PDA

View Full Version : Good,bad and ugly vs Falcons

polamalubeast
08-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Who was our best and our worst players against the Falcons?

Our punter and our punt returner was our best players today for me

Golden and Vince Williams was atrocious in pass coverage.

Conner has been up and down but he has talent, no doubt....I hope his drops are a fluke!

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Golden and Cockrell were both bad. Hilton played well. Good punting and ST play. Conner ran hard but dropped a couple of passes.

No question that we still need some better depth in the secondary.

DesertSteel
08-20-2017, 06:37 PM
That defense, as constituted, is built to stop the Jaguars and Jets not the Falcons and Patriots. Major disappointment when the first team D was on the field. Lots to fix. Starting with getting Sutton on the field soon to see if he can unseat Cockrell (Ugh).

Only bright spots were Chick and Conner. Conner dropped some passes but he has the look of a 1,200 yard rusher in this league.

st33lersguy
08-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Golden is horrible, cockrell was ghastly, the first half defense was unwatchable. Connor aside from some mistakes did well, Dobbs showed poise under pressure, Hilton can flat out play

polamalubeast
08-20-2017, 06:54 PM

Edman
08-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Good:

Dobbs showed great improvement and poise, wasn't lost at all.
James Conner is as good as advertised
Mike Hilton is a baller.

Bad:

Early game pass protection
He still had a good game, but James Conner's jitters resulted in a few 'doh' plays.

Ugly:

-The Defense will be lit up for 40+ against Green Bay and New England at this rate.
-Ross Cockrell severely regressed to Cortez Allen/Antwon Blake levels. Don't be surprised if he ends up demoted mid-season.
-Vince Williams cannot cover.
-Robert Golden cannot cover either.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-20-2017, 07:39 PM
The good!
We are 2-0 for once in preseason
Conner look better later in the game and think he was to worried about running up field in the drop passes.
Dangerfield is a good backup
Hilton is a player along with 35 who had two huge plays in the game. The return and the break up pass deflection at the end.

The bad you guys pretty much nailed it with the D and specially Cockroll and Golden. Not surprised!

Mojouw
08-20-2017, 07:49 PM
35, Dangerfield, and Conner looked their best against dudes who won't be in the NFL in 3 weeks.

Steelers have noticeable depth concerns across the board.

There is reason for hope and the two lines will be fine but defensive depth at lb and db looks shaky as well as RB and Te.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurghBoy412
08-20-2017, 07:50 PM
1. Hopefully Conner will be the number 2 RB to start the season.
2. Some positives from Dangerfield even if it was against lesser competition.
3. Jordan Berry has a strong leg.
4. TJ Watt is stronger than I thought.
5. Martavis was rusty but he still has it.
6. Josh Dobbs is a solid 4th round pick. (His numbers would be even better if guys would catch the ball)
7. The secondary really needs Mike Mitchell to be out there. (luckily he is durable)
8. Jesse James wasn't spectacular but not awful by any stretch of the imagination. (TE should be addressed early in the 2018 draft)
9. Artie Burns had a solid showing.
10. My favorite player on this D is without a doubt Javon Har"grave digger". Hated seeing him leave early. Hope he's alright.

BlackAndGold
08-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Some of my thoughts, I'm on my phone, so sorry if any bad grammar.

I'm worried about the ILB position, If Shazier misses time, QB's will pick on both VW, and TM. Hopefully they look for someone on the trade block (is Mychal Kendricks still on the block?). Fort looked solid.

Golden should not be the 3rd safety over Dangerfield, ST play is why he makes the 53, Dangerfield is just solid all around as a backup. (A secondary that doesn't include Mike Mitchell isn't good, stop underrating that man.)

Cockrell...wtf happen man?? He was never this bad, did the Pats game ruin his confidence? surely not.

Dobbs, besides that one dumb rookie mistake(I have a hard time being tough on rookies) he was solid. If Connor didn't drop those 2/3? passes they could have developed into big gains, possibly put them in position to put points on the board, completely better outlook if those happen.

Hilton needs more looks as the slot CB over Gay, another player who doesn't fit the direction they want to go on defense.

