09-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Cates to Cleveland for a 6th.

Color me shocked.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10285/sammie-coates

BurghBoy412
09-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Color me shocked.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10285/sammie-coatesDoes this mean Hunter made the team?

polamalubeast
09-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Martavis is a Genius...

Method28
09-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Damn, hate to see us give the Browns someone thats actually shown some skill....but what else could we do. At least they got something out of hin

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

stillers4me
09-02-2017, 11:43 AM
We got our Justin Gilbert 6th round pick back and gave up Coates and a 7th round pick in 2019.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
09-02-2017, 11:44 AM

Color me shocked.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10285/sammie-coates

When Ju Ju was drafted and they brought Hunter in it was insurance for Bryant that then put Coates in jeopardy

IMO the coaches did not like how Coates handled adversity after he was injured in the 2016 Jets game- Ben was loud and clear what he thought about the young receivers after the AFC championship loss

st33lersguy
09-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I like it. Completely undid giving up a 6th for Justin f-ing Gilbert. Likely even end up trading in the 6th round

Edman
09-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Good move.

Coates is very soft, and has no hands. If he isn't absolutely wide open, he's not going to catch the ball. DB's also easily force him to the sideline. He also did not fight for the ball.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 11:51 AM
I can't get what Coates did to open the season out if my head. If he's that guy, the Browns just robbed the Steelers blind.

But all signs point to him not being that. If Hunter makes the roster, also pissed. The whole NFL knows Hunter isn't that guy. Why would he change now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
09-02-2017, 11:54 AM
I doubt Coates will do anything in Cleveland anyway

Shoes
09-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Great news, we even got a pick for him!

smokin3000gt
09-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Damn, hate to see us give the Browns someone thats actually shown some skill....but what else could we do. At least they got something out of hin

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

don't worry, they'll suck whatever skill and life he has left right out of him like they do everyone else

SteelerFanInStl
09-02-2017, 12:08 PM
It sounds to me like he was getting cut and they were just looking to get something for him. I liked when we drafted him and liked his potential but he never showed the toughness and attitude that I expected out of him. I also expected his hands to improve but they got worse.

DesertSteel
09-02-2017, 12:13 PM
I can't get what Coates did to open the season out if my head. If he's that guy, the Browns just robbed the Steelers blind.

But all signs point to him not being that. If Hunter makes the roster, also pissed. The whole NFL knows Hunter isn't that guy. Why would he change now?

I'm torn too........ but that guy from the first 5 games will probably never be seen again. At least not in Cleveland where there's no QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 12:16 PM

Coates is a slot machine. He either pays off once and a while or keeps taking your money often for no payout.

The knocks on him before the draft was inconsistent hands and doesn't track the deep ball well. You could see in his NFL combine workout that he wasn't a natural catcher of the football and "fought the catch" often. If he improved his hands, then he had a real chance to be a productive WR, but I just don't think that is going to happen consistently. What we saw those first few games is the potential that could be if he works on his hands and stays healthy, but I think JuJu and Hunter are better insurance for Bryant if he starts smoking the hippie lettuce again. Good move to get a pick for somebody that you were going to release.

DesertSteel
09-02-2017, 12:17 PM
So it was Coates AND a 7 in 2019 for a 6 in 2018.......

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Better to let the Browns have him for a 6th, than to cut him out right and let Flacco throw moon balls to him against us.

ALLD
09-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Wasn't he originally a 2nd round pick? We lost overall on the deal.

SteelerFanInStl
09-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Wasn't he originally a 2nd round pick? We lost overall on the deal.

3rd round pick.

JayC
09-02-2017, 12:54 PM
good riddance. hated that guy.

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Smh.

tube517
09-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Ok now who returns kicks? Knile, Frenchy, Coates gone.

polamalubeast
09-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Ok now who returns kicks? Knile, Frenchy, Coates gone.

Take a Knee!..This is the only thing that I will ask to the news KR...

tube517
Take a Knee!..This is the only thing that I will ask to the news KR...

