PDA

View Full Version : The 27 members of the inaugural class of the HallOfHonor.

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 09:19 AM

43Hitman
08-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Just watched the induction presentation. Good stuff

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dwinsgames
08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
disappointed that they failed to honor the contributions of perhaps the 1 man who had more influence on the organization and helping create the 70s dynasty than maybe anyone else not named Rooney ...

Bill Nunn

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 11:20 AM
disappointed that they failed to honor the contributions of perhaps the 1 man who had more influence on the organization and helping create the 70s dynasty than maybe anyone else not named Rooney ...

Bill Nunn

Agreed on Bill Nunn - IMO if Dan Rooney was still present that might have happened

Good to see some of the old guard honored to remind everyone the Steelers did have some (rare) bright spots in their history prior to hiring Coach Noll in 1969.

Alan Faneca not being included is a puzzler. Others included were not first team All Pro 6 times

tube517
08-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Bill Nunn

Agreed on Bill Nunn - IMO if Dan Rooney was still present that might have happened

Good to see some of the old guard honored to remind everyone the Steelers did have some (rare) bright spots in their history prior to hiring Coach Noll in 1969.

Alan Faneca not being included is a puzzler. Others included were not first team All Pro 6 times

Agree on Nunn Sr. and Faneca. They meet the criteria. I'd have put Faneca over Kevin Greene in this initial group to be honest.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-announce-plans-for-Hall-of-Honor/7150ef93-33ba-4401-ad2b-f5b4a50caada

The following are the guidelines for eligibility to be considered for the Steelers’ Hall of Honor:

FORMER PLAYERS:
• Retired for at least three seasons
• Must have played for the Steelers for a minimum of three seasons
• Should possess noteworthy career highlights, records, and achievements

FORMER COACHES AND CONTRIBUTORS:
• Significant contributions to the team and community

43Hitman
08-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Agree on Nunn Sr. and Faneca. They meet the criteria. I'd have put Faneca over Kevin Greene in this initial group to be honest.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-announce-plans-for-Hall-of-Honor/7150ef93-33ba-4401-ad2b-f5b4a50caada

The following are the guidelines for eligibility to be considered for the Steelers’ Hall of Honor:

FORMER PLAYERS:
• Retired for at least three seasons
• Must have played for the Steelers for a minimum of three seasons
• Should possess noteworthy career highlights, records, and achievements

FORMER COACHES AND CONTRIBUTORS:
• Significant contributions to the team and communityThe thing is, you can't go wrong with any of the picks. They are all great and at some point will be right there with everyone else in the Hall of Honor.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2017, 12:43 PM
The thing is, you can't go wrong with any of the picks. They are all great and at some point will be right there with everyone else in the Hall of Honor.

while true I guess I am from the line of thinking of ....

without A you can not get to B , without B there is no C etc etc ...

without Bill Nunn several of the players mentioned never wear Black N Gold as he is the man responsible for them being here

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Agreed on Faneca over Greene - he had a HOF career but only spent three seasons of it in Pittsburgh

I also was going to say maybe go with Greg Lloyd over Greene as well if it is based on three top seasons, but then I checked Lloyd's stats - I remembered Lloyd as this unstoppable pass rushing force, then saw he only had one double digit sack season (10 in 1994) and otherwise got 6 - 6.5 sacks from 1992 - 1995 before he blew out his knee and his career effectively ended in week one of the 1996 season

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeKe00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LloyGr00.htm

Mojouw
08-29-2017, 01:15 PM
I don't like Greene in the initial group. But Lloyd doesn't have the #'s. Porter is ummmm...how to say this....combustible right now. Last thing anyone needs is more reason for him to run his mouth and act the fool.

Gildon is Gildon. So I guess you kinda have to do Greene if you want one of the 3-4 pass rushers?

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 01:28 PM
I don't like Greene in the initial group. But Lloyd doesn't have the #'s. Porter is ummmm...how to say this....combustible right now. Last thing anyone needs is more reason for him to run his mouth and act the fool.

Gildon is Gildon. So I guess you kinda have to do Greene if you want one of the 3-4 pass rushers?

Good point - they already have Dawson in to represent the OL from that era

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
After the 1970s, each players who are in the hall of honor are in the HOF.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
After the 1970s, each players who are in the hall of honor are in the HOF.

Before the 70s too - but based on what he accomplished as a Steeler one of the pre-Noll picks is a puzzler over Faneca.

Walt Kiesling was an offensive and defensive lineman who played his last 2 seasons in Pittsburgh in 1937-38 after his All Pro years then as Steelers head coach went 25-41

Kiesling is mostly remembered as the guy who cut from the team a young and promising Pittsburgh quarterback named Johnny Unitas (http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/thedigs/2012/10/15/johnny-unitas/)....

