PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Says Rookie Watt Has Been Steelers’ Starter ‘Since Day-Zero’

Shoes
09-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Thank God Tomlin snapped out of the LeBeau plan of benching rookies until they get a root system established....like about 3 years.

The Pittsburgh Steelers released their first regular season depth chart of 2017 (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/steelers-week-1-depth-chart-watt-listed-starter-juju-top-kickoff-returner/) on Tuesday and it includes rookie first-round draft pick T.J. Watt now being listed as the team’s starting right outside linebacker and ahead of veteran James Harrison. Because of that recent jump, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked during his Tuesday press conference to explain what he saw out of Watt during training camp and the preseason that led to him now being listed as a starter.
“He’s been there,” Tomlin said. “He’s been in that position really since day-zero. You don’t like at anoint people, you like to watch them earn it. We didn’t put it on paper, but it won’t be like he’s in a new position when he gets here on Wednesday. It will be the same spot in the huddle that he was in yesterday.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/tomlin-says-rookie-watt-steelers-starter-since-day-zero/

salamander
09-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Hopefully it works out. :thumbsup:

Edman
09-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Or could it just be that Watt showed a lot in preseason to where they won't need to bench him for a year or so? Watt was all over the place making plays.

I'm just hoping T.J can handle the load, but then again keeping Deebo in tip-top shape is awesome.

Mojouw
09-06-2017, 09:45 AM
The Steelers don't need Harrison in a Week 1 game against the Browns. At his age, and yes I know about the workouts, he only has so many pass rushes in his legs each year. He and the team need to save those for critical late season games and a hopefully extended playoff run.

If sending out Watt to start the season and learn on the fly is the best way to do that -- then I don't see how it is a bad thing?

Of course, cue the carping about how Tomlin hands things to draft picks. Rookies should have to earn it. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Steeldude
09-06-2017, 11:16 AM
So if Watt struggles will it take Tomlin 4 years to bench him like the Jones' debacle?

It would have been better if they gave Watt more playing time in the pre-season to evaluate him. He didn't show much.

:drink: Hoping for the best

Hawkman
09-06-2017, 04:51 PM
So if Watt struggles will it take Tomlin 4 years to bench him like the Jones' debacle?

It would have been better if they gave Watt more playing time in the pre-season to evaluate him. He didn't show much.

:drink: Hoping for the best

He showed plenty.

RunNGun
09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
I thought he was solid in preseason. The sacks weren't all that impressive, but he did a lot of other things well. I think Tomlin and Porter have strategy behind saying these kinds of things. I bet it really pisses Deebo off. A pissed off Deebo has got to be a scary site for any offense.

fansince'76
09-06-2017, 09:16 PM
I bet it really pisses Deebo off.

Maybe, but I'm honestly not sure about that. The only reason he's been playing so much this late in his career is because Jarvis Jones was such a liability. I would think Harrison would welcome the reprieve to stay as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

salamander
09-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Maybe, but I'm honestly not sure about that. The only reason he's been playing so much this late in his career is because Jarvis Jones was such a liability. I would think Harrison would welcome the reprieve to stay as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind Deebo making the game-clinching sack/fumble in the Super Bowl at the end of this season. :wink02:

pczach
09-07-2017, 06:04 AM
The better TJ Watt plays, the better it is for the team.

The more TJ Watt plays, the more he will improve.

When Watt needs a break, James Harrison is there to take reps.

The more TJ Watt plays, the more rested and effective James Harrison will play, and it is more likely that James is healthy and strong going into the playoffs.

I'm sure that's the plan.

tube517
09-07-2017, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't mind Deebo making the game-clinching sack/fumble in the Super Bowl at the end of this season. :wink02:He will have 3 sacks 2 FF and a 44 yard pick 6 in Super Bowl 52. Also he will have a clean long snap on a punt capping off a HOF career. He will get MVP and Disney will ask him on camera and he will say I'm going to workout and do that Deebo scowl.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shoes
09-07-2017, 08:32 AM

The more TJ Watt plays, the more rested and effective James Harrison will play, and it is more likely that James is healthy and strong going into the playoffs.

And this makes absolute sense.

Steeldude
09-07-2017, 11:20 AM

That's not always the case. Jarvis Jones is a perfect example. It remains to be seen if Watt can play in the NFL. If he is struggling then he needs to be taken out. I don't want to another Jones' scenario.

