PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers attempting to build a team with the sole focus of beating the Patriots in mind?

polamalubeast
08-13-2017, 08:43 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a dragon to slay, and that would be the New England Patriots, but have they done nothing but build a team to solely beat the Pats?

The other day I was searching the internet for interesting sound bytes on the Pittsburgh Steelers when I stumbled upon a Sal Paolantonio interview with Steelers.com’s reporter Missi Matthews regarding the upcoming 2017 season for the black and gold.

Being a sucker for the NFL Matchup show on ESPN, I watched the clip, check it out HERE, and when asked about the 2017 Steelers, I couldn’t help but be surprised by his answer.

See the transcription below:

“They were on the doorstep of going back to the Super Bowl. If they had gotten lucky, they might have had a better shot at New England. The thing with the Steelers is this, they have had 11 or 12 wins in each of their last three years, right? And you look at the Patriots and it’s been 12 wins, 12 wins, 13 wins. The Steelers have a harder road than the Pats, let’s be clear about that. You know, the Steelers have to go through the AFC North, so it’s hard for them to get home field advantage. That means they have to win on the road in the playoffs.

“If you want to win on the road in the playoffs, you have to play defense. You gotta get to the quarterback, and I think by adding T.J. Watt, and adding another corner, like they did, they are making another commitment to playing pass defense against No. 12 (Tom Brady). This is all about going to Foxborough. This team is on the doorstep again of going to Foxborough in the AFC Championship game, and if they get lucky they could get home field advantage.”

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/8/13/16103670/are-the-steelers-attempting-to-build-a-team-with-the-sole-focus-of-beating-the-patriots-in-mind-nfl

RunNGun
08-13-2017, 09:33 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a dragon to slay, and that would be the New England Patriots, but have they done nothing but build a team to solely beat the Pats?

The other day I was searching the internet for interesting sound bytes on the Pittsburgh Steelers when I stumbled upon a Sal Paolantonio interview with Steelers.com’s reporter Missi Matthews regarding the upcoming 2017 season for the black and gold.

Being a sucker for the NFL Matchup show on ESPN, I watched the clip, check it out HERE, and when asked about the 2017 Steelers, I couldn’t help but be surprised by his answer.

See the transcription below:

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/8/13/16103670/are-the-steelers-attempting-to-build-a-team-with-the-sole-focus-of-beating-the-patriots-in-mind-nfl

It's pretty simple. To be the best, you have to beat the best. There's a very high chance the Steelers will have to get past the Pats if they want number 7, whether that be in Foxborough or at Heinz Field. A lot of people think we shouldn't be solely focused on the Pats right now. I disagree with that. I like what they have done in the off season, through the draft and free agency. We filled areas that TB12 and the Pats love to expose. With all that being said, the focus right now is putting together a roster that can beat the defending champs because the goal is to bring home Lombardi's. Of course, once preseason is over, the focus should be solely on who is on the schedule that week, but like I said, everything right now and up until the first regular season game should be focused on putting together 53 that can beat 12.

polamalubeast
08-13-2017, 09:39 AM
It's pretty simple. To be the best, you have to beat the best. There's a very high chance the Steelers will have to get past the Pats if they want number 7, whether that be in Foxborough or at Heinz Field. A lot of people think we shouldn't be solely focused on the Pats right now. I disagree with that. I like what they have done in the off season, through the draft and free agency. We filled areas that TB12 and the Pats love to expose. With all that being said, the focus right now is putting together a roster that can beat the defending champs because the goal is to bring home Lombardi's. Of course, once preseason is over, the focus should be solely on who is on the schedule that week, but like I said, everything right now and up until the first regular season game should be focused on putting together 53 that can beat 12.

Agreed

Remember when the Steelers were in the Ravens' head after the 2010 season, since the steelers with Roethlisberger were 6-0 (2-0 in the playoffs) against the Ravens in the first 3 years of Harbaugh and Flacco.

Since that time, the Ravens are 9-4 against the Steelers and they have almost eliminated the Steelers in the last 3 years.

Right now, it would be a lie if the Steelers would say that the Pats are not in their heads

Edman
08-13-2017, 10:09 AM
I think the annual pratfall to lesser teams is a bigger issue for the Steelers than the Patriots. Yes, the Patriots are a problem, but the Steelers seriously need to knock it off with the let down games. They have cost them higher seeds in the postseason, or forced them to go on the road.

But whatever the case may be: the mission is clear and simple. Every team has had that "nemesis" standing in the way of their goal. The 70's Raiders had the Steelers. The 49ers had the Cowboys. The 00's-10's Ravens had the Steelers. In basketball, Jordan's Bulls had the Bad Boy Pistons. Those teams had to be beaten for them to get to the top. To be the best. You have to beat the best.

Tom Brady and the Patriots are "that team" for these Steelers. If they want #7, they have to get past New England. They have to beat the Patriots. I'm pretty sure everyone in that locker room has Patriots on the brain, and it's lie if they said there isn't. Some will reluctantly admit it, others will not. Stephon Tuitt already admitted it. They have a "Patriot Problem".

The reality is apparent. New England must be accounted for 100% in everything they do, or we'll keep seeing them destroying us and Tomlin looking clueless on the sideline.

AtlantaDan
08-13-2017, 10:36 AM
I think the annual pratfall to lesser teams is a bigger issue for the Steelers than the Patriots. Yes, the Patriots are a problem, but the Steelers seriously need to knock it off with the let down games. They have cost them higher seeds in the postseason, or forced them to go on the road.

