PDA

View Full Version : My Official Prediction for the 2017 season

st33lersguy
08-27-2017, 11:33 PM
Here is my official game by game prediction of the upcoming Steelers season including postseason and late season scenarios

Game 1 @ Browns: The Browns figure to be in the gutter of the NFL yet again albeit better by mere default. Still the last 2 years in Cleveland, this has been a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter before the Steelers pulled away and I figure the pattern to continue. Steelers win 21-9 1-0

Game 2 vs Vikings: A Pittsburgh offense that usually is clicking at home vs a Minnesota offense that should be anemic. At home Pittsburgh's offense has a great day and wins big in the season opener. Steelers win 30-7 2-0.

Game 3 @ Bears: The typical Tomlin hiccup on th road against the losing team is this game. Tomlin is 0-2 against the Bears and I think Bears QB TBD has a good day while Ben throws a couple costly INTs. Steelers lose 24-21 2-1

Game 4 @ Ravens: Ben has always struggled to put up points in Baltimore since the start of his career. Another anemic offensive performance in B'more leads to defeat. Steelers lose 24-10 2-2

Game 5 vs Jaguars: Not buying the Jags free agent spending spree. They're still garbage. Plus Ben has been near unbeatable at home in October the last few years. Steelers win 45-24 3-2.

Game 6 @ Chiefs: Home team has won the last 4 regualr season games, plus you better believe the Chiefs will be out for revenge after that playoff defeat. A couple costly turnovers sink Pittsburgh. Steelers lose 20-17 3-3

Game 7 vs Bengals: Steelers own the Bengals. Bengals will be even worse than last year without their 2 best O-linemen. The Bengals will put up a fight, but still blow it like always. Steelers win 28-23 4-3

Game 8 @ Lions: This seems like a prime letdown spot for the Steelers, however after numerous comeback victories last year, Lions run out of luck this year. and blow numerous games. Steelers gut out a close come from behind win here. Steelers win 27-21 OT 5-3

Game 9 @ Colts: Ben has owned the Colts D in recent years, even when the Colts had Luck healthy, they still won by 17. I'm basing this prediction off of Luck playing, if he does, he'll score points, but it will not be enough as Ben and AB torch the Colts yet again. Steelers win 37-28 6-3

Game 10 vs Titans: Due to being an improving young team and playing a very easy schedule, the Titans head into the game 8-1. Pittsburgh playing at home on prime time plays up to the competition and nets an impressive team win. Steelers win 24-17 7-3

Game 11 vs Packers. This will be one of the best games of the year. Big Ben vs Aaron Rodgers. The two combine for over 700 yards passing, 8 TDs, 0 INTs, and passer ratings well above 100. Whoever has the ball last wins the game, and that is Pittsburgh as Ben leads another come from behind win on Sunday Night Football scoring the winning TD with seconds left. Steelers win 38-34 8-3.

Game 12 @ Bengals. Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton, Bengals, primetime, I can hear the orange and black stripes choking months in advance. Cincinnati again plays hard and injures some people too, but their stupid and chokers so they blow a late lead and lose. Steelers win 22-21 9-3

Game 13 vs Ravens. Steelers have an opportunity to essentially (but not officially) lock up the division against a Ravens team hovering around .500, and they take advantage. They don't need a last second TD either this time as the offense runs over B'more and the defense plays better against Flacco. Steelers win 31-17 10-3

Game 14 vs Patriots. All that talk about planning to beat the Patriots, and sadly it is all for nothing. Brady has yet another monster day against the Steelers secondary and Big Ben is unable to keep up. Steelers lose comfortably and now have next to no chance of getting a first round bye. They still however clinch the division after Baltimore gets upset in Cleveland of all places . Steelers lose 38-24 10-4.

Game 15 vs Texans: With only the no. 3 instead of the no. 4 seed to play for, and away on Christmas Day playing teamtrying to stave off playoff elimination, the Steelers deliver a flat uninspiring performance in a dull game. Steelers lose 17-10 10-5

Game 16 vs Browns: Heading into the final week, the Steelers need a win and Titans loss to get the no. 3 seed, otherwise they get a no. 4 seed. They use the game as a tuneup playing the starters for one half and get out to a big lead. The backups coast the rest of the way. Steelers win, but a Titans win gives the no. 4 seed. Steelers win 31-7 11-5

Wildcard vs Broncos: Steelers play the Broncos, who return to the postseason on the strength of defense, in the rematch of the 2015 divisonal round heartbreaker. Steelers are home this time and Bell and AB are both back to amass over 100 yards each. Broncos are able to move the ball some, but it's not enough as the offense wins it. Steelers win 27-21.

