PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be The Most Surprising Player Cut Or Kept?

polamalubeast
09-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Question: Which player is going to be the biggest surprise to make or miss the Steelers’ 53-man roster?

Now that we are through with the preseason, the only thing left to do between now and the start of the regular season is to finalize the initial 53-man roster. There are many positions that can still go a number of ways, and in fact I would argue that there is more variability in how things can develop than there has been in most recent years.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/2017-camp-questions-will-surprising-player-cut-kept/

Born2Steel
09-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, interesting question. I would be shocked to the point of hysterical blindness if we keep Golson on the 53. But since I don't think there's a chance, I'll go with, I'll be shocked if we keep Bryan Allen on the 53. Most surprised to see get cut? I would have to say Arthur Moates. Not that he can't be cut and the team function the same, just that I'm almost positive in thinking we carry 10 LBs.

Rotorhead
09-01-2017, 10:37 AM
I am not sure there will be any surprises, it will be interesting to see how the CB's shake out with Gay and Hilton. Also the WR's will be interesting to see what happens between several. At this point I am thinking Hunter over Coates and they try to stash Ayers on the practice squad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Not that shocking because nobody really cares much about the #9 O lineman (if they keep 9) Brian Mihalik makes the 53. They sign Feiler to the practice squad.

I'm gonna take a flyer that they shockingly release Will Gay because they think Hilton, Sutton are younger options that can play the slot, but I don't think it actually happens. They love Gay more than DHB. And on that note, they let Coates go in favor of Hunter and DHB.

Hawkman
09-01-2017, 11:13 AM
And on that note, they let Coates go in favor of Hunter and DHB.

Agreed! It's amazing how poorly Coates has played this pre-season. Can't figure out if it's a confidence thing or what.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Agreed! It's amazing how poorly Coates has played this pre-season. Can't figure out if it's a confidence thing or what.

I recall he had some good catches in last weeks game, but maybe its coming back from injury. I said when he was drafted that he is NOT A NATURAL HANDS CATCHER OF THE FOOTBALL and for fans to be prepared for some drops and mis judgement of the ball.

He was drafted as a hedge against Bryant getting high again and was going to be a boom or bust prospect. Size, speed and physical stature of Terrell Owens, but hands of Dwight Stone.

SteelMember
09-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Current depth chart shows Croissant and Davis ahead of both Watson and Conner... which I think have both played better. I really don't think Davis showed anything at either RB or returns. If he is kept, it will be for the potential 2 special teams plays he might make this year. I don't think that warrants a spot.

Hawkman
09-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Current depth chart shows Croissant and Davis ahead of both Watson and Conner... which I think have both played better. I really don't think Davis showed anything at either RB or returns. If he is kept, it will be for the potential 2 special teams plays he might make this year. I don't think that warrants a spot.

.......and like many on here have already said, if they move Watson to the PS, he won't last. Too much nice tape on him this pre-season. He can catch too. My feeling is, that they keep Davis and Conner. One vet and one rookie.

Rotorhead
09-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Yeah, going to keep David and Conner, just to not have 2 rookies sitting behind Bell after his injury history. Plus Davis plays KR's so that is a plus in his corner over Watson.

Hawkman
09-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Yeah, going to keep David and Conner, just to not have 2 rookies sitting behind Bell after his injury history. Plus Davis plays KR's so that is a plus in his corner over Watson.

Also, Davis is a solid blocker.

Shoes
09-01-2017, 01:15 PM
I don't think Coates makes the 53, although I think most folks think he will. He's a WR and can play some SP, but he can't catch, battle for the ball or extend himself to make a catch like a WR is expected to. Besides that he seems to have a confidence battle going on between his ears. I'd take Hunter over Coates and I'm not crazy about Hunter.

tube517
09-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I don't think Coates makes the 53, although I think most folks think he will. He's a WR and can play some SP, but he can't catch, battle for the ball or extend himself to make a catch like a WR is expected to. Besides that he seems to have a confidence battle going on between his ears. I take Hunter over Coates and I'm not crazy about Hunter.

