PDA

View Full Version : The full list of Modern-Era nominees for the Class of 2018

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 07:36 PM

Do you think Faneca will be in the HOF this year?

And for Hines Ward, I'll just be happy if he's a finalist!

GBMelBlount
09-12-2017, 07:37 PM
I do believe Faneca will get in.

teegre
09-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Randy Moss is a lock. :nod:

Knifey McStab is a lock. :puke:

IMO, I think Hines is a HOF player. But, I'm in the vast minority.

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Ray Lewis is a lock, for Randy Moss, I do not know if he's going to be a first ballot HOF.This is probably the hardest position to be a first ballot HOF.

It took a lot of time for Cris Carter and others.I know that Randy Moss was much better but still.

For Hines Ward, we'll have to be patient, but I'm confident that Ward will be in one day.

st33lersguy
09-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Faneca needs to get in. He should have been in earlier.

BurghBoy412
09-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Lewis and Moss are locks.
Possibly Jeff Saturday, John Lynch, Richard Seymour, Dawk?

I really have no freaking idea.

Steelermania
09-12-2017, 11:22 PM
I can only imagine the speech from the Stabbin Killerman.

FrancoLambert
09-13-2017, 05:02 AM

Imagine away, because you certainly won't be able to understand the sounds that leave his mouth.

tube517
09-13-2017, 06:11 AM

He'll probably be credited for 3 tackles at the podium by the Ratbirds stat people while in a group picture w/the other enshrinees. (BTW, they better watch their back)

ALLD
09-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Phil Simms will get in despite being an unwatchable television analyst.
Randy Moss deserves to get in despite his attitude.
Ray Lewis will get in despite him coasting the last few years of his career and killing somebody.
Jimmy Johnson was a HoF coach.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Ray Lewis, Randy Moss are both arguably top 5 at their position in history. Should get in. Faneca and Kevin Mawae were dominant in their era at respective positions. Ty Law also was a big play CB for a decade. All those coaches are crazy, I mean how do you not have Dick Vermeil, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Don Coryel in the hall. One could argue that Al Davis held Flores strings, but all hall worthy. Cowher too belongs, but will take a couple more years.

...and the Terrell Owens debate will continue as well.

Dwinsgames
09-13-2017, 10:11 AM
its a flawed process , much like the probowl in a way a popularity contest ...

the hall is only so big , limited numbers of new entries but many that will never make it are better than many that are already inducted

and some older players not in that should be

pretty hard to justify that IMO

via the era I get it but still difficult to digest

Shell per example not in , but Dawkins , Atwater getting a shot at entry ..

while both where great players in their own right neither where better than Shell , a solid argument could be presented that they where not as good without much effort in doing so ..

maybe it is time to look at the guidelines of the hall , a giant bronze plaque wall for those who where once on display but no longer fit the criteria of being on display ?and let those with better number , better results replace them ?

maybe I am way off base IDK but it sucks seeing players deserving omitted while less deserving are on display ...

at the same time I do not want it watered down , I want it to remain a Hall of Fame and not become a hall of the very good

polamalubeast
09-13-2017, 10:33 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2017, 10:51 AM
its a flawed process , much like the probowl in a way a popularity contest ...

the hall is only so big , limited numbers of new entries but many that will never make it are better than many that are already inducted

and some older players not in that should be

pretty hard to justify that IMO

via the era I get it but still difficult to digest

Shell per example not in , but Dawkins , Atwater getting a shot at entry ..

while both where great players in their own right neither where better than Shell , a solid argument could be presented that they where not as good without much effort in doing so ..

maybe it is time to look at the guidelines of the hall , a giant bronze plaque wall for those who where once on display but no longer fit the criteria of being on display ?and let those with better number , better results replace them ?

maybe I am way off base IDK but it sucks seeing players deserving omitted while less deserving are on display ...

at the same time I do not want it watered down , I want it to remain a Hall of Fame and not become a hall of the very good

I don't think Atwater deserves hall entry, Dawkins was rather impactful in his years, but again I think he belongs in Hall of Very Good. As a Steeler fan that started watching in 79' I remember Shell being an important part of those defenses, but he wasn't the marquee guy on those teams and the Safety position wasn't as impactful as the modern day safety. Maybe the fact he totaled all those INT's is even more impressive, but he is a guy that is a bit of a victim of being on such great teams with guys at other positions. I honestly don't ever remember tuning in and being excited to watch Donnie Shell play and maybe the writers/voters see it that way too.

Mojouw
09-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Faneca won't get in until after Hutchinson does. For their "era" Hutchinson was regarded as the better guard. Not certain I agree, but that is my impression of what others (@ least Hall voters) will think.

Ward is going to have to wait a long time to get in. Far too many WRs in his era with much better overall #'s and/or perceptions.

polamalubeast
09-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Faneca won't get in until after Hutchinson does. For their "era" Hutchinson was regarded as the better guard. Not certain I agree, but that is my impression of what others (@ least Hall voters) will think.

Ward is going to have to wait a long time to get in. Far too many WRs in his era with much better overall #'s and/or perceptions.

Faneca could be ahead of Hutchinson, since this is the first year that Hutchinson is a nominees and this is going to be the 3rd year for Faneca

For Ward, I expect him to be an HOF around in his 10th year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Faneca could be ahead of Hutchinson, since this is the first year that Hutchinson is a nominees and this is going to be the 3rd year for Faneca

For Ward, I expect him to be an HOF around in his 10th year.

I agree, Will Shields and Alan Faneca were the 2 best guards of their era in the NFL. Hutch belongs too, but not before Faneca.

SteelerFanInStl
09-13-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't think Atwater deserves hall entry, Dawkins was rather impactful in his years, but again I think he belongs in Hall of Very Good. As a Steeler fan that started watching in 79' I remember Shell being an important part of those defenses, but he wasn't the marquee guy on those teams and the Safety position wasn't as impactful as the modern day safety. Maybe the fact he totaled all those INT's is even more impressive, but he is a guy that is a bit of a victim of being on such great teams with guys at other positions. I honestly don't ever remember tuning in and being excited to watch Donnie Shell play and maybe the writers/voters see it that way too.

I was always excited to watch Donnie "Torpedo" Shell play. I'll never forget the hit that he put on Earl Campbell that broke his ribs.

He definitely should be in the HOF. His career stats support it.

polamalubeast
09-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Can't believe that the other Steve Smith is in this list!!!:toofunny:

86WARD
09-13-2017, 01:29 PM

I think he is too. They changed rules because of him...lol. It will take a while for Him to get in but he will.