Kiesling said goodbye to his team in a speech most notable for its lack of drama. “Kiesling has no emotion about anything,” said one Steelers official, “unless it’s a horse coming down the stretch.”:lol:

https://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/thedigs/2015/07/29/the-57-steelers-and-their-colorful-chain-smoking-coach/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KiesWa20.htm#all_all_pro
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/KiesWa0.htm

Maybe Kiesling got in because he was a HOF worthy drinking buddy when he played the horses with The Chief?

86WARD
08-29-2017, 03:20 PM
All deserving. More than anyone else IMO. Nunn, Faneca, Cowher, etc...they'll all be in eventually. This inaugural class is perfect. Much larger than I thought it would be.

teegre
08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Agreed on Faneca over Greene - he had a HOF career but only spent three seasons of it in Pittsburgh

I also was going to say maybe go with Greg Lloyd over Greene as well if it is based on three top seasons, but then I checked Lloyd's stats - I remembered Lloyd as this unstoppable pass rushing force, then saw he only had one double digit sack season (10 in 1994) and otherwise got 6 - 6.5 sacks from 1992 - 1995 before he blew out his knee and his career effectively ended in week one of the 1996 season

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeKe00.htm

No one ran on Lloyd (in a run-heavy era).

Case in point:
When Dallas was at its peak, Emmitt ran for two straight losses to Lloyd's side. Lloyd walked over to the Dallas sideline, and yelled, "Don't run that shit to my side!!!" And, the OC did not... for the remainder of the game.

polamalubeast
08-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Greg Lloyd has been all-pro 3 times(1993,1994 and 1995)

Greene was all-pro with us only once in 3 years,but maybe the steelers choose Greene because he is in the HOF.

The important thing is that Lloyd will be honored one day.

fansince'76
08-29-2017, 07:47 PM
What, no Weegie Thompson?

:chuckle:

Mojouw
08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
No one ran on Lloyd (in a run-heavy era).

Case in point:
When Dallas was at its peak, Emmitt ran for two straight losses to Lloyd's side. Lloyd walked over to the Dallas sideline, and yelled, "Don't run that shit to my side!!!" And, the OC did not... for the remainder of the game.

No doubt. Lloyd was a stone cold bad-ass. With him, throw the stats out the window -- the man impacted games by just being Greg Llyod. Wish I could find it on the Youtubes, but I've never been able to. But I know there was an SI or NFL FIlms piece about guys of that era and Steve Young and a few other QBs were all like -- Llyod. That dude hit me the hardest. No Questions.

Butch
08-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Bill Nunn

This

While I am mostly content with the picks I agree that the inaugural class should have had Bill Nunn

teegre
08-29-2017, 09:36 PM
No doubt. Lloyd was a stone cold bad-ass. With him, throw the stats out the window -- the man impacted games by just being Greg Llyod. Wish I could find it on the Youtubes, but I've never been able to. But I know there was an SI or NFL FIlms piece about guys of that era and Steve Young and a few other QBs were all like -- Llyod. That dude hit me the hardest. No Questions.

There was an ESPN highlight which encapsulate this. It showed Lloyd bouncing around pre-snap, and the opposing QB sounding like Brad Pitt at the end of Se7en: "Where is 95???... Where is effin' 95!?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmqwbZa6_w&app=desktop

tube517
08-29-2017, 09:45 PM
So obvious who is missing. Rooney and the rest of the committee need to be fired:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/NavajoScout/johnkuhnhof.png

86WARD
08-29-2017, 09:48 PM

There was an interview with Jim Harbaugh, I believe Lloyd broke his tooth through the mouth guard on a hit and they asked Harbaugh what he thought of Lloyd and he said something to the effect that if the US wanted to handle Bosnia, they could give Greg Lloyd a sock and some pool balls and send him to Bosnia to finish it.

tube517
08-30-2017, 08:28 AM
There was an interview with Jim Harbaugh, I believe Lloyd broke his tooth through the mouth guard on a hit and they asked Harbaugh what he thought of Lloyd and he said something to the effect that if the US wanted to handle Bosnia, they could give Greg Lloyd a sock and some pool balls and send him to Bosnia to finish it.

Greg Lloyd carried the nasty scary linebacker tradition from Lambert to Porter to Deebo. Jerry glanville said Lloyd was the nastiest player he'd ever seen. Lloyd did the wrestling 1-2-3 count one time after a punishing tackle and I can't remember when but I think Glanville mentioned that moment in an NFL Films type documentary.

