PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Steelers Fear Stephon Tuitt Suffered Torn Bicep, Will Miss Season

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:06 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers believe Stephon Tuitt suffered a torn bicep early in today’s game, ending his season, per this tweet from ESPN’s Adam Schefter filed a short time ago.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/schefter-steelers-fear-stephon-tuitt-suffered-torn-bicep-will-miss-season/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/schefter-steelers-fear-stephon-tuitt-suffered-torn-bicep-will-miss-season/)

lipps83
09-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Well....dayum if its true.

salamander
09-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Of course.... because why not? :doh:

If it was going to happen, I guess it's better to happen in week 1 rather than, say, week 14 or 15.

Hawkman
09-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Damn!

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Who is behind Alualu? Gravedigger can play DE I believe?

teegre
09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Who is behind Alualu? Gravedigger can play DE I believe?

Alualu played the rest of the game at DE. He was supposed to be depth/part of a rotation.

But, Yes, I would play Hargrave at DE.

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
misleading title (however likely it may be). geez, from the look of the gif's in the article it doesnt look like much, but it is what it is. fingers crossed that the MRI comes out promising. Even a chance to have Tuitt back as one of our IR designated returns at the end of the regular season would be huge

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Alualu played the rest of the game at DE. He was supposed to be depth/part of a rotation.

But, Yes, I would play Hargrave at DE.

What about Huguenin on the PS? Big Dan better put his big boy pants on and step it up.

teegre
09-10-2017, 09:19 PM
What about Huguenin on the PS? Big Dan better put his big boy pants on and step it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm really asking), but doesn't Huguenin play OLB?

Where'd Johnny Maxey end up???

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Not sure, they have him listed as a DE on the depth chart?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

steelreserve
09-10-2017, 09:22 PM
That is likely the worst possible injury besides Been or Brown blowing out a knee. Changes the entire defense and we have no one who can replace what he does. And no one who can be signed to do even close to the same job.

Also, my impression from seeing these injuries happen is that if you're a lineman and you tear your bicep/tricep/pectoral muscle, a couple years later you tear it again, and after that you basically hobble though a few games for a season or two and then you have to retire. Really hoping it doesn't follow that pattern.

And from a completely cynical viewpoint, I bet we could've saved $15 million or so by waiting a day on the contract. What a total shitfuck all around.

teegre
09-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Not sure, they have him listed as a DE on the depth chart?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM&app=desktop

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Maxey was waived by the steelers on 9-2-17, maybe they will snatch him back up.

teegre
09-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Maxey was waived by the steelers on 9-2-17, maybe they will snatch him back up.

If I were Colbert, I'd have Maxey on the phone already.

Maxey was the most surprising cut (IMO) anyway. Bring him back!!!

lipps83
09-10-2017, 09:28 PM
I am having a hard time seeing how it happened, unless it was just a freak occurrence. It doesn't even really look like he was contacted at all, it was just him reaching out to make the tackle and then you see him grab at it.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 09:29 PM
If I were Colbert, I'd have Maxey on the phone already.

Maxey was the most surprising cut (IMO) anyway. Bring him back!!!

Agreed!
Lavon Hooks on the PS is also listed as a DE, but Huguein is listed as OLB :juggle:

AtlantaDan
09-10-2017, 09:29 PM
That is likely the worst possible injury besides Been or Brown blowing out a knee. Changes the entire defense and we have no one who can replace what he does. And no one who can be signed to do even close to the same job. And from a completely cynical viewpoint, I bet we could've saved $15 million or so by waiting a day on the contract. What a total shitfuck all around.

Agreed this sucks

But Tuitt could have not signed, not been injured, had a Pro Bowl season and then left for the highest bidder in 2018

Players risk getting injured by not signing (Bell) - teams risk signing players that get injured in week one (Tuitt, Greg Lloyd) - risks cut both ways - Lloyd's knee injury effectively ended his career - an upper body injury like Tuitt's hopefully just ends a season

steelreserve
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I am having a hard time seeing how it happened, unless it was just a freak occurrence. It doesn't even really look like he was contacted at all, it was just him reaching out to make the tackle and then you see him grab at it.

