PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectation of the defense in 2017?

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
4 questions

1.What do you expect from this defense in 2017?

2.What player in defense we can not lose?

3.Last year, the Steelers finished 10th in points allowed (327) and 12th in yards....What do you think will be the steelers' ranking this year?

4.And do you think that this defense will be competitive against the packers and the patriots, who are in our schedule?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-31-2017, 05:02 PM
I'll answer 4. The Packers and Patriots are going to put up points against just about any team in The NFL. I think this D could be good enough to hold them slightly under 30.

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 05:04 PM
I'll answer 4. The Packers and Patriots are going to put up points against just about any team in The NFL I think this D could be good enough to hold them slightly under 30.

When I say competitive, I speak as not to give points to each drive and make some defensive stop(punt or turnovers)and not make their live too easy that would be just enough.

08-31-2017, 05:09 PM
When I say competitive, I speak as not to give points to each drive and make some defensive stop(punt or turnovers)and not make their live too easy that would be just enough. Well then yes I think Steelers D will continue to improve and will make stops against Elite offenses but still see them letting some points go.

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Well then yes I think Steelers D will continue to improve and will make stops against Elite offenses but still see them letting some points go.

Like the Falcons in the super bowl(I blame their offense for their lost)

Edman
08-31-2017, 05:14 PM
They're not going to "stop" the Packers and Patriots Offenses. They will surrender points against those teams. That is a given.

The most I can ask out of the Defense is making stops and putting pressure on opposing offenses, instead of being hammered from pillar to post, like the D has been playing in this preseason, where the Falcons and Colts could pretty much do everything they wanted.

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Stop their offense? No.

Contain and be competitive, it's possible.

08-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Like the Falcons in the super bowl(I blame their offense for their lost)No I blame the offense play calling later in the game for their loss. But yea it's a offense league now cause of the rules. It is very hard to keep a great offense team from not getting there points.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop their offense? No.

Contain and be competitive, it's possible. Yep that is it and think that is possible.

FrancoLambert
08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
1. Sorry, but I must hedge on this one. There are a lot of variables in play. If our pass rush and pass coverage plays like it has so far in preseason, we're not winning a championship. The flip side. If Mitchell plays to form, if Bud breaks out, if Joe Haden plays at his previous high level, if the front three can remain healthy, if Shazier plays an entire season, then yeah, we have a good shot at winning #7,

2. May sound crazy, but if Haden plays to form and comes close to shut-down corner staus, it might be him. Shazier too, we lose him in the middle and we're screwed.

3. ???????

4. Again, it's going to hinge on pass defense. If Brady and Rogers watch tape and see secondary play reminiscent of how we performed in the preseason, they'll start
drooling.

steelreserve
08-31-2017, 05:48 PM
4 questions

3.Last year, the Steelers finished 10th in points allowed (327) and 12th in yards....What do you think will be the steelers' ranking this year?

4.And do you think that this defense will be competitive against the packers and the patriots, who are in our schedule?

1. Start out shitty and incoherent, but gradually improve to be above-average by the second half of the season as things start to come together.

2. Tuitt. He goes down, a chain reaction goes all the way down the unit, leading to shitty pass defense. While people recognize he's good, I don't think they recognize just HOW important he is. He may be a DE, but he is the guy doing most of Casey Hampton's old job by creating chaos and clogging up the middle while STILL getting pressure.

3. Probably about the same, but hopefully more of a consistent trend than a collapsing trend.

4. Next season, definitely. This year, flip a coin. All depends on how the pieces fit together, whether Watt can be a force right out of the gate, and whether Dupreee finally figures it all out this year. They've got a good chance.

Born2Steel
08-31-2017, 08:09 PM
1. A strong front 7 and a selfish and stingy secondary.

2. Ryan Shazier. Depth at ILB is severely lacking.

3. 9th in points and 11th in yards.

4. Our personnel can now play zone or man when healthy and better than last year. AND since our offense is going to put up 50 on both GB and NE, yes we will be competitive.

Iron Steeler
08-31-2017, 08:29 PM
12th overall

5th in rushing

like 16th in passin still

- - - Updated - - -

We should do what the Pats and Seahawks do and hold every WR in their routes.... Maybe we get Top 5 def

heh heh

Psycho Ward 86
08-31-2017, 08:49 PM

1) With the addition of Haden and TJ Watt as a potential DROY and Dupree taking his game to the next level after an off season with a legendary pass rushing coach, I fully expect this defense to be in the upper quartile in all facets. More consistency from seasons beginning to end. Butler knows now that the 3 man rush + Cover 2 of the early 2016 season isnt going to get us far. We finished the 2nd half of the season in the top 5 across the board defensively. We have an identity and its undeniable. The administration is sick and tired of being the Patriots whipping boys and showed an extraordinary leap in dedicating themselves to get over the hump in just the past couple days. I think our defensive draft class will all make the leap. Havent felt this optimistic about this team in God knows how long

2) Ryan Shazier. The all-purpose weapon of mass destruction. Theres is no way to game plan around the guy. I think this will be the season that he shores up the missed tackles and asserts himself as an elite ILB. Based on the metrics of his play alone id still pick him, but the lack of depth at ILB makes him even more difficult of a hypothetical loss.

3) 8th in PPG, 8th in YPG

4) Absolutely. At home base especially, you betcha.

DesertSteel
08-31-2017, 11:51 PM
Top 10 D and Shazier is the guy they can't lose. If he stays healthy... 5+ sacks and 5+ int's. I don't think that happens very often.