Shoes
09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
That's not always the case. Jarvis Jones is a perfect example. It remains to be seen if Watt can play in the NFL. If he is struggling then he needs to be taken out. I don't want to another Jones' scenario.
If you are going to use Jones as the standard, how long do you let Watt struggle before you pull him. Watt is much of further along in speed, use of hands, power and athletic ability than jones. I'd go as far as saying he is well ahead of where Harrison was at this point in his career.

Born2Steel
09-07-2017, 01:46 PM
If you are going to use Jones as the standard, how long do you let Watt struggle before you pull him. Watt is much of further along in speed, use of hands, power and athletic ability than jones. I'd go as far as saying he is well ahead of where Harrison was at this point in his career.

Looking back to 2000, Watt has already shown more than any other rookie OLB we have drafted. Through preseason, I understand. But still more. There will be mistakes and there will be players that he simply won't be able to beat. Speaking for right now, his upside is huge and his future is very bright.

Steeldude
09-07-2017, 01:59 PM

That depends on what he is struggling with, how badly he is struggling and if it is costing the Steelers the ability to compete. I think he will be ok in pass coverage due to his speed and athleticism. Setting the edge may be a little more difficult, but I think he will be ok there too. I am concerned about his pass rushing ability. He doesn't have to collect a lot of sacks, but he does need to show he can provide pressure.

I have no problem with them starting Watt, if he can perform. I want the best and most effective players on the field.

I won't write him off after one game, even if it is very bad. Just as I won't say he will be a star if he has a great game.

Craic
09-07-2017, 03:32 PM
I have no problem with them starting Watt, if he can perform. I want the best and most effective players on the field.

I won't write him off after one game, even if it is very bad. Just as I won't say he will be a star if he has a great game.

This. Absolutely, completely, this. Steeldude and I don't agree much, but he's absolutely right, here. I, too, have my concerns about Watt and have voiced them several times. One of them was assuaged in preseason, and that was Watt's speed. He seriously did not look as fast in college. I am still worried about his strength and getting stymied by any OT that has anything near decent technique, however, he did show better ability against good OT in his third(?) preseason game. That said, I'm not ready to anoint him because right now, he still reminds me of Jarvis Jones when it comes to facing OTs.

However, as SD said, I won't write him off after one game if it is bad. His work ethic and motor alone shows a great upside to the kid. I also won't crown him a star if he has a great game. After all, I remember Kendrell Bell a little too well.

Hawkman
09-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Sorry, I don't see anything resembling JJ (Jarvis Jones).

Steeldude
09-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Sorry, I don't see anything resembling JJ (Jarvis Jones).

Lack of strength and pass rush moves. He doesn't appear to be very explosive either. It all remains to be seen.

What Watt is better at than Jones is hustling and the drive to get better. He is also a better student.

Craic
09-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Lack of strength and pass rush moves. He doesn't appear to be very explosive either. It all remains to be seen.

What Watt is better at than Jones is hustling and the drive to get better. He is also a better student.

Exactly. I also might throw in work ethic, but I don't know Jones's work ethic so I can't say. I also think Watt has a tremendous upside compared to Jones.

pczach
09-07-2017, 07:29 PM

That's why I stated the first line the way I did. I'm not anointing him.

Leading up to the 2013 draft, all the "experts" were saying that everything was lining up for the Steelers and that taking Jarvis Jones was a no brainer. A few of us kept warning people back at Steelers Fever that we just didn't see the moves or speed in his game, and that I wouldn't take him with that first pick. I never believed in Jarvis Jones. I hoped he would improve, but he never did.

With all that said about Jones, let me make something clear. TJ Watt is no Jarvis Jones. He is a better player in every way than Jones right now, and he has far less experience at the position and has a much higher ceiling. I think he's going to be an excellent player. I have a feeling the coaches are seeing the same things and can see him improving and growing with every snap. IMO, he is going to be a better player than Jarvis Jones ever was the minute his foot hits the field for the first time. But he still needs to produce and the team needs to win games.

If he is terrible and the team loses some games, James Harrison should get more snaps while he continues to develop. If the team continues to win, I believe they stick with Watt and then decide later in the year if Watt will be the starter in the playoffs, or Harrison will be. I think that Watt will be fine and he will improve as the year goes on.

By the way, starting doesn't really mean anything. It's the amount of snaps a player gets that matters. If getting half the snaps keeps Harrison in shape and fresh, how is that a bad thing? They want Watt to succeed, but they also want Harrison to be in the best possible condition to help the team.

They're probably figuring out ways to have both of them on the field in certain situations.

Steeldude
09-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Exactly. I also might throw in work ethic, but I don't know Jones's work ethic so I can't say. I also think Watt has a tremendous upside compared to Jones.

Jones had zero work ethic. I can probably find the video of Jones saying of a reporter asking Jones if he needs to get stronger for the NFL would he hit the gym. Jones said he didn't know, maybe. That was the final nail in the coffin for me.

BlackAndGold
09-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Jones problem was the fact he was a poor athlete. An average first step, no bend, just a bull rush that NFL left tackles easily shut down. He has always been solid against the run so it's not a lack of effort.

Watt vs Jarvis in terms of SPARQ/measurables

Watt: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Jarvis: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jarvis-jones

Those two have nothing in common.

Mojouw
09-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Jones problem was the fact he was a poor athlete. An average first step, no bend, just a bull rush that NFL left tackles easily shut down. He has always been solid against the run so it's not a lack of effort.

Watt vs Jarvis in terms of SPARQ/measurables

Watt: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Jarvis: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jarvis-jones

Those two have nothing in common.
Why cant people get this through their heads? Watt is actually a ludicrous athlete. And he works hard.

No matter how much or how hard Jones worked, he was fundamentally not an NFL level athlete. Like at all. Ever. In any way.

Why is it so hard to recognize that Watt and Jones aren't even in the same conversation.

pczach
09-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Why cant people get this through their heads? Watt is actually a ludicrous athlete. And he works hard.

No matter how much or how hard Jones worked, he was fundamentally not an NFL level athlete. Like at all. Ever. In any way.

Why is it so hard to recognize that Watt and Jones aren't even in the same conversation.

The people that bought into Jarvis Jones in that draft were like lemmings. He was from a big program, he had a ton of sacks, and some experts rated him as the best OLB for a 3-4 in the draft.

If you looked at all his measurables and really watched his tape like I did, it's hard to imagine how so many people and so-called experts could study him and not see that he is not an elite athlete and was very pedestrian physically. I'm serious. I'm not a professional evaluator, but it was so obvious, I still can't believe it happened and that the Steelers bought into the hype.

Watt is bigger, faster, quicker, stronger, a better athlete in every way, plus he has a high football IQ and ridiculous instincts for a guy that hasn't played the position that long.

Mojouw
09-08-2017, 09:38 AM
The people that bought into Jarvis Jones in that draft were like lemmings. He was from a big program, he had a ton of sacks, and some experts rated him as the best OLB for a 3-4 in the draft.

If you looked at all his measurables and really watched his tape like I did, it's hard to imagine how so many people and so-called experts could study him and not see that he is not an elite athlete and was very pedestrian physically. I'm serious. I'm not a professional evaluator, but it was so obvious, I still can't believe it happened and that the Steelers bought into the hype.

Watt is bigger, faster, quicker, stronger, a better athlete in every way, plus he has a high football IQ and ridiculous instincts for a guy that hasn't played the position that long.

I think people got caught up in Jones' college #'s. But, if I remember correctly, a ton of those where because he was the designated "guy who makes the play" on that defense and a great % of those "Splash" plays were because of scheme. Jones got into the backfield and ball carrier unblocked a ton and after his teammates did most of the dirty work. Not surprisingly, that didn't work the same in the NFL.

I really don't think that Jarvis Jones' problem was work ethic, passion, football IQ, etc. After his rookie year (and I do think he came in with all the cockiness typically associated with #1 picks from big-time programs) I felt he put as much or more work into getting better as anyone else. He just didn't have the base-line physical tools. I challenge anyone to find a set of measurables like Jones had on ANYONE who was successful in the NFL (punters, kickers, and QBs dont count). The site is super searchable. From what I can tell, Jarvis was less explosively athletic than most O linemen!

Watt is almost certainly going to struggle as he adjusts to the NFL game. I think that some of those blocks he ran through or tosses aside on Saturdays are going to stick now. How he responds to that will be fascinating. But he has more raw athletic ability to work with than Jones.

