PDA

View Full Version : The Brown's Game: Can't Get Excited about a No Win Prospect

Craic
09-09-2017, 02:57 PM
So,

I'm been trying to drum up excitement within myself for this game. It's the first real game of the year . . . It's the first chance to see the rookies really go all out against a first-team defense . . . It's the first time we'll have Ben, Bryant, Brown, and Bell all on the field at the same time in who knows how long . . . but I just can't do it. This Sunday feels like a no-win game for us. If we win, well, it's the Browns. We should have won the game, and should have won it big. I think most of us will be disappointed if the final score wasn't separated by at seventeen points; and, most of us will be upset if the defense allows more than 10-14 points (not counting garbage time). On the other hand, if we lose the game . . . oh boy! Everyone's head from Art Rooney II to the water boy will be demanded on a platter with a side of resumes. All-in-all, I really just want this weekend to be over so we can get to the Vikings game.

Maybe it's the combination of tacos for lunch and steak and fries for dinner last night with a side of homemade pizza for a late snack. I don't know. But this meh! feeling about this game just won't go away. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Just a win and I will be happy.

Hawkman
09-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Just a win with no one getting hurt will suit me fine.

ALLD
09-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I would be happy to watch the game in the air conditioning without losing my roof tonight.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Kinda still feels like a preseason game since it's the Browns but the starters are playing.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Kinda still feels like a preseason game since it's the Browns but the starters are playing.

No, since Gregg Williams' defense has always been physical, so the steelers have to be ready, otherwise they could have a bad surprise.

Their defense could be good and competitive this year, the only problem is that they will be on the field for a long time because of their offense.

09-09-2017, 03:39 PM
That and Rookie qbs seem to light up the Steelers lately the last couple years.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Only last years with Wentz and Dark.Before that, Roethlisberger was undefeated against the rookies QB.

But I hope our defense is going to have a big game, since our offense has not had much action in preseason.If they do not turnovers, the steelers will be fine.

Hawkman
09-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Which ones would those be? Outside of philly last year.

09-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Which ones would those be? Wentz that was just mentioned and a few others over the last couple seasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps Dak don't count and pretty much was lighting every team up last year accept the Giants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Steelers football is back and we get to see who can knock the rust off early and get a W. I'm as enthused as any opening game in any season. Another season starts Sunday.

09-09-2017, 03:59 PM
I think it will be a close game and the Steelers pull away in the 4th. Browns and 10 points sounds like a good bet.

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 04:08 PM
You guys are overthinking this!

What would you rather be doing for 3 hours this Sunday? Win, lose, or draw -- I'd rather watch the Steelers than most of the other things I could or should be doing!

09-09-2017, 04:11 PM

What would you rather be doing for 3 hours this Sunday? Win, lose, or draw -- I'd rather watch the Steelers than most of the other things I could or should be doing! True but think most of us can't wait to see how they are against a good team.

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 04:29 PM
True but think most of us can't wait to see how they are against a good team.

I'm in no rush. Actual football is what, 3-4 months out of the year and only once a week?

I'm gonna focus on enjoying each Sunday without freaking out about what might be in the future.

Everyone can watch the Steelers and/or the NFL however they damn well please -- but the thread asked, so I gave my 2 cents.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm in no rush. Actual football is what, 3-4 months out of the year and only once a week?

I'm gonna focus on enjoying each Sunday without freaking out about what might be in the future.

Everyone can watch the Steelers and/or the NFL however they damn well please -- but the thread asked, so I gave my 2 cents.

same for me!

09-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Everyone can watch the Steelers and/or the NFL however they damn well please -- but the thread asked, so I gave my 2 cents. No problem you giving your 2 cents and I'm saying why me and others are looking forward to see how they fair against a playoff type team. I'm still going to enjoy the game regardless and yay football is back.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 04:35 PM
The first test will be in Baltimore in week 4 where that the steelers always struggle against them on the road....But before I hope the steelers will be 3-0 for the first time since 2007.

09-09-2017, 04:37 PM
The first test will be in Baltimore in week 4 where that the steelers always struggle against them on the road....But before I hope the steelers will be 3-0 for the first time since 2007. Me Too.

