PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

Shoes
09-10-2017, 05:34 PM
For a game in which the Pittsburgh Steelers won, it does not appear that many people are all too happy with the specifics of how things went down. But there was at least the bright spot of a solid debut performance for rookie first-round draft pick T.J. Watt, who put together a nice stat sheet for himself.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/t-j-shows-steelers-watt-can-2-sack-1-int-debut/

GBMelBlount
09-10-2017, 07:40 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder763/23363763.jpg

st33lersguy
09-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Dude dominated

katmandu
09-10-2017, 09:36 PM
The kid is the real deal !

teegre
09-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Is it safe to say that today was the floor, and TJ's ceiling is still a season or two away.

fansince'76
09-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Dong sacks!

:chuckle:

DesertSteel
09-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Like I said a long time ago, forget this "If TJ is 50% of JJ" crap. He may not reach 100% but he's his own player and I think the potential is there to get close to JJ.

Craic
09-10-2017, 10:11 PM
I'll repeat what I said in a thread last week. He's a rookies, so if has a bad day I won't get too down on him because he has a lot to learn. If he has a great day I won't crown him, I still remember Kendrell Bell too well.

Getting more specific about his game today, while I'm not the "dong sack" guy (that still cracks me up), his sacks weren't impressive. It's what I expect a good, veteran NFL player to do. And that's the part that excites me. He showed good awareness, hustle, and a motor that kept turning. To see a rookie making plays I expect good veterans to make is nice. I also saw him get swallowed up a few times by OTs, but that'll happen to everyone, and as I keep saying, it'll keep happening to him until he fills out his frame with a couple more years in the weight room.

What did impress me the most was his athleticism and soft hands with the interception. It really shouldn't as he was a former TE, but to see him climb the latter and snag the ball out of the air the way he did, then have the presence of mind to remember in the NFL, the play wasn't over until he was touched was a thing of beauty.

On a veteran scale, I'd give him an A- for today (I just can't give him more until he gets better at fighting off tackles). But on a rookie scale, he gets an A+ for today's game.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said a long time ago, forget this "If TJ is 50% of JJ" crap. He may not reach 100% but he's his own player and I think the potential is there to get close to JJ.

Or, said in a different way, TJ is his own man, and I'm looking forward to seeing what that means for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Dong sacks!

:chuckle:

T J Wattadong...... :rofl:

What about Chikiladong with 2 sacks as well and 6 tackles?

tube517
09-11-2017, 05:24 AM
T J Wattadong...... :rofl:

What about Chikiladong with 2 sacks as well and 6 tackles?

Those were Chick sacks... :chuckle:

DesertSteel
09-11-2017, 10:58 AM
When TJ ends up with 15 sacks, there will be several posters who find a way to minimize each one throughout the season. Does anybody remember how long it's been since a Steeler put up double-digit sacks?

tube517
09-11-2017, 11:01 AM
When TJ ends up with 15 sacks, there will be several posters who find a way to minimize each one throughout the season. Does anybody remember how long it's been since a Steeler put up double-digit sacks?

2010 Harrison (10.5) and Woodley (10)

DesertSteel
09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Exactly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 11:09 AM

But Woodley was fat and all he did was get dong sacks. :sarcasm:

tube517
09-11-2017, 11:18 AM
But Woodley was fat and all he did was get dong sacks. :sarcasm:

:lol:

pczach
09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
I always find it amusing when people try to downplay how a guy got his sacks.

Jarvis Jones had how many of these "hustle" sacks in 4 years here? If they were that easy to get, he probably would have gotten a few more sacks...don't you think?

There is a reason that certain guys just find a way on the field. It's quickness, instincts, relentlessness, and just a feel for the game. Not everyone can do it, or they would be.

Let's also not forget that he did this going up against Joe Thomas....not the 3rd string RT that was playing LT because everyone else on the team got hurt. This was Joe Freaking Thomas.

Is Watt going to do this every week? Of course not. Nobody can keep up that pace. But someone shouldn't minimize what he did because they want to try to justify what they thought about him before he was drafted. Give the guy the credit that he has earned.

BlackAndGold
09-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Jarvis would never have been able to pull this off, especially against the future HOF Joe Thomas.

DesertSteel
09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
^^^ Awareness and quickness

- - - Updated - - -

Let's also not forget that he did this going up against Joe Thomas....not the 3rd string RT that was playing LT because everyone else on the team got hurt. This was Joe Freaking Thomas.

Yeah how many sacks does Thomas give up in an entire year?

