure or a tackle. Its only a matter of time before the turnovers start coming in droves

Agreed. Just a matter of time before the interceptions start coming. Olines can't handle this front 7 right now. Shazier is a freak out there. All over the field today. It was nice to see Bud get a sack and some pressure.

steelreserve
09-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Game ball to Sam Bradford for being inactive. He may not be an S-Rank quarterback, but playing against an F-Rank one helped a lot.

Game ball for the entire D and special teams; no one in particular stood out, but a solid game-winning effort in general.

No praise for the offense, that was a pretty dogshit performance.

SteelMayhem72
09-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Game Ball to the defense for playing with intensity. Also game ball to JuJu, rogers,bryant and brown. But goat goes to the offense as a whole...need to be in sync sooner in the game.

RunNGun
09-17-2017, 03:27 PM
I love JuJu's willingness to block. That hit he laid on Harrison Smith looked like a FB blocking. Impressive.

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Many need to see against which defense the steelers played.

Edman
09-17-2017, 03:29 PM
The Steelers Defense is starting to round out to form. They were fast and intense and put pressure on all day.

That's what has been missing from the D for past several years. The pressure they put on teams.

SteelMayhem72
09-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Many need to see against which defense the steelers played.Yes I know its good, what im talking about is being in sync...still seems there are communication issues, etc

Rotorhead
09-17-2017, 03:40 PM
GB to the Def, played well without Watt and Tuitt

tube517
09-17-2017, 03:46 PM
The Steelers Defense is starting to round out to form. They were fast and intense and put pressure on all day.

That's what has been missing from the D for past several years. The pressure they put on teams.

When TJ and Tuitt are back out there, watch out!

Even the subs can get pressure and hold down the line. (Alualu and Chick-fil-A). Solid depth. Deebo didn't even have to play. You can save him for later.

86WARD
09-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Game Balls:
• Offense - Bryant. He was just solid and looked like he's getting his game legs back.

• Defense - Watt, Shazier and most of all Heyward. Heyward was unstoppable early on. He just blew up that O-Line time after time.

Goats:
• Offense - Ben. The frivolous long balls need to stop. A whole drive (plus) was wasted because they were trying to force their will on the Vikings D when it wasn't really there.

• Defense - can't really think of anything that was "glaringly" bad on the D.

Craic
09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Game Ball: Steelers. It was nice to see them play as a team today. Last week, they played as individuals. This week, they played as a team. Sure, it wasn't pretty, but it was a step forward.

Honorable Mention: Le'Veon Bell. Still doesn't have the spring in his step that we're used to seeing, but he made definite strides forward today as well. Many will look at his average and shrug, but the difference today was that every yard was hard earned, and he made some holes where there weren't any. Last week, he was taking what was given to him and nothing more.

Burns. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a shut-down corner yet, but he's getting there.

Brown. Proof of the saying that you can't keep a good man down. Overall numbers weren't impressive, but when it was needed, he had his hands on the ball.

Bryant. Drew a massive PI call and then caught another long ball and also had a TD.

Rogers. The kid just will not let anyone push him out of that slot position. Had several nice catches today.

Porter and Olsavsky. They've really got the LBs rolling this year and playing well.

Goats: no one.

Dishonorable Mention: A-Villa. He got beat a few times like a rented mule. Stuck in there, however, but it wasn't one of his better games.

Bell. Yep, he gets a mention in both spots. He's definitely lost that spring in his step as mentioned above. Seems to be running flat-footed right now. My guess is that he's still getting used to game speed again. I wonder how long it'll take for him to realize that his staying out of training camp will probably cost him a few million off his next contract because his overall numbers will be down this year compared to what they should have been.

86WARD
09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
JuJu had a good day as well.

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2017, 03:55 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Ben had a 104.8 QB Rating against one of the best defenses in the NFL from a season ago (and a unit where there is no reason to believe is going to be much weaker if at all this season). Half of that unit is pro bowlers. Thats extremely nitpicky, and im usually pretty hard on the team's offensive performance

Craic
09-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Yes I know its good, what im talking about is being in sync...still seems there are communication issues, etc

Yes, but look around the league, and the back in history. That's pretty much on par for game 2 of an NFL season. It takes 3-4 games for the NFL to hit their stride usually, which is why the separation usually happens between good and bad teams starting around week 5-7.

Moose
09-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Good win today. A complete team effort. Offense was still a little sloppy, but improved from last week. Bell looked a little better, but still needs some more work. Defense was lights out.

Game balls to the whole team. No one really stood out. Just a really solid team effort.

For the first time in as many games as I can remember, there were no goats. I can't even say someone in the secondary was bad. Burns and Haden were lights out. Hilton played really well. Mitchell and Davis were solid and our front 7 was wreaking havoc.