Look at it this way. Here is Myles Garrett's chart - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/myles-garrett?position=EDGE -- He basically breaks it and reveals himself as Superman.
Here is TJ Watt's - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Oops! - TJ is also apparently a super-hero.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2017, 10:16 AM

I completely agree. Harrison is too old to be logging too many snaps in a complete season. Watt showed enough motor, hand use and ability to drop in coverage that he can get the starter reps and Deebo will get at least 30% of the snaps, plus some key 3rd downs. Also don't rule out Moats and Chickillo rotating in as well.

The only thing I really didn't see was Watt setting the edge well in the run game. IMO, he needs to get bigger and stronger for that, but he uses his quickness to get off the block and cause the RB to go inside. Also, the rookie wall is a real concern for a guy that has just come out of college as a junior, so we will see how it all plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Bucky Brooks was a big Jarvis Jones supporter and promoter. I looked at his tape and saw a lot of hustle, but no real pass rush moves and he reminded me of another former Steeler pick in Bruce Davis from UCLA.

I like Watt's motor, athleticism and his hand use in the pass rush from what I have seen on tape. I also think he is a bit thin in the lower body and needs to get on the squat rack. Another guy I really liked with pass rush hand skills was Charles Harris in the draft, but he looked like he doesn't have a motor that always runs high.

Born2Steel
09-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Charles Harris drew a lot of comparisons to Freeny. He used a bull rush to set up a pretty good spin move. I would not have been upset had we taken Harris.

DesertSteel
09-08-2017, 10:48 AM
I think people got caught up in Jones' college #'s. But, if I remember correctly, a ton of those where because he was the designated "guy who makes the play" on that defense and a great % of those "Splash" plays were because of scheme. Jones got into the backfield and ball carrier unblocked a ton and after his teammates did most of the dirty work. Not surprisingly, that didn't work the same in the NFL.

I really don't think that Jarvis Jones' problem was work ethic, passion, football IQ, etc. After his rookie year (and I do think he came in with all the cockiness typically associated with #1 picks from big-time programs) I felt he put as much or more work into getting better as anyone else. He just didn't have the base-line physical tools. I challenge anyone to find a set of measurables like Jones had on ANYONE who was successful in the NFL (punters, kickers, and QBs dont count). The site is super searchable. From what I can tell, Jarvis was less explosively athletic than most O linemen!

Watt is almost certainly going to struggle as he adjusts to the NFL game. I think that some of those blocks he ran through or tosses aside on Saturdays are going to stick now. How he responds to that will be fascinating. But he has more raw athletic ability to work with than Jones.

Look at it this way. Here is Myles Garrett's chart - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/myles-garrett?position=EDGE -- He basically breaks it and reveals himself as Superman.
Here is TJ Watt's - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Oops! - TJ is also apparently a super-hero.
Yeah I fell in love with that site the first time I saw it :)

I can't remember, is the percentile against others in the draft or against NFL players? I think the latter but can't recall.

Steeldude
09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Well I hope he turns out to be the real deal. Because as of now it looks like Dupree is going to miss the first game due to injury. The guy can't stay healthy. It will most likely be Moats/Chickillo filling in. I would rather see Chickillo get more snaps because I believe he has more ability and a higher revving motor than Moats.

Mojouw
09-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Okay. I gotta ask. What can anyone point to besides "motor" or "football spirit" to tell me why I should view Chickillo and Matakevich as more than J.A.Gs (Just A Guy).

I mean kick over a rock on an NFL roster and half the college teams in the country and you can find guys that have the raw physical tools that those two have.

I am by no means saying that they stink or anything, but I have not seen anything to get excited about with these two either.

DesertSteel
09-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Chick gets 3 sacks against Brownies...

Born2Steel
09-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Okay. I gotta ask. What can anyone point to besides "motor" or "football spirit" to tell me why I should view Chickillo and Matakevich as more than J.A.Gs (Just A Guy).

I mean kick over a rock on an NFL roster and half the college teams in the country and you can find guys that have the raw physical tools that those two have.

I am by no means saying that they stink or anything, but I have not seen anything to get excited about with these two either.

