PDA

View Full Version : Joe Haden?

Rotorhead
08-29-2017, 10:55 AM
The Browns are said to be shopping Joe Haden, looks like $14.4m contract for this year. I know he was hurt for a couple game last year, but this would could be a good pickup. He is 28 and if he keeps up his probowl play, he could be the last key to get over the hump. What do you all think?

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 10:56 AM
not at 11-12 millions per year and he is not that good too.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 11:05 AM
This move makes too much sense. It won't happen

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm sure there will be a bunch of posts say "Haden isn't that good." We'll completely disregard the fact that he's been stuck in Cleveland. BTW I remember a washed up running back that wore 36 that was traded for once upon a time. That worked out alright. But I'm sure we'll ho hum the idea. So please disregard this post. You bunch of negative Nancy's!

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm sure there will be a bunch of posts say "Haden isn't that good." We'll completely disregard the fact that he's been stuck in Cleveland. BTW I remember a washed up running back that wore 36 that was traded for once upon a time. That worked out alright. But I'm sure we'll ho hum the idea. So please disregard this post. You bunch of negative Nancy's!

not at 10-12 millions per year...

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 11:15 AM
This move makes too much sense. It won't happen

Too much sense?

Haden's contract will not make any trade easy. He is due to be paid $11.1 million this season, and $11.2 million and $10.4 million in 2018 and '19. Any team that acquires Haden would have to accept those salaries for a corner who last went to the Pro Bowl in 2014.

In the two years since his last Pro Bowl appearance Haden has fought through injuries. He missed 11 games in 2015 with a finger injury and concussion that cost him several games, and three last season, when he played through two groin issues that required postseason surgery.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20495844/cleveland-browns-open-trade-offers-veteran-cb-joe-haden

So Haden brings a combo platter of high salary hit + injury issues (after the Ladarius Green fiasco Steelers presumably leery of any trades for players who have missed time for concussions).

Browns apparently are tanking the season and want to dump salary for signings next offseason. Wait them out, see if they release Haden, then possibly try to negotiate a contract with a low $$ base and incentives.

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Do not want, unless they're willing to take a 5th and eat most of his salary.

He's just not the same player, injuries slowed him down.

Rotorhead
08-29-2017, 02:38 PM
How about comparing him to Cockrell instead of his probowl year. He may not be as good as that year, but is he a significant upgrade at our CB position? That is what we need, one more good CB to get this team over the hump.

Mojouw
08-29-2017, 02:42 PM
How about comparing him to Cockrell instead of his probowl year. He may not be as good as that year, but is he a significant upgrade at our CB position? That is what we need, one more good CB to get this team over the hump.

If we use PFF's #'s from last season - than Cockrell is 100 CBs better than Haden.

Now, how much does injuries and being a Brown impact those #'s? No idea.

But Haden is a very expensive gamble at this point. That said, for the right price I would totally do it.

steel striker
08-29-2017, 02:48 PM
That's too much money for him no way the Steelers would sign off for this.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
no thanks to Haden but I would gladly entertain Briean Boddy Calhoun whom I was pretty high on predraft and was convinced he would be a Steeler , good cover guy who can play man or zone , very good in run support , just had Steeler written all over him

86WARD
08-29-2017, 03:16 PM
No because of the money. Otherwise, I would.

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 03:16 PM
He could wind up getting flat out cut, I see no one taking on his contract.

If he's cut, then I'm sure the Steelers would entertain the idea of signing him.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 03:46 PM
There isn't a player on the current roster that can even come close to these career numbers.https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HadeJo99.htm If you don't think a 28 year old Haden is worth it. Name a player out there that is worth it. The window is closing Ben is gone by 2020. If they don't put some cash on the table and make a move they'll waste this opportunity. Once Ben is gone. There is no telling how long it will take to find another franchise QB. Especially one that is capable of winning a Super Bowl. If they don't address the CB#2. I'm sorry but this team will not win a Super Bowl this year.

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 03:50 PM
There isn't a player on the current roster that can even come close to these career numbers.https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HadeJo99.htm If you don't think a 28 year old Haden is worth it. Name a player out there that is worth it. The window is closing Ben is gone by 2020. If they don't put some cash on the table and make a move they'll waste this opportunity. Once Ben is gone. There is no telling how long it will take to find another franchise QB. Especially one that is capable of winning a Super Bowl. If they don't address the CB#2. I'm sorry but this team will not win a Super Bowl this year.

The problem is his salary....

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 03:53 PM
The problem is his salary....The problem is Ben Roethlisberger is almost done! You can't keep looking at things like your HOF QB has 10 years left. I bet they get 2 more if they're lucky.