McGee is making a case to be on the 53, it's time for the Grimble experiment to end. TE is another position I hope they can improve via trade(Niles Paul could come cheap, doesn't have size, but speedy receiving TE)

Could Trey Williams make a case for the 53 as a punt returner? hopefully they give him more looks. Stefan Logan years back made the roster doing exactly what TW did.

Special teams looked great, Jordan Berry was fantastic, 7 of his 8 punts landed inside the 20, great hang time also, coverage was amazing. (FYI, Rosie Nix a beast) Maybe Danny Smith can coach after all...DO IT AGAIN SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

I'll end it here, James Connor...besides those awful drops, man that guy can run with the football, the blocking helped(McGee) but he has an amazing abilty to change direction and showed great vision. I've said it before, he was a 1st round talent before the shitty cancer. He's not Bell, but I feel he can step in and be a #1 RB if Bell was to miss time, or leave in two years.

Born2Steel
08-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Bad:Cockrell was terrible today.
LB play was terrible (Anyone else watch DirtyRed get ran over for the Falcons score?)(How about VW in coverage?)
Secondary got toasted.
Pass blocking
Good:Special Teams played well.
Conner ran well.
Trey Williams(TD punt return), Dangerfield(2INTs), Nix(Blocked punt), and Run blocking.
Ugly:Not enough good LB play. Good depth at Dline. Should see more 4-2-5/4-3-4 defensive packages than last year. That's where the talent is on this defense.

Shoes
08-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Some of my thoughts, I'm on my phone, so sorry if any bad grammar.

I'm worried about the ILB position, If Shazier misses time, QB's will pick on both VW, and TM. Hopefully they look for someone on the trade block (is Mychal Kendricks still on the block?). Fort looked solid.

Golden should not be the 3rd safety over Dangerfield, ST play is why he makes the 53, Dangerfield is just solid all around as a backup. (A secondary that doesn't include Mike Mitchell isn't good, stop underrating that man.)

Cockrell...wtf happen man?? He was never this bad, did the Pats game ruin his confidence? surely not.

Dobbs, besides that one dumb rookie mistake(I have a hard time being tough on rookies) he was solid. If Connor didn't drop those 2/3? passes they could have developed into big gains, possibly put them in position to put points on the board, completely better outlook if those happen.

Hilton needs more looks as the slot CB over Gay, another player who doesn't fit the direction they want to go on defense.

McGee is making a case to be on the 53, it's time for the Grimble experiment to end. TE is another position I hope they can improve via trade(Niles Paul could come cheap, doesn't have size, but speedy receiving TE)

Could Trey Williams make a case for the 53 as a punt returner? hopefully they give him more looks. Stefan Logan years back made the roster doing exactly what TW did.

Special teams looked great, Jordan Berry was bombing punts that had great hang time, coverage was amazing. (FYI, Rosie Nix a beast) Maybe Danny Smith can coach after all...DO IT AGAIN SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

I'll end it here, James Connor...besides those awful drops, man that guy can run with the football, the blocking helped(McGee) but he has an amazing abilty to change direction and showed great vision. I've said it before, he was a 1st round talent before the shitty cancer. He's not Bell, but I feel he can step in and be a #1 RB if Bell was to miss time, or leave in two years.

Agreed, McGee is knocking people on their asses. He made some really nice blocks for Conner. Feed him the ball and see how he does on that side of the position.

ALLD
08-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Davis in the secondary was running around a few seconds behind the ball. The whole secondary looked like it just learned the game or there is a new playbook that was only available in chinese.

DesertSteel
08-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Agreed, McGee is knocking people on their asses. He made some really nice blocks for Conner. Feed him the ball and see how he does on that side of the position.

NFL draft analysis

STRENGTHS Hands for days. Uses every bit of his catch radius and has elite concentration. Can adjust and catch it high, low or behind him with hands like a shortstop. Former high school quarterback who recognizes when he's hot receiver against blitz and opens quickly. Scouts rave about his outgoing personality and ability to bring locker room together. Considered great teammate who leads by example. Used frequently as a move blocker in Florida offense and has tools to improve in that area. Has acceleration on crossing routes to separate from safeties and linebackers.

