PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin says Senquez Golson has to practice to stay with the Steelers

polamalubeast
08-24-2017, 04:30 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Senquez Golson won't be a Pittsburgh Steeler this year if he doesn't return to the practice field.

The 2015 second-round pick out of Ole Miss missed all of his rookie campaign with a shoulder injury, began 2016 camp as the Steelers' starting slot corner only to suffer a Lisfranc injury on the team's first day in pads then injuring his left hamstring on the first day in pads a year later.

Golson hasn't rejoined practice since, though he did work in a rehab group on side fields in Latrobe. And on the final day of practice before the Steelers' "dress rehearsal" preseason game against the Indianapolis Colts head coach Mike Tomlin said Golson needs to if he wants to stay with the team.

"That would be a safe assessment, certainly," Tomlin said.

read more

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/08/mike_tomlin_golson_steelers.html#incart_river_inde x

Shoes
08-24-2017, 06:23 PM
He has practiced. In three years he practiced 7 times and completed 5 of them. Pretty good deal & payday. Flush him, can't imagine what would happen to him if he took a hit in a real game.

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Golson's NFL career = Cash grab

Mojouw
08-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Golson's NFL career = Cash grab

So that would mean he is either faking, causing, or milking his injuries. Pretty bold claim - got any evidence for that?

I mean Golson is a bust at this point, but leveling the personal attacks is just vindictive hot take nonsense.

Shoes
08-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Golson can't have much respect with his teammates, they probably don't know who he is. I remember when Laduras Green missed a bunch of practices and his Steeler teammates were rolling their eyes over it. Busting your ass together has a lot to do with team building and Golson hasn't done that. Time to give Cortez Allen a ring to pull that river barge up to the point and take on passenger Golson.

SteelerFanInStl
08-24-2017, 07:08 PM
So that would mean he is either faking, causing, or milking his injuries. Pretty bold claim - got any evidence for that?

I mean Golson is a bust at this point, but leveling the personal attacks is just vindictive hot take nonsense.

I agree, and not even close to being correct from everything that I've read. He's just been extremely unlucky.

AtlantaDan
08-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Golson can't have much respect with his teammates, they probably don't know who he is. I remember when Laduras Green missed a bunch of practices and his Steeler teammates were rolling their eyes over it. Busting your ass together has a lot to do with team building and Golson hasn't done that. Time to give Cortez Allen a ring to pull that river barge up to the point and take on passenger Golson.

The guy is injury prone - doubtful it is his choice to sit out and lose the possibility of being financially set for life by being a long term starter in the NFL

If the Steelers players should have been rolling their eyes about anything related to Green it was for the front office signing someone with a bad ankle that still hadn't healed when he was released and a concussion history that was underestimated by someone

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 07:23 PM

I mean Golson is a bust at this point, but leveling the personal attacks is just vindictive hot take nonsense.I was kidding around fella. Maybe you should relax a little. Since you wanted to go there. What evidence do you have to contradict my statement? Why would you personally attack my stance? Vindictive, hot take? Do you have something to gain personally by protecting a lame duck like Golson?

ALLD
08-24-2017, 07:28 PM
I believe he can apply for an insurance settlement if he retires too.

Shoes
08-24-2017, 07:34 PM
There is a difference in people and how bad they want something. Anyone remember Sean Spence?

Iron Steeler
08-24-2017, 07:40 PM
do we really think he is faking or milkingthe injury.

why would he do that?

- - - Updated - - -

does he choose when he is clear to play or a dr?

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 07:40 PM
There is a difference in people and how bad they want something. Anyone remember Sean Spence?Exactly! How many players have been through injury after injury refusing to be denied. Refusing to give up. You have guys like Thomas Davis that refuse to let the game be taken away from them. Then you have guys like Golson who get injured and haven't the heart to fight through. Golson had a great health record coming out of College. He hits the Pros and gets injured and boom. You see the real person. Adversity makes you or as in Golsons case. It breaks you.

Iron Steeler
08-24-2017, 07:48 PM
couldn't we just put him on the practice squad?
Lets be real, we need as mich secondary help as we can get. And there has to be a reason we have kept him this long...

you all would/will ne crying if we cut him and he becomes an all pro for the patriots

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 07:50 PM

why would he do that?

- - - Updated - - -

does he choose when he is clear to play or a dr?Why wouldn't he? Only he tells the med staff his symptoms. Why would they clear him if he says he's injured?

Shoes
08-24-2017, 07:52 PM

why would he do that?

- - - Updated - - -

does he choose when he is clear to play or a dr?

I don't think he is faking, I just don't believe he has the drive, kinda like Mendenhall.

