PDA

View Full Version : Newest Steelers players J.J. Wilcox, Joe Haden, Vance McDonald getting settled in

polamalubeast
09-04-2017, 06:13 PM
They combine for 18 seasons of NFL experience, 149 starts and about $18 million in earnings for this year. All three practiced as Steelers for the first time Monday, and each already was taking reps with the starters.

Cornerback Joe Haden, safety J.J. Wilcox and tight end Vance McDonald were acquired by the Steelers separately over the past six days, but none had gone through a practice with their new teammates. Monday was their first of four chances to do so to get up to speed before Sunday's season opener at Cleveland.

“Just really more or less just trying to get a feel for everything,” said McDonald, who was acquired from San Francisco in an Aug. 29 trade. “Right now, I know our coaches are really concerned with seeing where guys can fit in and trying to identify roles, especially for me, since I haven't been here.”

McDonald was coy but confirmed that he had some first-team reps, sharing them with incumbent No. 1 tight end Jesse James. Wilcox confirmed he was rotated in at free and strong safety with the first defense alongside Robert Golden and Sean Davis (starting free safety Mike Mitchell was a limited participant), and teammates Mike Hilton and Brian Allen confirmed Haden was with the first team opposite Artie Burns at outside cornerback.

A two-time Pro Bowler, Haden arguably was the headliner among the veteran newcomers. He was signed Wednesday hours after the Cleveland Browns announced they cut him after seven seasons with the team.

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12687481-74/newest-steelers-players-jj-wilcox-joe-haden-vance-mcdonald-getting-settled-in