As for Matakevich, his college tape shows a tackling machine. He's currently starting his 2nd season after being a 7th round pick. He starts this season as the primary backup at ILB. I have seen him get bowled over, ran over, ran through, and around. I have also seen him make open field tackles because, somehow, he was at the right place, right time. I think he is one of those guys of adequate talent that all teams need to become a core guy. Probably not going to be a full time starter but a consistent backup. Same love, IMO, VW gets for being Timmons' backup. Solid football player.

As for Chickillo, he played more of the DE role if I remember his draft stuff right. This is his 3rd year, make or break year for most. He did move ahead of Moates last season, for what that's worth. Either he will make improvements again this season or likely on the trade/cut block next preseason. We need OLBs to be more than solid backups. OLBs need to pressure the QB and/or dominate in coverage.

Nothing to get overly excited about either of them yet. But they have shown those flashes that tell me there is a possibility of special down the road. And after JJ, Hood, and Worilds, I think we are getting better at scouting defensive talent.

teegre
09-08-2017, 02:00 PM
As for Chickillo, he played more of the DE role if I remember his draft stuff right.

Correct.

Comi g out of high school, Chickillo was a top recruit at OLB... but, at Miami, he got switched to 3-4 DE. :huh: It'd be like asking Tuitt or Heyward to lose 20 pounds and learn to play OLB: they would probably be good at it, but it'd take time.

Steeldude
09-08-2017, 02:16 PM

The same can be said for Watt. So far he looks like just a hustle guy with a head on his shoulders. Did Watt show anything more than Chickillo or Moats in pre-season? They all pretty much looked the same. It's not like Chickillo doesn't have the physical tools to succeed in the NFL.

I have seen what Moats can do. It's not much. There is more upside to Chickillo at this point. Desire, football spirit, motor is not an abundant quality in the college football or the NFL any longer. There are far too many showboats and me-me players. Chickillo and Matakevich both must have shown something to scouts/coaches since they were drafted over 90%+ of the other players in the NCAA.

Matakevich is still an unknown. He appears to be in the right place most of the time. If he was faster he would be starting. He had the best camp this year. Zach Thomas was undersized and wasn't very athletic either, but he did rather well. You never know. Desire, spirit and a motor can often overcome physical shortcomings, IMO.

The problem with the Steelers is the players aren't disciplined in their assignments. A point Harrison brought up more than once. Perhaps the Steelers need more disciplined players rather than splash players who disappear for multiple games.

Then again, maybe Chickillo and Matakevich will be out of the NFL in 2 or so years.

Mojouw
09-08-2017, 02:18 PM
As for Matakevich, his college tape shows a tackling machine. He's currently starting his 2nd season after being a 7th round pick. He starts this season as the primary backup at ILB. I have seen him get bowled over, ran over, ran through, and around. I have also seen him make open field tackles because, somehow, he was at the right place, right time. I think he is one of those guys of adequate talent that all teams need to become a core guy. Probably not going to be a full time starter but a consistent backup. Same love, IMO, VW gets for being Timmons' backup. Solid football player.

As for Chickillo, he played more of the DE role if I remember his draft stuff right. This is his 3rd year, make or break year for most. He did move ahead of Moates last season, for what that's worth. Either he will make improvements again this season or likely on the trade/cut block next preseason. We need OLBs to be more than solid backups. OLBs need to pressure the QB and/or dominate in coverage.

Nothing to get overly excited about either of them yet. But they have shown those flashes that tell me there is a possibility of special down the road. And after JJ, Hood, and Worilds, I think we are getting better at scouting defensive talent.

Fair enough. But this will be the 2nd or third camp in a row that Chick-filet has looked like the real deal against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I get that he needs time to transition, but wake me up when he does it against the first team guys. When he has gotten on the field in the regular season, his pass-rush plan seems to be run as hard as he can straight at the tackle. That's not a strategy. Seems okay in run game.

Matakevich, I think can be a decent back-up. But I do not understand the calls for him to start. And before someone mentions Zach Thomas, lets all remember the much longer list of smaller, marginally athletic linebackers that didn't work out.

Steeldude
09-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Chick gets 3 sacks against Brownies...

It would be great if Chickillo(or whoever starts vs the Browns) and Watt get 3 sacks a piece and a ton of pressure.

teegre
09-08-2017, 02:20 PM
A point Harrison brought up more than once.

Harrison called Shazier out for this after the Dallas game (the last TD by Zeke was Shazier's fault).