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 03:57 PM
The problem is Ben Roethlisberger is almost done! You can't keep looking at things like your HOF QB has 10 years left. I bet they get 2 more if they're lucky.

I would sign Revis if he wants to play instead.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Mel Blount and Rod Woodson have better career numbers too - should they be brought in?

Past results are no guarantee of future performance but more recent numbers usually are a better gauge of current value than peak numbers

As Mojouw posted above, PFF is no fan of the current level of Haden's play.

PFF ran this story before this year's draft - would you pay Haden's current salary given his performance the past two seasons?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-hadens-decline-might-lead-the-browns-to-lean-cb-in-the-draft

Haden was tied for sixth in the NFL for most touchdowns given up (six) last season.
Haden also allowed the 12th-most yards per coverage snap at 1.48.
10 missed tackles in 2016 were the highest total in his career

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2017/04/Joe-Haden-Grades-1024x781.png

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 03:59 PM
I would sign Revis if he wants to play instead.I don't even know what to say to that. Lol

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Mel Blount and Rod Woodson have better career numbers too - should they be brought in?

Past results are no guarantee of future performance but more recent numbers usually are a better gauge of current value than peak numbers

PFF ran this story before this year's draft - would you paty Haden's salry given his performance the past two seasons?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-hadens-decline-might-lead-the-browns-to-lean-cb-in-the-draft

Haden was tied for sixth in the NFL for most touchdowns given up (six) last season.

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2017/04/Joe-Haden-Grades-1024x781.pngHaden is still better than any CB on this team.

Yes If Mel Blount and Rod Woodson can help win a title. Sign them as well!

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Haden is still better than any CB on this team.

Not in the last 2 years....

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Not in the last 2 years....I suppose his last 2 years erase all of his good years. I'm sure you'll tell me how Cockrell has been better now.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:08 PM
It's funny everyone wants to win a Championship but is too damn Conservative to actually make a move. YOU'RE HOF QB is about to RETIRE!!!

polamalubeast
I suppose his last 2 years erase all of his good years.

This is "what you did lately" league.

I do not want the steelers to start making desperate moves on players they are not close to being at the level of their salary.

AtlantaDan
Haden is still better than any CB on this team.

My point is you play on the field, not on your past accomplishments that are not likely to be achieved again

Debatable Haden currently is better than Burns but you are proposing the equivalent of Mercedes $$$ for a CB when the purchase has been in the shop much of the past two seasons and at best will now have a non-luxury level of performance - budgets are a pain to live within but cannot be ignored

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:09 PM
This is "what you did lately" league.

I do not want the steelers to start making desperate moves on players they are not close to being at the level of their salary.Too damn Conservative for my liking. Ben is going to retire soon! Do something!

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:10 PM
It's funny everyone wants to win a Championship but is too damn Conservative to actually make a move. YOU'RE HOF QB is about to RETIRE!!!

I think Roethlisberger will still play at least 3 years and the steelers had great success in the 2000s by being conservative

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:11 PM
My point is you play on the field, not on your past accomplishments that are not likely to be achieved again

Debatable Haden currently is better than Burns but you are proposing the equivalent of Mercedes $$$ for a CB when the purchase has been in the shop much of the past two seasons and at best will now have a non-luxury level of performance - budgets are a pain to live within but cannot be ignoredSo you're saying you can exactly predict how well he'll perform this year? Hello, Ben is about to hang it up!

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 04:11 PM
I suppose his last 2 years erase all of his good years.

If he was coming in to negotiate a new deal today that is an accurate statement of how any offer to him would be valued - a player can have an off year but two bad years with injuries on the downside of a career is significant

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:12 PM
So you're saying you can exactly predict how well he'll perform this year? Hello, Ben is about to hang it up!

We will not win much with a high risk, low reward move.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM
If he was coming in to negotiate a new deal today that is an accurate statement of how any offer to him would be valued - a player can have an off year but two bad years with injuries on the downside of a career is significantPossibly. I haven't seen one CB that's been mentioned on here that people want to sign. Yet everyone bitches about the secondary. Lol

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:15 PM
We will not win much with a high risk, low reward move.How do you know it's low reward? You mean to tell me you know exactly how he'll perform this year? C'mon guy you're not able to see the future.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 04:17 PM
So you're saying you can exactly predict how well he'll perform this year? Hello, Ben is about to hang it up!

Never said that - I posted this

FWIW Ben is about to hang them up (as Ronald Reagan said about aging, Ben's career has more yesterdays than tomorrows) even if his performance has not collapsed like Haden's has.

Bottom line is if Haden was so valuable why are the Browns shopping him around?