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 12:16 PM
I always find it amusing when people try to downplay how a guy got his sacks.

Jarvis Jones had how many of these "hustle" sacks in 4 years here? If they were that easy to get, he probably would have gotten a few more sacks...don't you think?

There is a reason that certain guys just find a way on the field. It's quickness, instincts, relentlessness, and just a feel for the game. Not everyone can do it, or they would be.

Is Watt going to do this every week? Of course not. Nobody can keep up that pace. But someone shouldn't minimize what he did because they want to try to justify what they thought about him before he was drafted. Give the guy the credit that he has earned.

Agreed. No one seems to care how Von Miller gets his sacks, where quite a few of them are coverage/hustle sacks because of how good their secondary is. A sack is a sack people. I'll take all of them.

tube517
09-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Agreed. No one seems to care how Von Miller gets his sacks, where quite a few of them are coverage/hustle sacks because of how good their secondary is. A sack is a sack people. I'll take all of them.

Vong sacks

Mojouw
09-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Vong sacks
Vong sacks!!!

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 12:24 PM

But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Vong sacks

:sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Jarvis would never have been able to pull this off, especially against the future HOF Joe Thomas.

Yes, I remember that play and it impressed me on a few counts:

1- Watt has the quickness and speed to get upfield, so that an all pro like JT has to really break down and loose his base, while turning his shoulders.
2- Watt's spin is clumsy, but he still shows the change of direction that Thomas cannot match and ends up almost lunging on the counter. JT isn't balanced and his nose is over his toes.
3- Watt uses his hands well to get JT hands off him and start the spin, but when Watt improves and actually gets his torso closer to the OT to perform a spin move, it can be flat out sick.

Still, the fact that Watt has a speed rush and a count to it already makes him better than Jones ever was. JJ was mostly just a guy with a bull rush, because he wasn't quick enough to get the edge.
Watch the spin move of Charles Harris here and you see what I mean. He is closer to the OT than the distance Watt is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXopQ4Z3Y88

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 12:29 PM
But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )

It all evens out over the course of a season. There will always be some easy ones. You don't base a player's salary on just sacks anyway. That's just one measurement of many.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 12:34 PM

I don't think there is a pass rusher in the NFL right now with Miller's quickness off the edge, ability to swat the OT hands off him and bend around the edge to get to the pocket. Sure he may get some hustling too, but nobody can run a short arc like that in the nfl.

I'm a fan of Lamarr Woodley and honestly the year he got 10, I bet at least 4 of them were due to the fact that opposing teams had a FB or TE on him that was just a mismatch. At his prime, Woodley was 265 LBS at least, but athletic for a big guy and used his hands, but he had some inflated sack totals because some teams were just dumb to think a 230LB FB could block him in the pass game.

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't think there is a pass rusher in the NFL right now with Miller's quickness off the edge, ability to swat the OT hands off him and bend around the edge to get to the pocket. Sure he may get some hustling too, but nobody can run a short arc like that in the nfl.

My post wasn't a knock on Miller. I simply used his name because he's the best.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
My post wasn't a knock on Miller. I simply used his name because he's the best.

I know. My post was highlighting that he is the best and people recognize that by watching, so if he gets one on a coverage sack, its not going to change anybodys opinion of him.

Conversely, I remember all the Jarvis Jones supporters saying "a sack is a sack.....why don't you guys give Jarvis any credit?" when he got one on this whiff by CJ Spiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9_vklwOg8

Watt has quickness, good hand skills and hustle. (plus a crude spin move), but isn't a polished pass rusher by any means. Kizer held onto the football a bit too long yesterday and somebody like Eli Manning would have taken less sacks because he throws the football away more. Still, Watt showed that you cant hold onto the ball that long when he is rushing and he will only get better IMO.

DesertSteel
09-11-2017, 12:53 PM
It all evens out over the course of a season. There will always be some easy ones. You don't base a player's salary on just sacks anyway. That's just one measurement of many.
You mean TD catches count even if you're wide open???

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 01:39 PM
You mean TD catches count even if you're wide open???

LOL, only to some people apparently. We just need a "degree of difficulty" rating on every stat. Scale of 1-10. Anything under a 3 doesn't count.

teegre
09-11-2017, 02:08 PM

What will TJ Watt have to do, in order for you to stop comparing him to Jarvis Jones?

43Hitman
09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )Why can't you just let the guy just develop instead of comparing him to Jarvis at every turn. The kid has done nothing but bust his ass since day one, how about giving credit where credit is due for a change. We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes. You just always seem so damn grumpy, do you even enjoy Steelers Football?

teegre
09-11-2017, 02:24 PM
We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes.

