PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Should Avoid Approaching TE As Though They Have A Starter

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 11:15 AM
While the Pittsburgh Steelers certainly bear some responsibility for the position that they find themselves in at tight end on the offensive side of the ball, the reality is that they do not have among them any player at the position who should be regarded as a full-time starter.

And I can’t help but wonder if it would be in the Steelers’ best interests to avoid attempting to force the issue with Jesse James, who seems to be more of a Matt Spaeth than Heath Miller. Yes, he is young, and yes, he is still developing, but while he is young and developing, he is not giving the team the quality of play that his reps would suggest.

The former fifth-round draft pick out of Penn State is a classic jack of all trades at the position while being a master of none. He can perform at least passably in all of his responsibilities often enough, but there is nothing at which he excels, nor executes with consistency.

Being a local product, he has a built-in fan base, and I’m sure that they won’t be all that thrilled with this article, but I think it would be wise for the coaching staff to approach the position this year with the assumption that they do not have a starting tight end, and instead tackle the assignments by committee.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-avoid-approaching-te-though-starter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

j-d-s
08-28-2017, 07:45 PM
I've heard there's a guy still out there who caught 1000 yards and 9 TDs for the Browns of all teams two years ago. Seems to be called "Gary" or something. Why don't sign that guy?

BurghBoy412
08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
I've heard there's a guy still out there who caught 1000 yards and 9 TDs for the Browns of all teams two years ago. Seems to be called "Gary" or something. Why don't sign that guy?

Everyones gonna tell you it'll cost too much.

BlackAndGold
08-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Wonder if the Bills would trade Charles Clay?

No reports of him being on the block, but it's not like the Bills are interested in winning.

DesertSteel
08-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Season hasn't even started yet... James has progressed each year; if he continues to improve, he'll be more alright than people on here want to acknowledge.

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Season hasn't even started yet... James has progressed each year; if he continues to improve, he'll be more alright than people on here want to acknowledge.

The upside is very low, which is the problem.

I do not think James can have at least 10 yards per catch with 30-40 catch or being a good red zone target.

GBMelBlount
08-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Exactly.

Plus we are loaded at WR AND have a running back that also produces like a 2nd receiver.

You can only do so much.

While I wanted a TE in the draft, I guess we will have to settle for ONLY having the top 2-3 ranked offense in the league.

Mojouw
08-28-2017, 09:01 PM
It isn't that the Steelers need their TE to be a star or even a significant weapon. They just need a guy who can be a viable threat against NFL defenses in all phases. They don't have that right now.

If they put in the Johnson/McGee/Hubbard - their lack of receiving capability essentially tips the hand of that formation.

If it's Grimble - his inability to adequately block means the defense can favor the pass out of that alignment.

With James, his inability to really do much of anything means the defense can "relax" on one guy.

That's the problem, at least for me. It has very little to do with the contributions of the TE position to the stat sheet. It has to do with how having 3-4 incomplete TEs on the roster means you really don't have even 1. When certain guys are in certain formations, the defense can throw out at least 25-35% of the playbook.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-28-2017, 10:12 PM
I've heard there's a guy still out there who caught 1000 yards and 9 TDs for the Browns of all teams two years ago. Seems to be called "Gary" or something. Why don't sign that guy? Yep shame he was not brought in for a look.

86WARD
08-29-2017, 09:59 PM
There must be a reason a lot of teams haven't brought him in. The Ravens could use some serious TE help with Pitta being out and they haven't signed him yet. Bills, Jags to name a couple more...