PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing the O-line

Steeldude
09-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Pittsburgh’s offensive line was already considered the team’s weak link. And that was before Willie Colon or Max Starks were sitting on the sideline.

So how did the Steelers’ offensive line fare against the Falcons? Better than you may think......

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/09/analyzing-offensive-line-nfl-maurkice-pouncey/

HometownGal
09-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the breakdown dude. :drink: Overall, they didn't fare that badly and did make some key plays. That being said, however, other than Pouncey, I think they are still a work in progress but with each passing game, they'll improve as a unit.

Looks like Flo is starting to gel with his new linemates and his play is beginning to improve. :drink:

Butch
09-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Yes it does look like Flozel had a decent game only one false start if I remember right. If he keeps it up I will gladly eat some crow and the line in general looked pretty good.

On a side note Mike Taylor down here in San Antonio wants the cowboys to bring him back, I think he keeps forgetting that he's a Steeler now.

HometownGal
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Yes it does look like Flozel had a decent game only one false start if I remember right. If he keeps it up I will gladly eat some crow and the line in general looked pretty good.

On a side note Mike Taylor down here in San Antonio wants the cowboys to bring him back, I think he keeps forgetting that he's a Steeler now.

Well the Cryboys are just going to have to wait until next season when Colon is back. :chuckle: Flo is just a rental player and we'll really have no need for him next year.

SteelerSal
09-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Holy crap...that guy really did his homework.

Shoes
09-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Good read SD!

Texasteel
09-16-2010, 07:50 AM

The guy the cowboys have on the right side now shouldn't even be in the league. He fits into that team very nicely.

Steeldude
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
just so everyone is aware; this person, jj cooper, has been doing these write-ups for a few seasons now. keep in mind it's one man's opinion.

i like the analysis. i have no time to record games or view them again. years ago i could, but not enough time on my hands now. this helps out tremendously.

steelpride12
09-16-2010, 09:22 AM
It took till mid way through the third to give up a sack and that alone is a hell of a big stat for us. Pouncey improves our pass game in so many dimensions and already seeing him in the second level is awesome news! The OL didn't play too bad which is an upgrade we needed!

oneforthetoe
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Well the Cryboys are just going to have to wait until next season when Colon is back. :chuckle: Flo is just a rental player and we'll really have no need for him next year.

Colon will be a free agent next year? (or whatever year we get around to playing football again). It is possible the Steelers might keep Flo around for another season if they think we have an heir apparent at RT- among the young guns. Either way, after more than a little initial trepidation, I am actually happy we signed FLO to the team. I'll trade a penalty a game if he can "bring da house down" on running plays.

On the line as a whole, we still have issues. However, this is the first O'line we have had in a while that seems to be able to get a good push on the others teams D'line. We will see how it works against better D'lines than the Falcons.

steeldevil
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I dont really know too much about line play and how to grade it, but I think they played well in game 1. Those back to back sacks in the 4th sucked though. That cant happen...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Colon will be a free agent next year? (or whatever year we get around to playing football again). It is possible the Steelers might keep Flo around for another season if they think we have an heir apparent at RT- among the young guns. Either way, after more than a little initial trepidation, I am actually happy we signed FLO to the team. I'll trade a penalty a game if he can "bring da house down" on running plays.

On the line as a whole, we still have issues. However, this is the first O'line we have had in a while that seems to be able to get a good push on the others teams D'line. We will see how it works against better D'lines than the Falcons.

Yeah, Colon coming off an injury and in his contract year is a big gamble. If he recovers, then he is worth something, but if not, then you dont want to spend too much on him. My guess is that Adams stays another season and Chris Scott is looked to play RT, or somebody is drafted this offseason.

This is the part that NFL players dont like about contracts. Colon could not get a long term deal done because all the team had to do was put a 1 year tender on him.........and now because of injury his career could be limited or over. Players cant renegotiate an undervalued contract (like Anquan Boldin), but Owners can cut a guy if he plays poor or gets injured.

GBMelBlount
09-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah, Colon coming off an injury and in his contract year is a big gamble. If he recovers, then he is worth something, but if not, then you dont want to spend too much on him. My guess is that Adams stays another season and Chris Scott is looked to play RT, or somebody is drafted this offseason.

With Colon's future "uncertain" I would imagine we could keep him at a reasonable price....regardless....I really hope we look O-line again very early in the upcoming draft...

ALLD
09-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Bring back Marvel Smith.

Craic
09-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Bring back Marvel Smith.

Why? He was horrible the last year or two he was with us... and that was when he was healthy. He couldn't even stay on with SF at a decent enough level-and ended up retiring. Why in the WORLD would you want that back? He was great during his good years.. but those are LONG LONG behind him.