:rofl2:

SteelerFanInStl
09-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Why can't you just let the guy just develop instead of comparing him to Jarvis at every turn. The kid has done nothing but bust his ass since day one, how about giving credit where credit is due for a change. We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes. You just always seem so damn grumpy, do you even enjoy Steelers Football?

No doubt!

polamalubeast
09-11-2017, 05:25 PM

The new Jarvis Jones....

43Hitman
09-11-2017, 05:34 PM
But, but, but, it was the Browns. :jerkit:

Craic
09-11-2017, 05:46 PM

All I want to see is him create his opportunity for sacks vs. capitalizing on what he's been given. I'm happy for the latter and seeing that he can do so as a rookie means the game already isn't too big for him. The former, however, is where the separation happens. As I kept saying, i was worried when we drafted him because I didn't see the former in his game based on speed and strength. And, also like I keep saying, he's shown speed of late, which makes me very happy. Now, i'm just waiting for strength so he doesn't get swallowed up by OTs. Until he can do that consistently, he'll be compared to Jarvis Jones because that was Jones's biggest problem. OTs swallowed him up.

Do I think Watt will end his career as another Jones? Nope. Not at all. His motor and his work ethic makes me very hopeful he'll spend a lot of off-season in the weight room putting size on his frame.

As for one sack equaling another . . . in stats, sure. In ending a down, sure. In exposing a player's ability? Not at all. None of us would be happy with signing a RB that ran through a five foot hole on every touch and gained 10 yards, if he averages -3 yards whenever a five foot hole does not appear. We'd rather have the player that creates a 4 yard run through traffic, because that player can also get 10 yards through a five-foot hole.

In other words, I'm not looking at game-effect, I'm looking at player development and future ability.

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 05:52 PM
What will TJ Watt have to do, in order for you to stop comparing him to Jarvis Jones?

Where in my post was I comparing Watt to Jones?

Mojouw
09-11-2017, 06:03 PM
It's like a cross-fit/tough mudder fan. Or a vegan. Or someone who is gluten free. They manage to work that into every conversation.

"Hey, did you see the game on Sunday? That new first round pick at OLB was great! So excited to see what Watt can do next week."

"Yeah. I really hope he earns it and just isn't handed his spot each week based on draft position like Jarvis Jones was."

"Cool. Cool. Man, it sure was amazing to see the furious power of nature these past couple of weeks with Harvey and Irma. Almost unbelievable."

"You know what was unbelievable? How little weights Jarvis Jones listed. Its amazing that no one else is a furious about Jarvis Jones. But, yeah...hurricanes are rough."

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Why can't you just let the guy just develop instead of comparing him to Jarvis at every turn. The kid has done nothing but bust his ass since day one, how about giving credit where credit is due for a change. We don't compare you to Archie Bunker, even though I think we should sometimes. You just always seem so damn grumpy, do you even enjoy Steelers Football?

Where in any of my posts have I discredited Watt? Did I not name him one of the heroes of the game? Your problem is you are overly sensitive.

Also, in the post you are referring to I didn't compare Watt to Jones. In an earlier post my reference to Jones would apply to any Steeler who receives a starting job based on anything other than play on the field.

Feel free to compare me to Bunker all you want. I will compare you to Frank Burns from MASH. Sound good?

Hawkman
09-11-2017, 06:08 PM
It's like a cross-fit/tough mudder fan. Or a vegan. Or someone who is gluten free. They manage to work that into every conversation.

"Hey, did you see the game on Sunday? That new first round pick at OLB was great! So excited to see what Watt can do next week."

"Yeah. I really hope he earns it and just isn't handed his spot each week based on draft position like Jarvis Jones was."

"Cool. Cool. Man, it sure was amazing to see the furious power of nature these past couple of weeks with Harvey and Irma. Almost unbelievable."

"You know what was unbelievable? How little weights Jarvis Jones listed. Its amazing that no one else is a furious about Jarvis Jones. But, yeah...hurricanes are rough."

:scratchchin::noidea::heh:

43Hitman
09-11-2017, 06:14 PM
But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )There ya go. Page one of this very thread. I didn't even have to looking for more than 30 seconds. Look I understand your heartburn over Mr. Jones and the fact it didn't work out with him, but you really need to let it go. The Front office knows what they are doing and hit on players more than they miss. If they didn't we wouldn't be contenders for championships nearly every year.

