PDA

View Full Version : Your Biggest Steelers Play Calling Pet Peeve?

GBMelBlount
08-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Mine is when they line up mano et mano on 4th and one and get stuffed, over and over, like they just did.

Why not spread out the D?

Flat out stupid IMO.

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 08:50 PM
A screen on 3rd down and long

st33lersguy
08-31-2017, 08:50 PM
The WR screen. I've had it with it.

lipps83
08-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Bombs always falling incomplete on 3rd and inches.

SteelerFanInStl
08-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Empty backfield inside of the 10.

steelreserve
08-31-2017, 10:34 PM
Third and 3. One receiver, one running back. Wonder what's coming here. 9 men in the box. Fuck it, let's just run the play as-is and get the punt team ready.

DesertSteel
08-31-2017, 11:49 PM
The complete absence of QB sneaks when it would clearly get a 1st down/TD. Baffling. I realize Ben may not like them. Suck it up.

smokin3000gt
09-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Harrison dropping back into coverage

43Hitman
09-01-2017, 04:15 AM
Harrison dropping back into coverage
Except when it nets a 100 yard int return for a TD in the SB.

teegre
09-01-2017, 06:27 AM
Goaline: trying to smash it in straight ahead.

The Steelers' O-line is not great at straight-ahead/smashmouth... whereas, they are extremely athletic & mobile. Pull Pouncey and/or DD, and allow Bell to choose a hole (which he excels at) from the stretched out D-line.

Born2Steel
09-01-2017, 07:48 AM
When a play fails and the forums light up with, 'they should have ran (insert other play)'. DURING A PRESEASON GAME.

AtlantaDan
09-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Ben consistently running the play clock down to somewhere between 2 and zero seconds before the ball is snapped

polamalubeast
09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Ben consistently running the play clock down to somewhere between 2 and zero seconds before the ball is snapped

I think it's the coaching staff who asks it.

Mojouw
09-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Why would that be bad? It bleeds time. Rarely if ever does Ben not get it off in time. Honestly curious why that would bother anyone?

FrancoLambert
09-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Why would that be bad? It bleeds time. Rarely if ever does Ben not get it off in time. Honestly curious why that would bother anyone?

The way I see it, you lose the element of surprise as to when the ball will be snapped.

AtlantaDan
09-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Mostly it just aggravates me, which is the definition of pet peeve (something that a particular person finds especially annoying)

But look at other QBs in the league such as Brady and Rodgers mix it up - running the clock to zero allows the defense to tee off by making it easier to time the snap and allows the defense a little more time to catch its breath - even when the Steelers go no huddle it typically is not hurry up - it is not as if Ben cannot do it (lightning drives at end of 2016 Dallas and Ravens games)

As you note, going to the other extreme and always snapping the ball ASAP has its downside (Falcons consistently getting the snap off with 10-15 seconds on the play clock in the second half of the Super Bowl collapse when they should have been milking clock) - one method of keeping the other side on its heels is by not falling into predictable patterns

tube517
09-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Mostly it just aggravates me, which is the definition of pet peeve (something that a particular person finds especially annoying)

But look at other QBs in the league such as Brady and Rodgers mix it up - running the clock to zero allows the defense to tee off by making it easier to time the snap and allows the defense a little more time to catch its breath - even when the Steelers go no huddle it typically is not hurry up - it is not as if Ben cannot do it (lightning drives at end of 2016 Dallas and Ravens games)

As you note, going to the other extreme and always snapping the ball ASAP has its downside (Falcons consistently getting the snap off with 10-15 seconds on the play clock in the second half of the Super Bowl collapse when they should have been milking clock) - one method of keeping the other side on its heels is by not falling into predictable patterns

Seems like it happened under Arians as well.

AtlantaDan
09-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Seems like it happened under Arians as well.

Since I blame Arians for everything including global warming and the sinking of the Titanic I will be glad to go with this being another bad habit Ben learned from BA :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-01-2017, 10:11 AM
The steelers are a bit faster in the last 2 years that before, since at that time Tomlin giving a little too much importance to the time of possession.