Shoes
08-20-2017, 08:50 PM
NFL draft analysis

STRENGTHS

Hands for days. Uses every bit of his catch radius and has elite concentration. Can adjust and catch it high, low or behind him with hands like a shortstop. Former high school quarterback who recognizes when he's hot receiver against blitz and opens quickly. Scouts rave about his outgoing personality and ability to bring locker room together. Considered great teammate who leads by example. Used frequently as a move blocker in Florida offense and has tools to improve in that area. Has acceleration on crossing routes to separate from safeties and linebackers.

Thanks for the info!

Well hopefully they will start to throw his way! I believe he was open in the end zone on the Hunter TD

Dwinsgames
08-20-2017, 09:17 PM
more bad than good and that is never a positive thing ...

most has been covered here with literal shit play early on in the secondary ....

but lets face it 94 yards passing for the game as a team is NOT a positive in any way either ...

BurghBoy412
08-20-2017, 09:27 PM
NFL draft analysis

STRENGTHS Hands for days. Uses every bit of his catch radius and has elite concentration. Can adjust and catch it high, low or behind him with hands like a shortstop. Former high school quarterback who recognizes when he's hot receiver against blitz and opens quickly. Scouts rave about his outgoing personality and ability to bring locker room together. Considered great teammate who leads by example. Used frequently as a move blocker in Florida offense and has tools to improve in that area. Has acceleration on crossing routes to separate from safeties and linebackers.McGee had a consistent College career. Pretty cool he wore #83 at Virginia https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jake-mcgee-1.html

BurghBoy412
08-20-2017, 09:38 PM
more bad than good and that is never a positive thing ...

most has been covered here with literal shit play early on in the secondary ....

but lets face it 94 yards passing for the game as a team is NOT a positive in any way either ...Hence Big Ben Roethlisberger

st33lersguy
08-20-2017, 09:58 PM
What I like about Dobbs is that there were a few times where I thought he would be sacked but wasn't (albeit one of those times he threw that hideous interception). The guy already seems to possess a level of composure under pressure that you figure you would only see in seasoned veterans

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-20-2017, 10:22 PM
What I like about Dobbs is that there were a few times where I thought he would be sacked but wasn't (albeit one of those times he threw that hideous interception). The guy already seems to possess a level of composure under pressure that you figure you would only see in seasoned veterans You might as well call out Laundry Jones lol. Ps as someone said in the game post, I also love Houston's confidence even though he sux. To bad Laundry will never have that or Dobb's escape skills.

Steeldude
08-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if sometime in the upcoming season will Matakevich take Williams' spot.

RunNGun
08-20-2017, 11:35 PM
I wasn't impressed with Sean Davis. He got man handled by Sanu early in the game and was always a step behind in coverage. Part of the secondary not looking so great tonight was due to a lot of man to man coverage. I'm guessing the coaches are trying to get the guys prepared for a lot more man to man, so I expect to see it often the rest of the preseason. It could also mean our guys getting beat as well, but that's what the preseason is for.

steelreserve
08-21-2017, 12:25 AM
I don't know what happened to Cockrell, but every indication this preseason is that he somehow got so derpy that he can't take two steps without stepping on rake that hits him in the face and then he falls off a cliff, and then he lands on a trampoline and bounces back up and smashes into the underside of the cliff, then a crack runs up the cliff and it breaks off, and he falls again and the piece of cliff lands on top of him, then a lump pops up on his head and breaks the piece of cliff in half, and the camera zooms in on his face and his eyes are spinning like slot machine reels, and they stop on Jackpot-Jackpot and coins start pouring out of his mouth.

At any rate, whatever is going on, they need to have a backup plan in place, like, ASAP, because I do not want to be going through the same shit 6 or 8 games into the season where throwing at his side is a guaranteed touchdown on the first 4 possessions in a row.

Craic
08-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Dobbs continued to impress me. He made a single rookie mistake, and it was not one of the rookie mistakes he made last time, which is exactly what I wanted. Better he make them here than in the reg. season. He also only had two bad passes all game (outside of the rookie mistake), and neither of them were close to being interceptions. On the other hand, every time he starts moving, he's trying to stay behind the LOS and make a play downfield, rather than running the ball. Moreover, I noted he wasn't locking onto a receiver and telecasting his throws like he did on tape (he did a few times, but not nearly as much as the college tape showed).

TJ Watt impressed me more this game than last game. He did the small things this game that showed strength against a good OT, and that's what I hadn't yet seen in his college tape.