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 08:12 PM
There ya go. Page one of this very thread. I didn't even have to looking for more than 30 seconds. Look I understand your heartburn over Mr. Jones and the fact it didn't work out with him, but you really need to let it go. The Front office knows what they are doing and hit on players more than they miss. If they didn't we wouldn't be contenders for championships nearly every year.

I see it. Where am I referencing Watt? My reply was to someone talking about sacks and how some are earned more easily than others. I don't recall Watt getting an unblocked sack in the game. Also, the Steelers didn't draft Watt solely based on sacks. My reply was based on Gildon and his dong sacks. People thought he was great, but he was really just an average LB who benefitted from the scheme and players around him.

As for Watt, he had a good game. Hopefully it will continue. I won't crown him bad, average, good or great after one game.
No heartburn at all over Jones. I fully expected him to do nothing in Pitt and then let go. I doubt he stays very long with the Cards.

teegre
09-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Where in my post was I comparing Watt to Jones?

1) You've alluded to it. You've made analogies and/or allegories about it. Maybe you've never "literally" stated it, but you have constructed enough of the Venn diagram that at least five other people (in this thread alone) commented on it.

2) I wasn't being rhetorical. I'm really interested in what Watt can do to make you stop "alluding" to Jarvis Jones.

3) Moo

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 11:02 PM
1) You've alluded to it. You've made analogies and/or allegories about it. Maybe you've never "literally" stated it, but you have constructed enough of the Venn diagram that at least five other people (in this thread alone) commented on it.

2) I wasn't being rhetorical. I'm really interested in what Watt can do to make you stop "alluding" to Jarvis Jones.

3) Moo

1. I wasn't alluding to it either. You are obsessed with Jones and Watt being compared. Dog piling and trolling seem to be your forte.

2. No idea what you are going on about.

teegre
09-12-2017, 05:48 AM
1. I wasn't alluding to it either. You are obsessed with Jones and Watt being compared. Dog piling and trolling seem to be your forte.

2. No idea what you are going on about.

1) Dog piling? I was the first (but, obviously not the last) to mention it.
Trolling? If that isn't the pot calling the banana black.

2) Are my words too big for you to comprehend?

BlackAndGold
09-12-2017, 10:22 AM
*Sorry but I have to spam some tweets of Watt going against Joe Thomas*

BlackAndGold
09-12-2017, 10:27 AM

DesertSteel
09-12-2017, 10:30 AM
He's doing that against an all-pro tackle in his first game.............. put another quarter in the hype machine.

BlackAndGold
09-12-2017, 10:48 AM
I honestly want to thank the Cowboys and Packers(two teams I thought for sure would take him) for passing up Watt.

pczach
09-12-2017, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure how I missed this yesterday, but this made my day! I laughed my ass off.

So, so true! :rofl2:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2017, 11:52 AM
*Sorry but I have to spam some tweets of Watt going against Joe Thomas*

In the first and 3rd frames, you see that left hand of Watt come up and get the hands of Thomas off him and he keeps moving around the arc. That hand use along with the quickness is what makes him so dangerous.

Watch Thomas' kick slide and he keeps his shoulders square to the LOS until Watt is level with his shoulders...then he turns(which is textbook technique) to then punch, but Watt knocks his hand down and Thomas leans forward and loses him.

If Watt is slower, then JT can stay balanced and regroup for a 2nd punch. If Watt doesn't time his swat, then Thomas gets a solid punch and rides Watt out the back of the pocket. But the speed of Watt makes Thomas get his "nose over his toes" too much and the swat of the left hand makes Thomas almost faceplant. That move there sets up the counter move, which right now is a clumsy spin. But that will improve.

The key as a pass rusher is to have a goto move, then a counter move. We can see TJ has the goto(speed rush) and will soon have a great counter. Kid is gonna be fun to watch for a while.

Steeldude
09-12-2017, 11:53 AM
1) Dog piling? I was the first (but, obviously not the last) to mention it.
Trolling? If that isn't the pot calling the banana black.

2) Are my words too big for you to comprehend?

More trolling. Are you getting back into your Steelers Fever form? Maybe you can get the clique of trolls back that infected that site.

You seem to think trolling is having a differing opinion on football. Here is what I tell all of the people who obsesses, whine and fret over my meaningless posts; just block me and you won't get all worked up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2017, 11:55 AM
He's doing that against an all-pro tackle in his first game.............. put another quarter in the hype machine.

I hate the hype machine. That is for guys with no substance, like the sandwich artist the Steelers formerly drafted. Can put away the smoke and mirrors of the hype machine, as the kid has legit skills.

steel striker
09-12-2017, 12:04 PM
TJ seems like the real deal to me!