Pretty much gotta agree with ya on this reply RunNGun. JuJu made key play's when needed. J.James played good for the time in. Brown kept their coverage busy and helped get other's open. Ben's throws were high/low, but it may have been do to the rushing. It actually looked like the coaches had the game plan figured and working for 60 minutes and everyone on the same page. To me it looks like the discipline.....penalties were the only bitch I had.

ALLD
09-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Bell has an opportunity to make a 180* next week against the hapless Bears. If he doesn't get it going early I would stick Connor in for a quarter.

Craic
09-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Ben had a 104.8 QB Rating against one of the best defenses in the NFL from a season ago (and a unit where there is no reason to believe is going to be much weaker if at all this season). Half of that unit is pro bowlers. Thats extremely nitpicky, and im usually pretty hard on the team's offensive performance

Ben's Ben. He had his ups and downs and a few times I wondered why he through the ball where he did. That QB rating seems a tad high. It is padded by a few decent runs after the catch and Bryant's nice TD run after the catch. Nonetheless, the eye test tells me he had at least an average game. Again one of the top defenses in the NFL, I'll take an average game because Ben's average is better than most.

st33lersguy
09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Game Balls: The entire defense was great, pass rush was constantly harassing Keenum all day. Cam Heyward was hardly blocked, Bud Dupree had a great return, Hargrave drove a guy back. Watt was dominant before his injury (damnit!). Also special again made a big play

Goats: Red zone offense, they have a lack of killer instinct, and most of their points were set up on short fields. No TDs after early 2nd quarter.

SteelMayhem72
09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Yes, but look around the league, and the back in history. That's pretty much on par for game 2 of an NFL season. It takes 3-4 games for the NFL to hit their stride usually, which is why the separation usually happens between good and bad teams starting around week 5-7. Yes, I know all this...you ask the guys on Offense they will tell you this. A lot of stuff to clean up...guess it goes without me saying

Moose
09-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Bell has an opportunity to make a 180* next week against the hapless Bears. If he doesn't get it going early I would stick Connor in for a quarter.

I'd love to see Conner have some play time too....he could be awesome .

st33lersguy
09-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Another game ball I forgot earlier, the Bo$. That guy continues to be money

tube517
09-17-2017, 04:05 PM
AV had a bad game and looked sluggish....not an excuse but Tomlin in the post game presser said AV was sick and dehydrated and was in and out of the game.

TJ had the groin injury.
Outlaw with an ankle injury but came back in.

Edman
Porter and Olsavsky. They've really got the LBs rolling this year and playing well.

It helps that they have healthy, legitmate LB's and not being stuck with Jarvis Jones, who sucks.

Same thing goes for the secondary. We got by so far with the Ross Cockrells and Antwon Blakes, but Joe Haden is quietly holding down the other end of the field.

BurghBoy412
Game Ball: Steelers. It was nice to see them play as a team today. Last week, they played as individuals. This week, they played as a team. Sure, it wasn't pretty, but it was a step forward.

Honorable Mention: Le'Veon Bell. Still doesn't have the spring in his step that we're used to seeing, but he made definite strides forward today as well. Many will look at his average and shrug, but the difference today was that every yard was hard earned, and he made some holes where there weren't any. Last week, he was taking what was given to him and nothing more.

Burns. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a shut-down corner yet, but he's getting there.

Brown. Proof of the saying that you can't keep a good man down. Overall numbers weren't impressive, but when it was needed, he had his hands on the ball.

Bryant. Drew a massive PI call and then caught another long ball and also had a TD.

Rogers. The kid just will not let anyone push him out of that slot position. Had several nice catches today.

Goats: no one.

Dishonorable Mention: A-Villa. He got beat a few times like a rented mule. Stuck in there, however, but it wasn't one of his better games.

Bell. Yep, he gets a mention in both spots. He's definitely lost that spring in his step as mentioned above. Seems to be running flat-footed right now. My guess is that he's still getting used to game speed again. I wonder how long it'll take for him to realize that his staying out of training camp will probably cost him a few million off his next contract because his overall numbers will be down this year compared to what they should have been.In Villanueva's Defense. Everson Griffen gives the very best players hell.

polamalubeast
Another game ball I forgot earlier, the Bo$. That guy continues to be money

I do not understand why Tomlin did not trust him early in the 4th quarter.

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2017, 04:11 PM
I dont think people realize we jumped out to our early lead because of the deep ball, not in spite of it. Brown got Xavier Rhodes to bite on pass interference on both of the early TD drives. Once for 22 yards, and again for 49 yards. Both of those plays are receptions if Rhodes doesnt play grab ass. This guy had the lowest QB Rating allowed of all cornerbacks. Antonio was fortunate to get the receptions he did. No small task. Ben should have thrown to James who was also deep down the field on one of his incompletions to Brown, but still an overall efficient game against great competition. Rogers had a deep ball dropped that he would probably like to have back, that he could have possibly leaned forward for another touchdown

Craic
09-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Correction: Just found out A-Villa was sick today and dealing with dehydration, was probably sick for the last couple of days. So I'll give him a pass for today. In fact, if he was that sick, then today's effort showed a lot of intestinal fortitude.