Who knows, he could've messed it up on the play before and then just an ordinary tackle was enough to make it serious. Or just a random freak accident. Either way it sucks ass.

Agreed this sucks

But Tuitt could have not signed, not been injured, had a Pro Bowl season and then left for the highest bidder in 2018

Players risk getting injured by not signing (Bell) - teams risk signing players that get injured in week one (Tuitt, Greg Lloyd) - risks cut both ways - Lloyd's knee injury effectively ended his career - an upper body injury like Tuitt's hopefully just ends a season

I'm not suggesting we should've done that, just what crappy luck with the timing.

Now if you want to talk about whether our self-imposed deadline with contracts came back to cost us some money ... I'd say it's done that many times, but that's a separate topic.

Psycho Ward 86
09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
That is likely the worst possible injury besides Been or Brown blowing out a knee. Changes the entire defense and we have no one who can replace what he does. And no one who can be signed to do even close to the same job.

Also, my impression from seeing these injuries happen is that if you're a lineman and you tear your bicep/tricep/pectoral muscle, a couple years later you tear it again, and after that you basically hobble though a few games for a season or two and then you have to retire. Really hoping it doesn't follow that pattern.

And from a completely cynical viewpoint, I bet we could've saved $15 million or so by waiting a day on the contract. What a total shitfuck all around.

i wouldnt say that. when we lost Heyward for the year last season our defense evolved from mediocre to a top 5 unit for the rest of the season (until the patriots brought us down to earth). Tuitt stepped up in his absence and so Hargrave rotated in for some snaps at DE along with playing NT. Now were likely going to be playing this situation in reverse. We already know Heyward will play at his typical pro-bowl/borderline pro bowl level. Hargrave has a year under his belt and should only get better from his studly rookie season. Alualu is a far better DE to throw into rotation than Mathews. This might have been the year that Tuitt takes his quantum leap as the best defender on the team, but were at least well equipped to weather the casualty.

As for your last sentiment, i think this is just Aaron Smith paranoia. Im pretty pissed about the likely severity of the injury but the sky seriously isnt falling folks.

BurghBoy412
09-10-2017, 09:37 PM
I'm going to speculate here. By the looks of the play... I don't think it's going to end up ending his season. I'm going to go with strained bicep tendon.

Hawkman
09-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I'm going to speculate here. By the looks of the play... I don't think it's going to end up ending his season. I'm going to go with strained bicep tendon.

I'm really hoping you're right.

steelreserve
09-10-2017, 10:13 PM
i wouldnt say that. when we lost Heyward for the year last season our defense evolved from mediocre to a top 5 unit for the rest of the season (until the patriots brought us down to earth). Tuitt stepped up in his absence and so Hargrave rotated in for some snaps at DE along with playing NT. Now were likely going to be playing this situation in reverse. We already know Heyward will play at his typical pro-bowl/borderline pro bowl level. Hargrave has a year under his belt and should only get better from his studly rookie season. Alualu is a far better DE to throw into rotation than Mathews. This might have been the year that Tuitt takes his quantum leap as the best defender on the team, but were at least well equipped to weather the casualty.

As for your last sentiment, i think this is just Aaron Smith paranoia. Im pretty pissed about the likely severity of the injury but the sky seriously isnt falling folks.

The difference between Heyward and Tuitt being injured is pretty significant if you ask me. I think Tuitt does some things no one else on the DL can and everyone suffers in his absence. Whereas when Heyward was out, it sucked to lose a top-tier rusher, but we didn't lose that special something and could kind of fake it in his absence.

Basically Tuitt does a mix of Aaron Smith/Casey Hampton from the DE position, and he is the guy who creates the disruption that everyone feeds off of. I don't think anyone else on the team quite has that certain talent.

The bicep injury comment wasn't just Aaron Smith; same thing happened to Justin Smith on the 49ers, someone on the Bengals or Ravens I think, and a couple other cases I can recall. Torn arm muscles seem to be to defensive linemen what back problems are to offensive linemen; can mess up your whole career. The one thing going for Tuitt is that he's a lot younger than most others in that boat, so maybe he makes a full recovery. I hope so.