Edman
08-21-2017, 03:19 AM
Conner look better later in the game and think he was to worried about running up field in the drop passes.

I feel Conner felt the pressure to perform, and overthought before doing. Once he settled down, he got good. Very good.

The dude can definitely play, though.

Dwinsgames
08-21-2017, 07:04 AM
took a bunch of pics of Cockrell in action during the game but they all turned out the same ....

http://www.celebrityparentsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/burnt-toast-article-cancer-from-grilled-food.jpg

AtlantaDan
08-21-2017, 07:36 AM
I don't know what happened to Cockrell, but every indication this preseason is that he somehow got so derpy that he can't take two steps without stepping on rake that hits him in the face and then he falls off a cliff, and then he lands on a trampoline and bounces back up and smashes into the underside of the cliff, then a crack runs up the cliff and it breaks off, and he falls again and the piece of cliff lands on top of him, then a lump pops up on his head and breaks the piece of cliff in half, and the camera zooms in on his face and his eyes are spinning like slot machine reels, and they stop on Jackpot-Jackpot and coins start pouring out of his mouth.

At any rate, whatever is going on, they need to have a backup plan in place, like, ASAP, because I do not want to be going through the same shit 6 or 8 games into the season where throwing at his side is a guaranteed touchdown on the first 4 possessions in a row.

Steelers were prepared to let Cockrell walk but are cursed when it comes to breaking in rookie CBs - Burns missed much of the 2016 preseason and Sutton has not yet seen the field

So we get Cockrell and Big Play Willie Gay

86WARD
08-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Cockring continues to improve on his Antwan Blake imitation. He's terrible.

The offensive line has been less than impressive. A lot of pressure on Dobbs and the run lanes aren't open very long.

Vince Williams...ugh. My thoughts of him being a massive drop off from Timmons are coming to fruition.

Dobbs has been okay. Not overly impressed. His throws are extremely inaccurate and the WRs have bailed him out several times, maybe because of the O-Line. Ironically, his highest QB rating comes when he is pressured.

Bryant looks rusty.

Connor showed some nice moves out there.

Moose
08-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Atlanta game performance, I again wasn't impressed. I have to go back to my reply in an earlier response to what I expect from this team for this game. I also apologized for some of my comments. I regress. This team needs work in many areas. MY opinion is the pass rushing sucks big time. The defense sucks. Dobbs causes me to yawn ( another Landry). There is NO secondary with this team. Red zone needs alot of work. I do have to give 'thumbs up' so far to Conner ( fun watching him bust out runs), and Watt smacking guys around. Shouldn't be too hard to get down to 53 LOL.

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I feel Conner felt the pressure to perform, and overthought before doing. Once he settled down, he got good. Very good.

The dude can definitely play, though.

I don't know - I hope that is true. Because if it isn't we do need to acknowledge that most of his yards came against 3rd and 4th string guys.

Hopefully just first game jitters and he does better against 1's and 2's in the future.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Cockrell has never been that bad in his first 2 years with the steelers.Yesterday he gave up a 44-yard pass, his longest pass that Cockrell gave up last year was 37 yards.....Too early to panic in his case.

But our defense in the middle was dreadful.

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Agree with most here. Dobber looks impressive because he is aggressive and decisive, but he is not ready to face a legit NFL defense yet. His accuracy needs work and his timing is still off - most like rookie QBs he is still slow on the trigger. I like the mindset and the tools - but he is a ways away.

Golden needs to be given a "rest" next game and lets see what Dangerfield and others can do. Golden has one skill - coming downhill to make a tackle. That's it. And that would be fine for a safety if this was 1987. It isn't - so it's not.

But on a positive note - that D line! This is the potentially most talented position group on the team - giving WR a run for its money.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 09:10 AM
I hope Tomlin will put the best players on the field this year.I do not want to have another situation like Justin Brown or Antwon Blake ....

Last year, Tomlin finally put the best players on the field in mid season with Harrison, Burns and Davis.

Rotorhead
08-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I liked what I saw from Bart Houston honestly. He missed on a couple throws, but he was making the right throws. I kind of hope he makes the practice squad.

Secondary was torched in the middle, so that is something we need to address, and do it quickly. Hilton maybe, but not against big TE's so our ILB's better get their jam game going.