Agreed

Point spreads in August for all regular season games are laughable but at this point the Steelers are not favored only @Chiefs and Pats @Heinz in week 15

To have any chance to play the Pats @Heinz in the playoffs Steelers need to beat the Pats in December - to at least get a bye the Steelers cannot have any of the brain cramp games that occur annually - the likely suspects this year are @Chicago and Jax @Heinz

Schedule link below

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/pit

polamalubeast
08-13-2017, 10:42 AM
I do not care if the game is in Foxboro or Heinz Field if we play against the pats in playoffs.

I want a playoffs bye, but to beat the Pats, it takes a team effort, no matter where the game is.....I do not want the steelers to think that the season is over if we have to play Foxboro in the playoffs.

Of course, we have to play better on the road this year and it starts with Roethlisberger.

steelreserve
08-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Well, that would be better than what they've been doing for the past decade, which is building a team with the sole focus of NOT beating the Patriots ...

st33lersguy
08-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Not just about beating the patriots but any elite pass offense. Let's not forget about a rising top level qb and offense in Oakland they will likely have to contend with. Plus if they get to the super bowl, it's likely that nfc champion to be determined will have a top level qb as well.

polamalubeast
08-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Not just about beating the patriots but any elite pass offense. Let's not forget about a rising top level qb and offense in Oakland they will likely have to contend with. Plus if they get to the super bowl, it's likely that nfc champion to be determined will have a top level qb as well.

Good point....But we don't face the Raiders in the regular season(I know this is possible that we face them in the playoffs)...The games against the packers and the pats will say a lot of this defense.

The next step of this defense is how they will do against elite passing offense.

Born2Steel
08-20-2017, 12:07 AM
NO!

GBMelBlount
08-20-2017, 07:18 AM
My primary focus (in order) would be:

1. Best player available at position of need*.

2. Patriots.

* I do not think need is always as obvious as I believe it can also factor in things like contract uncertainty or players who get injured (or suspended) a lot.

Born2Steel
08-20-2017, 11:27 AM
You build a team to win your division. You game plan to beat teams outside of your division. The Steelers defense had to evolve to become championship caliber again. Not to beat the Patriots or any other non-division team. If AB doesn't win us that game on Christmas Day, we are talking about why can't we beat the Ravens. But we did win so we are talking about the last team we lost to. Just happens to be the Patriots this year.

polamalubeast
08-20-2017, 11:32 AM
You build a team to win your division. You game plan to beat teams outside of your division. The Steelers defense had to evolve to become championship caliber again. Not to beat the Patriots or any other non-division team. If AB doesn't win us that game on Christmas Day, we are talking about why can't we beat the Ravens. But we did win so we are talking about the last team we lost to. Just happens to be the Patriots this year.

Yes, but the goal is not only to win the division.The reason why the pats are in our head is not just because of the AFC title game.This is that in the last 7 games against us, Brady has 22 TD and 0 INT.

This is the team to beat in the AFC right now and the steelers will probably have to beat them if they want to go to the super bowl.

So the steelers have to make adjustments to beat them since the things the steelers have tried against them in the last 10 years, it did not work!

Born2Steel
08-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Yes, but the goal is not only to win the division.The reason why the pats are in our head is not just because of the AFC title game.This is that in the last 7 games against us, Brady has 22 TD and 0 INT.

This is the team to beat in the AFC right now and the steelers will probably have to beat them if they want to go to the super bowl.

So the steelers have to make adjustments to beat them since the things the steelers have tried against them in the last 10 years, it did not work!

I'm not debating with you. You simply do not build a team to beat a non-division opponent on the chance you have to play them in the playoffs. YOU are the one with the Patriots in YOUR head.

polamalubeast
08-20-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm not debating with you. You simply do not build a team to beat a non-division opponent on the chance you have to play them in the playoffs. YOU are the one with the Patriots in YOUR head.

I am convinced that the organization of the steelers have the Pats in their head.It would be lying if the steelers would say that this is not the case.

And when you build a team, the goal is to have a team that can compete for the super bowl and then you have to watch the teams that are better than you and you have to make the necessary adjustments to improve the team.

Mojouw
08-20-2017, 11:55 AM
You should never build to beat a specific team. Never. In no circumstance. You build to deal with league wide trends.

Monster TEs now a thing? Get LBers and safeties (Timmons and Polamalu).
League rules shifting heavily in favor of the passing game? Remake your entire offensive identity (every offensive player since Ben arrived from linemen to wideouts has been building to what they have now - an aerial circus)
Zone coverages not working as well then draft Artie Burns and Sean Davis.
Need to create more pressure in the QB AND put more guys in coverage? Than change how you think about roles in the 3-4 and totally remake your line and linebackers.

But building to stop top one Team? That is short sighted narrow minded thinking.

polamalubeast
08-20-2017, 12:04 PM
You should never build to beat a specific team. Never. In no circumstance. You build to deal with league wide trends.

Monster TEs now a thing? Get LBers and safeties (Timmons and Polamalu).
League rules shifting heavily in favor of the passing game? Remake your entire offensive identity (every offensive player since Ben arrived from linemen to wideouts has been building to what they have now - an aerial circus)
Zone coverages not working as well then draft Artie Burns and Sean Davis.
Need to create more pressure in the QB AND put more guys in coverage? Than change how you think about roles in the 3-4 and totally remake your line and linebackers.

But building to stop top one Team? That is short sighted narrow minded thinking.

You are right.

And I do not want the steelers to focus on just one team, but you look at the best teams, his teams have a great passing offense, so the steelers need to be better for the pass rush and in pass coverage.

And in the last 4 super bowl champions, each team was very good(or great) against the pass.