PDA

View Full Version : Don't count out Cam Sutton in competition for starting CB

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Dwinsgames
08-28-2017, 07:13 PM
if anyone on the roster can do it it is probably Sutton , the kid is a playbook junkie he will know his assignment along with everyone elses ...

couple that with the thin group he has to over take and I believe it is a possibility

AtlantaDan
08-28-2017, 07:38 PM
couple that with the thin group he has to over take and I believe it is a possibility

Yep - Sutton is not trying to break into the equivalent of Seattle's Legion of Boom at its peak

It has gotten so grim for Cockrell that P-G reporter Ray Fittapldo was discussing the possibility of Cockrell being released today

Ray Fittipaldo: He is a zone corner being asked to do more. He looks like he could be the odd man out....

Do you think Cockrell will be released?
Ray Fittipaldo: Doubt it, but I do admit it's a possibility with the way he has played.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/28/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-8-28-17/stories/201708280080

BurghBoy412
08-28-2017, 07:40 PM
I'd start him game 1. Let him learn on the fly. He's already better than Cockrell. Probably already better than Coty as well. He's equipped to play the style of Defense they're looking to play. So let him play then.

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 07:43 PM
I'd start him game 1. Let him learn on the fly. He's already better than Cockrell. Probably already better than Coty as well. He's equipped to play the style of Defense they're looking to play. So let him play then.

I agree, but I do not think it's going to happen early in the season.

I think if Sutton is our 2nd corner it will be in the second half of the season, but the sooner it is, the better it will be.

DesertSteel
08-28-2017, 08:17 PM
He's a 4-year SEC guy... he can do it.

GBMelBlount
08-28-2017, 08:34 PM
He's a 4-year SEC guy... he can do it.

Hopefully.

Perhaps a bit presumptuous, but my main concern is having the the best players on the field (each having the most experience possible), come playoffs.

If Sutton is that guy, let's get him out there and find out and develop him, as soon as possibe.

BurghBoy412
08-28-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping by the end of the season it will be Burns and Sutton on the outside with Hilton playing the Slot. Then have Gay take over for Golden.

teegre
08-28-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm hoping by the end of the season it will be Burns and Sutton on the outside with Hilton playing the Slot. Then have Gay take over for Golden.

Cut & paste this in every thread.

Really.

Oh... and, I sent Tomlin an email: coolshades@defendingeveryblade.com

Mojouw
08-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Gay is kinda light for a safety. And a tad short.

Either he sticks at slot corner - or his career is likely over. Unless they want to get really clever about how they use guys on defense and have him slide down to the LB level.

But Butler has not done anything really clever or innovative to date. So...

teegre
08-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Gay is kinda light for a safety. And a tad short.

I'd take a broken lawn chair over Golden.

Mojouw
08-28-2017, 09:03 PM
I'd take a broken lawn chair over Golden.

Good point - as would I. I would take some of those traffic cones the team used to line up at offensive line.

But Butler has given zero evidence that he is a "flexible", "innovative", or "adaptive" thinker. About the only thing non-standard I can recall him doing is deploying Gilbert on Kelce last season and moving Timmons around late in the year in a desperate bid to add some juice to the pass rush.

Most DC's are going to look at Gay and say "CB" and move on.

Dwinsgames
08-28-2017, 09:22 PM
we Might have a Golden on the final 53 .... it just might not be Robbie /shrug

Personally I would rather have that guy be Jacob Hagen but it could be Golden

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Golden is the New Blake first Episode airs Sunday September 10th at 1 pm on CBS.

BlackAndGold
08-28-2017, 10:51 PM
Special teams matter, so guys like Golden/DHB matter.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Special teams matter, so guys like Golden/DHB matter. DHB is mostly likely gone and now with the new kickoff rules special teams players are overrated. Golden will stay only cause we need back up bodies in our secondary even as horrible as he is.

Dwinsgames
08-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Special teams matter, so guys like Golden/DHB matter.

it was Jacob Hagen who caused the fumble on ST preseason week 2 that Hilton recovered so I wouldnt over estimate Golden there as I am not sure he has ever created a ST fumble in his career and Tomlin does like his splash plays ...

but honestly who knows we are all guessing , truth be told our 4th safety may not even be on the current roster ??

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 12:25 AM
DHB is mostly likely gone and now with the new kickoff rules special teams players are overrated. Golden will stay only cause we need back up bodies in our secondary even as horrible as he is.

I'll be somewhat surprised if he doesn't make the roster if they do indeed keep 6 WR's.

Thought Hunter had a chance, but he hasn't impressed, he also doesn't play ST. I'm hoping some team(Bears/Jets) thinks he's good enough and gives us some depth at another position.

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 12:34 AM
it was Jacob Hagen who caused the fumble on ST preseason week 2 that Hilton recovered so I wouldnt over estimate Golden there as I am not sure he has ever created a ST fumble in his career and Tomlin does like his splash plays ...

but honestly who knows we are all guessing , truth be told our 4th safety may not even be on the current roster ??

Golden covers kicks/punts very good, and tackles well on ST. (Fumbles are mostly caused by bad ball carrying)

You can look at all the other 31 teams in the NFL and they'll have guys that can not play a lick of offense/defense but their good play on ST earns them a spot. Remember the 2009 season with that horrible special team unit? Tomlin, and co do not want a repeat that. so they highly value players like DHB, and Golden, and so should fans.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Golden covers kicks/punts very good, and tackles well on ST. (Fumbles are mostly caused by bad ball carrying)

You can look at all the other 31 teams in the NFL and they'll have guys that can not play a lick of offense/defense but their good play on ST earns them a spot. Remember the 2009 season with that horrible special team unit? Tomlin, and co do not want a repeat that. so they highly value players like DHB, and Golden, and so should fans.

much of this is over blown , go check out DHB per example , we always hear how great he is on ST ... the guy averages 4 tackles a year since he has been on the team so 1 tackle every 4 games ...( from memory as I checked it out a week or so ago , haven't bothered with Golden as it would be more difficult since he does play some def from time to time )

Hagen can play ST too to force a fumble you have to be in pos to make the tackle ... Hagens arrow points up and Robert Golden arrow points down in terms to playing on this defense .

SteelMayhem72
08-29-2017, 10:46 PM
Dude will be a full on starter by week 3

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk