PDA

View Full Version : Bud Dupree Could Struggle To ‘Shoulder’ The Load With One Dinged

Shoes
09-09-2017, 10:42 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers were hoping that former first-round draft pick Bud Dupree would be able to do much entering his third season to carry the defense on his shoulders, but at least during the early stages of the 2017 process, on the eve of the regular season, that appears to be posing an issue.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/bud-dupree-struggle-shoulder-load-one-dinged/

DesertSteel
09-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Looking like the same old Bud... :-/

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Would they be able to rotate Watt with Dupree until he's healthy? Have Harrison rotate in on the blind side when Watt plays the face?

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm not too concerned. Once he got on the field last year he was able to stay out there. Besides it doesn't sound like it's a severe injury. The early season schedule is fairly bland. Play him sparingly till he's healthy for the stretch run.

Born2Steel
09-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Hmm...first game hasn't been played yet. I'll worry about this later.

Steeldude
09-09-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm not too concerned. Once he got on the field last year he was able to stay out there. Besides it doesn't sound like it's a severe injury. The early season schedule is fairly bland. Play him sparingly till he's healthy for the stretch run.

If it is his rotator cuff that could be a problem.

43Hitman
09-09-2017, 12:35 PM
It happened in a non padded practice. Tunch and Wolf were talking about it the other day. Apparently things got a little chippy between both units. They're ready to knock some heads.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Inactive Dupree shits the bed again. looks like another R1 OLB pick next year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/steelers-vs-browns-inactives-week-1/

43Hitman
09-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Inactive Dupree shits the bed again. looks like another R1 OLB pick next year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/steelers-vs-browns-inactives-week-1/
I'm surprised, it was made out to not be a big deal. Let's see how long it lingers.

Edman
09-10-2017, 11:14 AM
B2B years of drafting players made of glass (Shazier & Dupree).

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Y'all are such pessimists. Another way to look at it is that the organization decided that they could likely get past the Browns without risking further injury to a key player. They de-activate that player and Dupree begins the cycle for week 2 ready to go.

I mean that may not be the case at all. By tomorrow morning he could have an MRI that puts him on IR for the season or something. But why the constant leap to disaster?

Chins up, buckaroos. All is not yet lost.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Y'all are such pessimists. Another way to look at it is that the organization decided that they could likely get past the Browns without risking further injury to a key player. They de-activate that player and Dupree begins the cycle for week 2 ready to go.

I mean that may not be the case at all. By tomorrow morning he could have an MRI that puts him on IR for the season or something. But why the constant leap to disaster?

Chins up, buckaroos. All is not yet lost.

Agreed, he only missed 9 games last year.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Agreed, he only missed 9 games last year.

I get that. How much of that was due to roster maneuvers and the IR return rules? 4 weeks? 2 weeks? 0 weeks? I have no idea.

It just seems that this team is pretty good on paper. Even has some depth in places. But around here it is "what if" doom and gloom on almost every thread!

It seems that anything less than a SB victory to cap an undefeated season with an average margin of victory of 3+ touchdowns is cause for a great deal of alarm. Injuries, turnovers, bad luck, overall weirdness all happen each week in the NFL. Just ride it out - it usually evens out over the course of the season.

Until we hear for sure that Dupree's shoulder is essentially a sack of sawdust held together with baling wire and scotch tape -- assume that it is just a little boo-boo and he will be fine. It leads to far less indigestion!

Hawkman
09-10-2017, 11:47 AM
I get that. How much of that was due to roster maneuvers and the IR return rules? 4 weeks? 2 weeks? 0 weeks? I have no idea.

It just seems that this team is pretty good on paper. Even has some depth in places. But around here it is "what if" doom and gloom on almost every thread!

It seems that anything less than a SB victory to cap an undefeated season with an average margin of victory of 3+ touchdowns is cause for a great deal of alarm. Injuries, turnovers, bad luck, overall weirdness all happen each week in the NFL. Just ride it out - it usually evens out over the course of the season.

Until we hear for sure that Dupree's shoulder is essentially a sack of sawdust held together with baling wire and scotch tape -- assume that it is just a little boo-boo and he will be fine. It leads to far less indigestion!
:thumbsup::tt03:

Steeldude
09-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Good trade bait.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Good trade bait.
Walk me through what that looks like. Because this is the logic I come up with:

1. Dupree is not a starter because he can't be counted on to be healthy. Can't make the club from the tub!
2. Even if he was healthy, it isn't clear that Chickillo is not a better option. 2 sacks! That's great. Plus a player's best ability is availability!
3. Moats is a solid back-up for both spots. Plus there is always J Harrison. He's never gonna stop being a beast!
4. Dupree is just soaking up a roster spot. 1st round bust. Most likely some other team is better off gambling on whatever little physical potential he has left.

So, if I have that all straight - Dupree should bring what on the trade market? A conditional 4th at best? Flipping first round picks for middle round darts isn't what good teams do.

Maybe I'm not following your meaning. If I am not, then apologies and I'll move on.

SteelMayhem72
09-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Like your analysis, Chickillo is coming into form so im not worried by this. Im more worried about Tuitt's replacement

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Steeldude
09-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Walk me through what that looks like. Because this is the logic I come up with:

1. Dupree is not a starter because he can't be counted on to be healthy. Can't make the club from the tub!
2. Even if he was healthy, it isn't clear that Chickillo is not a better option. 2 sacks! That's great. Plus a player's best ability is availability!
3. Moats is a solid back-up for both spots. Plus there is always J Harrison. He's never gonna stop being a beast!
4. Dupree is just soaking up a roster spot. 1st round bust. Most likely some other team is better off gambling on whatever little physical potential he has left.

