PDA

View Full Version : Leveon Bell rookie debut 2013

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 08:58 AM
week 2 preseason 2013 Bells rookie debut ...

4 carries - 9 yards

so those saying Conner is not Bell , they are correct he isnt , however Bell was not the Bell we all have ingrained in our minds at the same snapshot in time either ...

so I will be cautiously optimistic with the early results with Conner , he had a few issues but over all was a very nice performance ( far exceeding ) what Bell provided at the same exact point in time in their careers and that turned out pretty well

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
I never judge a rookie on his first game...I remember in 2014, Martavis Bryant had been bad at his first preseason game with several drops but he contributed in his rookie season.

Conner has talent, no doubt.

AtlantaDan
08-21-2017, 09:42 AM
week 2 preseason 2013 Bells rookie debut ...

4 carries - 9 yards...

Bell was not the Bell we all have ingrained in our minds at the same snapshot in time either ...

In some ways that was the Bell we have ingrained in our minds with regard to being unable to stay on the field - he missed 2013 preseason game one with a knee injury then injured his foot in his rookie debut game, which delayed his regular season debut to game 4

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193405/le-veon-bell) appears to have avoided a Lisfranc injury, but a foot sprain could still keep the rookie running back off the field for a significant amount of time, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette (https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/369970144019488768).
Injuries have been an issue for Bell in training camp, and he has already missed one preseason game due to a knee injury

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/20/4642052/leveon-bell-injury-steelers-lisfranc-nfl

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00/gamelog/2013/

salamander
08-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Right now my only view of Bell is that he's a greedy asshole, but that's for a different thread.

As for Conner, he had a very strong outing yesterday and I'll be very interested to see how he does against against 1st stringers over the course of an entire game.

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 10:41 AM
https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/899657028657979392

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 11:02 AM
https://tw (https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/899648485431144448)itter.com/evansilva/status/899648485431144448

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 11:06 AM
I think the truth lies in between the two extremes here.

Conner looked aggressive and decisive. He also left a ton of yards on the field due to drops, falling down a few times, not reading a few blocks, an unnecessary spin move, etc.

Most of his yards came against the 3rd and 4th string. Any RB that gets drafted should've been able to make those yards. It was his failures earlier in the game that have some (myself included) concerned.

Now, this is by no means arguing that the Steelers need to shine the DWILL signal into the night sky and hope he wants to sign. It simply means that Conner is not some superhero RB - he will need time to acclimate to the speed and suddenness of the NFL game. That's why we have preseason games. If Conner fails to improve in game #3 -- then we can all officially freak out.

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 11:11 AM
I think the truth lies in between the two extremes here.

Conner looked aggressive and decisive. He also left a ton of yards on the field due to drops, falling down a few times, not reading a few blocks, an unnecessary spin move, etc.

Most of his yards came against the 3rd and 4th string. Any RB that gets drafted should've been able to make those yards. It was his failures earlier in the game that have some (myself included) concerned.

Now, this is by no means arguing that the Steelers need to shine the DWILL signal into the night sky and hope he wants to sign. It simply means that Conner is not some superhero RB - he will need time to acclimate to the speed and suddenness of the NFL game. That's why we have preseason games. If Conner fails to improve in game #3 -- then we can all officially freak out.

Silva said and I quote
One of the worst RB performances of the weekend. Try to remove your bias that is complete and utter bullshit

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Silva said and I quote that is complete and utter bullshit

I don't know. I didn't watch any other RB performances. Silva is also a fantasy football guy and I personally don't give a crap about his eval of prospects.

However, Conner's debut was FAR from the home-run that most black and gold fans have it as. Let's be totally honest, until the 3rd and 4th stringers came into the game that was a pretty dismal performance by the Steelers all around. That being said, I could care less. It's preseason game #2 for goodness sakes. It's all going to be fine.

However, the excitement over Dobbs, Conner, Chickillo, and Dangerfield needs to be tempered by the level of competition that their "splash" plays came against. It certainly wasn't the Falcons frontline guys.

AtlantaDan
08-21-2017, 11:34 AM
I don't know. I didn't watch any other RB performances. Silva is also a fantasy football guy and I personally don't give a crap about his eval of prospects.

However, Conner's debut was FAR from the home-run that most black and gold fans have it as. Let's be totally honest, until the 3rd and 4th stringers came into the game that was a pretty dismal performance by the Steelers all around. That being said, I could care less. It's preseason game #2 for goodness sakes. It's all going to be fine.

However, the excitement over Dobbs, Conner, Chickillo, and Dangerfield needs to be tempered by the level of competition that their "splash" plays came against. It certainly wasn't the Falcons frontline guys.

It's preseason and all I want is to get through it without significant injuries to starters and others expected to contribute significantly

Maximum danger there this week since game 3 is when starters usually play the longest prior to many/most not playing in the last exhibition game

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 11:38 AM
It's preseason and all I want is to get through it without significant injuries to starters and others expected to contribute significantly

Maximum danger there this week since game 3 is when starters usually play the longest prior to many/most not playing in the last exhibition game

Yeah. I would have to agree completely with that!

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 12:42 PM
entire point was /is this ....

the man was dogging Conner after 1 preseason game where he averaged near 5 ypc and nearly 100 yard performance in his first ever pro action ...

I countered with the Bell scenario because it was an equal snapshot in time both players had missed time in training camp due to injury and both players where getting reps in their first preseason game week 2

so as equal of a snapshot in time as one can get ...

Conner out performed Bell in their first ever pro snaps ... does that mean Conner will be better than Bell , no , wasn't meant to signify that ( hell it is 1 meaningless preseason game )

what it was meant to show was look Bell was not so hot in his first action and he turned out ok , Conner did better so he will probably be ok too ....

ALLD
08-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Conner looks like he wants to break one for big yards. He just needs to get his hands and feet on the same page. He will be fine.