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 12:06 PM
More trolling. Are you getting back into your Steelers Fever form? Maybe you can get the clique of trolls back that infected that site.

You seem to think trolling is having a differing opinion on football. Here is what I tell all of the people who obsesses, whine and fret over my meaningless posts; just block me and you won't get all worked up.

Question for you.

Do you think Watt deserves to be a starter right now?

Steeldude
09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Question for you.

Do you think Watt deserves to be a starter right now?

Yes.

Now if Watt struggles greatly for the next 8 games should the Steelers think about starting Harrison or at the very least increase his snap count?

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes.

Now if Watt struggles greatly for the next 8 games should the Steelers think about starting Harrison or at the very least increase his snap count?

absolutely

polamalubeast
09-12-2017, 01:37 PM

pczach
09-12-2017, 01:57 PM

He deserves it. Good for him. Even better for us!

teegre
09-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Speaking of getting back into form, I know what comes next: you will run crying to the mods saying that I have formed some "clique" that is harassing you.

Strangely enough, I seem to have found a new "clique" over here at Steelers Universe. Weird how that works out.

Maybe... just maybe, that is because the "clique" that you speak of is everyone else on the site/forum except for you. I have a feeling you receive this same type reaction no matter what site/forum you visit.

Oh, and you can go ahead and put all of the "clique" members on ignore... all 500+ of us. :hatsoff:

Steeldude
09-12-2017, 02:02 PM
absolutely

Welcome to the hater club ��

teegre
09-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I honestly want to thank the Cowboys and Packers(two teams I thought for sure would take him) for passing up Watt.

Indeed.
I was looking on Twitter, and Cowboy fans were upset about taking Taco Charlton (over Watt).

QUESTION:
Carl Lawson had the highest-rating for all pass-rushers (PFF... so, take that with a grain of salt). Something like 25, and the next highest guy was in the high teens. I think that Watt can do many, many more things... but, I see Lawson as a better pass-rusher.

Gun to your head: Watt or Lawson???

ALLD
09-12-2017, 02:12 PM
I'll take the play maker over the pure pass rusher.

teegre
09-12-2017, 02:15 PM
I'll take the play maker over the pure pass rusher.

Yep.

It's like a discussion I had a few years ago with a fan of another team who thought that Troy wasn't very good, because of Troy's "lack of tackles". I asked the person if they'd ever watched Troy play.... because, Troy was a splash play waiting to happen. And, I get that same vibe form Watt.

Craic
09-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Not directed at me, and I don't know a lot about Lawson, but I'd say no. Why? Because even though I'm still concerned about element of Watt's game, he's shown the tenacity to fix whatever needs to be fixed even in the short amount of time he's been with the Steelers. I've seen marked improvement in the areas I was down on him. With that said, and if he still continues to improve, the sky is the limit for this kid.

teegre
09-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Not directed at me, and I don't know a lot about Lawson, but I'd say no. Why? Because even though I'm still concerned about element of Watt's game, he's shown the tenacity to fix whatever needs to be fixed even in the short amount of time he's been with the Steelers. I've seen marked improvement in the areas I was down on him. With that said, and if he still continues to improve, the sky is the limit for this kid.

BOLDED: That is probably the biggest asset that he has (besides, you know, freakish athleticism).

Steeldude
09-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Speaking of getting back into form, I know what comes next: you will run crying to the mods saying that I have formed some "clique" that is harassing you.

Strangely enough, I seem to have found a new "clique" over here at Steelers Universe. Weird how that works out.

Maybe... just maybe, that is because the "clique" that you speak of is everyone else on the site/forum except for you. I have a feeling you receive this same type reaction no matter what site/forum you visit.

Oh, and you can go ahead and put all of the "clique" members on ignore... all 500+ of us. :hatsoff:

Actually, the mods during that time were part of the trolling clique. I don't need to ignore you. You don't affect me. You see, your gut gets twisted up inside when someone doesn't agree with your happy go lucky views and sophomoric antics. The best part of that dying forum was pointing out the clique's hypocrisy.

Many people from SF messaged me about you and the gang of trolls harrassing people on that site. It's why many decided not to return to it. It was either agree with SJWs or be verbally assaulted. Nearly every thread was polluted with brainless memes. It's fine, I realize that's how you cope with being on the Net. Perhaps you are unable able to co-exist in the real world due to people not agreeing with you. For your own sake you really need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you...and that's ok : )

You have been obsessing over me since the SF days. It's time to move on. Take your wife out to dinner or something. Enjoy life. It's better than searching out posts to whine about. Right?

teegre
09-12-2017, 02:30 PM
your gut gets twisted up inside when someone doesn't agree with your happy go lucky views and sophomoric antics.

polamalubeast and I have had disagreements. Yet, he & I get along admirably.

steelreserve and I don't agree on much of anything. Yet, I enjoy every one of his posts.