Mojouw
08-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I liked what I saw from Bart Houston honestly. He missed on a couple throws, but he was making the right throws. I kind of hope he makes the practice squad.

Secondary was torched in the middle, so that is something we need to address, and do it quickly. Hilton maybe, but not against big TE's so our ILB's better get their jam game going.

That's what Bart Houston does. He teases you with short stretches of competency and then returns to his usual practice of air-mailing throws and trying to fit the ball into spaces he completely lacks the arm strength for.

If Houston's head for the game could be transplanted into Landry Jones' body - then the Steelers might have something. Alternatively, graft Jones stronger arm onto Houston's body...

Iron Steeler
08-21-2017, 11:15 AM
That defense, as constituted, is built to stop the Jaguars and Jets not the Falcons and Patriots. Major disappointment when the first team D was on the field. Lots to fix. Starting with getting Sutton on the field soon to see if he can unseat Cockrell (Ugh).

Only bright spots were Chick and Conner. Conner dropped some passes but he has the look of a 1,200 yard rusher in this league.

I liked that we are giving the players a reality check . We want to be a STOUT defense in today's NFL you have to be able to play great man to man defense. Yesterday I would say we played BELOW AVERAGE man cover . Numerous times we were a step away from getting the QB . We need to focus on this group the most if we really are serious about competing with the best.

And desert I agree with you..Cockrell seemed to be the weak link getting picked on yesrerday

Edman
08-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Agree with most here. Dobber looks impressive because he is aggressive and decisive, but he is not ready to face a legit NFL defense yet. His accuracy needs work and his timing is still off - most like rookie QBs he is still slow on the trigger. I like the mindset and the tools - but he is a ways away.

I agree. The Giants and Falcons starting D's gave Dobber some trouble. As someone else said, Dobbs played like he has a coaches' voice in his head. He is definitely being groomed. I liked how he is showing some improvement and displayed none of the jitters of last week, and made none of the same mistakes he made from last week. Of course, he replaced them with some new ones. Still has a ways to go.

If something catastrophic happens and Ben is out for any amount of time, I'll still trust him in a game over Landry Jones.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Yesterday I said in the gamethread that Keith Butler is not the right man for the job if the defense wants to take the next step.

I mean, Lebeau stuff like the zone blitz or fire zone no longer works in today's nfl against the great offense.

The Packers with Dom Capers have the same problem, especially in the playoffs where, with Capers, the packers have give up an average of 36 points per game in their 7 defeats with Aaron Rodgers and they were often awful in the 4th quarter(and overtime) in the playoffs.

I hope to be wrong, but this is a big concern for me.

Iron Steeler
08-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Yesterday I said in the gamethread that Keith Butler is not the right man for the job if the defense wants to take the next step.

I mean, Lebeau stuff like the zone blitz or fire zone no longer works in today's nfl against the great offense.

The Packers with Dom Capers have the same problem, especially in the playoffs where, with Capers, the packers have give up an average of 36 points per game in their 7 defeats with Aaron Rodgers and they were often awful in the 4th quarter(and overtime) in the playoffs.

I hope to be wrong, but this is a big concern for me.

We are trying to change about 20-30 years of a defensive (zone) culture. This last game made it look like they were trying to play man. The pieces are not there yet.

BurghBoy412
08-21-2017, 06:02 PM

I hope to be wrong, but this is a big concern for me.Why does Keith Butler have that perma red face like an alcoholic?

Craic
08-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Why does Keith Butler have that perma red face like an alcoholic?

Have you seen our DBs over the last few years?

:chuckle:

Craic
08-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Dobbs causes me to yawn ( another Landry).

lolwat? Dobbs was better in this game than I've every seen Landry play, and that was only Dobbs's second game in an NFL jersey. Moreover, several passes hit receivers or RBs right in the hands, and then were dropped. Honestly, Dobbs threw only three bad passes last night, and only one of those was costly. The other two were errors, but they were errors that couldn't be capitalized on.

I think what we really saw last night was an Offensive Coordinator who got his newest RB back for the first time and decided to use the game to see how he could play, rather than play the game to win. There were running plays in there at times that made me shake my head, until I realized that it was all about seeing what Conner could do.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 08:37 PM

GBMelBlount
08-21-2017, 08:39 PM

As constituted, this defense is built to stop the Patriots.

