PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Player

RunNGun
09-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Now that the regular season is almost underway and we have seen some of the youngsters in action, who is going to breakout this year?

On offense, I would love for it to be Jesse James. He could really set this offense on fire if he's a reliable target for Ben. However, the signing of McDonald and the unimpressive preseason of James makes me think he probably won't turn the corner.

Ben is in need of a possession target, whether that be a TE or WR. I believe JuJu will be that guy. I predict he will pass Rogers on the depth chart before week 4. We may even see more 4 WR sets to get him on the field. He's going to be that reliable security blanket Ben desperately needs. I'm not saying JuJu will have a 1,000 yards, or even 800, but I think his impact will be evident. Hoping he can stay healthy.

Defense is a much tougher selection. I'd like to think 4 or 5 guys could breakout. So much young talent on that side it's difficult to choose one. I would pick Shazier, but we all know what he is capable of, just a matter of staying on the field.

I debated between Burns and Dupree, but I went with Burns. If we finally have corner who can consistently lock down his side of the field it could make this defense top 5. With him guarding AB in practice I look for him to keep growing and having a pro bowl caliber year.

polamalubeast
09-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Eli Rogers on offense
Burns and Dupree on defense

Mojouw
09-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Offense - Martavis Bryant. His two seasons showed a phenomenal amount of potential, but really didn't rack up the stats. I think if everyone stays healthy and "Road Ben" kinda takes a season off, Bryant can post a young Randy Moss type line of 70 catches, 1200-1400 yards, and about a dozen touchdowns.

Defense - It is all about health on this side of the ball. I also agree with RunNGun - a handful of guys have flashed the potential to be big-time players. Davis, Burns, Hargrave all seemed primed for big sophomore campaigns. Tuitt should move from being a name Steelers fans know to a name NFL fans know. Dupree appears to be ready to emerge as a monster. Watt could be the rookie of the year on defense if Myles Garrett gets kidnapped and held hostage for the next 18 weeks. BUT IF (this is the key) he stays health -- Ryan Shazier will win DPOY. I'm going to call my shot now. 16 games of Ryan Shazier can redefine middle linebacker play the same way that 16 healthy games of Troy Polamalu redefined safety play. Will we, as Steelers fans and football fans ever get to see that? I have no idea. Looks doubtful...but I honestly believe it would be something to see.

Born2Steel
09-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Offense - Bell

Defense - Hargrave

86WARD
09-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Offense - Even with McDonald in house, James will be the breakout guy.

Defense - Cam Heyward will go beyond the next level.

polamalubeast
09-06-2017, 10:51 AM
I would be surprised if Jesse James become good....Not even 6 yards per target last year.

I hope that McDonald will help us and be good for us!

DesertSteel
09-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Offense: Conner. Bell will find himself injured for 3-4 games and Conner will save the season with a handful of 100-yard games.
Defense: Gravedigger. He's a thumper.

teegre
09-06-2017, 02:12 PM
OFFENSE:
This one is easy:
Martavis Bryant
I said earlier in the year that I expect him to have the two greatest back-to-back season that a WR has ever had (37 TDs)... and then, become the highest paid free agent in history (Dallas).

DEFENSE:
Man alive, there are so many possibilities.

Burns covering AB during camp gives me hope that we have the best CB on our roster since Rod Woodson (Burns = Ike with better hands).

Davis has so much potential.

Shazier has DPOY written all over him.

Watt is a splash play waiting to happen.

Dupree: if he can get an inside pass-rush move, he might be unstoppable.

Heyward just gets gets better and better, and with Tuitt & Hargrave, he might go from great to HOLY CRAP!!!

Tuitt is on the cusp of league-wide stardom.

Hargrave might be the best D-lineman of the bunch (which is saying something considering how good Heyward & Tuitt are).

But... my final answer is:

Mike Hilton
I think that we see a corner blitz for a sack about 12 time at his year. I see him creating 8 turnovers (fumbles, INTs). And, I see him breaking up 90% of the passes thrown his way. Sure, he is "only" a slot guy, but covering slot receivers is just as important as covering the stars (a catch is a catch). Oh... and he'll wreak havoc on special teams, to boot.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Hilton is my choice as well and some of the others mentioned pretty much broke out already. They may have not reach there full potential yet but already pretty good players.

Shoes
09-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Once Bryant gets his sea legs back-look out!

With a motor that doesn't stop, Watt will cause a major positive change for the defence.

SteelerCountry58
09-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Once Bryant gets his sea legs back-look out!

With a motor that doesn't stop, Watt is cause a major positive change for the defence.
I agree!��

st33lersguy
09-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Offense: MB, he is dynamic, he just has to put it together.
A dark horse candidate I think is very much possible, Vance McDonald, the new TE. May be able to make a leap with Ben instead of Gabbert/Kaepernick

Defense: Hargrave, he came on strong near the end and I think he is ready to break through. He's a wrecking ball

ALLD
09-06-2017, 08:11 PM
If we count until after the bye it could be Watt. He could help the DBs too.