Secondaryconcerns and I have had many (many) debates. Yet, no ill feelings.

et cetera

Yet, I ask you one question, and you get butthurt. Now... who is the whiner, again???

Mojouw
09-12-2017, 04:41 PM
So we have two types of posts.

#1 - I have this opinion because of the following reasons x, y, and z. These reasons are based on observations/data A, B, and C.

#2 - I have a contrary opinion. I do not reveal what I have used to form this opinion. Anyone who disagrees with this opinion or presses me for details is a whiny snowflake out for social justice. Or something.

All I'm saying is that one post type drives conversation and hopefully a relatively pleasant back and forth discussion of the topic. The other is the message board equivalent of rolling a turd into the middle of the room and then yelling at anyone who asks why the turd is on the living room carpet.

I'm just as guilty or even more so than anyone else on here of shouting down people who disagree with me. I try to avoid it, but hey, its the internet its gonna happen. But what I do try and do is lay out why I came to a particular opinion that I then loudly inflict on everyone else. But just stating a fairly different opinion than most and then not discussing it really isn't conversation.

BlackAndGold
09-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Indeed.
I was looking on Twitter, and Cowboy fans were upset about taking Taco Charlton (over Watt).

QUESTION:
Carl Lawson had the highest-rating for all pass-rushers (PFF... so, take that with a grain of salt). Something like 25, and the next highest guy was in the high teens. I think that Watt can do many, many more things... but, I see Lawson as a better pass-rusher.

During the draft process I wanted Lawson because I felt like he would produce day 1, I didn't think Watt would play as well as he is doing(reason why I'm hyped about Watt).

So with that I'll easily go with Watt since he still has a lot of room to grow as a pass rusher. Watt also has the talents to make plays in coverage as seen against the Browns. Upside+versatile=potential future star

teegre
09-13-2017, 06:24 AM
During the draft process I wanted Lawson because I felt like he would produce day 1, I didn't think Watt would play as well as he is doing(reason why I'm hyped about Watt).

So with that I'll easily go with Watt since he still has a lot of room to grow as a pass rusher. Watt also has the talents to make plays in coverage as seen against the Browns. Upside+versatile=potential future star

They looked heavily at Watt, Lawson, and Rivers. They had dinner with Watt; Tomlin told Lawson he wanted him to sack quarterbacks for the Steelers; and, they met with Rivers four separate times. It was pretty obvious that the Steelers were going to get one of them, and none would have been a surprise.

And, I agree: they got the guy who can (eventually) do the most.

Once they drafted Watt, I knew that they wouldn't double-dip. But, watching Lawson and Rivers both drop into R3 and seeing both flourish this far, I'm wondering if a double-dip might not have been a bad idea...

BlackAndGold
09-13-2017, 06:40 AM
They looked heavily at Watt, Lawson, and Rivers. They had dinner with Watt; Tomlin told Lawson he wanted him to sack quarterbacks for the Steelers; and, they met with Rivers four separate times. It was pretty obvious that the Steelers were going to get one of them, and none would have been a surprise.

And, I agree: they got the guy who can (eventually) do the most.

Once they drafted Watt, I knew that they wouldn't double-dip. But, watching Lawson and Rivers both drop into R3 and seeing both flourish this far, I'm wondering if a double-dip might not have been a bad idea...

I'm pretty happy how the draft went, so no complaints. Just wish Keion Adams stayed healthy. He was impressing before he got hurt. He is also a great athlete with good length and has natural bend to come off the edge. I believe he could make the 53 next year with Harrison possibly retiring and Moats being a FA.

Steeldude
09-13-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't like the idea of naming a player a starter immediately after drafting him.

You're a hater. It's a great idea to start players without having to see them play first. Why are you comparing him to Jarvis Jones?

I wasn't exactly. Jones could have been any player. If Watt struggles for 8 games should the Steelers keep him as the starter?

Yes. It doesn't matter how he plays. Just give him time.

Couldn't that cost the Steelers games? I have no problem with them starting Watt, if he can perform. I want the best and most effective players on the field. I won't write him off after one game, even if it is very bad. Just as I won't say he will be a star if he has a great game.