They are young and largely inexperienced.

It is the preseason, and they need time to gel as a unit imo.

Hopefully they will by the playoffs...when it matters most.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 08:44 PM
As constituted, this defense is built to stop the Patriots.

They are young, inexperienced, and need time to gel as a unit.

From what I saw yesterday, this defense was still perfect for the patriots since this defense was still dreadful in the middle of the field, which is the strength of the Patriots offense.

The steelers need to find a way for that the opponents throw the ball outside more often.

BurghBoy412
08-21-2017, 08:52 PM
What I saw yesterday, this defense was still perfect for the patriots since this defense was still dreadful in the middle of the field, which is the strength of the Patriots offense.

The steelers need to find a way for that the opponents throw the ball outside more often.

It's not surprising the middle was soft. No Shaz, No Mitchell. Not to mention there was probably little to no game planning. Usually they just kinda let the guys run. I'm only concerned about our #2 CB spot. If Cockrell can't step it up. I think you have no choice but to replace him with Coty, or Sutton. These guys will mesh as the season goes along.

Anybody know what it'll take to pry Joe Haden from the Browns?

- - - Updated - - -

AMEN!!

BlackAndGold
08-21-2017, 08:55 PM

I'm sure it's annoying that I keep noting this but, this was mostly against starters, other rookie QB's that are getting hype are playing against 2nd, and 3rd stringers.

For a 4th round pick who is obviously considered a project he has impressed. I know this is a case of "could've, would've" or "what if" but if Conner caught those two wide open passes, fans would be praising Dobbs. He made one mistake that deserves blame, and that was the interception.

BurghBoy412
08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Have you seen our DBs over the last few years?

:chuckle:

Truth!!:dizzy:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure it's annoying that I keep noting this but, this was mostly against starters, other rookie QB's that are getting hype are playing against 2nd, and 3rd stringers.

For a 4th round pick who is obviously considered a project he has impressed. I know this the case of "could've, would've" or "what if" but if Conner caught those two wide open passes, fans would be praising Dobbs. He made one mistake that deserves blame, and that was the interception.

I agree. Solid 4th round pick.

teegre
08-21-2017, 09:27 PM

For a 4th round pick who is obviously considered a project he has impressed. I know this the case of "could've, would've" or "what if" but if Conner caught those two wide open passes, fans would be praising Dobbs. He made one mistake that deserves blame, and that was the interception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8E7_u2qgjE&app=desktop

Craic
08-22-2017, 01:55 AM

Don't know what context that is in, but I find it amazing that 30-some passes into his career, he's already better than Landry.

86WARD
08-22-2017, 07:44 AM
lolwat? Dobbs was better in this game than I've every seen Landry play, and that was only Dobbs's second game in an NFL jersey. Moreover, several passes hit receivers or RBs right in the hands, and then were dropped. Honestly, Dobbs threw only three bad passes last night, and only one of those was costly. The other two were errors, but they were errors that couldn't be capitalized on.

I think what we really saw last night was an Offensive Coordinator who got his newest RB back for the first time and decided to use the game to see how he could play, rather than play the game to win. There were running plays in there at times that made me shake my head, until I realized that it was all about seeing what Conner could do.

I watched the second third and fourth quarters (Haven't watched the first yet) and Dobbs consistently throws bad passes. Some connect, some don't. He definitely hasn't surpassed Jones on the depth chart. Not yet at least. Hopefully he's on his way, but he hasn't surpassed him yet. Jones made some nice throws last preseason as well, made some crappy ones but he did improve over the season before. Jones isn't close to the answer for back up, but Dobbs isn't that answer right now either. For every pass Dobbs throws that hits a receiver in the hand he throws at least one that is too high, too low, behind or just in general, "off target" and receivers have made plays on it.

10 of 19 for 70 yards? Less than impressive. Give it time...

Dwinsgames
08-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Don't know what context that is in, but I find it amazing that 30-some passes into his career, he's already better than Landry.

for what it is worth , IMO Landry has regressed as a pro , was and always will be a better college player than pro player .

the pro game does not fit him well , he is slow to diagnose and has trouble reading defenses so instead of using the big arm he has he checks it down to the safe play that doesn't get him the required yardage to be successful , its not that he " can't" throw downfield but instead he is afraid to ...