BurghBoy412
09-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Offensively. Ben, Ben it's gotta be Ben!

On the "D" I'm looking forward to watching Javon Hargrave become one of the NFL's premiere interior lineman. Eat up those blockers young man!

Mojouw
09-06-2017, 10:27 PM
OFFENSE:
This one is easy:
Martavis Bryant
I said earlier in the year that I expect him to have the two greatest back-to-back season that a WR has ever had (37 TDs)... and then, become the highest paid free agent in history (Dallas).

DEFENSE:
Man alive, there are so many possibilities.

Burns covering AB during camp gives me hope that we have the best CB on our roster since Rod Woodson (Burns = Ike with better hands).

Davis has so much potential.

Shazier has DPOY written all over him.

Watt is a splash play waiting to happen.

Dupree: if he can get an inside pass-rush move, he might be unstoppable.

Heyward just gets gets better and better, and with Tuitt & Hargrave, he might go from great to HOLY CRAP!!!

Tuitt is on the cusp of league-wide stardom.

Hargrave might be the best D-lineman of the bunch (which is saying something considering how good Heyward & Tuitt are).

But... my final answer is:

Mike Hilton
I think that we see a corner blitz for a sack about 12 time at his year. I see him creating 8 turnovers (fumbles, INTs). And, I see him breaking up 90% of the passes thrown his way. Sure, he is "only" a slot guy, but covering slot receivers is just as important as covering the stars (a catch is a catch). Oh... and he'll wreak havoc on special teams, to boot.

Did you know that Teegre and Mojouw have never been seen in the same place at the same time? Just like Batman and Bruce Wayne!

what I'm trying to say is that I think T is Bruce Wayne.

Dude, can I borrow a few hundred million?

i also totally agree with your breakout post.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm still waiting for Shazier to break out. Play 16 regular season games and lead the team in tackles.

That and somebody to record double digit sacks in a season.

teegre
09-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Did you know that Teegre and Mojouw have never been seen in the same place at the same time? Just like Batman and Bruce Wayne!

Well, I do stay up late at night and make soap.

86WARD
09-07-2017, 07:27 AM
I'm still waiting for Shazier to break out. Play 16 regular season games and lead the team in tackles.

That and somebody to record double digit sacks in a season.

Shazier will "break" out...he always "breaks" out...

pczach
09-07-2017, 12:18 PM

what I'm trying to say is that I think T is Bruce Wayne.

Dude, can I borrow a few hundred million?

i also totally agree with your breakout post.

Holy shit Batman!

Steeldude
09-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Off: James

Def: Hargrave

Dark Horse: Matakevich

I guess it depends on what people think breakout means. Isn't Bell already a breakout player?

Born2Steel
09-07-2017, 12:41 PM

I guess it depends on what people think breakout means. Isn't Bell already a breakout player?

Bell goes over 2000 yards puts him in a different category.

RunNGun
09-07-2017, 05:41 PM

I would exclude from the breakout list Ben, Bell, Brown, Heyward, Harrison, Gay, and Mitchell.

Interesting dark horse pick. I could see Matakevich taking over for Vince before the seasons end. He has a knack for being where the ball is. Kind of reminds of Larry Foote. He's a smart player.

Hawkman
09-07-2017, 06:51 PM
I would exclude from the breakout list Ben, Bell, Brown, Heyward, Harrison, Gay, and Mitchell.

Interesting dark horse pick. I could see Matakevich taking over for Vince before the seasons end. He has a knack for being where the ball is. Kind of reminds of Larry Foote. He's a smart player.

Not sure he will "take over" but I'm certain he will see playing time.

Craic
09-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Yeah, well, we play the Browns in the first game this Sunday. He'll probably get most of those then. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-07-2017, 08:35 PM

1000 rushing yards and 1000 receiving yards is more likely for Bell

FrancoLambert
09-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Not sure he will "take over" but I'm certain he will see playing time.

Re: Matakevich

If he takes over at ILB as a starter, we're in trouble.

I think he's starting to become overvalued by Steelers fans, similar to what happened with Ross Cockrell.

He's a great story. A low draft pick, great character guy, decent on special teams, but he's not very good in coverage and is handled pretty easily when engaged one on one.

Mojouw
09-07-2017, 10:50 PM

I think he's starting to become overvalued by Steelers fans, similar to what happened with Ross Cockrell.

He's a great story. A low draft pick, great character guy, decent on special teams, but he's not very good in coverage and is handled pretty easily when engaged one on one.

Couldn't agree more. Don't get the Matakevich love. Good story - meh player.

BlackAndGold
09-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Couldn't agree more. Don't get the Matakevich love. Good story - meh player.