Divisional Round vs Raiders: Steelers may have been able to get by Broncos starting QB TBD, but against Derek Carr and the Raiders top tier offense, their season ends. Carr torches the Steelers and throws for over 350 yards and 4 TDs. Meanwhile the offense is unable to keep up and Ben gives up a couple costly turnovers. Steelers lose 34-20 and half of Steeler Nation calls for everyone to get fired including Art Rooney II

Mojouw
08-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Sounds fair.

Anything that gets them to the Divisional Round or farther in the playoffs is a reasonable "success" for me. I feel the roster could go farther than that, but, man, just so much can happen over the course of the season.

Born2Steel
08-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Not going to nitpick predictions. Looks like a good season to me. I'll take it and let the playoffs play out as they will.

teegre
08-28-2017, 09:15 AM
19-0

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 10:16 AM
12-4 and a playoffs bye.

The raiders are very good, but their defense is not very good at the moment, so we can score a lot of point against them too.

For the chiefs, we have their number right now, so much so that we beat them with only field goals on their field in the playoffs....The chiefs could be a threat if they make a change at QB.

The only team we can't beat right now if our defense is not better are the patriots.

DesertSteel
08-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Secondary is still porous and the weak link of the team. The all-world offense still can't convert TDs in the red zone. That said, we go 12-4 and hope that Brady breaks his leg (God forgive me).

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 10:37 AM

It would be a big disappointment if our defense becomes mediocre after the second half of the season last year.

The competition was not very good, this is true but before the game against the packers in late November, the competition will not be better.

This defense has the talent, they need to do the next step, not a step back.

ALLD
08-28-2017, 11:20 AM
If the Steelers need to go to NE or the West Coast for the playoffs they will be one and done. If they can host a playoff they can go at least as far as they did last year.

Moose
08-28-2017, 04:27 PM
I think I'm gonna wait until the Cleveland game to make my uneducated guess for the season. I still don't think much of our pass rush, secondary and pass coverage ( CB). And let's not think that this Cleveland game is s gimme, even with a 'rookie' Brown's QB, which scares the hell out of me. Again, how many bottom feeder's and rookie QB's beat the hell out of us. So, this marked ' W ' could start out as our first ' L '. I really don't think so, but, if the Steeler's can come out and play their game and WIN big.....like they should, then I say this team can be for real. Go Steeler's !

silver & black
08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Don't be so sure about that Raiders game. The Raiders' defense is just pathetic.

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Don't be so sure about that Raiders game. The Raiders' defense is just pathetic.

The talent is there in defense, but not the coaching for the raiders.Remember, with Jack Del Rio as DC of the broncos, the Broncos have underachieve in defense in 2014.

The following year with Wade Phillips, the Broncos had easily the best defense of the nfl and only the 2013 seahawks were better since 2010.

Rotorhead
08-28-2017, 05:28 PM
I think they will do well enough to make the NE game matter for the playoffs. I think that is the goal, make that game matter. So they will need to be within 1 game of NE at that time to be able to get the chance at the tie-breaker for homefield in the playoffs. I can see NE going 14-2 or 13-3 so we need to be at 3 losses or less by that game IMO. That being said, they can split with the Ravens, lose to the Packers (makes no difference as they are NFC) and lose one more they should have won to still have a chance at the #1 seed.

My prediction is 13-3 with the tie-breaker over a 13-3 NE.

BlackAndGold
08-29-2017, 12:41 AM

Also, that division looks like it'll be tough.

I know it's just pre season but Rivers looks like he could have a big year.

GBMelBlount
08-29-2017, 05:23 AM
I think they will do well enough to make the NE game matter for the playoffs. I think that is the goal, make that game matter.

So they will need to be within 1 game of NE at that time to be able to get the chance at the tie-breaker for homefield in the playoffs.

I can see NE going 14-2 or 13-3 so we need to be at 3 losses or less by that game IMO. That being said, they can split with the Ravens, lose to the Packers (makes no difference as they are NFC) and lose one more they should have won to still have a chance at the #1 seed.

My prediction is 13-3 with the tie-breaker over a 13-3 NE.

I agree.

I believe this season (injuries aside), will be determined by how well our defense gels.

I am not sure how the first half of this season will go,

but I do believe that we will finish strong and go into the playoffs with momentum.

We have the personnel.

Iron Steeler
08-29-2017, 07:53 AM
19-0

yes...

The team has to get this " lets make just make it to the play-offs" mentality out of their heads.

WE NEED TO HOST THE AFCCG . w