Also, Bud Dupree gets a gameball. Forgot about him, but he came out and had himself a very nice game today.

stillers4me
09-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I do not understand why Tomlin did not trust him early in the 4th quarter.

He trusted the defense more.

Craic
09-17-2017, 04:28 PM
In Villanueva's Defense. Everson Griffen gives the very best players hell.

As I noted above, I just found out he was actually sick and dehydrated, so yeah, he gets a pass for this game.

Shoes
09-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Ben's Ben. He had his ups and downs and a few times I wondered why he through the ball where he did. That QB rating seems a tad high. It is padded by a few decent runs after the catch and Bryant's nice TD run after the catch. Nonetheless, the eye test tells me he had at least an average game. Again one of the top defenses in the NFL, I'll take an average game because Ben's average is better than most.

Plus this is Bens 2nd preseason game.

- - - Updated - - -

How about Dirty Red in pass coverage!!

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 04:52 PM

BurghBoy412
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
How about Ben with the ball distribution. 6 different receivers with 3+ catches.

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 05:16 PM
The things that the steelers need to be better on offense is on 3rd down(8/26 after 2 games,3/13 vs MIN)

Steeldude
09-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Where was Harrison? Did he even play a single snap? Injured?

Craic
09-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Where was Harrison? Did he even play a single snap? Injured?

My guess is he's being held out for later in the season.

teegre
09-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Mike Hilton led the team with 9 tackles... and, an awesome sack.

salamander
09-17-2017, 05:37 PM
I didn't get to watch the game because it wasn't on the air in my area (I was stuck with the Eagles game because of where I live), but from what I've seen and what I'm hearing, there doesn't seem to be anyone or anything specifically negative about the game today. The Vikes have a good defense and are not a bad team. I'll take a 26-9 win any day.

teegre
09-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I didn't get to watch the game because it wasn't on the air in my area (I was stuck with the Eagles game because of where I live), but from what I've seen and what I'm hearing, there doesn't seem to be anyone or anything specifically negative about the game today. The Vikes have a good defense and are not a bad team. I'll take a 26-9 win any day.

This pretty much sums up the game. :nod:

As polamalubeast already posted, third downs need work (as well as red-zone efficiency), but that Vikings defense is legit... so, I'll gladly take those 26 points.

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2017, 06:00 PM
This pretty much sums up the game. :nod:

As polamalubeast already posted, third downs need work (as well as red-zone efficiency), but that Vikings defense is legit... so, I'll gladly take those 26 points.

Hell, ill take 26 points against any Mike Zimmer defense

Iron Steeler
09-17-2017, 06:53 PM
2-0 against deshonne Kizer and Case Keenum.

although I am happy about the wins. We need to play better football if we want to be considered elite.

fansince'76
09-17-2017, 07:03 PM
2-0 against deshonne Kizer and Case Keenum.

although I am happy about the wins. We need to play better football if we want to be considered elite.

No offense, but it doesn't sound like it...

Texasteel
09-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Just finished watching the game. Bryant looks to be well on his way back. Who ever found Rodgers should get a raise.

polamalubeast
09-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Let's hope the steelers offense are close to explode ... They just need to finish drive with a TD and be better in 3rd down

Ben had only 3 incomplete pass in the 2nd half.(14-17)

Shoes
09-17-2017, 08:15 PM

Let's hope the steelers offense are close to explode ... They just need to finish drive with a TD and be better in 3rd down

Ben had only 3 incomplete pass in the 2nd half.(14-17)

I have no doubt they will. Ben, Bell & Bryant just finished their 2nd preseason game, Big Al has been sick the last few days, Tuitt was out and Watt was out most of the game and they played a very good defense. I'm not concerned at all.

st33lersguy
09-17-2017, 08:22 PM
The most important thing is that they are 2-0. Minnesota is no easy win and they won by 17 points. The biggest issue right now is Watt's injury

Shoes
09-17-2017, 08:27 PM
The most important thing is that they are 2-0. Minnesota is no easy win and they won by 17 points. The biggest issue right now is Watt's injury

Watt said he thinks it's minor and isn't worried about it.

@ :22

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Around-the-Locker-Room---vs-Vikings/104fcaaf-9557-4ee9-9080-50b7824dd1ac

st33lersguy
09-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Watt said he thinks it's minor and isn't worried about it.