Was he paid to do that??? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 01:18 PM
My bet is the RB group is Bell, Connor, Fitz, Nix. Knile Davis didn't impress as I hoped he would.

Shoes
09-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Was he paid to do that??? :chuckle:

:lol:

teegre
09-01-2017, 02:00 PM
They love Gay

Case in point:
Joe Haden has been shadowing William Gay.

DesertSteel
09-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Not that shocking because nobody really cares much about the #9 O lineman (if they keep 9) Brian Mihalik makes the 53. They sign Feiler to the practice squad.

I'm gonna take a flyer that they shockingly release Will Gay because they think Hilton, Sutton are younger options that can play the slot, but I don't think it actually happens. They love Gay more than DHB. And on that note, they let Coates go in favor of Hunter and DHB.
I think they keep Gay because of Sutton's injury. I also hope they keep Coates instead of DHB. Coates' first 5 games were out of this world last year. DHB has never done anything as a receiver.

86WARD
09-01-2017, 04:36 PM

Depth charts are like that in the preseason. They mean nothing.

86WARD
09-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I think they keep Gay because of Sutton's injury. I also hope they keep Coates instead of DHB. Coates' first 5 games were out of this world last year. DHB has never done anything as a receiver.

At this stage, DHB and Coates are interchangeable...lol. DHB has better ST skills. Coates hasn't shown to be any better than DHB since those games.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 05:02 PM

True, I have always thought that DHB has done nothing as a WR and shouldn't be taking up a roster spot of a younger guy with potential upside. But he always sticks around....just like that entire season of Antowan Blake sucking and they kept rolling him out there week after week.

FrancoLambert
09-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Out of all the names mentioned I'd wouldn't mind at all if DHB goes. It's time. His arrow isn't pointing up anymore. Go with youth and potential.

BurghBoy412
09-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Justin Hunter will be kept. Coss Rockrell will be cut. Brian Allen will be kept.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Justin Hunter will be kept. Coss Rockrell will be cut. Brian Allen will be kept. I'll be shocked if they keep Brian Allen. He doesn't look like he earned a spot on the team as the 7th CB.

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2017, 07:33 PM
I'll be shocked if they keep Brian Allen. He doesn't look like he earned a spot on the team as the 7th CB.

I agree. He's got a ways to go before he makes an NFL roster.

Hawkman
09-01-2017, 08:19 PM
I agree. He's got a ways to go before he makes an NFL roster.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the PS.

pczach
09-01-2017, 08:46 PM
At this stage, DHB and Coates are interchangeable...lol. DHB has better ST skills. Coates hasn't shown to be any better than DHB since those games.

DHB has never even come within sniper range distance of what Coates produced in the first 5 games of last season before he got injured. To say that they are interchangeable I think really sells Coates short. DHB will never be any better than he is right now, and will now start to regress with age. Coates can still improve, and I still don't understand how everyone thinks they know that Coates just stinks and that his injuries had no affect on his performance last year.

I think the guy deserves the chance to see if he can recapture what he did last year when he is healthy. DHB can never match that potential and has produced next to nothing as a WR over his entire career with the Steelers.

I also saw somewhere here that DHB had 4 special teams tackles last year..........Let that sink in..........4 special teams tackles. Does that really sound like someone that should be taking up a roster spot over a younger, more explosive player with more upside than DHB ever had? It's not like he's making game changing plays in any way.

I just don't see why he should be kept over Coates.

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 01:27 AM
Don't be surprised if Ayers is kept.

Klinger wrote in a chat that he won't sign with our PS if he is indeed cut, he'll go elsewhere.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 01:35 AM
Don't be surprised if Ayers is kept.

Klinger wrote in a chat that he won't sign with our PS if he is indeed cut, he'll go elsewhere.

