PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign DE Stephon Tuitt to new six-year deal.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 11:27 AM

It is a relief!

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Glad to see that they got this done.

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Well Done!

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I am happy with the offseason....We can't blame Colbert for the Bell situation.

Dwinsgames
09-09-2017, 11:38 AM
its more $$$ than I would have spent but glad they got him locked up long term

salamander
09-09-2017, 11:39 AM
It's nice to see the Steelers actually have the cap space to do what they've done so far this season.

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Seems to be the same deal they gave Heyward, with a bit of cap inflation baked in.

Bluecoat96
09-09-2017, 11:45 AM
6 years, $61.05 mil per Dulac.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
09-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Conflicting reports. Some say 5-year and others say 6.

Bluecoat96
09-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Conflicting reports. Some say 5-year and others say 6.Six year deal, but a five year extension. That crap always confuses me. Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Conflicting reports. Some say 5-year and others say 6.

This is a five year extension....

DesertSteel
09-09-2017, 12:05 PM
These guys who don't want to sign should remember the AB/Mike Wallace contract scenario. How'd that turn out LeVeon?

AtlantaDan
09-09-2017, 12:22 PM
These guys who don't want to sign should remember the AB/Mike Wallace contract scenario. How'd that turn out LeVeon?

Or Eric Berry of the Chiefs

Berry was franchise tagged for the 2016 season and pulled a modified Le'Veon by not reporting until the week before the last preseason game

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/sports/football/chiefs-eric-berry-signs-franchise-tag-to-become-leagues-highest-paid-safety.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

Fortunately for him Berry signed his long term deal this offseason (6 years/$40 million guaranteed) before tearing his achilles tendon Thursday night

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/2/28/14765174/eric-berry-contract-details-6-years-78-million-40-million-guaranteed

Given that his agent allegedly recommended taking the Steelers offer, seems like Bell made the mistake of turning a contract negotiation into a contest over who has the bigger d**k, which usually does not end well

43Hitman
09-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Or Eric Berry of the Chiefs

Berry was franchise tagged for the 2016 season and pulled a modified Le'Veon by not reporting until the week before the last preseason game

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/sports/football/chiefs-eric-berry-signs-franchise-tag-to-become-leagues-highest-paid-safety.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

Fortunately for him Berry signed his long term deal this offseason (6 years/$40 million guaranteed) before tearing his achilles tendon Thursday night

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/2/28/14765174/eric-berry-contract-details-6-years-78-million-40-million-guaranteed

Given that his agent allegedly recommended taking the Steelers offer, seems like Bell made the mistake of turning a contract negotiation into a contest over who has the bigger d**k, which usually does not end well

Agreed. Management ALWAYS has the bigger d**k even if the public thinks they don't.

tube517
09-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Colbert is a gangsta.

tube517
09-09-2017, 12:52 PM
p/BY0_JiGgQ0z

86WARD
09-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Good work.

DesertSteel
09-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Agreed. Management ALWAYS has the bigger d**k even if the public thinks they don't.
The only exceptions are franchise QBs... RBs are waaaay down on the list of little peckers.

43Hitman
09-09-2017, 01:50 PM
The only exceptions are franchise QBs... RBs are waaaay down on the list of little peckers.

:clap2: :sofunny:

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Tuitt is only 24 years old!

lipps83
09-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Good to see Tuitt get Bell's money. Tuitt would be far harder to replace than Bell.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 02:28 PM

GBMelBlount
09-09-2017, 02:37 PM
2017 Defensive End Average Rankings

Spotrac has Tuitt as the 7th highest paid defensive end and averaging $12,000,0000 / year.

Sound a bit rich?

Has Tuitt proven he is THAT good?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-end/

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Spotrac has Tuitt as the 7th highest paid defensive end and averaging $12,000,0000 / year.

Sound a bit rich?

If you want to keep good players, you have to pay.

Also, Tuitt is only 24 years old, so I expect many good years by him, maybe it would have been more expensive also if the steelers would have waited.

I predict also that Tuitt will not be in the top 10 for the average salary for very long.

AtlantaDan
09-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Good to see Tuitt get Bell's money. Tuitt would be far harder to replace than Bell.

Jack Ham may disagree - good analysis from someone who would know on Bell's skills as a receiver

“I ran a 4.6 as a linebacker. I’m covering these running backs because they’re not all that nifty or athletic,” he said of his years from 1971-82. “Today . . . [Bell] is too quick for a linebacker to cover and too physical for a safety to cover in a nickel package....

