PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Marcus Gilbert's agent discuss contract

polamalubeast
08-24-2017, 05:34 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers and Marcus Gilbert's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have met in person to discuss the right tackle’s contract.

Gilbert, one of the game’s best at the position who enters the fourth season of a six-year, $30.8 million deal, told ESPN that Rosenhaus spoke with the Steelers on his behalf last week but he didn’t know where things stood.

Talks are believed to be preliminary/exploratory since Gilbert isn't a free agent until 2020.

Asked about a potential new deal in the future, Gilbert said he’d love to stay in Pittsburgh long term and “leave behind a big legacy” with a high-level Steelers offensive line.

“Hopefully that’s what talks are going on between my agent and upstairs with Kevin Colbert, but it’s not in my hands,” Gilbert said. “I need to worry about one thing. That’s why I pay Drew.”

read more

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/24769/steelers-marcus-gilberts-agent-discuss-contract

43Hitman
08-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Arguably the best RT in the game, you're damn skippy the Steelers will try to keep him.

AtlantaDan
08-24-2017, 06:26 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers and Marcus Gilbert's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have met in person to discuss the right tackle’s contract.

Gilbert, one of the game’s best at the position who enters the fourth season of a six-year, $30.8 million deal, told ESPN that Rosenhaus spoke with the Steelers on his behalf last week but he didn’t know where things stood.

Talks are believed to be preliminary/exploratory since Gilbert isn't a free agent until 2020.

Asked about a potential new deal in the future, Gilbert said he’d love to stay in Pittsburgh long term and “leave behind a big legacy” with a high-level Steelers offensive line.

“Hopefully that’s what talks are going on between my agent and upstairs with Kevin Colbert, but it’s not in my hands,” Gilbert said. “I need to worry about one thing. That’s why I pay Drew.”

read more

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/24769/steelers-marcus-gilberts-agent-discuss-contract

If his contract expires after the 2019 season then Gilbert will get a new contract no earlier than going into the 2019 season - that is how the Steelers handle everyone other than the franchise QB

Since Drew Rosenhaus represents Antonio Brown he knows the drill. Steelers frontloaded some $$ in AB's contract the past few seasons when Rosenhaus was making noises about a new contract, which was not negotiated until AB was entering the last year on his contract

I suppose Gilbert might get that although Steelers presumably do not want to get in the habit of reworking any player's contract if they have performed well midway through the contract unless there are other contracts that require an adjustment to address salary cap issues

IMO getting Tuitt's new deal done is job one at the moment

ALLD
08-24-2017, 07:01 PM
I remember when Gilbert was having problems early in his career. He got drafted when the OL was in a shambles and did not produce early. Then Mike Adams came in with lots of promise and Gilbert got grouped in with his low output.

Gilbert has since turned it around and excelled while Adams is gone. Good luck to him I hope he retires a Steeler.

tube517
08-24-2017, 08:45 PM
I remember when Gilbert was having problems early in his career. He got drafted when the OL was in a shambles and did not produce early. Then Mike Adams came in with lots of promise and Gilbert got grouped in with his low output.

Gilbert has since turned it around and excelled while Adams is gone. Good luck to him I hope he retires a Steeler.

Gilbert turned it around when Munchak was hired.