PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Of Colin Holba A Disappointment, Not A Disaster

polamalubeast
09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
You probably knew this was coming at some point, but now it’s that time: the obligatory defense of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ decision to draft a long snapper, even after said draft pick was beaten by a first-year long snapper.

Okay, look, it’s not like Jared Retkofsky is still just waiting in the wings. If you remember that name, good on you. He is the player that the Steelers signed to long snap for him after their veteran long snapper, Greg Warren, suffered knee injuries in both 2008 and 2009.

Originally undrafted out of Texas Christian in 2007, the furniture mover was in camp for the Steelers that year, and also spent time with the Seahawks, so they already had him on speed dial. Retkofsky, by the way, was 6’5”, 260 pounds.

Outside of those two stints, the long snapper position was one that the team didn’t have to think about for over a decade from 2005 to 2016. But it was because of those two stints, likely, that his career is now over, as those knee injuries have caught up with him, and he can’t risk continuing to play without potentially doing himself long-term harm.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/drafting-colin-holba-disappointment-not-disaster/

tube517
09-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Fire Colbert!! :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
09-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Agreed. :wink02:

With the thread title....not with "fire Colbert."

Steeldude
09-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Hopefully this will end future LS draft picks. If you don't know for certain a LS snapper will succeed then don't waste a draft pick on him.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2017, 07:37 PM
it could have been worse ... we could have drafted a failed kicker in the 2nd round

steelreserve
09-04-2017, 07:53 PM
it could have been worse ... we could have drafted a failed kicker in the 2nd round

Or a DB who never even got on the field ...

DesertSteel
09-04-2017, 08:23 PM
What gets me is that most people on here thought that our 5th, Brian Allen, wasn't going to make the team, and seemed OK with that, but were bent out of shape about a 6th not making it. Personally, I thought Allen would make it and think he'll see the field this year.

Steeldude
09-04-2017, 09:25 PM
What gets me is that most people on here thought that our 5th, Brian Allen, wasn't going to make the team, and seemed OK with that, but were bent out of shape about a 6th not making it. Personally, I thought Allen would make it and think he'll see the field this year.

Huge difference between a LS and a CB.

I was fine with the pick if hey actually thought he was the answer. Next time they should stick to free agency for a LS.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Ike Taylor seemed to think this too early on , not sure where he stands now on the topic though ...

he could make things pretty interesting if the light bulb comes on , would be a nice problem to have Allen getting it and Sutton possibly getting healthy for second half of the season

pczach
09-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Ike Taylor seemed to think this too early on , not sure where he stands now on the topic though ...

he could make things pretty interesting if the light bulb comes on , would be a nice problem to have Allen getting it and Sutton possibly getting healthy for second half of the season

This is what everyone is hoping for.

Sutton gets healthy and returns mid-season, and Allen continues to develop to become a reliable cover man that they can use outside and are also able to use to match up with elite tight ends with his size.

It's going to be interesting to see these kids develop.

DesertSteel
09-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Huge difference between a LS and a CB.

You miss the point. So if the 6th was a CB it'd be cool to cut him, but not a LS? There's no logic in that view.

st33lersguy
09-05-2017, 10:12 PM
It was a mistake. You can find a quality LS in free agency.

polamalubeast
09-06-2017, 10:17 AM
our new long snapper!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GCTF79HJk