Afterwards, Shazier was much more disciplined... and the defense was much better.

I'm not saying restrict Shazier, but he needs to cover his assignments. Troy used to free lance, but Ryan Clark would "cover" for Troy (which tells you how truly great Ryan Clark was).

Mojouw
09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Watt is so much more of an athlete than Chickillo based on measurables.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/anthony-chickillo?position=ATH
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt?position=ATH

I fully realize that measurables do NOT equal success on the football field.

I just give up on this argument. Either one can see that Watt is a ridiculous athlete or one can't. I admit it that I missed it totally with his brother. I did not think he was much of an athlete while he was here at UW.

I am by no means saying that Watt is going to have any success in the NFL. There is a long and distinguished list of guys who can run like a gazelle and jump out of the stadium that stunk. There is just a long a list of guys who had no real measurables, but ripped it up.

I'm just saying that we have seen 3 years of Chickillo now and I can not remember a single moment against first string guys that I was like "wow - that dude can rush the passer at an NFL level".

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Charles Harris drew a lot of comparisons to Freeny. He used a bull rush to set up a pretty good spin move. I would not have been upset had we taken Harris.
Harris had at least 4 different pass rush moves when I looked at his video. A straight speed rush to the edge, a very nice spin move, a bull rush and an inside counter from the speed rush. He didn't look as stocky as Freeney to me, but longer legs and arms. I think it was the WVU game that he looked lazy and complacent, which was something I didn't like to see.

Watt's combine workout on the field drills he looked like a 220lb Inside LB. The way he changed direction laterally, or turned his hips to get into pass coverage. His tape he looks like a Tasmanian devil with his hands in the way he always keeps working with them to get the OT hands off him and keeps his feet moving upfield. Its nothing refined, but more of just a Rob Ninkovich hustle, but he's a good athlete.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2017, 02:42 PM
With Chickillo, the measureables posted were at 267 LBS, while he was dropping weight from approx. 280LBS as he played a 5-Technique at Miami. Even with that extra weight, his 10 yard split was one of the quickest in the combine from an OLB, which shows he has a great first step. The problem is he doesn't bend around the edge well and is a bit stiff. He uses his hands well, but more to bull rush than dip and rip around the edge in the pass game. In the run game, he plays it very well IMO.

Matakevich is a smart football player that sees things well and gets moving in the right direction quicker than average. That is good, because he doesn't have the quickness to get to players on the edges in the run game. IMO, he is a modern day Earl Holmes, who will hit you but needs to come out on passing downs and is a liability in man coverage vs a RB in the passing game. As smart as Earl Thomas or Eric Berry might be as a Safety, that is how smart Matakevich is at ILB, but he just isn't that quick.

Mojouw
09-08-2017, 04:16 PM
With Chickillo, the measureables posted were at 267 LBS, while he was dropping weight from approx. 280LBS as he played a 5-Technique at Miami. Even with that extra weight, his 10 yard split was one of the quickest in the combine from an OLB, which shows he has a great first step. The problem is he doesn't bend around the edge well and is a bit stiff. He uses his hands well, but more to bull rush than dip and rip around the edge in the pass game. In the run game, he plays it very well IMO.

Matakevich is a smart football player that sees things well and gets moving in the right direction quicker than average. That is good, because he doesn't have the quickness to get to players on the edges in the run game. IMO, he is a modern day Earl Holmes, who will hit you but needs to come out on passing downs and is a liability in man coverage vs a RB in the passing game. As smart as Earl Thomas or Eric Berry might be as a Safety, that is how smart Matakevich is at ILB, but he just isn't that quick.

I agree with all that and your breakdowns of players are clearly more detailed and of higher quality than mine!

My only real point is that unless each player has another level to their game, they are just back-ups.

Chickillo is good in the run game and adequate in coverages, but as a pass rusher he simply runs into the blocker as hard as he can and tries to walk him into the QB. Really? Going into your third year in the NFL that's the only plan you can come up with?

Matakevich has an almost unchartable football IQ and diagnoses plays faster than anyone on the team. Still, I just don't see him making plays behind the line of scrimmage. To me, if your going to be a two down linebacker, you better be able to make a few plays a game for a loss. Have yet to see that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2017, 05:25 PM
I agree with all that and your breakdowns of players are clearly more detailed and of higher quality than mine!

