PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger takes his rightful spot among the Top Tier QBs in the NFL

polamalubeast
08-24-2017, 03:01 PM
No. 3 — Ben Roethlisberger

Previous Rankings:
2014: 7th
2015: 4th
2016: 3rd

The 50th and final ballot collected broke a tie between Roethlisberger and Drew Brees for the third overall spot. Roethlisberger checks several of the Tier 1 boxes. He can carry the Steelers' offense and win playoff games doing so. The question was whether Roethlisberger did these things consistently enough to earn the highest respect.

"There is nothing that is not a [Tier] 1 about that guy," an offensive coordinator argued. "He is awesome. I heard that at their quarterback meetings, they sit and talk about golf, and he just goes out there and he is just competing and winging it and he kills everybody every week. He saves plays with his feet, he moves around and it is never too big for him."

A defensive coordinator who placed Roethlisberger in the top tier cursed six times in his first six sentences when asked about the Steelers' quarterback. Those were curse words born of respect from years of playing against Roethlisberger. "I am looking at this and saying if you put it on his shoulders every time, I think he can consistently win," this defensive coordinator said. "If you said, 'All right, Ben, we need you to throw it 55 times this game, as a defensive coordinator, I'm thinking, 'F---.'"

That might have been what the Broncos were thinking in Week 15 of the 2015 season, which was the last time Roethlisberger attempted that many passes. Denver owned one of the greatest defenses in recent NFL history that season. Roethlisberger completed 40 of 55 attempts for 380 yards and three scores as Pittsburgh overcame a 27-13 halftime deficit to win the game. It was a Tier 1 performance, for sure.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2017/8/24/16193476/ben-roethlisberger-takes-his-rightful-spot-among-the-top-tier-qbs-in-the-nfl-espn-insider-steelers

BlackAndGold
08-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Believe he will have a MVP caliber year.

He has the best weapons of any QB in the NFL. Once Bryant gets truly back and regains form, he and Brown are the best WR duo in the league. Bell is the best RB, and also has one of the best o-lines in all of football protecting him.

No excuses.

polamalubeast
08-24-2017, 03:07 PM

He has the best weapons of any QB in the NFL. Once Bryant gets truly back and regains form, he and Brown are the best WR duo in the league. Bell is the best RB, and also has one of the best o-lines in all of football protecting him.

No excuses.

Maybe,but this is more important to be healthy and hot at the right time and of course be better on the road.

ALLD
08-24-2017, 03:42 PM
The defense is the weak spot. As far as talent goes the 2017 Steelers > 1979 Steelers offensively. Now the 1979 team may have more heart and discipline however.

Ben > Bradshaw regular season & playoffs. Bradshaw > Ben in SBs.

Ben needs to focus on leading the team to a SB victory even if it means allowing him to call more of his own plays.

AtlantaDan
08-24-2017, 04:05 PM
No. 3 — Ben Roethlisberger

"There is nothing that is not a [Tier] 1 about that guy," an offensive coordinator argued. "He is awesome. I heard that at their quarterback meetings, they sit and talk about golf, and he just goes out there and he is just competing and winging it and he kills everybody every week. He saves plays with his feet, he moves around and it is never too big for him."

Ben still rolls with that image but his sandlot days left starting with the departure of Arians and have been gone for the past several years - he has cut down on his sacks and the physical beatings by reading defenses and getting rid of the ball

FWIW the link below to the ESPN article (may be behind paywall) confirms that Joe Flacco is not elite

Tier 3

#15 Joe Flacco

"I don't know what to think on him," a GM said. "I've never been impressed with the way he reads the field and the decisions he makes. He can throw the deep ball well. He is too inconsistent. He is certainly not a 1. He is either a 2 or a 3. I say 3."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/20400339/2017-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers

- - - Updated - - -

The defense is the weak spot. As far as talent goes the 2017 Steelers > 1979 Steelers offensively. Now the 1979 team may have more heart and discipline however.

Along with 5 players in Canton - this team might have three (Ben, AB and if he stays healthy Bell)

When watching games of that 1979 team on YouTube (including scoring TDs on 3 opening possessions against a very good Dolphins defense to go up 20-0) and seeing how good a receiver Franco was, that 1979 offense would have shredded teams with the way the game is officiated today

Damage against the Dolphins is done in the first 30 minutes of this replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19ANA-Rpks

polamalubeast
08-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Along with 5 players in Canton - this team might have three (Ben, AB and if he stays healthy Bell)

Ben is a lock, Brown is close, We'll see for Bell, but without a doubt he has the talent.He need to be healthy more often.

AtlantaDan
08-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Ben is a lock, Brown is close, We'll see for Bell, but without a doubt he has the talent.He need to be healthy more often.

Agreed - I certainly do not see 5

86WARD
08-25-2017, 07:22 AM

No excuses.

He won't have all those weapons at once. I'm guessing, maybe 8 games they will all be together. Ben, Brown, Bryant, Bell

BlackAndGold
08-25-2017, 07:22 PM
He won't have all those weapons at once. I'm guessing, maybe 8 games they will all be together. Ben, Brown, Bryant, Bell

:noidea:

Who knows, maybe they're together for all 16 games and lose all 16 of them. Can speculate all day.

tube517
08-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Ben still rolls with that image but his sandlot days left starting with the departure of Arians and have been gone for the past several years - he has cut down on his sacks and the physical beatings by reading defenses and getting rid of the ball

FWIW the link below to the ESPN article (may be behind paywall) confirms that Joe Flacco is not elite

Tier 3

#15 Joe Flacco

"I don't know what to think on him," a GM said. "I've never been impressed with the way he reads the field and the decisions he makes. He can throw the deep ball well. He is too inconsistent. He is certainly not a 1. He is either a 2 or a 3. I say 3."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/20400339/2017-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers

- - - Updated - - -

When watching games of that 1979 team on YouTube (including scoring TDs on 3 opening possessions against a very good Dolphins defense to go up 20-0) and seeing how good a receiver Franco was, that 1979 offense would have shredded teams with the way the game is officiated today

Damage against the Dolphins is done in the first 30 minutes of this replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W19ANA-Rpks

If that 79 team had protected the football, they would have scored much more. They led the league in turnovers despite scoring so many points.

polamalubeast
08-25-2017, 08:03 PM
If that 79 team had protected the football, they would have scored much more. They led the league in turnovers despite scoring so many points.

First in yards,points and Turnovers....I think the only others team to do it was the 2001 Rams.

ALLD
08-26-2017, 06:41 AM
On paper, the 2017 offense > 1979 offense, but there is the disclaimer of heart, discipline and marijuana policy. The 1979 team was also comprised entirely of Steeler draft picks. That will never happen again.

DesertSteel
08-26-2017, 09:07 AM
On paper, the 2017 offense > 1979 offense, but there is the disclaimer of heart, discipline and marijuana policy. The 1979 team was also comprised entirely of Steeler draft picks. That will never happen again.
Who on the 2017 Steelers starting offense was drafted by another team?

polamalubeast
08-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Who on the 2017 Steelers starting offense was drafted by another team?

Among the starters on offense/defense, only Mike Mitchell and the 2nd CB were drafted by other teams.

polamalubeast
08-26-2017, 09:19 AM
The talent on offense between 1979 and 2017 is comparable

5 HOF in 1979,2 or 3 in 2017, but this year the steelers have at least 7 pro bowl caliber players in their offense.5 players have been selected to the pro bowl last year on offense and Gilbert and Bryant have the potential to be this year.