Iron Steeler
08-24-2017, 07:55 PM
His tape coming out of college he looked like the honey badger 2.0. I would like to see this guy give one season inder his belt to see what hes got.

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 07:58 PM
couldn't we just put him on the practice squad?
Lets be real, we need as mich secondary help as we can get. And there has to be a reason we have kept him this long...

you all would/will ne crying if we cut him and he becomes an all pro for the patriotsI'd rather see them cut Cockrell and give Golson more time.

teegre
08-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Exactly! How many players have been through injury after injury refusing to be denied. Refusing to give up. You have guys like Thomas Davis that refuse to let the game be taken away from them. Then you have guys like Golson who get injured and haven't the heart to fight through. Golson had a great health record coming out of College. He hits the Pros and gets injured and boom. You see the real person. Adversity makes you or as in Golsons case. It breaks you.

That actually makes the case for keeping Golson.

Imagine if the Panthers had cut Thomas Davis after his second (or even his third) season-ending injury. Likewise, what if the Steelers had cut their losses with Sean Spence. Or, Greg Lloyd.

Golson hasn't been given a chance to "refuse to give up"; he has simply been injured. I mean, it's not like Thomas Davis came out of the hospital and played in 2010...

BurghBoy412
08-24-2017, 08:17 PM
That actually makes the case for keeping Golson.

Imagine if the Panthers had cut Thomas Davis after his second (or even his third) season-ending injury. Likewise, what if the Steelers had cut their losses with Sean Spence. Or, Greg Lloyd.

Golson hasn't been given a chance to "refuse to give up"; he has simply been injured. I mean, it's not like Thomas Davis came out of the hospital and played in 2010...I'd much rather the team keep Golson and let Cockrell go. You already know what you have with Cockrell. Maybe Golson will be a come back story for the ages.

Iron Steeler
08-24-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd much rather the team keep Golson and let Cockrell go. You already know what you have with Cockrell. Maybe Golson will be a come back story for the ages.

My views as well...

Can someone explain how the practice squad works?

Shoes
08-24-2017, 08:40 PM
My views as well...

Can someone explain how the practice squad works?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/26138-How-NFL-practice-squads-work

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Put me in for releasing Cockroll regardless what happens to Golson. Also I'm all for Tomlin's stance on Golson and glad he said what he said.

BlackAndGold
08-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Golson has a bad tear in his hamstring, I'm not shocked at all he hasn't returned.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-24-2017, 11:53 PM
True injuries but really it's becoming a joke and the guy should be behind a desk playing fantasy football. Never should walk on a football field again.

43Hitman
08-25-2017, 03:42 AM

86WARD
08-25-2017, 07:13 AM
I don't think he is faking, I just don't believe he has the drive, kinda like Mendenhall.

Had to bring up that name didn't you. Ugh...there's only two other names, maybe three, that make me throw up in my mouth like that.

Iron Steeler
08-25-2017, 08:13 AM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/26138-How-NFL-practice-squads-work

thanks shoes...

guys this seems like a no brainer... if Golson is not healthy by the forth preseason game lets put him om the practice squad.

Essentilly its a perfect dit fpr golson... someone who moght have high potential and ypu cam shelf for a low cost.

Born2Steel
08-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Golson had a HUGE senior year that elevated him to a 2nd round pick. The guy does have skills. His injuries have all been with different body parts. Saying the upside is he doesn't have chronic soft tissue issues. Basically you are unable to tackle with the shoulder injury, although Blake played one armed. You cannot run with a lis-franc injury. And very limited with a hamstring depending on it's severity. All this to say that I do not put blame on Golson for not being able to play. I do think it's time to move on if he cannot make any preseason games this year. If he can play at all, show some 2nd round grade play, look like a football player against live competition, then PS him. If he cannot do those things, he has to go to make room for someone else.

Mojouw
08-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Could also put him on the PUP and buy yourself six more weeks to think about it.

steelreserve
08-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Could also put him on the PUP and buy yourself six more weeks to think about it.

Nah, since he actually stepped on the practice field with the team, he can't go to PUP. That's only for people who were injured before the start of training camp and couldn't practice at all (or in Casey Hampton's case, too fat to practice with the team). Unfortunately, if you get injured in the first minute of the first practice, it's IR or nothing.

Sucks, because otherwise PUP would have been the perfect thing for this.

Mojouw
08-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Nah, since he actually stepped on the practice field with the team, he can't go to PUP. That's only for people who were injured before the start of training camp and couldn't practice at all (or in Casey Hampton's case, too fat to practice with the team). Unfortunately, if you get injured in the first minute of the first practice, it's IR or nothing.

Sucks, because otherwise PUP would have been the perfect thing for this.

Ahhh! Okay. Well, that kinda sucks.

Most likely gets cut then.