:lol: Very true

Mojouw
That trade just sucks more the details emerge. Gave the Browns a borderline NFL wideout and a future 7th to get the Steelers own 6th rounder back?

Hopefully thats a low 6 - basically a high 7. Could've waited until draft day to pick up a 6th round pick for a future 7. No need to throw the player on top of it.

Not an argument for keepin Coates, but that return is barely anything. Ill trust the front office on this one, but it just doesn't look that good on paper.

DesertSteel
09-02-2017, 01:12 PM
That trade just sucks more the details emerge. Gave the Browns a borderline NFL wideout and a future 7th to get the Steelers own 6th rounder back?

Hopefully thats a low 6 - basically a high 7. Could've waited until draft day to pick up a 6th round pick for a future 7. No need to throw the player on top of it.

Not an argument for keepin Coates, but that return is barely anything. Ill trust the front office on this one, but it just doesn't look that good on paper.
He was obviously going to be a cut.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Sure. But what I don't get is that Coates, Hunter, and DHB are basically the same guy.

DHB has "veterans" I guess and Ive made that argument myself. Hunter just seems to not get any better ever. Coates was only a handful of games into his NFL career. He could still get better.

I guess I wish they could've pulled this same move off for Hunter instead of Coates. But what do I know?

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Unless Coates hands are damaged goods, this was a bad trade.

AtlantaDan
09-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Sure. But what I don't get is that Coates, Hunter, and DHB are basically the same guy.

DHB has "veterans" I guess and Ive made that argument myself. Hunter just seems to not get any better ever. Coates was only a handful of games into his NFL career. He could still get better.

To use some Tomlinisms, when Coates was handed the starter's job after Bryant was suspended the moment was too big for him and he blinked

Then he had the bad luck to get hurt when camp opened

The offseason moves showed the Steelers had little faith that Coates could ever be dependable and as this week's moves have shown are not in the mood to wait for improvement at any position

st33lersguy
09-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Coates was just an athlete who flashed in the pan for 5 games. He wasn't any good, and certainly Cleveland isn't going to get much of anything out of him

SteelerFanInStl
09-02-2017, 01:33 PM

I guess I wish they could've pulled this same move off for Hunter instead of Coates. But what do I know?

Hunter showed way more in TC and preseason than Coates did. He actually made plays. Coates is soft with bad hands and poor ball tracking. Hunter has never been on a team with a good QB. He also seems to get that this is probably his last chance in the NFL.

st33lersguy
09-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Would have been better not to give up the 7th round pick, but at least they net something for a player who hasn't shown much of anything in the NFL

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 01:40 PM

:clap2: Thank you for summarizing this transaction to those that think it was a bad deal.

If they cut him, they get nothing and that was going to happen. So this way, they swap a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick and Cleveland takes his $615,000 salary for this season. Movin' on to Justin Hunter....movin on.

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Tomlin said it in an interview. There are no 3rd string positions. The farther you get from starting, the more you need to offer on ST. AB and Rogers look to be our PR and KR for now. I thought Coates would stick for one more season. I also thought Davis would be Colbert and Haley's pet project this season. Wrong on both. Do we keep Trey Williams for PR and Terrell Watson for KR? Not sure the direction so far. Been a fun ride today.

86WARD
09-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Coates was good for 5 games and then terrible the rest of the season, off season and training camp. Someone called it in here that they may be able to trade him to a division rival. Better to get rid of him and his salary than cut him and get nothing. Hunter has at least shown life and DHB can play special teams.

teegre
09-02-2017, 02:11 PM
The draft rule of thumb is a year later diminishes a pick by a full round. So, the R7 pick a year later is equivalent to a R8 pick (URFA).

Regardless, even if the rounds stayed the same, the Steelers moved to the top of R6, from the bottom of R7. Add in a few compensatory picks, and the Steelers traded Coates in order to move up 60 spots in the draft (for a guy who was going to get cut anyway). Not too shabby.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 03:16 PM
It may work out, but don't forget that Hunter has never had even a 5 game stretch as good as Coates pre injury in his entire career.

The draft picks are a push for me.

Hope Hunter surprises me. He is an excellent candidate for a Richard Mann rehabilitation.

86WARD
09-02-2017, 03:18 PM
I'd take the potential of Hunter on the Steelers than the disaster that was Coates on the Steelers.

Steeldude
09-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Great news. It's even better that it is in our division. One less WR to cover.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 03:48 PM
I'd take the potential of Hunter on the Steelers than the disaster that was Coates on the Steelers.

I really hope I am wrong. But they are the SAME guy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoatSa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuntJu00.htm

And Hunter was cut by 2 teams that are rolling with hot garbage at WR instead. I guess Tennessee is at least trying draft picks, but still.

I was really excited about the Hunter move in the off-season. Then even more so early in camp. And then the pads came on and Hunter does what Justin Hunter does. Drops ball, plays soft, and basically disappears for massive stretches.

I mean the bottom line is that I'm wringing my hands over the last WR on the roster - so pretty much the opposite of a big deal.

In both the moves the Steelers made today, I see more "potential"/"upside" in the guy they traded than the player they kept instead. But, they are also professional evaluators of football players and I am so dude on my computer. Wanna guess who is most likely right?

86WARD
09-02-2017, 03:53 PM
I really hope I am wrong. But they are the SAME guy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoatSa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuntJu00.htm

And Hunter was cut by 2 teams that are rolling with hot garbage at WR instead. I guess Tennessee is at least trying draft picks, but still.

I was really excited about the Hunter move in the off-season. Then even more so early in camp. And then the pads came on and Hunter does what Justin Hunter does. Drops ball, plays soft, and basically disappears for massive stretches.

I mean the bottom line is that I'm wringing my hands over the last WR on the roster - so pretty much the opposite of a big deal.

In both the moves the Steelers made today, I see more "potential"/"upside" in the guy they traded than the player they kept instead. But, they are also professional evaluators of football players and I am so dude on my computer. Wanna guess who is most likely right?

I won't argue with you. My feeling is very similar although I guess I'd rather see what The potential of Hunter may be versus what we know Coates is. Hunter has a "real" team around him now...Coates had a real team and they were the same player. Hunter on the Bills/Titans equaling Coates on the Steelers should theoretically mean that Hunter on the Steelers would be better than Coates on the Steelers. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...lol.

RunNGun
09-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Not to pat my own back, but I called the Coates trade to a division team in another thread. Also, called the Cockrell trade in the same post. Does that make me an insider?

86WARD
09-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Not to pat my own back, but I called the Coates trade to a division team in another thread. Also, called the Cockrell trade in the same post. Does that make me an insider?

Good work by you. Was trying to give you props but couldn't remember where or who said it.

JayC
09-02-2017, 08:23 PM
if you are a WR and join the Steelers, please don't choose number 14.

teegre
09-02-2017, 09:30 PM
if you are a WR and join the Steelers, please don't choose number 14.

QBs neither.

RunNGun
09-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Good work by you. Was trying to give you props but couldn't remember where or who said it.

Appreciate it brother!

ALLD
09-03-2017, 07:59 AM
At least Coates has a chance to get on the field in Cleveland and show how many drive killing passes he can drop. The Steelers did him a favor by offering some opportunity for redemption.

Born2Steel
09-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Coates was indeed a younger version of DHB. Well on his way to being a good ST player. That's not what we need right now. Hunter is not, has not ever been, a ST player. If he doesn't show up this season, this is a bad trade. In that Hunter should have been the one traded. DHB holds no value in trade, or as a WR really. IMO, Coates had the bigger upside of the 3. We will see who we get for him in the draft.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Steelers are going to regret this trade when Coates torches Haden for 180 yards and 2 td's next week.

st33lersguy
09-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Basically they traded Coates for JJ Wilcox, they used the 6th round pick to acquire him and then recouped the 7th round pick. In light of that, getting rid of Coates looks even better

AtlantaDan
09-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Basically they traded Coates for JJ Wilcox, they used the 6th round pick to acquire him and then recouped the 7th round pick. In light of that, getting rid of Coates looks even better

Until Coates beats Wilcox over the top next Sunday :chuckle:

86WARD
09-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Lol...ouch

AtlantaDan
09-04-2017, 07:08 AM
FWIW Peter King thinks the Browns did well with the Coates acquisition

I like Sammie Coates in Cleveland—a big, imposing receiver who got trumped by Martavis Bryant’s return....

One contributing player was acquired Saturday, when the Browns got the better end of a deal, trading a sixth-round 2018 pick to Pittsburgh for a 2015 third-round receiver from Auburn, Sammie Coates, plus Pittsburgh’s seventh-round pick in 2019.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/04/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-pick-stats-mmqb

As has been discussed, it is not as if the Steelers traded someone that had locked up a roster spot

Mojouw
09-04-2017, 09:40 AM
FWIW Peter King thinks the Browns did well with the Coates acquisition

I like Sammie Coates in Cleveland—a big, imposing receiver who got trumped by Martavis Bryant’s return....

One contributing player was acquired Saturday, when the Browns got the better end of a deal, trading a sixth-round 2018 pick to Pittsburgh for a 2015 third-round receiver from Auburn, Sammie Coates, plus Pittsburgh’s seventh-round pick in 2019.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/04/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-pick-stats-mmqb

As has been discussed, it is not as if the Steelers traded someone that had locked up a roster spot

Straight trade, yeah the Browns got the better part of the deal. A viable NFL player with potential is far more of a sure thing than a low round pick.

Im starting to think that the Wilcox trade or something like it was already in the works. If you look at the entire series of trades, Coates become Wilcox. That is far less of a clear win.

polamalubeast
09-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Mojouw
09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
I think we all need to admit there is a possibility that Coates grows into a Demaryius Thomas type WR.

Now do I think that will happen, not really -- but the physical tools are all there.

Justin Hunter better have one whale of a season is all I'm saying.

polamalubeast
09-04-2017, 01:55 PM
I think we all need to admit there is a possibility that Coates grows into a Demaryius Thomas type WR.

Now do I think that will happen, not really -- but the physical tools are all there.

Thomas?....NO...Coates will never have 90-100 catch in a season...His celling is maybe Mike Wallace in 2010 and 2011.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2017, 02:02 PM

No chance in Hell of that happening. Not really sure why you think Coates has those kind of tools. He's big and fast but plays soft with stone hands.

FrancoLambert
09-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Now all he has to do is get his hands "a thousand times stronger." But hopefully, not soon.

He had that great start last year, then all the problems that snowballed.

I still would have kept him over DHB. But DHB having no trade value at all kind of sealed the deal on how things worked out.

Mojouw
09-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Thomas had terrible hands and struggled with drops early in his career and was used as a long ball threat. Then in his third year he broke out:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomDe03.htm

I'm not arguing that Coates will do that, but I'm saying he could. That is why he had actual trade value - unlike Hunter or DHB.

I'm not trying to bash the move or tout a Coates "breakout". I'm just saying that Coates is more than the total junk that some across Steelers internet forums want to cast him as.

If he ever learns how to adjust to the ball in flight and play through the defender to the ball rather than around the DB -- Coates will start posting better #'s.

Again, likely won't happen. But the possibility is still there...

polamalubeast
09-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Thomas had terrible hands and struggled with drops early in his career and was used as a long ball threat. Then in his third year he broke out:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomDe03.htm

I'm not arguing that Coates will do that, but I'm saying he could. That is why he had actual trade value - unlike Hunter or DHB.

I'm not trying to bash the move or tout a Coates "breakout". I'm just saying that Coates is more than the total junk that some across Steelers internet forums want to cast him as.

If he ever learns how to adjust to the ball in flight and play through the defender to the ball rather than around the DB -- Coates will start posting better #'s.

