PDA

View Full Version : Film Room: T.J. Watt’s Quiet Success Versus The Run

Shoes
08-24-2017, 07:39 AM
A lot of attention over the summer has been paid to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ rookie first-round draft pick, outside linebacker T.J. Watt, and not for good reason. Though it hasn’t yet been made abundantly clear, it seems as though he is slated to be a starter, or at worst, receive a significant amount of playing time.
The rookie impressed in his preseason debut, albeit partially on the strength of two relatively easy sacks, but seemed to have a more quiet evening the following game against the Falcons. Still, while he may not have generated as much pressure, I thought that he did some good things, particularly against the run.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/film-room-t-j-watts-quiet-success-versus-run/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/film-room-t-j-watts-quiet-success-versus-run/)

Steeldude
08-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Great, but if he can't get to the QB then the Steelers will need to draft another OLB next year. I want him to excel in all areas of the OLB position, but if he is poor to average at getting to the QB then he will be a bust.

I will say this, he needs to earn a starting spot/playing time.

86WARD
08-24-2017, 08:18 AM
We don't know what his assignments were against the Falcons so there's a good chance that maybe he wasn't supposed to pressure the QB as much this game. Maybe they were trying something different with him?

Hawkman
08-24-2017, 10:02 AM
We don't know what his assignments were against the Falcons so there's a good chance that maybe he wasn't supposed to pressure the QB as much this game. Maybe they were trying something different with him?

Isn't that PRESEASON is all about?
:thumbsup:

Born2Steel
08-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Watt was drafted 1st round to upgrade JJ at OLB. So far that is exactly what I see, an upgrade. OTAs, TC, Preseason games, he has looked and played well everywhere. I expect some growing pains but let's give him a complete season, maybe 2, before anointing him HoF or BUST.

ALLD
08-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Did JJ land on another team?

43Hitman
08-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Did JJ land on another team?Yeah, Steelers West. He's been injured though. I'm sure that's a surprise to everyone here. :chuckle:

steel striker
08-24-2017, 02:54 PM
TJ has to be better than Jarvis Jones was.

ALLD
08-24-2017, 03:44 PM
JJ = Golson = worker's comp lazy man.

DesertSteel
08-24-2017, 06:38 PM
He's a bust! Fire Butler!

Iron Steeler
08-24-2017, 07:43 PM
he didnt record a sack last game... so he pretty much sucks now

lipps83
08-24-2017, 08:28 PM
I expected more out of him at this point.

Craic
08-24-2017, 08:33 PM
He's a bust! Fire Butler!

I expected more out of him at this point.

:chuckle:

In all honesty, I was more impressed with him in the second game than I was in the first because he finally showed me a couple of things that I hadn't yet seen on tape. We all know he can get the easy sacks. By that I mean, he has good football acumen and won't miss any plays that are half-way handed to him. But in the last game, he was showing strength against a decent technique in an OT, which was something I hadn't yet seen.

All in all, I don't expect him to light it up this year. Maybe not even next year, but after his body finishes filling out and he has a couple of years on the weight bench building strength, then I'll be ready to pass a final judgment.