@ :22

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Around-the-Locker-Room---vs-Vikings/104fcaaf-9557-4ee9-9080-50b7824dd1ac

That's really good.

Iron Steeler
09-17-2017, 08:44 PM
No offense, but it doesn't sound like it...

I am happy. not impressed.

86WARD
09-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Forcing the long ball was kinda annoying.

polamalubeast
09-18-2017, 05:20 PM

43Hitman
09-19-2017, 04:29 AM
909819653358096384Some fans will never be happy. I just ignore them anymore, not worth the frustration of trying to explain how freaking lucky we are to be Steelers fans. Spoiled rotten!!

86WARD
09-19-2017, 10:31 AM
For me, the problem with the Vikings deep throws were for almost two series in a row, they just threw/chucked it deep every time and it wasn't there and it wasn't even close. Wasn't like Coates was out there and dropped it...they just wasted two drives trying to get huge chunks of yardage.

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 01:24 PM
In Week 1, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw deep a total of five times, including penalty plays, and that resulted in several fans of the team wondering why more shots weren’t taken. On Sunday against the Vikings, Roethlisberger threw deep a total of 10 times and that resulted in some fans wondering if that was too much. On Tuesday, Tomlin was asked if those double-digit deep pass attempts against the Vikings were part of the game plan, or just a result of what the defense was inviting due to some alignments they showed.

“It’s always both,” Tomlin said. “We’re not going to allow you to play on the line of scrimmage and not stretch you. We’re not going to allow you to play man-to-man and not stretch you. We want you to defend the entire field, both vertically and horizontally, and that’s our mentality. But it was also coupled with the techniques that they employed. They’ve [the Vikings] got top-flight, first-round corners, high pedigree guys, guys that have big contracts, so, the game unfolded in the ways that it unfolded.”

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/tomlin-refutes-claim-steelers-offense-relies-much-pi-penalties/

- - - Updated - - -

teegre
09-19-2017, 02:08 PM
BB should throw deep less, to be more like Aaron Rodgers.
Wait... he should throw deep more, to be more like Tom Brady.
Wait... he should throw deep less, to be more like Derek Carr.
Wait... he should throw deep more, to be more like Drew Brees.
Wait...

Ugh!!!

:director: BB IS TOO FAT!!!!!

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Mojouw
09-19-2017, 05:11 PM
I watched that play multiple times on my DVR and then on this GIF.

He doesn't "let up". He is always running to that spot. He simply gears up and down and makes Trae Waynes shift his feet enough that Waynes then has ZERO chance of recovering. Particular because on a full clip of that whole play, you can see Bryant look at Ben as the ball is snapped. He knew what was up.

I hate this new NFL coverage item. Anytime a player doesn't flat out sprint, they are dogging it. Bryant sees, Waynes not fully opening his hips to turn and run. He sells him that he is slowing down to make a turn/cut. Waynes closes. Bryant then revs it back up and Waynes is too out of position to do a blessed thing.

I'm gonna go with route running 101. But maybe he was dogging it. What do I know?

DesertSteel
09-19-2017, 05:36 PM

He doesn't "let up". He is always running to that spot. He simply gears up and down and makes Trae Waynes shift his feet enough that Waynes then has ZERO chance of recovering. Particular because on a full clip of that whole play, you can see Bryant look at Ben as the ball is snapped. He knew what was up.

I hate this new NFL coverage item. Anytime a player doesn't flat out sprint, they are dogging it. Bryant sees, Waynes not fully opening his hips to turn and run. He sells him that he is slowing down to make a turn/cut. Waynes closes. Bryant then revs it back up and Waynes is too out of position to do a blessed thing.

I'm gonna go with route running 101. But maybe he was dogging it. What do I know?
Yes! This.

pczach
09-19-2017, 06:55 PM

The problem with a lot of these evaluations is that they mean nothing without context. I really don't know what the route calls for. Maybe it calls for Bryant to not run full out and then to explode based on the look of the defense. I don't know. You would have to know the offense to know for sure.

Most good wide receivers will tell you that you never run full speed all the time. You always set up the defender and then explode at the right moment to accelerate by them or away from them. At least that is the case when running more precise routes, and then setting the CB up for the deep ball.

When running a fly pattern or any deep pattern, the WR can adjust the way the route is run based on the way the defender plays it on that particular play. If a CB is up close the LOS or playing press coverage on the WR, defeating the tight coverage and quickly using your hands to beat the CB and accelerate at full speed to create separation is the way it is played. If a CB is playing off coverage, there could be a designed adjustment to the route based on coverage where the WR sets up the CB by slowing down to get him to commit, and then accelerate as fast as he could to fly past the CB.

I don't know if this is what we are seeing in this play. Only the team knows if that is something in the offense and practiced with Ben and Bryant. I have no way of knowing definitively with limited knowledge.