PDA

View Full Version : Some Steelers receivers have gone from playoff starters to roster bubble

polamalubeast
08-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Seven months ago, Cobi Hamilton started the AFC championship against the New England Patriots. Now he’s a long shot to make the Steelers’ 53-man roster.

Things change quickly in the NFL, and Hamilton isn’t the only Steelers receiver with playoff experience who is on the roster bubble entering the third preseason game Saturday night at Heinz Field. Demarcus Ayers started an AFC divisional round game against Kansas City, and Darrius Heyward-Bey, a veteran of seven playoff games, got the start in the wild-card game against the Dolphins.

The reasons all three are in danger of being cut in two weeks is their collective performance in those games. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn’t mention any receivers by name, but he was critical of some young players following the 36-17 loss to the Patriots. In addition to Hamilton dropping a pass in the end zone in the second quarter, Sammie Coates dropped a pass deep down the field in the first quarter. “At times, it felt like maybe it was too big for some of the young guys.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/25/Steelers-receivers-Darrius-Heyward-Bey-Sammie-Coates-Cobi-Hamilton-Demarcus-Ayers-53-man-roster-cuts/stories/201708250170

Steeldude
08-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Trade Coates for a draft pick.

polamalubeast
08-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Trade Coates for a draft pick.

Horrible idea, especially if it's a late pick....If I would trade Coates, it would only be for a position of need(Safety,corner)

43Hitman
08-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Horrible idea, especially if it's a late pick....If I would trade Coates, it would only be for a position of need(Safety,corner)
This. I doubt we will though because Bryant is still a question mark. I'm praying for him to stay on the straight and narrow, however, one slip up and he's done.

Steeldude
08-25-2017, 11:18 PM

It wouldn't be higher than a 3rd rounder. It would most like be a 5th round, perhaps a late 4th round pick. It is better than just cutting him. IMO, Coates is extremely overrated by the Steelers' fanbase.

And yes, it would be for a position of need.