No, Hitler. The coaches always know what they are doing and are never wrong.

Explain Kordell.

He was a great QB. The coaches were right again by keeping him the starter for 5 years.

In my opinion, Kordell cost the Steelers a SB trip or two.

No Stalin, Kordell was the only reason the Steelers were good. Why are you comparing Kordell to Jarvis Jones?

polamalubeast
09-13-2017, 11:46 AM
I don't like the idea of naming a player a starter immediately after drafting him.

You're a hater. It's a great idea to start players without having to see them play first. Why are you comparing him to Jarvis Jones?

Craic did not like the Watt pick in April, but nobody said Craic was a hater!

DesertSteel
09-13-2017, 11:51 AM
I will still be reminding people of my: "***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***" that I started on March 8th, 2017 when TJ is inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2035.

Mojouw
09-13-2017, 11:52 AM
https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

Born2Steel
09-13-2017, 12:03 PM
I seem to remember a safety that had a very unimpressive rookie campaign. The coaches let him continue to play though. I believe that young safety will one day make a great addition to the HoF. I also witnessed an OLB that was drafted 1st round. He never became much of a pass rusher, but he kept himself on the field with run stops and pass cover abilities. He ended up getting let go and is currently not even in the league any longer.

Point being, some start fast and fade, some start fast and become dominant. Some have a slower start but end up in the hall. Some never reach potential. But what they ALL have in common is struggle. They will all struggle at times. And you cannot just pull a player for struggling.

43Hitman
09-13-2017, 03:10 PM
https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg
:iagree:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Jarvis Jones is somewhere at a Subway right now enjoying a free sub reading this post and laughing that he still earns a paycheck.

DesertSteel
09-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Jarvis Jones is somewhere at a Subway right now enjoying a free sub reading this post and laughing that he still earns a paycheck.
Maybe LeVeon can get him a job at DQ.

09-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Maybe LeVeon can get him a job at DQ. Lol yep free subs and free Blizzard's he may just put on the weight he couldn't here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Somewhere there is a post that "Its time to shut up about Jarvis Jones". :ranger:

09-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Somewhere there is a post that "Its time to shut up about Jarvis Jones". :ranger: What about Mendy ?

tube517
09-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Somewhere there is a post that "Its time to shut up about Jarvis Jones". :ranger:

We tried that with Arians but that didn't work. :chuckle:

43Hitman
09-13-2017, 06:17 PM
We tried that with Arians but that didn't work. :chuckle:
We should start a Fire the next 5 LB'ers because of Jarvis Jones thread. :chuckle:

pczach
09-13-2017, 07:14 PM
What about Mendy ?

Wasn't there a post recently about Mendy showing off his martial arts skills by flailing at a tetherball or something?

Oh the humanity!

86WARD
09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
EA and Madden Mobile may want to reevaluate:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/cc7dae5a08130f5904fd220224415e85.png

DesertSteel
09-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Most epic thread ever.

teegre
09-14-2017, 01:54 PM
EA and Madden Mobile may want to reevaluate:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/cc7dae5a08130f5904fd220224415e85.png

I don't play video games. What does that mean?

pczach
09-14-2017, 02:54 PM

It means TJ Watt is no better than Jarvis Jones right now.......:chuckle:

SteelMember
09-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Read it without the period... :wink02:

They could have just put a J in there. Sheesh on them

Mojouw
09-14-2017, 04:41 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room-breakdown-analysis/2017/9/14/16297646/steelers-film-room-pass-rush-is-just-watt-the-doctor-ordered-tj-watt-nfl-browns-week-1-analysis

Shows others pass rushing, but it quickly becomes all about Watt.

Watching this just makes me laugh. I haven't been this excited about a rookie Steelers pass rusher since Woodley.

So Imagine this for a moment. Steelers were right about Hargrave, Tuitt, Heyward, and Watt when it comes to their potential as pass rushers. What if he gets healthy and they were right about Dupree? Plus Harrison is still around.

This COULD be quite the pass rush.

86WARD
09-14-2017, 05:19 PM

He is the Rising Star Player of the Week...but read without the period...lol.

43Hitman
09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room-breakdown-analysis/2017/9/14/16297646/steelers-film-room-pass-rush-is-just-watt-the-doctor-ordered-tj-watt-nfl-browns-week-1-analysis

Watching this just makes me laugh. I haven't been this excited about a rookie Steelers pass rusher since Woodley.

So Imagine this for a moment. Steelers were right about Hargrave, Tuitt, Heyward, and Watt when it comes to their potential as pass rushers. What if he gets healthy and they were right about Dupree? Plus Harrison is still around.