But I would still like the steelers to be even faster, but at least it's not like 2011, when the steelers were the slowest team.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats2011

steelreserve
09-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Basically it's the same thing as using "hut, hut, hike!" for your snap count. "Ok defense, get ready - we're about to snap the ball!" I mean, 8-year-olds can take advantage of that.

st33lersguy
09-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Another pet peeve I see too often, empty 5 WR shotgun on obvious run plays. If you are going to pass, at least put in an element of surprise instead of telegraphing you will pass. That's just a complete lack of imagination

polamalubeast
09-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Another one....A trick play on offense,like the one against the pats in week 1 in 2015 of the first quarter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Goaline: trying to smash it in straight ahead.

The Steelers' O-line is not great at straight-ahead/smashmouth... whereas, they are extremely athletic & mobile. Pull Pouncey and/or DD, and allow Bell to choose a hole (which he excels at) from the stretched out D-line.

See, this is where individual philosophy comes into play. I personally hate a slow developing counter or pull on the goal line, when a defender can shoot a gap or come off the edge to get in the backfield. Pulling DeCastro and a TE to the left from the 1.5 yard line and a defender gets Bell in the backfield annoys me.

I'd rather see Hubbard and Johnson in and a wham block inside and give it to #26 straight ahead. He can still pick a gap if he doesn't see the intended hole open, but the idea of giving the ball to a RB on short yardage where his shoulders are not parallel to the LOS is risky to me.

Even from that formation you can go play action to Johnson, Villanueva or have AB or Bryant single coverage on the outside.

Moose
09-01-2017, 11:21 AM
The complete absence of QB sneaks when it would clearly get a 1st down/TD. Baffling. I realize Ben may not like them. Suck it up.

I've gotta agree with this one. There are a few other's I have, but I do get tired of seeing 2nd and inches or 3rd and inches and you know Ben could fall forward for the TD, but instead they try a pass or run around the side- sometimes losing yards. But, then again, I don't want to see Ben get injured.
I guess another one I have would be a running play called on 3rd and long when the running plays have been stuffed all day long.

Born2Steel
09-01-2017, 11:47 AM
It's really going to bug me when we throw up that 60th point on the board, when our defense hasn't even given up a 1st down all game. I mean once this season would be ok, but EVERY game? C'mon, have some compassion.

teegre
09-01-2017, 02:04 PM
See, this is where individual philosophy comes into play. I personally hate a slow developing counter or pull on the goal line, when a defender can shoot a gap or come off the edge to get in the backfield. Pulling DeCastro and a TE to the left from the 1.5 yard line and a defender gets Bell in the backfield annoys me.

I'd rather see Hubbard and Johnson in and a wham block inside and give it to #26 straight ahead. He can still pick a gap if he doesn't see the intended hole open, but the idea of giving the ball to a RB on short yardage where his shoulders are not parallel to the LOS is risky to me.

Even from that formation you can go play action to Johnson, Villanueva or have AB or Bryant single coverage on the outside.

I hear you.

That said, the RB can still go straight ahead (e.g. to the right between DD & Gilbert) while Pouncey pulls to the left (taking the opposing team's MLB with him).

Make sense?

GBMelBlount
09-01-2017, 04:10 PM

YES.

If I am not mistaken, Ben has had good success on the sneaks.

So this is almost always my first choice on 4th and 1 or the goal line.

86WARD
09-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Shotgun draw in any situation...never works.

86WARD
09-01-2017, 04:44 PM

That's a great one...that actually may be my number one. It's not like Ben is a little guy either...lol.

86WARD
09-01-2017, 04:45 PM

I don't mind that one so much because that's Ben seeing something in coverage that most of the time is there, just some of it, the receivers have broken fingers or are suspended or just not talented enough to make the catch...but the call was right. Just poorly executed.

tube517
09-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Shotgun draw in any situation...never works.

All of this.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I hear you.

That said, the RB can still go straight ahead (e.g. to the right between DD & Gilbert) while Pouncey pulls to the left (taking the opposing team's MLB with him).

Make sense?

:rofl2: Not really. You know the MLB is gonna play the ball and not the matador, um pulling lineman I mean. I'd rather they just go 3 WR and run a stretch play so Bell can pick a hole, but again somebody shoots a gap.

polamalubeast
09-10-2017, 08:13 PM
What makes me crazy is when Haley does not trust his o-line

Also, I hate the empty backfield, especially in first or second down.This is always a quick pass in the empty backfield.Too predictable.

