PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Has No Regrets About Intense Tackling In Training Camps

polamalubeast
08-19-2017, 11:30 AM
With the Pittsburgh Steelers having now departed from Saint Vincent College, heading back from Latrobe to Pittsburgh to begin the next phase of their preseason, I think it would be an appropriate time to reflect upon a still somewhat recent development that has become a staple there over the past few years: live tackling drills.

For decades, live tackling had been absent in Latrobe, and in most training camps all around the league. Things began to change again with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that was put in place, which restricted in many different ways what coaches were able to ask of players on the practice field.

With the reduced access to their roster, one obvious way to increase the productivity of the time that they did have was to allow their players to tackle. Tomlin’s Steelers have been doing this for three or four years now.

The Steelers of the late 00s and early 10s were among the most efficient tacklers in the league, perennially. That trend began to shift in a hurry in the opposite direction as many of their key players grew old and retired, or were released, or simply became less effective.

Before long, they became among the least efficient tackling teams in the league, and that seemed to reach its zenith in 2013 and 2014. While there are still significant issues in that regard, it has been improving, and it should continue to improve as the young players on the defense continue to mature.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/mike-tomlin-no-regrets-intense-tackling-training-camps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

stillers4me
08-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Good.

Shoes
08-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Good.

Agreed!

tube517
08-19-2017, 04:44 PM
:cheer2: :chuckle:

pczach
08-20-2017, 05:06 AM
https://pics.onsizzle.com/meanwhile-atthesteelerspractice-facility-nfl-memes-their-newmaintenance-guy-is-hard-12163332.png

AtlantaDan
08-21-2017, 06:52 AM
More from Peter King in his MMQB column today on live tackling in Latrobe

The most physical teams I saw, by far, in my 17 camps visited were Seattle and Pittsburgh. Pete Carroll told me it was important to go “right to the edge” of full-scale tackling and bruising hitting to get ready for the season. After practice, Tomlin stood by the side of the camp field and told me more about why he practices like it was 1990.

“Preparing to play without the physical part,” the 11th-year coach said, “is like asking a boxer to go in and fight without sparring. There is a certain hardening that has to happen to your group individually and collectively, I believe, through this process. I believe live tackling not only aids in that, but is kind of central to that. That’s why we made the conscious effort to have at least 12 to 15 snaps a day of live football. It provides an opportunity, it sets the pace, it gives a certain urgency, in your group.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27479-Mike-Tomlin-Has-No-Regrets-About-Intense-Tackling-In-Training-Camps

Based on the Atlanta game yesterday probably a good idea for the secondary to work on tackling since it will be doing a lot of it given its inability to break up passes