Fort >>> Matakevich

09-08-2017, 12:40 AM
I'm really liking that Hunt for KC.

FrancoLambert
09-08-2017, 05:23 AM
Fort >>> Matakevich

:yup:

DesertSteel
09-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Give him $17M a year! Oh wait.... there ARE running backs other than Sir LeVeon who are young and cheap.

teegre
09-08-2017, 02:17 PM

So did Tomlin.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Hunt than Conner (nor am I saying that Tomlin would have taken Hunt over Conner), but Tomlin is pretty damn good at evaluating skill players on offense: Bell, OBJ, Hunt... Conner???

BurghBoy412
09-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Sean Davis will enter his name in the "Best Safety" conversation this season

09-08-2017, 08:18 PM
So did Tomlin.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Hunt than Conner (nor am I saying that Tomlin would have taken Hunt over Conner), but Tomlin is pretty damn good at evaluating skill players on offense: Bell, OBJ, Hunt... Conner??? Yep hard to argue about Tomlin with some of the most talented players he brought here over the years.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I also forgive him for Jarvis Jones.

09-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Also Hunt proves that Bell should have shut up and took the deal he was offered. Tons of talented rb's coming into the NFL each year now and the position is one of the easiest to replace.

DesertSteel
09-08-2017, 08:55 PM
PS. I also forgive him for Jarvis Jones.
Now the healing can begin...

09-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Now the healing can begin... Already has in the drafting of Watt.

teegre
09-08-2017, 10:43 PM

QFT

RunNGun
09-08-2017, 11:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That's a bit bold.

RunNGun
09-08-2017, 11:28 PM

Matakevich is by no means a long term answer, but neither is Vince Williams. I think it's possible for Matakevich to win the job before seasons end. Vince brings the thunder, but Matakevich is more disciplined. Neither one is a good against the pass. I could see VW making a few too many mistakes and Matakevich getting an opportunity.

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 07:53 AM
So did Tomlin.

I'm not saying I'd rather have Hunt than Conner (nor am I saying that Tomlin would have taken Hunt over Conner), but Tomlin is pretty damn good at evaluating skill players on offense: Bell, OBJ, Hunt... Conner???

I agree. I think its safe to say Management wanted Conner more than any other back this year. Even if Tomlin had his eyes elsewhere (which I doubt). They were taking Conner. Because James Conner is a PR dream!

- - - Updated - - -

Matakevich is by no means a long term answer, but neither is Vince Williams. I think it's possible for Matakevich to win the job before seasons end. Vince brings the thunder, but Matakevich is more disciplined. Neither one is a good against the pass. I could see VW making a few too many mistakes and Matakevich getting an opportunity.

This is why JJ Wilcox was brought in. IMO

BurghBoy412
09-09-2017, 08:25 AM

- - - Updated - - -

That's a bit bold.I don't see how. The kid hasn't done any harm to his name. He's the quiet guy. His name doesn't get brought up much. Depending on how you feel about that... It could be good or it could be bad. When you're doing your job and there aren't complaints to be made. In my book that's a good thing. It reminds me of Aaron Smith.

teegre
09-09-2017, 08:52 AM
I agree. I think its safe to say Management wanted Conner more than any other back this year. Even if Tomlin had his eyes elsewhere (which I doubt). They were taking Conner. Because James Conner is a PR dream!

Plus... Conner is a good RB.

86WARD
09-09-2017, 08:33 PM
He was a good Preseason RB...it's yet to be seen if he's a good NFL RB.

teegre
09-09-2017, 08:59 PM
He was a good Preseason RB...it's yet to be seen if he's a good NFL RB.

Back in late April, neither player had had a single NFL carry (preseason or otherwise).

Born2Steel
09-09-2017, 11:53 PM
DWill's number is still on speed dial.

RunNGun
09-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Plus... Conner is a good RB.

Agreed. I liked what I saw in preseason of Conner. I think him and Bell are a good tandem. Really hope they utilize Conner. I know a lot of people believe we should run him until the wheels fall off, but we need Bell healthy for the late run.

RunNGun
09-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I don't see how. The kid hasn't done any harm to his name. He's the quiet guy. His name doesn't get brought up much. Depending on how you feel about that... It could be good or it could be bad. When you're doing your job and there aren't complaints to be made. In my book that's a good thing. It reminds me of Aaron Smith.

He's hasn't caused any problems, but that doesn't warrant being mentioned with the top safeties in the league.

BurghBoy412
09-10-2017, 10:36 AM
He's hasn't caused any problems, but that doesn't warrant being mentioned with the top safeties in the league. That's why he has to have a "Breakout" season. I never said he is a "top safety." I said it wasn't a "bold" prediction that he'll "breakout" this year. IN OTHER WORDS HE HAS HUGE POTENTIAL TO HAVE A BREAKOUT SEASON!