Rotorhead
09-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Short yardage and an empty backfield. Play action here would at least make 1-2 defenders stick closer to the LOS for a sec, but nope, never happens.

EzraTank
09-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Holy crap yesterday ... it took them a quarter and a half to realize the Browns were dropping their safeties 25-30 yards deep. Hell even the announcers were saying it over and over.

If a team does that then you throw 15 yards into the middle of the field on crossing patterns. Basic pee wee football.

GBMelBlount
09-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Holy crap yesterday ... it took them a quarter and a half to realize the Browns were dropping their safeties 25-30 yards deep. Hell even the announcers were saying it over and over.

If a team does that then you throw 15 yards into the middle of the field on crossing patterns. Basic pee wee football.

It boggles my mind how slow the Steelers are to make in-game adjustments, sometimes.

Imagine if we had lost yesterday.

The outcome of a lot of NFL games comes down to things that are even smaller than this.

We were lucky to come away with a win...

Dwinsgames
09-11-2017, 09:35 AM
one of the best deep ball QB in the league . and running on 3rd and 17 ( or insert long distance number here ) guess what nobody is shocked !!! you are not surprising anyone !!!

tube517
09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
one of the best deep ball QB in the league . and running on 3rd and 17 ( or insert long distance number here ) guess what nobody is shocked !!! you are not surprising anyone !!!

I almost choked on my buffalo wing yelling at the screen. WTF was that?

GBMelBlount
09-11-2017, 09:45 AM

I think sometimes we would do better if General Custer was calling plays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 09:52 AM

That was just playing it safe and smart so you can punt it away and let your defense grab some field position. Going for 17+ yards with a defense playing 2 deep and Gregg Williams who likes to blitz is almost like asking Ben to throw an INT or take a big hit from the Browns pass rush.

Sometimes a QB's smartest play is to throw it away. That play it was probably just as smart to hand it off.

EzraTank
09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
That was just playing it safe and smart so you can punt it away and let your defense grab some field position. Going for 17+ yards with a defense playing 2 deep and Gregg Williams who likes to blitz is almost like asking Ben to throw an INT or take a big hit from the Browns pass rush.

Sometimes a QB's smartest play is to throw it away. That play it was probably just as smart to hand it off.

So since they're playing 25 yards deep maybe throw it 15 yards down field and hope for RAC to pick up the first down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
So since they're playing 25 yards deep maybe throw it 15 yards down field and hope for RAC to pick up the first down.

I am thinking of the 3rd and 21 from the Steelers 31 yard line, where they went shotgun formation and draw to Bell for 0 yards. The score was 21-10 with 7:20 left in the 3rd quarter and the smart play there is to protect the 11 point lead and not try to throw a 20 yard pass with your QB dropped back to his own 20 yard line.

If a fan thinks you need to convert on 3rd and 21 from well inside your own side of the field with a 11 point lead in the 3rd quarter, instead of running a high percentage play, then that fan really needs to do some soul searching to understand why he is on the sofa with Doritos and a PBR and not an NFL Offensive Coordinator.

Born2Steel
09-11-2017, 11:15 AM
I am thinking of the 3rd and 21 from the Steelers 31 yard line, where they went shotgun formation and draw to Bell for 0 yards. The score was 21-10 with 7:20 left in the 3rd quarter and the smart play there is to protect the 11 point lead and not try to throw a 20 yard pass with your QB dropped back to his own 20 yard line.

If a fan thinks you need to convert on 3rd and 21 from well inside your own side of the field with a 11 point lead in the 3rd quarter, instead of running a high percentage play, then that fan really needs to do some soul searching to understand why he is on the sofa with Doritos and a PBR and not an NFL Offensive Coordinator.

How did you know my gameday snack? And I sit in a recliner thank you very much.

tube517
09-11-2017, 11:43 AM

I had wings and too much beer. Plus, I vandalized my own sofa and bathroom. That's automatic OC skills right there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I had wings and too much beer. Plus, I vandalized my own sofa and bathroom. That's automatic OC skills right there.

:rofl2: Well done!