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=86WARD;598541
10 of 19 for 70 yards? Less than impressive. Give it time...[/QUOTE]

3 drops ...

should have been 13-19 - 130 ish ... 2 drops by Conner alone would have been solid to big gains nobody near him and blockers out in front easily 20 yards on the one pass alone maybe more ...

that being said every QB has some dropped balls his just seemed magnified both coming on 3rd down were drive killers and the one would have put us in scoring range

Mojouw
08-22-2017, 12:15 PM
None of this matters in a morbid sort of way. Neither Jones nor Dobbs is currently ready to lead a diverse offense on multiple successful scoring drives against even a moderately competent defense.

Secondaryconcerns hit the nail on the head with Jones. His lack of mental ability to deal with the NFL level means that he cannot use his natural physical abilities. The few times that Jones just lets instinct take over and lets it rip - good things usually happen (Think late in the Browns game last year).

Dobbs appears to have the opposite problem. I think he has a head for the NFL game and seems to identify the proper place to go with the ball in a timely fashion - but while accurate down the field, he seems to struggle on short and intermediate routes. Now, some guys are able to fix that (Eli Manning is an example. Not always the most accurate guy but gets the job done and done well) and some never get it corrected (see Bortles, Blake).

If we could field a QB named Landry Dobbs, the Steelers might have something. Still, I am far more optimistic about Dobber than Jonesy.

BurghBoy412
08-22-2017, 12:30 PM
None of this matters in a morbid sort of way. Neither Jones nor Dobbs is currently ready to lead a diverse offense on multiple successful scoring drives against even a moderately competent defense.

Secondaryconcerns hit the nail on the head with Jones. His lack of mental ability to deal with the NFL level means that he cannot use his natural physical abilities. The few times that Jones just lets instinct take over and lets it rip - good things usually happen (Think late in the Browns game last year).

Dobbs appears to have the opposite problem. I think he has a head for the NFL game and seems to identify the proper place to go with the ball in a timely fashion - but while accurate down the field, he seems to struggle on short and intermediate routes. Now, some guys are able to fix that (Eli Manning is an example. Not always the most accurate guy but gets the job done and done well) and some never get it corrected (see Bortles, Blake).

If we could field a QB named Landry Dobbs, the Steelers might have something. Still, I am far more optimistic about Dobber than Jonesy.It would be nice if both of them had actually played so far. A fair assessment could be made then.

Mojouw
08-22-2017, 12:32 PM
It would be nice if both of them had actually played so far. A fair assessment could be made then.

I guess I am gambling on Landry Jones not suddenly being a different guy. Last preseason he was force-fed more game snaps than anyone I've ever seen before.

But, you're right there is also a sliver of hope that he figured out how to read and react to an NFL defense over the off-season.

BurghBoy412
08-22-2017, 01:13 PM
I guess I am gambling on Landry Jones not suddenly being a different guy. Last preseason he was force-fed more game snaps than anyone I've ever seen before.

But, you're right there is also a sliver of hope that he figured out how to read and react to an NFL defense over the off-season.Chances aren't good but stranger things have happened.

ALLD
08-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Dobbs and Jones could be perfect candidates for the St. Lucie Mets. Neither is an NFL caliber starter. They are both more like 3rd string QBs or camp arms.

86WARD
08-23-2017, 07:22 AM

If we could field a QB named Landry Dobbs, the Steelers might have something. Still, I am far more optimistic about Dobber than Jonesy.

Pretty much wraps it up perfectly. Good post.

86WARD
08-23-2017, 07:23 AM

But, you're right there is also a sliver of hope that he figured out how to read and react to an NFL defense over the off-season.

Last year he did show improvement over the previous year. Still not at a level you want it to be, but he did play better...so there's that...

Dwinsgames
08-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Last year he did show improvement over the previous year. Still not at a level you want it to be, but he did play better...so there's that...

he did play better , that improvement enabled him to elevate his game to the TRASH level .... still not good enough to merit a paycheck IMO .....

when your chances of winning with some random guy off the street is only 10 % less than a guy who has been on the team for 4 years , you need to make a change