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Never said that - I posted this

FWIW Ben is about to hang them up (as Ronald Reagan said about aging, Ben's career has more yesterdays than tomorrows) even if his performance has not collapsed like Haden's has.

Bottom line is if Haden was so valuable why are the Browns shopping him around?From what I've read they're trying to make room and stock picks for 2018 draft. They're not planning on competing for a Championship this year.

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
How do you know it's low reward? You mean to tell me you know exactly how he'll perform this year? C'mon guy you're not able to see the future.

Good chance that Haden do not performs close to the level of his salary.

Remember in 2010 when the vikings made a trade to have Randy Moss against a 3rd round pick?...It was a desperate move and it did not work

In 2005, the steelers did not make a desperate move in the final year of Jerome Bettis.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Good chance that Haden do not performs close to the level of his salary.

Remember in 2010 when the vikings made a trade to have Randy Moss against a 3rd round pick?...It was a desperate move and it did not work

In 2005, the steelers did not make a desperate move in the final year of Jerome Bettis.You see it as desperate. Well I say starting Ross Cockrell is pretty darn desperate my friend.

teegre
08-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Bottom line is if Haden was so valuable why are the Browns shopping him around?

The Browns are being run by the "moneyball" guys. Any expensive contract is replaced with three players for the same cost. They have the most players (of any team) still on their first contract.

But, I do not disagree with you on your reasons not to trade for him ...because, the real question is: If Haden were such a good player why aren't teams lining up to get him???

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:25 PM
You see it as desperate. Well I say starting Ross Cockrell is pretty darn desperate my friend.

I would not be surprised if the steelers make a trade like today to improve the cornerback position.But not for Haden.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:32 PM
I would not be surprised if the steelers make a trade like today to improve the cornerback position.But not for Haden.They'll wait till cuts. The negotiate new deals. I'm hoping Kyle Fuller and/or Joe Haden get pink slips. Maybe they could land one of them. Who knows but it's not fair to this team to stand by and do nothing at all.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 04:33 PM
The Browns are being run by the "moneyball" guys. Any expensive contract is replaced with three players for the same cost. They have the most players (of any team) still on their first contract.

But, I do not disagree with you on your reasons not to trade for him ...because, the real question is: If Haden were such a good player why aren't teams lining up to get him???

As I posted earlier, if it is a salary dump they will do it anyhow after nobody takes the bait and has to take on the contract

If the Browns release him then try for a lowball $$$ signing

After getting burned on Justin Gilbert (among other trades of low picks for taking CBs off the scrap heap) I would hope the Steelers are done trading picks to take on CBs the Browns are dumping

Mojouw
08-29-2017, 04:34 PM
SO let me make sure I got this straight:

1. Ross Cockrell needs to get cut. Not benched, but straight up cut because he is the weak link on defense.
2. Joe Haden has performed like multiple times worse than Cockrell the last 2 years. Cockrell's only 2 years in the league I believe.
3. Haden had some good, but not great years about 4 seasons back.
4. Now the Steelers should pay in draft picks and all their remaining cap room + some other cap gymnastics to sign a guy who MIGHT rebound to play at the level of their current CBs?

Look, I'm all for shaking up the roster. I really am. But you gotta look at the cost/benefit to doing it. I mean if this was baseball and Cleveland could eat a bunch of Haden's salary -- sure send them a future pick and call it a day.

Maybe sending a pick or a wideout the Bears way for Fuller really is the "best" path to improvement. I don't know. But since Champ Bailey, I can't think of a trade involving a CB that really was a short-cut to improvement in the secondary. Either you draft bad-ass CBs or your just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:34 PM

But, I do not disagree with you on your reasons not to trade for him ...because, the real question is: If Haden were such a good player why aren't teams lining up to get him???They might be lining up. Not to trade for him but to sign him off of waivers.

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2017, 04:35 PM

LOL! Bettis was nowhere close to being "washed up" when he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers. He'd only been in the NFL for 3 years. The Rams had moved to a more pass oriented offense so he didn't fit their style any more.

ALLD
08-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Too expensive for the risk/reward.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:39 PM
SO let me make sure I got this straight:

1. Ross Cockrell needs to get cut. Not benched, but straight up cut because he is the weak link on defense.
2. Joe Haden has performed like multiple times worse than Cockrell the last 2 years. Cockrell's only 2 years in the league I believe.
3. Haden had some good, but not great years about 4 seasons back.
4. Now the Steelers should pay in draft picks and all their remaining cap room + some other cap gymnastics to sign a guy who MIGHT rebound to play at the level of their current CBs?