Again, likely won't happen. But the possibility is still there...

Thomas was a rookie in 2010 and he had Tim Tebow in 2011....Thomas also destroyed the steelers in the WC game that year

st33lersguy
09-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Thomas also benefited from having Peyton Manning entering his 3rd year which surely helped. Coates will be going from playing with Ben to being stuck in Cleveland. Coates is a lot like Mike Wallace without the year and a half of production

86WARD
09-05-2017, 05:36 AM
I didn't love the trade at first but after a little time and the Wilcox trade, I like it a little better. I did like the fact that they got something for someone who was a potential roster casualty.

I look forward to seeing how Coates does now that he's "mentally stronger" and "healthy". I wish his production would've showed signs of those first games of 2016 but he fell so far down, there wasn't a glimmer of a sign. I think he will definitely do better than Hunter at WR and no doubt better than DHB at the position. He's got a leg up just based on opportunity.

Same with Markus Wheaton...look forward to seeing how he does with the Bears.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Steeler message boards will always project somebody to be total junk and vilify any player that makes a mistake. Some of the notable exceptions are; if they are from Pitt, WVU or other local ties, are an undersized late round pick or UDFA(the underdog rule), if they make at least 1 great play in the preseason (the training camp hero rule).

Look to recent total junk players like Willie Colon who was beat on from day 1 as a Steeler, but still had a productive 10 year career

AtlantaDan
09-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Ed B. of the P-G apparently not a big Coates fan based on this summation in his chat today

Coates? Always hurt, always seemed confused

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/05/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-9-5-17/stories/201709050093

If "confused" is code for could not learn the playbook and learn how to run routes (Ben seemed exasperated on several occasions with Coates about that) might explain why the Steelers said goodbye

SteelerFanInStl
09-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Ed B. of the P-G apparently not a big Coates fan based on this summation in his chat today

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/05/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-9-5-17/stories/201709050093

If "confused" is code for could not learn the playbook and learn how to run routes (Ben seemed exasperated on several occasions with Coates about that) might explain why the Steelers said goodbye

Emilio: Why is Senquez Goldon not in the Steelers practice squad?
Ed Bouchette: Maybe they could sign him to the NEVER PRACTICED squad.

:toofunny: Classic!!!

polamalubeast
09-05-2017, 05:13 PM
LOL,this is funny Ed!

pczach
09-05-2017, 05:36 PM

He wasn't hurt and he wasn't confused the first 5 games of last season.

I think Ed B likes to cover his complete lack of inside knowledge and laziness by bashing easy targets whenever he can. Ed sounds more confused when talking about Steelers issues that he should know than Coates ever sounded to me.

Douchette strikes again. Kicking a guy in the ass as he's heading out the door.

teegre
09-05-2017, 06:23 PM

BB's comments after the AFCCG were just the tip of the iceberg (in regards to how he felt about him). IMO, Coates was more talented & has more upside than some of the players that they kept... but, my gut says that BB wanted him gone.

st33lersguy
09-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Again they essentially traded a WR with numerous issues that they were going to cut anyway for sorely needed safety depth and they traded him to one of the most poorly run teams in the NFL, not sure why this trade is receiving pushback right now

teegre
09-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Again they essentially traded a WR with numerous issues that they were going to cut anyway for sorely needed safety depth and they traded him to one of the most poorly run teams in the NFL, not sure why this trade is receiving pushback right now

Pushback???

st33lersguy
09-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Pushback???

Some are questioning trading a young talented player to a division rival though maybe pushback is too strong of a word, had trouble coming up with the right word while making the post

AtlantaDan
09-05-2017, 08:24 PM
He wasn't hurt and he wasn't confused the first 5 games of last season.

I was at Heinz in week 2 against the Bengals last year - Coates had some long gains and also quit on a route that resulted in a Bengals interception, after which Ben went over to Coates on the sideline to share his thoughts

Coates fell off the cliff after getting injured in week 5 against the Jets but there were issues going back to his rookie season

The Auburn product's season got off to a rough start when Mike Tomlin publicly criticized Coates' conditioning, and overall lack of knowledge of the team's offense, while local media constantly compared Coates to another Steelers mid-round draft pick with similar tangible skills in Martavis Bryant.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/5/30/11810710/sammie-coates-just-getting-comfortable-in-the-steelers-offense-and

And as Teegre posted above Ben was not feeling the love after the New England loss

How tough is it when guys like Sammie Cotes and Cobi Hamilton have given you one big play game at times. How tough is it when they didn't make those plays and those may have been plays you were counting on?
BR: It's a little frustrating because we talk about sometimes it's just one play here, one play there and tonight we didn't make those plays. Was it too big? Was it just a, I don't know. We need to make every single play in a game like this against an opponent like this.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/01/22/pittsburgh-steelers-postgame-transcripts-122

Note Hamilton also is gone - if Bouchette delivered a kick today it after those from two others who definitely have insider knowledge

teegre
09-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Some are questioning trading a young talented player to a division rival though maybe pushback is too strong of a word, had trouble coming up with the right word while making the post
Got it.

I am only speaking for myself, but allow me to clarify.

I think it was a GREAT trade. They traded a deep position that was 100% going to be cut, for a position of need. As far as why Coates (as opposed to Hunter), IMO, Coates burned his bridge with BB in the AFCCG.

tube517
09-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Got it.

I am only speaking for myself, but allow me to clarify.

I think it was a GREAT trade. They traded a deep position that was 100% going to be cut, for a position of need. As far as why Coates (as opposed to Hunter), IMO, Coates burned his bridge with BB in the AFCCG.

I can't put my "finger" on it but it may have been before that. :scratchchin: :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
09-05-2017, 09:08 PM
I really don't know why anyone is questioning this trade. He was going to get cut anyway so we did well with getting something for him. Seriously, what did Coates ever do other than run some streaks and screens? He never showed that he was capable of running anything else and he showed no ability to adjust to the ball or catch in traffic.

I liked his potential when we drafted him but I think that's all that he'll ever be, potential.

BlackAndGold
09-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Reason he got traded. Heard that during practices Coates always looked like he didn't know what he was doing, and/or not giving 100% effort.

Hate seeing talent being wasted.

Edman
09-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Reason he got traded. Heard that during practices Coates always looked like he didn't know what he was doing, and/or not giving 100% effort.

Not surprised. Soft as tissue paper.

Mojouw
09-19-2017, 09:54 AM

This is not really an attempt to defend Coates or Britt. I simply don't read or watch enough Browns coverage and games to know what is normal for either player.

But it is a 4th and 7 play down 14 points with 32 seconds left in the game. I mean even Coates can likely handle that basic math. Is it a great "look" for either guy? Not really. But it is garbage time.

polamalubeast
09-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2017, 06:46 PM

this has gotta be some kind of record

vasteeler
09-19-2017, 07:20 PM

That's a joke, right?

polamalubeast
09-22-2017, 11:11 AM

st33lersguy
09-22-2017, 02:44 PM
We actually got something for letting him go

SteelerFanInStl
09-22-2017, 07:42 PM
And to think that people on here were complaining about that trade.

ALLD
09-23-2017, 06:37 AM
Coates couldn't catch a cold during winter in Siberia. He is running out the clock on his contract and stealing a paycheck.

86WARD
09-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Coates couldn't catch a cold during winter in Siberia. He is running out the clock on his contract and stealing a paycheck.

In defense of Coates, I don’t think many people would catch a cold,during a Siberian winter...basically because there wouldn’t be a lot of people there to “pass” the virus and it’s a myth that the cold weather causes colds. It does however cause it indirectly because people stay inside where the rhinoviruses and influenza viruses fester.

So you could say that Coates couldn’t catch a cold during a Siberian Summer as well.