“Bell is the best route runner I have seen for a running back in a long time” and added Ezekiel Elliott of the Dallas Cowboys “can’t hold his jock as a receiver or route runner.”

“Running a flare out of the backfield is not running a route. There’s a huge difference. Elliot is a flare guy, not a route runner.

“Bell understands this. He didn’t do that at Michigan State. They didn’t use him like that. Here they found out he was such a good receiver. It’s a big weapon when he’s in there.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/07/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-running-backs-nfl-preview-2017/stories/201709070073

ALLD
09-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Jack Ham may disagree - good analysis from someone who would know on Bell's skills as a receiver

It’s a big weapon when he’s in there.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/07/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-running-backs-nfl-preview-2017/stories/201709070073
[/I]

The problem is Bell misses all kinds of time due to drugs and injury. If he carries the team on his back and we win a SB I am sure the office will pay him like they did with James Harrison. He still needs to prove himself despite his statistics and unrealized potential.

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Sound a bit rich?

Who knows? Until the actual #'s come out it really isn't possible to tell. What if the contract pays him $12 million this year and then $9.6 million every year after? Or $ 12 million this year, then 4 years at 6 million per and then a non-guaranteed 6th year at 25 million?

I don't believe a thing about these contracts nor will I form a solid opinion either way until the actual legit #'s come out.

I think it will be the $12 million and then a series of lower figures, with a team out in 3 years.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 03:50 PM
The full Stephon Tuitt details

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/09/the-full-stephon-tuitt-details/

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 04:05 PM
The full Stephon Tuitt details

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/09/the-full-stephon-tuitt-details/

After this year, Tuitt's contract is ludicrously cheap.

pczach
09-09-2017, 04:55 PM
He's young, and he's a stud. He has played a ridiculous amount of snaps because of the lack of depth. The team has addressed that problem, and Tuitt and Heyward are going to be fresher and more explosive later in games.

I love this signing. There is nothing about him that concerns me about giving him a long-term deal. He has earned it, and he's going to be an asset for a very long time. His best football is in front of him.

steelreserve
09-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Really glad to see them doing deals like this instead of like ... $1.5M cap hit, $2M, $15M, $15M, $18M, restructure, restructure, restructure. Avoiding those crippling increases where an extra $10 million in cap space is suddenly occupied for no good reason really helps you manage your finances intelligently.

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2017, 05:03 PM

I like Tuitt but that's a ridiculous statement. Bell is one of the best overall HBs in the NFL. The only other HB that can do what Bell does is David Johnson. Tuitt has yet to even make a Pro Bowl.

Bell is as underappreciated by some Steeler fans as Ben is.

st33lersguy
09-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Excellent news. Both the starting DEs are locked up through the 2020 season which is tremendous

DesertSteel
09-09-2017, 05:22 PM
We've got the book ends. Now the OLBs need to step up. Watt and Dupree, it's on you.

43Hitman
09-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Now I want to see Colbert zero in on Boswell's new contract.

polamalubeast
09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Now I want to see Colbert zero in on Boswell's new contract.

next year....

Mojouw
09-09-2017, 07:04 PM
For those that feel that Tuitt got too much loot:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7555/akiem-hicks

This dude got 4 years at $12 million per.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TuitSt00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HickAk00.htm

Those #'s speak for themselves.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-09-2017, 07:28 PM
For those that feel that Tuitt got too much loot:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7555/akiem-hicks

This dude got 4 years at $12 million per.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TuitSt00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HickAk00.htm

Those #'s speak for themselves.

Good reference. Signing one of the best young 5 technique ends in the NFL long term is a great accomplishment.

Fans will complain Tuitt got too much money.
Fans would complain if Tuitt left for the same if not more money.
Some fans just love to complain.
Some people are only happy when they are unhappy.

st33lersguy
09-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Good reference. Signing one of the best young 5 technique ends in the NFL long term is a great accomplishment.

Fans will complain Tuitt got too much money.
Fans would complain if Tuitt left for the same if not more money.
Some fans just love to complain.
Some people are only happy when they are unhappy.