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Although some may be overlooking Cleveland. I'm sure the players aren't. Cleveland is going to be much better than many think this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the Steelers front 7 vs a pretty darn good Browns O-line. More exciting to me than that is seeing Joe Haden in a Steeler uniform. Has Haden really lost a step? How will the secondary mesh? Who'll play in the slot? Who'll log the 1st sack? Interception? TD? There are tons of reasons to get excited about this game. I believe this Defense returns to dominate form this year. I for one am really excited to watch how it progresses from week to week.

tube517
09-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Steelers football is back and we get to see who can knock the rust off early and get a W. I'm as enthused as any opening game in any season. Another season starts Sunday.

What would you rather be doing for 3 hours this Sunday? Win, lose, or draw -- I'd rather watch the Steelers than most of the other things I could or should be doing!

All of this. It's what Sundays are made for.

pczach
09-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I know that Ben and some of the players may be a bit rusty from not playing, but they got a great reminder of how you have to be ready to play every single game in the NFL. The Patriots getting punked at home should have them ready and focused.

09-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Although some may be overlooking Cleveland. I'm sure the players aren't. Cleveland is going to be much better than many think this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the Steelers front 7 vs a pretty darn good Browns O-line. More exciting to me than that is seeing Joe Haden in a Steeler uniform. Has Haden really lost a step? How will the secondary mesh? Who'll play in the slot? Who'll log the 1st sack? Interception? TD? There are tons of reasons to get excited about this game. I believe this Defense returns to dominate form this year. I for one am really excited to watch how it progresses from week to week. Good post and that is a lot of good reasons to watch for.

BnG_Hevn
09-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Aren't road games against bad teams Tomlin's weakness?

If the Steelers lose, will that get you excited about game two?

86WARD
09-09-2017, 05:42 PM

Winner.

86WARD
09-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Kansas City beat New England...no one thought that would happen. Granted, KC is better than Cleveland, but any given Sunday...

GBMelBlount
09-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Agreed. I am as enthused as ever.

If I was a Steeler starter coming off an AFC championship game, a good draft, great free agent signings and just saw the team we will likely need to go through to get to the Superbowl, get exposed...

I would go out tomorrow completely fired up and want to make a statement.

Shoes
09-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Can't wait!

Moose
09-09-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm just hoping for a win. Living close to cincy, the bungles game is the only game I'm gonna be able to get....so, I'm gonna do some mowing because I refuse to watch bungle football. Playing the browns is no 'gimme' win for us since we all know that the Steeler's play DOWN to their opponent bottom feeder's, and also can be beat by 'rookie' QB's very easily. This should be a 2+TD win for us, but I still wouldn't bet on this game this early in season. GO STEELER's.

teegre
09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
We only get 19 of these per season. I enjoy every single one.

That said, Craic is basically saying the same thing that a comedian (Kevin Hart?) said about a fight between a big guy and a little guy. If the little guy wins, he's a hero; if the little guy loses, he was still heroic. If the big guy wins, he's a bully; if the big guy loses... gulp!!!

09-09-2017, 09:23 PM
We only get 19 of these per season. I enjoy every single one.

That said, Craic is basically saying the same thing that a comedian (Kevin Hart?) said about a fight between a big guy and a little guy. If the little guy wins, he's a hero; if the little guy loses, he was still heroic. If the big guy wins, he's a bully; if the big guy loses... gulp!!! Great post and nailed it and now if you can only interpret Craic's grades and thoughts you will be the man!

Steeldude
09-09-2017, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they lose. A poor division opponent is kryptonite to Tomlin.

That being said, they better win against a poor QB.

Craic
09-10-2017, 03:10 AM
Great post and nailed it and now if you can only interpret Craic's grades and thoughts you will be the man!

Not sure why that's so difficult.

EDIT: :doh: The other thread. It's time to go to bed, me-thinks.

Butch
09-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Craic and any others who can't get up for this game. This is the 1st step on our way to 7 it's going to be a Great day. A new team with one mission and all hands are on board. Today is the day we put the damn off season to rest and get on with the business at hand. I aint gonna miss a minute of the action if I can help it.

Here We Go Steelers!!! Here We Go!!!

