PDA

View Full Version : Head-hunting Steelers will pay a price

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Ed Bouchette

The Steelers’ reputation for big hits that are illegal or borderline came to a head (a few times literally) Sunday in Cleveland.

A handful of Steelers can expect to pay the price, too, with heavy fines this week for the unusually large number of unnecessary roughness penalties called against them in the season opener.

Mike Tomlin may think the officiating crew deserves one too.

The Steelers coach said he was “irate” because he believes referee Craig Wrolstad’s crew illegally used a replay on the video board in First Energy Stadium to throw a flag long after William Gay’s hit dislodged the ball from the hands of receiver Ricardo Louis in the third quarter along the sideline.

“That’s why I was irate,” Tomlin said Tuesday. “Look, I’m a big player-safety guy, obviously. I’m on the competition committee, so very rarely are you going to hear arguments from me regarding calls relevant to that, provided they’re done in real time. I thought they called it off the Jumbotron and I won’t accept that.”

Gay’s was one of four unnecessary roughness penalties called against the Steelers defense in the opener. That not only leads the league, it follows a recent trend by the Steelers for roughing penalties assessed against them.

Last season, they were tied with Baltimore for 11 UR penalties. In 2015, they tied for fourth with 11, and in 2014 they tied for seventh with eight. They have not been out of the top 10 since 2012 when they had only two all season — half as many as they had in this year’s opener.

Does it show a lack of discipline by the Steelers, or is the big-hit mentality merely part of their DNA that goes back decades?

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/12/pittsburgh-steelers-penalties-unnecessary-roughness-nfl-rules-2017/stories/201709120180

ALLD
09-12-2017, 03:37 PM
It shows the refs targeting the team. The PI on Watt looked like he never even touched the QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2017, 04:01 PM
It shows the refs targeting the team. The PI on Watt looked like he never even touched the QB.

-With Watt it was a late hit for piling on when the QB was already on the ground. It was the correct call.
-The PI on Sean Davis was correct, as he contacted the receiver before the ball was there.
-The helmet to helmet contact by Gay was correct.........but they missed the call and must have looked at the jumbotron and then thrown the flag. That is wrong. So the refs missed the call and if its reviewable, then it should be challenged, but they should not make the call based on stadium replay.

43Hitman
09-12-2017, 04:10 PM
-With Watt it was a late hit for piling on when the QB was already on the ground. It was the correct call.
-The PI on Sean Davis was correct, as he contacted the receiver before the ball was there.
-The helmet to helmet contact by Gay was correct.........but they missed the call and must have looked at the jumbotron and then thrown the flag. That is wrong. So the refs missed the call and if its reviewable, then it should be challenged, but they should not make the call based on stadium replay.
Right, and if they are going to start "reviewing"(we all know he peeked at the jumbotron) penalties then PI definitely needs to be reviewable. However, I hope the NFL does not go down that road. I actually would like them to adopt the college rule for PI, it's just a 15 yarder and an automatic first down. No more Moonball Joe Prayers to bail you out.