Then I still remember Lloyd's profanity laced post game AFCC game speech carried live, cementing his nasty status. :chuckle:

pczach
08-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Greg Lloyd carried the nasty scary linebacker tradition from Lambert to Porter to Deebo. Jerry glanville said Lloyd was the nastiest player he'd ever seen. Lloyd did the wrestling 1-2-3 count one time after a punishing tackle and I can't remember when but I think Glanville mentioned that moment in an NFL Films type documentary.

Then I still remember Lloyd's profanity laced post game AFCC game speech carried live, cementing his nasty status. :chuckle:

The majority of players talk shit and preen around and taunt from time to time. But when things get very real and it's put up or shut up time, there are only a few that are prepared to "dance". There weren't many people in the NFL that wanted a piece of Greg Lloyd. He was just one of those guys that you just didn't F with.

He truly was a Bad Man. That dude just blew people up!

43Hitman
08-30-2017, 06:54 PM
The majority of players talk shit and preen around and taunt from time to time. But when things get very real and it's put up or shut up time, there are only a few that are prepared to "dance". There weren't many people in the NFL that wanted a piece of Greg Lloyd. He was just one of those guys that you just didn't F with.

He truly was a Bad Man. That dude just blew people up!I miss that style of play. James is the closest we've had since then and he's on the endangered species list.

tube517
08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
I miss that style of play. James is the closest we've had since then and he's on the endangered species list.

Lambert/Lloyd/Harrison had a joint autograph session earlier this year.

I wish I could have been there for that! Three of the baddest dudes in professional sports ever!

43Hitman
08-31-2017, 04:53 AM
Lambert/Lloyd/Harrison had a joint autograph session earlier this year.

I wish I could have been there for that! Three of the baddest dudes in professional sports ever!
Man, that would have been incredible to attend.

AtlantaDan
08-31-2017, 07:20 AM
Lambert/Lloyd/Harrison had a joint autograph session earlier this year!

Will be interesting to see if Lambert shows up for the ceremony in November - he is a very private guy who only shows up if the price is right or he wants to do it - he did not attend the 75th anniversary all time Steelers team ceremony at Heinz in 2007

But when it really matters Lambert balances his need for privacy with doing what is right, as was the case when Coach Noll passed

Starkey talked about how intensely private Jack Lambert is and how he has kept to himself for the playing days, but made sure to sit down with Noll’s wife to express his condolences. “He [Lambert] called Joe Gordon over the weekend and said he wanted to sit down and talk with Marianne Noll, Chuck’s wife. So Sunday, it was arranged that Jack Lambert would talk with Marianne Noll at 1:30, and sure enough, Joe Gordon showed up at the funeral home, and at 1 o’clock, Jack Lambert was sitting outside in his truck, presumably having driven in from Kittanning, which I think is where he lives up there, sitting in his truck waiting. And he had a chance to have an audience, have a nice talk with Marianne Noll for about 15 to 20 minutes and then left and drove back home before anybody else came.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/06/18/many-upset-over-terry-bradshaw-not-paying-respects-to-chuck-noll/

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 07:23 AM
My Bold Prediction:Terry Bradshaw will show up!

tube517
08-31-2017, 07:32 AM
My Bold Prediction:Terry Bradshaw will show up!

Most of his 70s teammates are in the first group and they are probably the only ones who would make him feel comfortable.

Personally, I don't think he'll show because of his duties w/FOX (or that will be his excuse)

- - - Updated - - -

Most of his 70s teammates are in the first group and they are probably the only ones who would make him feel comfortable.

Personally, I don't think he'll show because of his duties w/FOX (or that will be his excuse)

EDIT: The ceremony is during the weekend of the Packers game on Nov. 26 (NBC). Doubt he will be there

Steelermania
08-31-2017, 08:18 AM
Walt Kiesling? WTF! What on earth did he ever do, except make one of the worst moves in NFL history? This group is diminished by his presence. If you needed a coach from the distant past, either Buddy Parker, or Jock Sutherland would have been a vastly better choice.

86WARD
08-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Joey Porter was one of the best at talking trash and then backing it up and then some...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Yup, but don't ask his son for an opinion. I don't think he has forgiven him yet for pointing his glock at him.

86WARD
09-02-2017, 05:45 PM
They should retire #14 as well. That number has been nothing but hot garbage.

polamalubeast
09-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Neil O'Donnell,Limas Sweed,Sammie Coates....

tube517
09-02-2017, 05:54 PM

86WARD
09-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Lol.

tube517
11-24-2017, 04:25 PM