So, if I have that all straight - Dupree should bring what on the trade market? A conditional 4th at best? Flipping first round picks for middle round darts isn't what good teams do.

Maybe I'm not following your meaning. If I am not, then apologies and I'll move on.

You could couple Dupree with a draft pick to move up in the draft. There are a lot of stupid teams in the NFL who are enamored with potential.

Besides his attendance, the issue I have with Dupree is he hasn't shown much yet and he will probably remain a starter regardless of poor production. It could be Jarvis Jones all over again. Hopefully he can play in the next 15 games to actually show what he can give the team. If he only plays 8 or so games then why keep him around at the end of the year? Draft another OLB if Chickillo can't be a quality starter. As of now, Dupree hasn't shown that much to warrant his draft status.

Shoes
09-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Looks like Dupree has an ankle injury besides his shoulder and whatever else is keeping him on the pine plank. I don't expect him in week 2.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/tomlin-not-surprised-sunday-play-chickillo-alualu/

Mojouw
09-12-2017, 04:47 PM
You could couple Dupree with a draft pick to move up in the draft. There are a lot of stupid teams in the NFL who are enamored with potential.

Besides his attendance, the issue I have with Dupree is he hasn't shown much yet and he will probably remain a starter regardless of poor production. It could be Jarvis Jones all over again. Hopefully he can play in the next 15 games to actually show what he can give the team. If he only plays 8 or so games then why keep him around at the end of the year? Draft another OLB if Chickillo can't be a quality starter. As of now, Dupree hasn't shown that much to warrant his draft status.

This is the part of trade discussions I always struggle with. If the desire to trade the player is because they are under performing, then who would want to give you back anything of value for the player?

Now maybe if Dupree plays the rest of the 2017 schedule and kinda flops, then I see the argument because you can kinda "know" that he isn't an asset any more and take pennies on the dollar.

But there was a reason that he went in the first round. Of course he came with a boatload of "ifs" and "buts".

Still Dupree's potential ceiling is still higher than anyone elses on the roster at the OLB position - that includes Watt. If Dupree can ever marry athletic traits to football production, I shudder to think what kinda #'s he can put up.

RunNGun
09-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Definitely not willing to call him a bust. He needs to make some noise this year though. It's really ashame we can't keep our best athletes on defense, in Dupree and Shazier, healthy. When the time comes where Watt, Shazier, and Dupree are all on the field it's going to be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

Shoes
09-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Definitely not willing to call him a bust. He needs to make some noise this year though. It's really ashame we can't keep our best athletes on defense, in Dupree and Shazier, healthy. When the time comes where Watt, Shazier, and Dupree are all on the field it's going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

He seems like he kicked it up a notch toward the end of the season, but its meaningless if he can't stay on the field. Hope he gets it together.

BlackAndGold
09-13-2017, 04:12 AM
Still Dupree's potential ceiling is still higher than anyone elses on the roster at the OLB position - that includes Watt. If Dupree can ever marry athletic traits to football production, I shudder to think what kinda #'s he can put up.

That's what makes the potential of Dupree and Watt scary, because Watt has a high ceiling himself.

RunNGun
09-13-2017, 07:58 AM
He seems like he kicked it up a notch toward the end of the season, but its meaningless if he can't stay on the field. Hope he gets it together.

He definitely did. When Dupree returned last year it was a different defense. Much improved. If everyone is healthy I think this is a top 5 defense.

Mojouw
09-13-2017, 11:14 AM
That's what makes the potential of Dupree and Watt scary, because Watt has a high ceiling himself.

No doubt. But looking at their measurables, Dupree is a bit of a more explosive athlete. Not by much, but it is there. Watt is a better overall LB. You can play this game all day.

If Watt was unpolished coming out. Dupree was beyond raw. Either way, if those two can develop in tandem -- could be two of the better bookends the Steelers have had in quite some time.

Born2Steel
09-13-2017, 11:31 AM
No doubt. But looking at their measurables, Dupree is a bit of a more explosive athlete. Not by much, but it is there. Watt is a better overall LB. You can play this game all day.

If Watt was unpolished coming out. Dupree was beyond raw. Either way, if those two can develop in tandem -- could be two of the better bookends the Steelers have had in quite some time.

Bud was the OLB I wanted that draft. I liked the Watt pick but there were others I would have been just as happy with there. I think we have our future front 7 for now. If VW has to be the weakest link, I'll take that. Depth is even starting to look better.

Psycho Ward 86
09-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Bud's own words for his availability against the Vikings after being limited in practice today: "I should be able to play"

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dupree-Chickillo-a-one-two-punch/0ef61cbc-3dc7-4f1a-9753-dd2b82396d72

Shoes
09-13-2017, 09:43 PM
Bud's own words for his availability against the Vikings after being limited in practice today: "I should be able to play"

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dupree-Chickillo-a-one-two-punch/0ef61cbc-3dc7-4f1a-9753-dd2b82396d72

Good!

BurghBoy412
09-13-2017, 09:46 PM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dupree-Chickillo-a-one-two-punch/0ef61cbc-3dc7-4f1a-9753-dd2b82396d72In other words "I'll string you along all week and then throw on my sweatsuit for the game Sunday."

DesertSteel
09-13-2017, 09:49 PM
If Chick gets two more sacks, he may just Pipp'd.