AtlantaDan
09-10-2017, 07:04 AM
So,

I'm been trying to drum up excitement within myself for this game. It's the first real game of the year . . . It's the first chance to see the rookies really go all out against a first-team defense . . . It's the first time we'll have Ben, Bryant, Brown, and Bell all on the field at the same time in who knows how long . . . but I just can't do it. This Sunday feels like a no-win game for us. If we win, well, it's the Browns. We should have won the game, and should have won it big. I think most of us will be disappointed if the final score wasn't separated by at seventeen points; and, most of us will be upset if the defense allows more than 10-14 points (not counting garbage time). On the other hand, if we lose the game . . . oh boy! Everyone's head from Art Rooney II to the water boy will be demanded on a platter with a side of resumes. All-in-all, I really just want this weekend to be over so we can get to the Vikings game.

Maybe it's the combination of tacos for lunch and steak and fries for dinner last night with a side of homemade pizza for a late snack. I don't know. But this meh! feeling about this game just won't go away. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Nope - it is the first game of the regular season with the Steelers in position to contend for a championship. With Ben's career winding down and Bell possibly gone next year I am going to enjoy what Steelers fans have right now.

As far as being a "no win" situation, this is not college football where an unimpressive win can impact BCS rankings.

In other words, to quote a Tomlinism, "style points don't matter."

Hope you feel better for the Vikings game, for which I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Heinz next Sunday.

FrancoLambert
09-10-2017, 07:06 AM
Can't get up for the season opener....because it's against the Browns??????

Sure, we never lose to "bad" teams.

C'mon.....season opener....hopes set very high.....new faces.....returning faces.

As a Steelers fan, how do you not get excited for this game???

I'm pumped just waiting to see how Joe Haden might change our defense.

Throw in the debuts of Watt, Ju-Ju, Conner, evaluating our KO return game, Artie's expected growth.

So much to see, so much to evaluate, so much to enjoy.

DesertSteel
09-10-2017, 07:13 AM
I would be happy if I didn't have to wait until the second games are over to watch it on game pass.

A win win is a win. This ain't college.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Hey, it is 2017 folks. Anyone who can not watch the game on their TV live needs to check out this thing called the internet.

Any of the various Wiziwig sites have reliable and relatively stable streams each Sunday. SUre you have to wade through 110 pop-ups, but that only takes a minute or so. Is it as quality as your gorgeous HD tv? Of course not, but you can still see the game.

UStvnow is even better and they usually have the Steelers game - just not this week.

There are several others, but those 2 are some of the most straightforward. I find them acceptable, but your mileage may vary.

tube517
09-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Hey, it is 2017 folks. Anyone who can not watch the game on their TV live needs to check out this thing called the internet.

Any of the various Wiziwig sites have reliable and relatively stable streams each Sunday. SUre you have to wade through 110 pop-ups, but that only takes a minute or so. Is it as quality as your gorgeous HD tv? Of course not, but you can still see the game.

UStvnow is even better and they usually have the Steelers game - just not this week.

There are several others, but those 2 are some of the most straightforward. I find them acceptable, but your mileage may vary.

VIPBOX gave me a clear stream for the Colts preseason game and also the Mayweather-McGregor fight. I have used it for the past few years. Crystal clear in HD to chromecast from my desktop

TV addons (Kodi) is going through some legal issues so getting a clear sports stream hasn't been consistent for me.

Luckily, our local CBS affiliate is showing today's game. :tt02:

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 11:30 AM
VIPBOX gave me a clear stream for the Colts preseason game and also the Mayweather-McGregor fight. I have used it for the past few years. Crystal clear in HD to chromecast from my desktop

TV addons (Kodi) is going through some legal issues so getting a clear sports stream hasn't been consistent for me.

Luckily, our local CBS affiliate is showing today's game. :tt02:

I will have to try that one! Always good to have another club in the pirate bag!

tube517
09-10-2017, 11:32 AM
I will have to try that one! Always good to have another club in the pirate bag!

I think Wiziwig and vipbox and firstrowsports and many others use some of the same feeds but you're right. It's good to have other options.

pczach
09-10-2017, 11:52 AM
If they really have the goal of winning the Super Bowl every year, how can they not look at it as a chance to jump a game up on their nemesis if they are looking for home field advantage throughout the playoffs?

The Patriots lost, and they are right now in a better position than they are if they go out and get a win. They need to approach every game with the idea that they are going to win every game as a single step towards the bigger goal.

NO DAYS OFF!!!!! :jerkit:

:toofunny:

09-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Pretty much what I expected Browns plus 10 was a good bet and why I wasn't looking forward to this game. WTG refs and Haley for letting the Browns beat the spread.