Look, I'm all for shaking up the roster. I really am. But you gotta look at the cost/benefit to doing it. I mean if this was baseball and Cleveland could eat a bunch of Haden's salary -- sure send them a future pick and call it a day.

Maybe sending a pick or a wideout the Bears way for Fuller really is the "best" path to improvement. I don't know. But since Champ Bailey, I can't think of a trade involving a CB that really was a short-cut to improvement in the secondary. Either you draft bad-ass CBs or your just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.I blame this all on Jarvis Jones. If he'd have actually panned out this team could've started addressing the secondary much earlier. All of this could've been avoided.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
LOL! Bettis was nowhere close to being "washed up" when he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers. He'd only been in the NFL for 3 years. The Rams had moved to a more pass oriented offense so he didn't fit their style any more.Jesus F'ing Christ you're right and I'm wrong. Lalala

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Bettis was just not a good fit for the Rams at this time.He was a great fit for the steelers and Cowherball!

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 04:43 PM
LOL! Bettis was nowhere close to being "washed up" when he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers. He'd only been in the NFL for 3 years. The Rams had moved to a more pass oriented offense so he didn't fit their style any more.

The Rams coach also was pi**ed off after Bettis pulled a Le'Veon

Bettis was a Pro Bowler his first two seasons with the Los Angeles Rams, topping 1,000 yards both seasons. But Bettis got on Brooks' bad side with a training camp holdout. He didn't miss any regular-season games before finally reporting — without the new contract he wanted — but [Rams coach Rich] Brooks still took it personally.
Fifteen years later, it still rankles Bettis, one of the friendliest pro athletes you'll ever meet.

"It was a frustrating season because I came in after a holdout, and it was something that me and management were dealing with," Bettis told the Post-Dispatch last week. "But Brooks held it against me as if I did something to him...
"Each week he would pull me out of the football game after I performed fairly well. He would yank me. He did that the majority of the season until I hurt my foot."

Rams sealed the deal by drafting ... wait for it ... Lawrence Phillips with the #6 pick in the first round then moving Bettis on 2016 draft day. :der:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/bitter-parting-sweet-ending-for-bettis/article_a62e948c-83df-5528-aa76-9867f2cd682d.html

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:43 PM
LOL! Bettis was nowhere close to being "washed up" when he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers. He'd only been in the NFL for 3 years. The Rams had moved to a more pass oriented offense so he didn't fit their style any more.Jesus F'ing Christ!! You're right I'm wrong lalala

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 04:45 PM

After Ben made his retirement talk, the next day he was in Todd Haley's office game planning for the 2017 season.

He's just being over dramatic, Ben isn't going anywhere for the next 2 years, I feel confident in that.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Bettis was a Pro Bowler his first two seasons with the Los Angeles Rams, topping 1,000 yards both seasons. But Bettis got on Brooks' bad side with a training camp holdout. He didn't miss any regular-season games before finally reporting — without the new contract he wanted — but [Rams coach Rich] Brooks still took it personally.
Fifteen years later, it still rankles Bettis, one of the friendliest pro athletes you'll ever meet.

"It was a frustrating season because I came in after a holdout, and it was something that me and management were dealing with," Bettis told the Post-Dispatch last week. "But Brooks held it against me as if I did something to him...
"Each week he would pull me out of the football game after I performed fairly well. He would yank me. He did that the majority of the season until I hurt my foot."

Rams sealed the deal by drafting ... wait for it ... Lawrence Phillips with the #6 pick in the first round then moving Bettis on 2016 draft day. :der:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/bitter-parting-sweet-ending-for-bettis/article_a62e948c-83df-5528-aa76-9867f2cd682d.htmlFor Christ's sake I get it. I didn't know my history well enough. I was like 10 f'ing years old when they traded for the Bus.

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 04:47 PM
After Ben made his retirement talk, the next day he was in Todd Haley's office game planning for the 2017 season.

He's just being over dramatic, Ben isn't going anywhere for the next 2 years, I feel confident in that.2 years is a very very small window. That's all I was saying for God's sake!

Mojouw
08-29-2017, 04:53 PM
I blame this all on Jarvis Jones. If he'd have actually panned out this team could've started addressing the secondary much earlier. All of this could've been avoided.

I think it is worse than that. Jones was just the wrong pick from the get-go. It was a shortsighted attempt by the team to add a pass-rusher and try and get one last round-up with the old gang. The rebuild/tear down should've started that year.