My only real point is that unless each player has another level to their game, they are just back-ups.

Chickillo is good in the run game and adequate in coverages, but as a pass rusher he simply runs into the blocker as hard as he can and tries to walk him into the QB. Really? Going into your third year in the NFL that's the only plan you can come up with?

Matakevich has an almost unchartable football IQ and diagnoses plays faster than anyone on the team. Still, I just don't see him making plays behind the line of scrimmage. To me, if your going to be a two down linebacker, you better be able to make a few plays a game for a loss. Have yet to see that.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. Chickillo was defensive all star of the shrine game 2 years ago and showed quickness, good hand skills and I had hoped he would be better than this by now. Then again, Mike Vrabel took a few years with the Steelers until he was released. Right now, Chickillo is a backup on the left side and hasn't shown starter ability.

Matakevich, I really doubted he would make a roster as anything other than a special teamer and that is what he really is right now....a special teamer and backup 2 down ILB. If Matakevich's deficiency is his speed and quickness, then how do you really expect him to make any TFL's? The guys that put up those stats are the guys that project as WILL LB's, not slow Mike LB's.

Every team needs backups. Cant have 53 starters on the roster.

teegre
09-08-2017, 10:52 PM
I Googled "sports doppelgänger" and a few interesting matches came up:

Mike Tomlin, Omar Epps
Robert Horry, Will Smith
RGIII, Andre 3000
Joe Flacco, Bert
TJ Watt, Jarvis Jones

Shoes
09-10-2017, 03:31 PM
It would be great if Chickillo(or whoever starts vs the Browns) and Watt get 3 sacks a piece and a ton of pressure.

I think they did pretty good. Watt was held multiple times by the great Joe Thomas and not flagged for it. Red got a nice block on the punt.

Born2Steel
09-10-2017, 03:34 PM

This post jumped into my head this game. What could be a more perfect answer than a Matakevich punt block recovered in the end zone by Chickillo? Just something to be said for traditional football players with high football IQ.

Next week we need to know why Conner and JuJu get so much love from fans.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 03:35 PM
This post jumped into my head this game. What could be a more perfect answer than a Matakevich punt block recovered in the end zone by Chickillo? Just something to be said for traditional football players with high football IQ.

Next week we need to know why Conner and JuJu get so much love from fans.

Yea, like I said in the game thread -- totally happy to eat crow with those two.

Although Matakevich got bulldozed at the goal line by Kizer!

Born2Steel
09-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Yea, like I said in the game thread -- totally happy to eat crow with those two.

That seems to be his goal line goto play. Grab the ball carrier and fall BACKWARDS.

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2017, 03:44 PM
That seems to be his goal line goto play. Grab the ball carrier and fall BACKWARDS.

You do realize that Kizer is 6'4" 233 lbs right? Dirty Red came flying in but bounced off.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Bulldozed is really stretching it. Red got a good hit on him but kizer rolled toward the GL. I'll try and get a gif of it.

Born2Steel
09-10-2017, 03:47 PM
You do realize that Kizer is 6'4" 233 lbs right? Dirty Red came flying in but bounced off.

I do. But what I refer to is he was ran over like that more than once during the preseason as well. More ribbing on him than criticizing his play.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
[/B]
Bulldozed is really stretching it. Red got a good hit on him but kizer rolled toward the GL. I'll try and get a gif of it.

Red didn't have a squared up shot at Kizer imo. He over shot him as Kizer tried to tuck in behind #73, but Red still knocked him on his ass. # 40 looks like he bulldozed Red, but Red was already about down

At about 50 seconds

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/HIGHLIGHTS-Steelers-at-Browns-Week-1/01a60ff9-505c-405a-9d45-5a7b094abc9a

Steelermania
09-10-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't know if anyone can question TJ's athleticism after seeing that pick. He looked like Gronk snatching that ball out of the air. I can see how he was a tight end first.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Red didn't have a squared up shot at Kizer imo. He over shot him as Kizer tried to tuck in behind #73, but Red still knocked him on his ass. # 40 looks like he bulldozed Red, but Red was already about down

At about 50 seconds

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/HIGHLIGHTS-Steelers-at-Browns-Week-1/01a60ff9-505c-405a-9d45-5a7b094abc9a

Fair enough. It was still a QB (a big strong QB) running through/around the tackle of an ILB. I want to stress that I am not anti-Matakevich. I like the way he plays. And I like what he brings to the table as a back-up. I just do not see "starting NFL LB" when I watch him play.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, and if he continues to find his way onto the field and make-plays, I will be the first in line to happily eat my words.

pczach
09-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Fair enough. It was still a QB (a big strong QB) running through/around the tackle of an ILB. I want to stress that I am not anti-Matakevich. I like the way he plays. And I like what he brings to the table as a back-up. I just do not see "starting NFL LB" when I watch him play.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, and if he continues to find his way onto the field and make-plays, I will be the first in line to happily eat my words.