So they are going to keep a 7th round pick who is the 8th best WR on the team because he has threatened to go elsewhere?? As David Spade once said.........." Here's the bu and then the bye...bu-bye"

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 02:10 AM
So they are going to keep a 7th round pick who is the 8th best WR on the team because he has threatened to go elsewhere?? As David Spade once said.........." Here's the bu and then the bye...bu-bye"

It's been reported that the coaching staff likes Ayers. He missed all camp due to injury and Thursday was his first time getting PT, and he impressed returning punts, maybe it was enough?

But we'll see tomorrow.

ALLD
09-02-2017, 06:46 AM
I am surprised they kept Watson at RB and got rid of Fitz and Davis. That's too logical and somewhat out of character.

teegre
09-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Ian Rapoport is predicting that Ben Roethlisberger might be a final cut. Rapoport says it'll come down to Roethlisberger's PS availability.

FrancoLambert
09-02-2017, 07:23 AM
I am surprised they kept Watson at RB and got rid of Fitz and Davis. That's too logical and somewhat out of character.

They watched the game tapes....obviously.

BurghBoy412
09-02-2017, 08:22 AM
I'll be shocked if they keep Brian Allen. He doesn't look like he earned a spot on the team as the 7th CB. I'm hoping he can make the practice squad.

SteelerFanInStl
09-02-2017, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him on the PS.

Yea, he'd be good for the PS. I think he has potential. He just needs work.

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Ian Rapoport is predicting that Ben Roethlisberger might be a final cut. Rapoport says it'll come down to Roethlisberger's PS availability.

He still has his suddenness, but he's lost a lot of glide. Sad really.

teegre
09-02-2017, 10:31 AM
He still has his suddenness, but he's lost a lot of glide. Sad really.

Yea... but, he's good on special teams.

DesertSteel
09-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Update: keeping Ben as backup punter

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 11:23 AM
It's been reported that the coaching staff likes Ayers. He missed all camp due to injury and Thursday was his first time getting PT, and he impressed returning punts, maybe it was enough?

But we'll see tomorrow.

Ayers is cut. So much for his threat to not sign to the PS.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Well that might still happen. He doesn't have to go to the PS. In fact, if I was a WR, I wouldn't want anywhere near the Steelers PS. No clear path to promotion.

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Being cut doesn't mean you go to the PS, gotta clear waivers then the team will offer him a spot on the PS. We'll see if it is true.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Being cut doesn't mean you go to the PS, gotta clear waivers then the team will offer him a spot on the PS. We'll see if it is true.

Thanks for the info, but been a Steelers fan for 38 years now, so I already understand how "being cut" and "waivers" works.

Bottom line is that a 7th round pick who is the 8th best WR in preseason doesn't really hold that much leverage on the team.

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info, but been a Steelers fan for 38 years now, so I already understand how "being cut" and "waivers" works.

Bottom line is that a 7th round pick who is the 8th best WR in preseason doesn't really hold that much leverage on the team.

True. And that's assuming Ayers was ahead of Tucker and Hamilton in the pecking order. With him, Hamilton, and Coates gone now, who do you think makes the WR corps? Mainly who makes your 5th/6th WR spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2017, 01:58 PM
True. And that's assuming Ayers was ahead of Tucker and Hamilton in the pecking order. With him, Hamilton, and Coates gone now, who do you think makes the WR corps? Mainly who makes your 5th/6th WR spot.

Hunter-Ben likes the height and he showed vs Panthers he can get vertical. (also, if Bryant hits the bong again Hunter likely becomes the #2 WR)
DHB- Tomlin is his biggest fan.

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Hunter-Ben likes the height and he showed vs Panthers he can get vertical. (also, if Bryant hits the bong again Hunter likely becomes the #2 WR)
DHB- Tomlin is his biggest fan.

I think I agree with that. I like Hunter to be #5, and if we keep a 6th this season, has to be DHB.

Mojouw
09-02-2017, 04:01 PM
I predict Ayers will be on another NFL PS in about 36 hours. No benefit to staying here. Path is blocked by superior talent. Go take a chance in NY Jets, Bills, Rams, etc. Some team with less stacked talent in the room.