How much better would this team be right now, if Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes would've been the pick that year in the first round? But no.....they went with the edge rusher with piss poor combine numbers, no real measurables, and some of the most inflated college stats you would ever want to see.

st33lersguy
08-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Steelers already just burned $7 mil a year on the new tight end, this team can't afford Haden

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Steelers already just burned $7 mil a year on the new tight end, this team can't afford HadenThis team can't afford to start Cockrell as well. Oh well I guess.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
For Christ's sake I get it. I didn't know my history well enough. I was like 10 f'ing years old when they traded for the Bus.

To clarify I want to make clear my :der: in my Bettis post was not directed at you but the brain dead Rams head coach at the time

:drink:

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 05:10 PM
To clarify I want to make clear my :der: in my Bettis post was not directed at you but the brain dead Rams head coach at the time

:drink:No man, it is I who was "brain dead" on that one.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 05:12 PM
I think it is worse than that. Jones was just the wrong pick from the get-go.

Anytime you miss on a first round pick it screws up future drafts because you need to redraft for that position after assuming you had fixed it for at least 5 years by using picks you had planned to use on other needs you deferred

The worst is a swing and a miss on a high first round QB pick since if you hit on that you usually are good at the position for a decade

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 05:18 PM
The steelers for the moment have only missed 1 first round pick in this decade, so it's not bad, especially that 2013 were an awful draft in general.Of course, this draft had good players, but this is the case for every drafts, but the quantity was very thin

Rotorhead
08-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Yeah I get that he has been injured the last 2 seasons. If the thought is he will hit waivers, then for sure don't make any trades and try to negotiate. I hope we pick up someone who can outplay Ross and we can improve our secondary before the NE game.

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Haden won't hit waivers, if he gets cut he'll be a FA.

With Pouncey, Gilbert here(Ex teammates at Florida) and an open competition spot at corner, I feel confident he would consider signing here.

86WARD
08-29-2017, 06:08 PM
He'd most likely have to accept a performance contract but I don't think he'd sign here. He has Oakland written all over him...

Shoes
08-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Haden spends a lot of time on the bench injured, no thanks

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2017, 07:16 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/bitter-parting-sweet-ending-for-bettis/article_a62e948c-83df-5528-aa76-9867f2cd682d.html

Brooks was an idiot, and a terrible coach. He wanted to turn Bettis into a FB.

st33lersguy
08-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Rarely do rash offseason moves win Super Bowls. You can't make rash offseason moves just to avoid being "conservative". Something tells me that spending over $10 million and at least one draft pick on a cornerback who hasn't been good the last two years isn't a good move

BurghBoy412
08-29-2017, 10:34 PM
I consider starting Ross Cockrell a rash decision / move.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 06:59 AM

I said why not!

SteelerFanInStl
08-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Haden's a free agent now so any team can sign him.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Well, now we shall see.

Gotta figure the Steelers can offer Haden one thing no else rumored to be interested can:

"Want to stick it your old employers 2 X per year?"

Bluecoat96
08-30-2017, 08:58 AM
I see that Pouncey is already working on Haden over on Instagram.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Drazo85
08-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Make it happen. One year, prove it, deal.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 09:20 AM

st33lersguy
08-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Well now at a cheap price and at no cost of draft picks, it's worth a try

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 09:43 AM

SteelerFanInStl
08-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Get it done Steelers! Sign him to a "prove it" deal.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Haden has the same agent that Antonio Brown.....

Rotorhead
08-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Well then, lets hope we can sign him. The Steelers can offer him one more thing the Browns and most other teams can not . . . a chance at a ring!

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

:pray:

EzraTank
08-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Not in the last 2 years....

Holy crap any CB is going to suck when you have the rest of the horrible Browns defense around you.

Hell Deion in his prime couldn't cover receivers for 10 seconds without any pass rush.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Holy crap any CB is going to suck when you have the rest of the horrible Browns defense against you.

Hell Deion in his prime couldn't cover receivers for 10 seconds without any pass rush.

I was against a trade for Haden because of his salary and it would cost a draft pick.

But now at the right price, I want Haden to sign with the steelers.

EzraTank
08-30-2017, 10:28 AM
I was against a trade for Haden because of his salary and it would cost a draft pick.

But now at the right price, I want Haden to sign with the steelers.

I agree, but I was just answering your opinion of his play the last two years. The Browns of the two years would kill any players stats. They were a mess.

But yes I would have NEVER touched his current contract, nothing is worth that. But now it's all different.

I just hope the Patriots don't get him.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Haden on a one year "prove it deal"? Absolutely.

I was against this only when it was going to be draft pick(s) + $10 million or so on the cap.

Rotorhead
08-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Wow, sounds like the Steelers are the front runners and actually trying to fix their defense . . . so that means he will sign with the Pats . . .

43Hitman
08-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Somewhere @BurghBoy412 is doing a jig.

tube517
08-30-2017, 11:13 AM
902919225005621248 :chuckle:

salamander
08-30-2017, 11:20 AM
The injuries scare me, but I would take Haden over Cockrell no doubt at this point.

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 11:27 AM
The injuries scare me, but I would take Haden over Cockrell no doubt at this point.

Is he healthy enough to be on the field now is what I have to ask. If he's currently "IR" bound, then I want NOTHING to do with him at whatever price. If he can play week 1, even in relief, then I'm interested in hearing terms.

tube517
08-30-2017, 11:36 AM

Bluecoat96
08-30-2017, 11:44 AM
After working with Ray Horton for a couple of years, you would think that Haden would be a perfect fit here.

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 11:59 AM
A concern? Haden ended 2015 on IR due to a concussion. He played fairly well in 2016 for 13 games. Any concussion worry with him?

SteelerFanInStl
08-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Is he healthy enough to be on the field now is what I have to ask. If he's currently "IR" bound, then I want NOTHING to do with him at whatever price. If he can play week 1, even in relief, then I'm interested in hearing terms.

He's played in all 3 of the Browns preseason games so it sure seems like he's healthy.

tube517
08-30-2017, 12:11 PM
His agent is Rosenhaus.

Rotorhead
08-30-2017, 12:15 PM
His agent is Rosenhaus.

Oh, so now we know where all the leaks are coming from, and why there is so much buzz going around . . . I hate that guy. Also means the Steelers may not even be looking at him, he is just trying to drive up the price for Haden.

AtlantaDan
08-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Oh, so now we know where all the leaks are coming from, and why there is so much buzz going around . . . I hate that guy. Also means the Steelers may not even be looking at him, he is just trying to drive up the price for Haden.

Rosenhaus represents AB too - that could be a recruiting edge

$$$ are the top reason to sign somewhere but after being in the Browns gulag his entire career Haden presumably would like to play for a winning team

Dwinsgames
08-30-2017, 12:32 PM
His agent is Rosenhaus.

unless someone steps up with a long term deal this late in the game it isnt gonna matter

Haden will sign for league min otherwise as the Browns will be on the hook for 4mill+ and use 2017 to make his case for a long term FA deal in 2018
longterm at his age will be a 3 year deal though not 4-5

that is my best guess

Iron Steeler
08-30-2017, 12:40 PM
We wont get him... dont get your hopes uo. It makes to mich sense.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 12:59 PM

- - - Updated - - -

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 01:08 PM
If he signs, I hope they use Cockrell as trade bait. He played well last year, so I'm sure some team will give up something.

Shoes
08-30-2017, 01:09 PM
He played in 18 games since 2014! Forget it, or the Steelers will be paying another player for keeping the pine plank warm.

tube517
08-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Rosenhaus represents AB too - that could be a recruiting edge

$$$ are the top reason to sign somewhere but after being in the Browns gulag his entire career Haden presumably would like to play for a winning team

unless someone steps up with a long term deal this late in the game it isnt gonna matter

Haden will sign for league min otherwise as the Browns will be on the hook for 4mill+ and use 2017 to make his case for a long term FA deal in 2018
longterm at his age will be a 3 year deal though not 4-5

that is my best guess

He played in 18 games since 2014! Forget it, or the Steelers will be paying another player for keeping the pine plank warm.

Gotta replace Boykin and J.Gilbert on that plank! :chuckle:

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 01:25 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Steelers are the "favorite" to sign free agent CB Joe Haden.
Most signs have been pointing to this over the past hour. Haden, 28, isn't going to last long on the open market. A plus starter when healthy, Haden should have his pick of the litter. Signing with the Steelers would give Haden a chance to stay in the same division and not have to pick up his bags and move far, while also providing a real chance at the playoffs. Haden will have a home soon. Aug 30 - 11:25 AM

BurghBoy412
08-30-2017, 01:28 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Steelers are the "favorite" to sign free agent CB Joe Haden.
Most signs have been pointing to this over the past hour. Haden, 28, isn't going to last long on the open market. A plus starter when healthy, Haden should have his pick of the litter. Signing with the Steelers would give Haden a chance to stay in the same division and not have to pick up his bags and move far, while also providing a real chance at the playoffs. Haden will have a home soon. Aug 30 - 11:25 AMMan! I'm so excited! Please let this happen!!!

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 01:35 PM

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 01:41 PM

tube517
08-30-2017, 01:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIeowOYUwAAZitS.jpg:large :lol:

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 01:48 PM

I have concerns as well. But....What I read says Haden played 15 games in 2014, 5 in 2015 due to concussion, and 13 in 2016. Side note, his 2016 numbers look a lot like his pre concussion numbers. For whatever that's worth.

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 02:07 PM
It will come down to whether or not Haden wants to play for the Steelers $ #.

This is how they always negotiate. They talk to a guy make sure it feels right and then they give him their best and usually only offer.

Haden wants to shop that offer or try and get more -- well then 9 times out of 10 he won't be signing in Pittsburgh.

He likes the # or the situation enough, then this is as good as done.

DesertSteel
08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
How many games have Bryant and Bell played in that same time period? But we all seem to be pinning our hopes on them...

- - - Updated - - -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIeowOYUwAAZitS.jpg:large :lol:

Love this... lol

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 02:19 PM
About 6-7 million on a one year deal feels like the high end. 3-4 million feels like the low end.

Isn't there something in his Cleveland contract that the less Haden signs for the more he screws them?

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 02:22 PM
About 6-7 million on a one year deal feels like the high end. 3-4 million feels like the low end.

Isn't there something in his Cleveland contract that the less Haden signs for the more he screws them?

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 02:25 PM
I'll have to re-check but I believe I read that Haden was guaranteed his $4mil base salary for this season, so I can see him agreeing on 2-3 mil.

Bluecoat96
08-30-2017, 02:26 PM
902891696257687552Just think for a second. If Haden were to sign for a deal like this, the Browns would be paying for Haden to potentially kick their ass twice a year...by the Steelers. That sounds too good to be true. Lol

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Nice.

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Well then it comes down to how pissed off Haden is.

If he wants to stick it to Cleveland badly enough - no other team can offer what the Steelers offer.

If he just wants to get paid - different story.

Bluecoat96
08-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Here's the thing. Haden is reportedly meeting the Steelers in Charlotte. I know that it's pure speculation, but that says to me Haden is more than just kinda interested. You don't make that kind of trip unless there's something waiting like a possible contract. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see Haden sporting a Steelers hat on the sidelines Thursday night.

steelreserve
08-30-2017, 02:42 PM
If I read that right, he gets paid the same no matter what. (Unless some dumb team wants to throw a ton of money at him). So he can basically pick whichever team he wants and get the same deal. I could see this working. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than trading for him and eating a fat contract.

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Here's the thing. Haden is reportedly meeting the Steelers in Charlotte. I know that it's pure speculation, but that says to me Haden is more than just kinda interested. You don't make that kind of trip unless there's something waiting like a possible contract.

There is a lot to like for Haden in the Burgh.

1. Can stick it to Cleveland twice, starting week one.
2. College teammates in Pouncey and Gilbert
3. Last but not least, can join a championship contender with a CB spot open.

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 02:58 PM
How would this play out for the 53 at CB? Does Haden take the slot job over Gay, putting Sutton backing him up? If Gay goes to the dime, what happens to Hilton?

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 02:59 PM
How would this play out for the 53 at CB? Does Haden take the slot job over Gay, putting Sutton backing him up? If Gay goes to the dime, what happens to Hilton?

Hilton is maybe ahead of Gay right now....

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
I just wonder if this will be longer than a 1 year deal which is the speculation?

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 03:13 PM
I just wonder if this will be longer than a 1 year deal which is the speculation?

I predict it will be a one year deal if he sign with us.

GBMelBlount
08-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Unless the drop off in performance is explainable / reversable,

I fear we may end up with another wasted expensive (Ladarius Green type) signing.

As Mojouw posted above, PFF is no fan of the current level of Haden's play.

PFF ran this story before this year's draft - would you pay Haden's current salary given his performance the past two seasons?

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2017/04/Joe-Haden-Grades-1024x781.png

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 03:16 PM
I predict it will be a one year deal if he sign with us.

Most likely, but the Steelers must think about trying to get it to 2 years.

Would Joe Haden even want a 1 year deal with his injury issues plus age?

Born2Steel
08-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Hilton is maybe ahead of Gay right now....

Maybe. I'm not so sure in the minds of the coaches though. Hilton has played well this preseason, but has he surpassed Gay's history with the team? In other words, Gay we know, Hilton we know in preseason.

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Most likely, but the Steelers must think about trying to get it to 2 years.

Would Joe Haden even want a 1 year deal with his injury issues plus age?

Its value is not at its highest right now, so I think he could accept a one year deal and if he has a very good season with us he could have a big deal afterwards with another team

We will see

- - - Updated - - -

Forget that!

- - - Updated - - -

st33lersguy
08-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Its value is not at its highest right now, so I think he could accept a one year deal and if he has a very good season with us he could have a big deal afterwards with another team

We will see

- - - Updated - - -

Forget that!

Ok that's a little too expensive, really bringing the risk up

BlackAndGold
08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
holy shit.

salamander
08-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Well, damn...I didn't expect them to actually land him, let alone so quickly

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Well. Damn. Usually I am not at a loss but this one has me kinda confused.

1. That's a lot of money.
2. But I guessed 6-7 million on a one year deal. So 9 Million per year over 3 years...I guess that's in line.
3. Haden is a bargain if they get the Haden from like 4 years ago.
4. If anyone knows Haden well, its the Steelers. Been one of the only 3 Browns worth scouting his entire career. Plus if AB says you're good at CB -- you're good at CB.
5. Maybe Tomlin and the Steelers can stop sending thirsty messages to every CB in the league now...

Now if they could just pull a safety out of their ass.

43Hitman
08-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Well. Damn. Usually I am not at a loss but this one has me kinda confused.

1. That's a lot of money.
2. But I guessed 6-7 million on a one year deal. So 9 Million per year over 3 years...I guess that's in line.
3. Haden is a bargain if they get the Haden from like 4 years ago.
4. If anyone knows Haden well, its the Steelers. Been one of the only 3 Browns worth scouting his entire career. Plus if AB says you're good at CB -- you're good at CB.
5. Maybe Tomlin and the Steelers can stop sending thirsty messages to every CB in the league now...

Now if they could just pull a safety out of their ass.TJ Ward is on the block. I'm not so sure we could even pull it off, but it would mean cutting Mitchell(not gonna happen) and moving Davis to free so that Ward could play his natural position. Probably asking to much, but damn Ward has always been a thumper.

Mojouw
08-30-2017, 04:29 PM
TJ Ward is on the block. I'm not so sure we could even pull it off, but it would mean cutting Mitchell(not gonna happen) and moving Davis to free so that Ward could play his natural position. Probably asking to much, but damn Ward has always been a thumper.

I'm not a fan of that move. Ward is a thumper, but this team doesn't need a box safety. They need a cover safety. Ward isn't that guy.

But he can lay the smack on people...

Psycho Ward 86
08-30-2017, 04:31 PM
The browns are paying 4 million of that $7 million on the first year. Just saw it on Steelers Depot. What a time to be alive, looks like were putting all the chips in for #7. Im going to consider this a 1 year deal given how little the steelers are paying him for Year 1. If he continues to be injury prone and perform poorly we can cut him loose without much grievance. If McDonald and Haden play to their potential....boy oh boy will it have been a great 2 days for Steeler nation

polamalubeast
08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
The browns are paying 4 million of that $7 million on the first year. Just saw it on Steelers Depot. What a time to be alive, looks like were putting all the chips in for #7. Im going to consider this a 1 year deal given how little the steelers are paying him for Year 1. If he continues to be injury prone and perform poorly we can cut him loose without much grievance. If McDonald and Haden play to their potential....boy oh boy will it have been a great 2 days for Steeler nation

Not true

43Hitman
08-30-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm not a fan of that move. Ward is a thumper, but this team doesn't need a box safety. They need a cover safety. Ward isn't that guy.

But he can lay the smack on people...
Me either, but it was the only feasible thing I could see happening. Besides that, if we start adding too many new variables to this defense/team and it could upset the chemistry.

pczach
08-30-2017, 06:59 PM
There is a lot to like for Haden in the Burgh.

1. Can stick it to Cleveland twice, starting week one.
2. College teammates in Pouncey and Gilbert
3. Last but not least, can join a championship contender with a CB spot open.
4. Most importantly.....he won't have to guard Antonio Brown twice a year!

BurghBoy412
08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
2016-17 Joe Haden Highlights. I dunno but the guy looks like he's still got it to me. I'm thinking Haden will take over the #2 CB duties. Whilst Artie will still be tasked as the #1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4S9pBRmqM

tube517
08-30-2017, 07:26 PM
2016-17 Joe Haden Highlights. I dunno but the guy looks like he's still got it to me.

Alot of picks against Bert Flaccid in that highlight reel

BurghBoy412
08-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Alot of picks against Bert Flaccid in that highlight reelI love how he plays the out routes. Tommie Boy loves him some out routes.

st33lersguy
08-30-2017, 07:41 PM
4. Most importantly.....he won't have to guard Antonio Brown twice a year!

He'll just have to guard him in practice :)

DesertSteel
08-31-2017, 01:22 PM
2016-17 Joe Haden Highlights. I dunno but the guy looks like he's still got it to me. I'm thinking Haden will take over the #2 CB duties. Whilst Artie will still be tasked as the #1.

Which means that Haden could take the #1 WR with help from a double team and Burns can take the #2 one-on-one...