I think the scarier thing that nobody is talking about is that Vince Williams didn't appear to do a whole lot today, and he just didn't seem to get to the spot for the entire game. I can't think of a single play off the top of my head where Williams flashed at all.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 06:21 PM
I think the scarier thing that nobody is talking about is that Vince Williams didn't appear to do a whole lot today, and he just didn't seem to get to the spot for the entire game. I can't think of a single play off the top of my head where Williams flashed at all.

Yup. And then what the hell happened with Hilton and Gay? Hilton got the start and then got benched for Gay. Sean Davis and Mitchell were MIA in terms of making a play. I think their two-deep coverage along with Burns and Haden shut down the outside threats for the Browns. But once again, TEs and Backs killed 'em. I saw Williams appear to get roasted in coverage at least once. Gay maybe once as well.

Part of the problem may be there are just too many new cogs in the machine for everything to mesh. Overall it was an encouraging performance on defense, but did show that there is some building left to do on that side of the ball.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Yup. And then what the hell happened with Hilton and Gay? Hilton got the start and then got benched for Gay. Sean Davis and Mitchell were MIA in terms of making a play. I think their two-deep coverage along with Burns and Haden shut down the outside threats for the Browns. But once again, TEs and Backs killed 'em. I saw Williams appear to get roasted in coverage at least once. Gay maybe once as well.

Part of the problem may be there are just too many new cogs in the machine for everything to mesh. Overall it was an encouraging performance on defense, but did show that there is some building left to do on that side of the ball.

I didn't even know Mitchell played! :lol:

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 06:29 PM
I didn't even know Mitchell played! :lol:

I know, right? I guess that might be a good thing in your deep safety? Means he didn't do anything dumb...like bite on a flea-flicker...:grin:

Shoes
09-10-2017, 06:33 PM

I'll give him some rope, he works hard and has improved a lot from last year. I see no reason why he won't continue to get better, he'll find way to make up for his *handicaps*

- - - Updated - - -

I know, right? I guess that might be a good thing in your deep safety? Means he didn't do anything dumb...like bite on a flea-flicker...:grin:

:lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2017, 10:17 PM
I think they did pretty good. Watt was held multiple times by the great Joe Thomas and not flagged for it. Red got a nice block on the punt.

Agreed, Chickillo gets 6 Tackles and 2 Sacks, while TJ had 7 tackles, 2 sacks and an INT. Not bad indeed as a pair of young starters.

Hawkman
09-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Did Deebo play at all today?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2017, 10:27 PM

A few plays. He walked Thomas right back into the QB in one play.....dude works out a bit I gather.

Mojouw
09-10-2017, 10:28 PM
A few plays. He walked Thomas right back into the QB in one play.....dude works out a bit I gather.

Yeah. That was just amazing. He comes in ice cold off the bench and just walks Thomas into Kizer's lap like it wasn't even a big deal.

Shoes
09-10-2017, 10:31 PM

I saw that, I thought for a second he was going to push Thomas right into kizer.

teegre
09-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Let TJ run & run until he's gassed... and unleash a fresh Deebo.

I like it. :nod:

43Hitman
09-11-2017, 05:01 PM

I like it. :nod:Me too. That could be a deadly rotation.

polamalubeast
09-11-2017, 05:26 PM

4 snaps per Steelers Depot.

Craic
09-11-2017, 06:16 PM

I like it. :nod:

It'll be pretty funny watching teams hoping TJ Watt doesn't hit the rookie wall. :chuckle:

43Hitman
09-11-2017, 06:28 PM
It'll be pretty funny watching teams hoping TJ Watt doesn't hit the rookie wall. :chuckle:
:lol: Please don't send in the Deebo..lol