This COULD be quite the pass rush.Last time I was this giddy, was for K. Bell. I remember someone on defense giving him the nickname Contact. He would bring the contact that's for sure, he just couldn't stay healthy. Let's hope that Watt can avoid the same road blocks that Bell did.

teegre
09-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Instead of dong sacks, we should call them TWatts.

teegre
09-14-2017, 09:51 PM

This COULD be quite the pass rush.

The past few drafts have been A+'s.

As much as I like Burns and Davis, Hargrave might be the best pick from the '16 draft.

polamalubeast
09-14-2017, 09:52 PM
The past few drafts have been A+'s.

As much as I like Burns and Davis, Hargrave might be the best pick from the '16 draft.

The draft of 2014 deserves a A(The only reason this is not a A+ is because of the Dri Archer pick!)

teegre
09-14-2017, 10:00 PM
The draft of 2014 deserves a A(The only reason this is not a A+ is because of the Dri Archer pick!)

True.

It was sn A++... but, Archer lowered it by two pluses. :lol:

fansince'76
09-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Instead of dong sacks, we should call them TWatts.

Wattadong sacks! :lol:

T J Wattadong......

teegre
09-14-2017, 10:07 PM
Wattadong sacks! :lol:

That's what she said...

fansince'76
09-14-2017, 10:09 PM

Super Runt. That was a Haley-induced pick all the way...

polamalubeast
09-18-2017, 07:53 AM
I read some comments on Twitter by some Packers fan and they are not happy that the team has not drafted T.J Watt !!

Some comments

Mojouw
09-18-2017, 08:27 AM
I read some comments on Twitter by some Packers fan and they are not happy that the team has not drafted T.J Watt !!

Some comments

If Watt has even a mediocre career, let alone a good one, they are never going to let the Pack forget it. Local Wisconsin boy who was coming out after a stellar showing at UW (the only institution that rivals the Pack in popularity in the state) - they will never live that down!

I was totally shocked when Ted Thompson didn't make the pick.

tube517
09-18-2017, 09:00 AM
If Watt has even a mediocre career, let alone a good one, they are never going to let the Pack forget it. Local Wisconsin boy who was coming out after a stellar showing at UW (the only institution that rivals the Pack in popularity in the state) - they will never live that down!

I was totally shocked when Ted Thompson didn't make the pick.

I saw someone tweet the Packers road scores since last year or so and that defense is pretty bad.

polamalubeast
09-18-2017, 09:02 AM
I saw someone tweet the Packers road scores since last year or so and that defense is pretty bad.

I can't believe that Dom Capers is still their DC.

Edman
09-18-2017, 09:15 AM
T.J Watt seemed like a perfect fit for Green Bay, as they run a similar Defense as the Steelers. It was a no-brainer. I was shocked to see Watt fall to the Steelers.

Their blunder (so far) is our gain.

Green Bay is stuck in the same spot the Steelers have been, missing a legitimate pass rush that got the team eaten alive, and stuck with a fossil Defensive scheme. Dom Capers is not that much different from 2013-14 Dick Lebeau, and last night when the Packers D was destroyed again, the Zone Blitz is finished in the NFL.

polamalubeast
09-18-2017, 09:24 AM
T.J Watt seemed like a perfect fit for Green Bay, as they run a similar Defense as the Steelers. It was a no-brainer. I was shocked to see Watt fall to the Steelers.

Their blunder (so far) is our gain.

Green Bay is stuck in the same spot the Steelers have been, missing a legitimate pass rush that got the team eaten alive, and stuck with a fossil Defensive scheme. Dom Capers is not that much different from 2013-14 Dick Lebeau, and last night when the Packers D was destroyed again, the Zone Blitz is finished in the NFL.

Only Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson not know that the zone blitz is finished in the nfl!

The Packers have not had a defense in the top 10 in yards and points since 2011!

But Dom Capers is still their DC even if their defense gave 36 points per game in the playoffs in their defeats since 2009.

They are also horrible on the road....

pczach
09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Only Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson not know that the zone blitz is finished in the nfl!

The Packers have not had a defense in the top 10 in yards and points since 2011!

But Dom Capers is still their DC even if their defense gave 36 points per game in the playoffs in their defeats since 2009.

They are also horrible on the road....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws

tube517
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Film Room: T.J. Watt Off To Strong Start Before Injury

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/film-room-t-j-watt-off-strong-start-injury/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2017, 05:41 PM

lmfao