I will say this, while I am not necessarily a fan of all the moves the team made in the past 24 hours or so, this is the ballsiest roster I have ever seen out of Tomlin and company.

Favored youth over vets in several places. Cut ties with draft picks. Picked a few "upside athletes" over steady veteran football players, etc.

Even a few years ago, Watson, Grimble, Allen, etc don't make roster over some other more traditional options.

polamalubeast
09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I predict Ayers will be on another NFL PS in about 36 hours. No benefit to staying here. Path is blocked by superior talent. Go take a chance in NY Jets, Bills, Rams, etc. Some team with less stacked talent in the room.

I will say this, while I am not necessarily a fan of all the moves the team made in the past 24 hours or so, this is the ballsiest roster I have ever seen out of Tomlin and company.

Favored youth over vets in several places. Cut ties with draft picks. Picked a few "upside athletes" over steady veteran football players, etc.

Even a few years ago, Watson, Grimble, Allen, etc don't make roster over some other more traditional options.

And they don't sign a player for 9 millions per year!

Craic
09-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Well that might still happen. He doesn't have to go to the PS. In fact, if I was a WR, I wouldn't want anywhere near the Steelers PS. No clear path to promotion.

After last year's WR Dumpster fire of injuries and suspensions, I wouldn't be so sure of that. :chuckle:

BurghBoy412
09-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Brian Allen makes the 53!

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Brian Allen makes the 53!

Even if he doesn't come a future starter, I can see him being used as a guy that can cover these big fast tight ends.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Even if he doesn't come a future starter, I can see him being used as a guy that can cover these big fast tight ends. Don't get to happy he will get cut for a long snapper or a kick returner on waivers tomorrow.

FrancoLambert
09-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Colin Holba cut. After he was drafted, Colbert defended the pick and talked about how difficult it was to get a long snapper with the physique of a lineman.
Can't be too happy about that.

Born2Steel
09-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I have to wonder if Holba thought he was guaranteed to make it after being drafted as a LS. Thought he had it in the bag and just coasted through TC and preseason. Kind of how i feel about Cockrell and Coate as well. No room on this team for coasters anymore. I love it!

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Don't get to happy he will get cut for a long snapper or a kick returner on waivers tomorrow.

Would be surprising.

They may just throw T.Watson back to return kicks and just take a knee.

Sutton will go on IR, and Bell will sign his tag.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Would be surprising.

Sutton will go on IR, and Bell will sign his tag.Actually would like to see them throwing Watson back at kicks. He would be a force to bring down once he has that speed going.

Dwinsgames
09-02-2017, 08:22 PM

strange as it may sound ... many , even long time fans still do not know and a month from now won't know even though they read this thread

FrancoLambert
09-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Would be surprising.

Sutton will go on IR, and Bell will sign his tag.

Not a bad idea.

I don't remember many kickoffs being returned beyond the 25 this presesason.

Too many starts at the 18, 19, 21.....yard lines.

BlackAndGold
09-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Not a bad idea.

Agreed.

Unless it's prime Devin Hester, or Tyreek Hill, do the team a favor and take a knee. This offense will be fine starting at the 25 yard line.

43Hitman
09-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Agreed.

Unless it's prime Devin Hester, or Tyreek Hill, do the team a favor and take a knee. This offense will be fine starting at the 25 yard line.That's fine in theory except a lot of team pooch kick-offs to expose teams with bad ST units. We'll just use Coty/Brown more than likely.

tube517
09-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Not a bad idea.

Too often. We've never had a true KR threat since Woodson.

ALLD
09-03-2017, 07:57 AM
They cut Senquez Golson too. He never got on the field and should have never been drafted. Anybody with a pair of eyes saw it from a mile away. Sometimes the coaches get caught up in fantasy land.

86WARD
09-03-2017, 08:44 AM
Too often. We've never had a true KR threat since Woodson.

They had Boykin but opted not to use him. He was a returner in college and some with the Eagles from my understanding.

The days of Gary Russell, Najeh Davenport, Dri Archer, etc...they're gloomy times...like "1980s Steelers Gloom".

polamalubeast
09-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Antonio Brown was our KR in 2010(with Sanders) and 2011.

Our last KR for a TD is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIcx87UeKE

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2017, 09:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhJikPSGzM

FrancoLambert
09-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Agreed.

Unless it's prime Devin Hester, or Tyreek Hill, do the team a favor and take a knee. This offense will be fine starting at the 25 yard line.

I'd sign for that right now.

That's fine in theory except a lot of team pooch kick-offs to expose teams with bad ST units. We'll just use Coty/Brown more than likely.

We're going to see the teams we play do that on a regular basis.

Born2Steel
09-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I heard and/or read several times this offseason that Tomlin does not like defensive guys on PR/KR. I haven't paid much attention to that I guess. But that explains why Gilbert didn't get a shot at returns. Sutton has experience. Maybe Hunter, even though he has no experience. Looks like it's AB/Rogers on PR. I would have to guess on KR.

86WARD
09-03-2017, 09:48 AM
That's well known. One of the reasons Boykin wasn't used and I think there was someone else as well.

tube517
09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
They had Boykin but opted not to use him. He was a returner in college and some with the Eagles from my understanding.

The days of Gary Russell, Najeh Davenport, Dri Archer, etc...they're gloomy times...like "1980s Steelers Gloom".

I mean a regular KR not the hodgpodge of dookies and rugrats and crazies like above. Boykin and J.Gilbert were never given a shot at being a regular KR because of Tomlin's "no defense can be a KR/PR rule" for whaterver reason.

hawaiiansteeler
09-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Steelers Roster Cuts: 4 surprises and 4 disappointments on cut down day

The Pittsburgh Steelers have trimmed their roster from 90 to 53, and we cover the biggest surprises, and disappointments, after the dust settled.

by Jeff.Hartman
Sep 2, 2017

In one day, the Pittsburgh Steelers, along with the rest of the NFL, had to make some extremely difficult decisions when it came to trimming their roster. Unlike the past when teams could trim their roster from 90 to 75, and then 75 to 53, this year it was one cut down from 90 to 53.

Surprises

Daniel McCullers — The biggest reason this was a surprise was how L.T. Walton, and Tyson Alualu, could both play nose tackle if Javon Hargrave got injured. Nonetheless, McCullers plays special teams and goal line situations, and the team must value that enough to give him a roster spot.

Terrell Watson — It isn’t as if I haven’t been rooting hard for “the nightmare”, but how many times have fans seen a player who performs well in the preseason get cut based on the number game, and the depth chart above them. Nonetheless, Watson steamrolled his way through Fitzgerald Toussaint and Knile Davis to make this team. A pleasant surprise.

Xavier Grimble — Maybe I just didn’t recognize the reported strides Grimble was making as a blocker, but it seemed as if Grimble and Vance McDonald were both the same type player. Good size and speed, lacks consistency as a pass catcher. Nonetheless, Grimble lives to play another game, and it will be up to his blocking to prove his playing time.

Mike Hilton — Similar to Watson, fans have been pulling hard for the former Ole Miss cornerback, but he left the team no choice but to keep him. The small, but big, Hilton did nothing but make plays, and his next challenge is to continue his style, and productivity, into the regular season.

Honorable Mention: Justin Hunter, Jerald Hawkins, Coty Sensabaugh, Cameron Sutton (injured), Brian Allen

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/9/2/16247434/steelers-roster-cuts-biggest-surprises-and-disappointments-on-cut-down-day-dan-mccullers-colin-holba

BlackAndGold
09-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Antonio Brown was our KR in 2010(with Sanders) and 2011.

Our last KR for a TD is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIcx87UeKE

Even though some trickery was involved, we should have known AB was going to be special when he first touched the football and scored a TD.