Hawkman
09-23-2017, 09:29 PM
In defense of Coates, I don’t think many people would catch a cold,during a Siberian winter...basically because there wouldn’t be a lot of people there to “pass” the virus and it’s a myth that the cold weather causes colds. It does however cause it indirectly because people stay inside where the rhinoviruses and influenza viruses fester.

So you could say that Coates couldn’t catch a cold during a Siberian Summer as well.

:nerd::heh:

Shoes
10-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Old Coates is tearing it up 1 catch for 11 yards. He's on the right team.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Old Coates is tearing it up 1 catch for 11 yards. He's on the right team.

and it only took him 6 targets to get there!

Steeldude
10-17-2017, 10:23 PM
But I thought it all had to do with his fingers? :rolleyes:

The guy simply can't catch and he is lazy. I stated this during his first year.

Now if Coates was still on the Steelers there would be people here making excuses for him.

Mojouw
10-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Well...clearly I was very wrong about Coates. I guess once again I am reminded that it takes more than physical ability to succeed in the NFL.

Count Steeler
10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Well...clearly I was very wrong about Coates. I guess once again I am reminded that it takes more than physical ability to succeed in the NFL.

It still shocks me to see what he did for 5 games at the start of last season and then just completely fell off a cliff. Yeah, they said he had finger issues, but, wow.

AtlantaDan
10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
No Coates fan here, but going to a toxic waste dump of a team is no place to work through your issues

Browns have changed quarterbacks 20 times in last 43 games

Those 20 changes have involved nine different quarterbacks...

The Browns are changing quarterbacks, on average, almost every other week

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/18/browns-have-changed-quarterbacks-20-times-in-last-43-games/

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2017, 03:12 PM
No Coates fan here, but going to a toxic waste dump of a team is no place to work through your issues

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/18/browns-have-changed-quarterbacks-20-times-in-last-43-games/

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/45/1e/34/451e346bcecce4346fd76c7d0a49df83.png

Born2Steel
10-18-2017, 08:06 PM
I still say it was broken fingers that were his undoing last season. He won my admiration by continuing to participate even with broken fingers. He played ST, and backup WR. His issues since then are the mystery, IMO.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2017, 08:12 PM

He's got 1 catch for 11 yards, ranking 13th ON THE BROWNS. I don't think that you can blame that on the QB. If you can't work your way up that weak depth chart, then you're just not very good.

st33lersguy
10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
He's got 1 catch for 11 yards, ranking 13th ON THE BROWNS. I don't think that you can blame that on the QB. If you can't work your way up that weak depth chart, then you're just not very good.

12 players have more yards receiving than you, it's not just the team (P.S. I didn't know the Browns had 13 NFL players that caught a pass)

AtlantaDan
10-18-2017, 09:08 PM

I certainly am not defending him - I took a shot at him and previously posted his current stats in one of the Bryant threads

But Joe Haden said this week what it is like to be in Pittsburgh rather than Cleveland

“These are great problems to have, man,” Haden said, contrasting the Steelers and Browns. “Just the executive decisions of whether we're going to keep coaches or whether or not we're going to keep GMs. The quarterback rotations. We weren't winning, so every week they were going to find something to mess with.”

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/kevingorman/12844213-74/kevin-gorman-steelers-laughing-at-latest-drama

pczach
10-19-2017, 06:12 AM
So now mastering a new offense and all the acclimation within his new system should be done within six games with almost no preseason with his new team?

Obviously he'll never catch another pass in the NFL and justify the bashers.

Lady Steel
10-20-2017, 01:31 AM
I certainly am not defending him - I took a shot at him and previously posted his current stats in one of the Bryant threads

But Joe Haden said this week what it is like to be in Pittsburgh rather than Cleveland

“These are great problems to have, man,” Haden said, contrasting the Steelers and Browns. “Just the executive decisions of whether we're going to keep coaches or whether or not we're going to keep GMs. The quarterback rotations. We weren't winning, so every week they were going to find something to mess with.”

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/kevingorman/12844213-74/kevin-gorman-steelers-laughing-at-latest-drama

Wow, good thing Ben wasn't benched then. :chuckle: