PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Grimble could aid in the reemergence of Steeler tight ends

polamalubeast
08-27-2017, 05:12 PM
That young receiver from Southern California made another nice impression for the Steelers Saturday night, did he not?

Rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster? Well, yes, their second-round draft choice did OK too with three catches for 31 yards around a temporary absence after he took a hit on his knee.

Then there was the other receiver from USC, not quite as heralded — tight end Xavier Grimble. The Steelers scored one touchdown in their 19-15 loss to Indianapolis at Heinz Field and Grimble was the one who caught it, with one hand over a cornerback on a 10-yard pass from Landry Jones.

That was one of three receptions for Grimble, the first time he has caught a pass or been targeted in a game this preseason. Yet on an offense whose supposed only weak spot is tight end, Grimble, starter Jesse James and old vet David Johnson are trying to correct that impression.

“That’s kind of the tight ends’ role, man,” Grimble said. “We do the dirty work: Pass block, run block, pass protection, try to catch passes, make combat catches. We have an important part in this offense no matter what anybody says. Everybody [on the team] knows they need us to play at a high level so the offense can, you know …”

Click?

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/27/X-Marks-the-Spot-for-Steelers-Xavier-Grimble-tight-end-roster-cuts-Stephon-Tuitt-Kevin-Colbert/stories/201708270170

Born2Steel
08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Grimble played the entire game against the Colts. I think maybe testing his conditioning. He made a pretty tough catch for the TD. Well, tough for me. I wasn't sure if he would make this 53, now I'm thinking he's very much back in it. James will start and be the all-purpose TE, Grimble as the pass catching threat, and Johnson/McGee as the run blocker. I'm thinking only 3 will make it.

Mojouw
08-28-2017, 12:08 PM
If the Steelers TE group hopes to be anything other than pretty bad, Grimble has to have one helluva year.

He is the only TE on the roster that can stretch defenses down the seam. But he has to consistently hang on to the darn ball.

He has the size to be an adequate or better blocker. But he has to actually do it.

I could go on and on. Grimble is the only player currently on the roster who could be a "do it all" TE. Not a star or anything, but more than adequate.

Born2Steel
08-28-2017, 12:14 PM
If the Steelers TE group hopes to be anything other than pretty bad, Grimble has to have one helluva year.

He is the only TE on the roster that can stretch defenses down the seam. But he has to consistently hang on to the darn ball.

He has the size to be an adequate or better blocker. But he has to actually do it.

I could go on and on. Grimble is the only player currently on the roster who could be a "do it all" TE. Not a star or anything, but more than adequate.

Exactly. IF..........I hope he will.

ALLD
08-28-2017, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking only 3 will make it.

I am thinking do we have 3 worth keeping?

polamalubeast
08-28-2017, 05:53 PM
I prefer to see Xavier Grimble as starter than Jesse James.

I never figured out why James is a clear cut-starter when he's very limited.

Iron Steeler
08-29-2017, 09:12 AM
we should have drafted george Kittle