Did you rip a towel dispenser off the wall? Kicking skills?

tube517
09-11-2017, 11:52 AM
:rofl2: Well done!

Did you rip a towel dispenser off the wall? Kicking skills?

My backup TE wasn't available to keep an eye out

GBMelBlount
01-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Mine is when they line up mano et mano on 4th and one and get stuffed, over and over, like they just did.

Why not spread out the D?

Flat out stupid IMO.

Well Said GB.

Over and over.

Fire Goodell
01-14-2018, 03:30 PM
No QB sneak when we only need a foot or less

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 03:49 PM

This. Low percentage plays on 3rd and short.

Steelerchad
01-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Agreed with the QB sneak. Even Tom Brady, who I consider a little bitch, calls his own number and usually picks up first downs on 4th and less than 1. Ben is 250.
Ben or Haley refuses to call that play with an All pro center and right guard. I don't get it. In a playoff game none the less.

st33lersguy
01-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Haley seems interested in calling only 2 passing plays: wr bubble screen and deep ball. He is also infatuated with plays that never seem to work such as aforementioned bubble screen & and wrap-around draw

Craic
01-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Biggest play calling pet peeve?

Calling a zone defense on 3rd and 5, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 3, and repeatedly letting them get first downs without any adjustments.

Wait . . . you mean offense? Sure, there's probably a handful there too, but nothing like the defense.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Biggest play calling pet peeve?

Calling a zone defense on 3rd and 5, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 3, and repeatedly letting them get first downs without any adjustments.

Wait . . . you mean offense? Sure, there's probably a handful there too, but nothing like the defense.

Agreed. Constant big cushions on 3rd down that make for easy conversions. Why does Artie always play way off? Is he incapable of playing press coverage? I thought that we drafted him because he was a good man CB?

dislocatedday
01-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Does this team ever run any play-action passes?

Play-action is one thing that never goes out of style assuming you have a competent running game (..which the Steelers do..). I just do not get why the Steelers don't run more of them these days. I seem to recall in Ben's early days the team had a lot of success with play-action.

Born2Steel
01-14-2018, 05:15 PM
"Ben will not throw 55 passes this time against the Jags". Nope, he threw 58 passes.

Mojouw
01-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Ben throwing was not the problem. That was one of the greatest QB performances of his career. He shredded a great defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Steeler
01-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Having a slow obviously offensive game plan. Then look up and be down by 21 points, then go into a hurry up for rest of the game

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Ben throwing was not the problem. That was one of the greatest QB performances of his career. He shredded a great defense.

Agreed. Ben played a great game.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Agreed, and all despite all the PI non-calls the Jaguars got away with.

stillers4me
01-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Except when it nets a 100 yard int return for a TD in the SB.

He was younger then....and it still about killed him. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! Thank you. I have a clip on my phone...a mugging with the endzone 10 yards a way! Imagine getting that deserved call....

pczach
01-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Wait....I thought Ben didn't have it anymore? :stirthepot:

I can't believe that every single time a ball gets tipped, juggled, or fumbled against this team, it seems to pop up in the air for the Jags to intercept it or return a fumble for a TD.....as if by divine intervention.

GBMelBlount
01-14-2018, 05:36 PM
No QB sneak when we only need a foot or less

Exactly. I kept telling my wife, why no QB sneak?

Craic
01-14-2018, 05:49 PM

I was honestly okay with that because our guys were doing the same (and our receivers were pushing off as well). Good job on the refs for swallowing their whistles throughout the entire game and only calling safety issues or egregious, formation, or other penalties that are pretty clear cut. In all honesty, that's the type of officiating we want the entire season. I'd much rather see that than what we saw last night.

stillers4me
01-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Going for it on 4th and long and...............hey, we scored 2 TD's today! #thatreallywasmazing #ifyathinkaboutit #gutsycalls

86WARD
01-14-2018, 06:52 PM
Not calling a QB Sneak on 4th and short, 3rd and short...it’s the biggest gaff of the game. Roethlisberger had run a QB sneak 19 times in his career. 18 of them have resulted in a first down...yet the OC who put up 42 points on the Jags Defense in a LOSS takes this play out of the playbook. Other problem is on the defense. Playing zone on 3rd and short repeatedly and repeatedly giving up first downs...