Yeah, they got as good a deal as they were going to get for a top tier 3-4 DE.

steelreserve
09-09-2017, 10:13 PM
It's a crapload of money, but he is one of those guys we need to keep at any price. I am not joking when I say he might be the most important player on the entire defense.

lipps83
09-10-2017, 12:01 AM
I like Tuitt but that's a ridiculous statement. Bell is one of the best overall HBs in the NFL. The only other HB that can do what Bell does is David Johnson. Tuitt has yet to even make a Pro Bowl.

Bell is as underappreciated by some Steeler fans as Ben is.

Context.

Bell is the best back in the league. As good as this offense is, he is NOT irreplaceable or integral. He makes it better, yes, but not sooo much better that they can't win without him.

Good 3-4 ends don't grow on trees like decent halfbacks do.

pepsyman1
09-10-2017, 02:53 AM
I've really gotta give the front office credit. As fans looking for a real chance to win another Super Bowl, I don't think we could have wished for a better off season than the Steelers put together. They put real effort into addressing every weakness, got some big contract signings taken care of and got us set up with a literal pole position in this years race. Colbert deserves mad props this year.

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Context.

Bell is the best back in the league. As good as this offense is, he is NOT irreplaceable or integral. He makes it better, yes, but not sooo much better that they can't win without him.

I disagree. Bell is very integral to our offense. He lead the team for the second half of last year and into the playoffs. The offense revolved around him. Outside of Ben, he's the most integral piece of the offense.

Look at our defense last year after Cam went down. Sure, there was a drop off in the DL play but I'd argue that it wasn't that significant. Now that we also have Alualu and Walton has kept improving, I'd say that losing Tuitt wouldn't be that big of a hit.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm very happy that we've signed Tuitt to a long extension. If he and Cam can stay healthy, our DL is going to be one of the best in the NFL.

polamalubeast
09-10-2017, 08:39 AM
It depends who is his replacement.

In second half of the season in 2015, the steelers survived the loss of Bell, because the steelers had a good replacement and the steelers had a great passing game.

Last year, if Bell were not there, it would have hurt, since our passing game was not the same because of the suspension of Bryant and that its replacement was Hamilton and the replacement of Bell was not the same player that in 2015.

For this year we are better with Bell but I think we can survive if Bell would not be there especially if Watson or Conner can does the job, since our passing game is going to be surely great with Bryant back.

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2017, 08:58 AM

In second half of the season in 2015, the steelers survived the loss of Bell, because the steelers had a good replacement and the steelers had a great passing game.

Last year, if Bell were not there, it would have hurt, since our passing game was not the same because of the suspension of Bryant and that its replacement was Hamilton and the replacement of Bell was not the same player that in 2015.

For this year we are better with Bell but I think we can survive if Bell would not be there especially if Watson or Conner can does the job, since our passing game is going to be surely great with Bryant back.

Conner doesn't have a single carry in a regular season NFL game and Watson has only played in one. Neither has shown the ability to be anything more than a grinder. Our offense would change significantly without Bell. Sure, we can survive, but it would be a big hit. How much of a hit would really depend on if Ben, Brown, Bryant, etc. can carry the load. I hope that we don't have to find out.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 09:45 AM

The entire offense has morphed to exploit Bells unique skill set. Without him the formations and personnel groupings all would change. The amount of run pass options, now the backbone of the offense, would drop significantly. It simply can not be underestimated how much Bells unique running style and singular pass catching abilities have become the organizing principle of the offense.

Can he be replaced? Sure. The offense looks totally different then. AB can be replaced. Big Ben can be replaced. I would not be in a hurry to have to do any of that.

polamalubeast
09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
The entire offense has morphed to exploit Bells unique skill set. Without him the formations and personnel groupings all would change. The amount of run pass options, now the backbone of the offense, would drop significantly. It simply can not be underestimated how much Bells unique running style and singular pass catching abilities have become the organizing principle of the offense.

Can he be replaced? Sure. The offense looks totally different then. AB can be replaced. Big Ben can be replaced. I would not be in a hurry to have to do any of that.

It would be different and of course the steelers are much better with Bell.But it's just to say that the steelers have survived in the second half of 2015 without Bell when the steelers had Brown, Bryant and Ben.

Of course, Williams was a great replacement and we do not know what Conner or Watson can do right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Context.

I agree with you for the most part here. Bell is a special RB in that he can be a threat in the passing game and run game, but you don't simply go out there and overpay RB's any more in the NFL. Instead of paying Bell $12 million, you can take that salary and find a good RB and another WR, TE, or O lineman and I think your Offense can be just as productive. If you say that Tuitt is too expensive and let him walk, then what D lineman do you get for lesser $ that makes your defense better?

We can say that you put that $ into a LB or CB, but if you cant control the line of scrimmage on defense, you are gonna get beat up on and scored upon every week in the NFL.

lipps83
09-10-2017, 02:13 PM
I agree with you for the most part here. Bell is a special RB in that he can be a threat in the passing game and run game, but you don't simply go out there and overpay RB's any more in the NFL. Instead of paying Bell $12 million, you can take that salary and find a good RB and another WR, TE, or O lineman and I think your Offense can be just as productive. If you say that Tuitt is too expensive and let him walk, then what D lineman do you get for lesser $ that makes your defense better?

We can say that you put that $ into a LB or CB, but if you cant control the line of scrimmage on defense, you are gonna get beat up on and scored upon every week in the NFL.

Exactly my point. I think people get lost in the fact that Bell is the best back in the league and very dynamic. If this offense was not that good, sure keep him around because you do in fact need him at that point.

The fact remains, the Steelers offense does not suffer that much without him. With 15 million per year, you can get some decent upgrades elsewhere in the team.

You can't have the best players in the league at every position.

Born2Steel
09-10-2017, 03:55 PM
This offense does suffer without Bell. I can't understand why I keep reading that. This offense has been better when he's on the field since the day he got here. Not saying we would have won the AFCCG but it would have been a much different game with a healthy Bell. I think we have improved our RB corps this offseason so the dropoff shouldn't be as much when Bell goes out, but DWill did great for us, and he's no Bell. For the money($15M, to quote) that much money cannot be spent on 1 RB, I agree 100%. But without Bell, this offense has a completely different look. Bell goes today 7 for 15-20 yards, because Browns had to key on him. As effect, AB goes for 180 and JJ gets 2 receiving TDs. To think these are not connected would be naive.

Craic
09-10-2017, 04:03 PM
This offense does suffer without Bell. I can't understand why I keep reading that. This offense has been better when he's on the field since the day he got here. Not saying we would have won the AFCCG but it would have been a much different game with a healthy Bell. I think we have improved our RB corps this offseason so the dropoff shouldn't be as much when Bell goes out, but DWill did great for us, and he's no Bell. For the money($15M, to quote) that much money cannot be spent on 1 RB, I agree 100%. But without Bell, this offense has a completely different look. Bell goes today 7 for 15-20 yards, because Browns had to key on him. As effect, AB goes for 180 and JJ gets 2 receiving TDs. To think these are not connected would be naive.

They're not connected. Not today. Perhaps I'd have agreed with you in the latter half of last year, or even in a few weeks. But today, Bell's numbers were low because he was playing at preseason game 1 quality. He started getting a little better in the second half, but last year's Bell wasn't on the field today. I doubt he will be next week, too. In fact, I'd guess it'll take 3-4 weeks before he's really back in NFL regular season form, which will mean (if that happens) that we've again gone a quarter season without our top NFL RB (this year, it'll be a not-so-cheap imitation for the first few weeks). I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2017, 04:07 PM
They're not connected. Not today. Perhaps I'd have agreed with you in the latter half of last year, or even in a few weeks. But today, Bell's numbers were low because he was playing at preseason game 1 quality. He started getting a little better in the second half, but last year's Bell wasn't on the field today. I doubt he will be next week, too. In fact, I'd guess it'll take 3-4 weeks before he's really back in NFL regular season form, which will mean (if that happens) that we've again gone a quarter season without our top NFL RB (this year, it'll be a not-so-cheap imitation for the first few weeks). I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Yea, he was rusty today. That's to be expected. I think the lack of production had a lot more to do with the terrible OL play though. They were poor all the way through the preseason and continued that today.

Butch
09-10-2017, 04:31 PM
While I will give you that the O-line looked horrible you can't blame them when the pass is off because you didn't show up for the pre-season and so your timing with your QB is off. I saw NOTHING from Bell today and his unwillingness to show up for pre-season is his own fault. I don't know how long it will take for him to get into game form but he's not there yet and therefore he's not a weapon on offence.

Don't worry Le Veon Brown picked up your slack

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
I personally couldn't name a guy along the Browns front, but they balled out today.

On most carries, Bell had no where to go. If it really was just that Bell was rusty from not being in camp - how do you explain that he averaged 3.2 yards a carry to Conner's 2.8?

When there were holes, Bell hit them. Would he have been better if he had been in camp? Sure. But the whole offense would've been better if any of them had actually played more than 5 snaps together in preseason and camp.

The Bell stays out = bad game = he's a selfish dirtball is such a lazy "hot take" narrative.

What's funny, is that since everyone seems bound and determined to be negative after a win -- why wouldn't we all freak out about the actually terrifying problem -- the Browns front wall stole the vaunted Steelers o-line lunch money today, pulled down their pants, and then made fun of their Gobots under-roos. That is far more concerning, to me, for the long-term success of the team this season than Bell having one crappy game.

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2017, 05:24 PM
I personally couldn't name a guy along the Browns front, but they balled out today.

On most carries, Bell had no where to go. If it really was just that Bell was rusty from not being in camp - how do you explain that he averaged 3.2 yards a carry to Conner's 2.8?

When there were holes, Bell hit them. Would he have been better if he had been in camp? Sure. But the whole offense would've been better if any of them had actually played more than 5 snaps together in preseason and camp.

The Bell stays out = bad game = he's a selfish dirtball is such a lazy "hot take" narrative.

What's funny, is that since everyone seems bound and determined to be negative after a win -- why wouldn't we all freak out about the actually terrifying problem -- the Browns front wall stole the vaunted Steelers o-line lunch money today, pulled down their pants, and then made fun of their Gobots under-roos. That is far more concerning, to me, for the long-term success of the team this season than Bell having one crappy game.

I agree 100%. Everyone's so quick to point their finger at Bell instead of seeing that the real problem was the OL. I have confidence that Munchak will get them performing up to par but they played poorly throughout the preseason and continued today.

lipps83
09-10-2017, 05:50 PM

I agree with you to an extent. I never did say they didn't suffer, the offense does suffer without Bell, but they are going to still be pretty damn good. All the extra incentives he brings are nice-to-haves. They are not going to make or break a game. If the Steelers lose a game, it isn't going to be because the next back didn't run as crisp routes as Bell.

Bell is the best in the league, no doubt. But for 7 million less per year, I would take Devonta Freeman any day of the week and 5 times on Sundays.

He isn't even worth 12 per year in my eyes. Heck, I might not even go 10. He is not a necessity.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 06:15 PM
I will just say this about L. Bell and then I'll try and let it go.

The entire offensive playbook is predicated on things that, right now in the NFL, ONLY Bell and AB do. Even if the play doesn't go to Bell, the unique set of threats and capabilities that he brings to the field change both the offensive personnel groupings the Steelers can put on the field AND often dictates what the defense is willing to line-up in.

Can the Steelers score and be scary on offense with another RB? Certainly. But it needs to be realized and acknowledged that going into this season:

1. L. Bell is the most dominant offensive weapon in the entire NFL. Full stop. No debate, no wiggle room. It is a stark fact. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/leveon-bell-is-the-most-dominant-player-in-the-nfl/
2. The entire offensive philosophy, game-planning, and play calling has been totally skewed by the unique and almost totally unprecedented skill set that Bell brings to the game. https://www.theringer.com/2017/1/19/16043740/leveon-bell-running-back-style-pittsburgh-steelers-b7ecf738b64f
3. Lurking underneath both of those facts is the constant dominating presence of AB. https://www.theringer.com/2017/1/11/16077040/nfl-playoffs-pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-80dcddbfd05a

Removing Brown or Bell from this team would essentially be equivalent of removing one of your limbs. Can you survive that? Absolutely. Can you replace that limb and return to close to your previous abilities? Most cases, yes. Would it be a traumatic and life-altering event? Undoubtedly.

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 08:39 PM
And he just tore his bicep, out for the season

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Speaking of Tuitt

lipps83
09-10-2017, 08:45 PM
What happened on the play? I don't even remember him going off the field. I just remember him destroying the Browns, stepped away for a few minutes, then heard he had left.

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Not sure how it happened just know we are without a big cog in the wheel on defensive line...i hate that for him cause dude is a baller and gonna be an all-pro

Hawkman
09-10-2017, 09:03 PM
And he just tore his bicep, out for the season

Do you have a link on that.

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Its on bleacher report, plus somebody just started a new thread on it...adam schefter reported it

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 09:18 PM
My bad i thought somebody started a thread on it but didnt...it is being being reported by shefter though