polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 09:17 PM

BurghBoy412
08-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Watt and Hilton

BlackAndGold
08-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Starting d-line looked dominate.

Hargrave jumped off the screen. Guy is going to be a monster.

Shoes
08-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Watt and Hilton

As for the rookies I agree. Hawkins really sucked. I'll have to go back and review the game but I think he was the reason for most of Dobbs sacks.

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 09:28 PM

- - - Updated - - -

BlackAndGold
08-11-2017, 09:28 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's true.

Love MT, straight forward.

Craic
08-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Winners: Moats showed he's still got it. Hilton was impressive.

Losers: Landry Jones. Both QBs tonight played better than Landry Jones had until last year. Dobbs had a horrible beginning, but really turned it around. Bart Houston looked confident and good. He missed a TD throw, but if that's one of our top two or three WRs, that throw may have been caught (speed and crisper route running).

Also, B. J. Finney (I believe he was the starting center). Ugh! Watching that middle collapse reminded me of the bad ol' days a few years ago before Pouncey showed up.

Third Category: Did well for themselves: T.J. Watt. As Tomlin basically said, his sacks were gimmes, so I'm not that impressed by them. However, he had a few other plays that caught my attention for good reasons, then, some other plays . . . . Also, Cobi Hamilton helped himself tonight.

Shoes
08-11-2017, 09:30 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I can agree with Tomlin on both counts, but Watt did show great energy, effort, conditioning and never looked out of place or confused. He going to be a good one.

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 09:34 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Watt no surprise there in my opinion, Was very impressed with Hilton being around the ball and didn't know much on him. Moats was a beast tonight!

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Hilton , Watson and Hamilton all made cases for themselves but not sure that will be enough for Hamilton WR is so incredibly deep on this unit

Moats made Chickillo job tougher esp if he misses more time can't make the club in the tub Moats put on a clinic but it should be expected considering half the guys he played against will be flipping burgers or pushing shopping carts in a few months

Hilton 2 special teams tackles , 1 fumble recovery and a big time sack of a guy quite a bit larger than himself ( Hilton 5'8" 175 ) a solo open field tackle and around the ball a lot
Watson was by far our best RB tonight would like to see him play some earlier snaps next week and see if that trend continues

guys I though did not help themself are

Fitz , Davis , Hawkins ( but he isn't going anywhere this year ) DHB ,Tucker ( but not really his fault ) Dixon ( 3 penalties )

BurghBoy412
08-11-2017, 10:31 PM
After tonight... I'm thinking this team should make a move for a quality #2 RB. After Bell the talent level at that position drops off the edge of the World. If Bell goes down this team is in trouble.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 10:43 PM
After tonight... I'm thinking this team should make a move for a quality #2 RB. After Bell the talent level at that position drops off the edge of the World. If Bell goes down this team is in trouble.

Watson averaged 4.4 ypc and got a score nothing wrong with that work , granted vs scrubs but we had scrubs in blocking for him too so there is that ...

also our rookie RB was not playing tonight either ( Conner ) so there is that

SteelerFanInStl
08-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Isn't that why we drafted Conner? He just needs to get healthy. I don't think that Davis or Fitz is worthy of making the final 53.

BurghBoy412
08-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Conner has had injury problems himself. Besides I don't think it's fair to say he's a quality#2 when he hasn't played a snap yet in a game.

TE is looking pretty scary right now as well.

08-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Conner has had injury problems himself. Besides I don't think it's fair to say he's a quality#2 when he hasn't played a snap yet in a game.

TE is looking pretty scary right now as well.I'm not sold on Conner and great story and fine man. I think he was taking early over better rb's because of that. Just me and never watched him play.

08-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Hilton , Watson and Hamilton all made cases for themselves but not sure that will be enough for Hamilton WR is so incredibly deep on this unit

Moats made Chickillo job tougher esp if he misses more time can't make the club in the tub Moats put on a clinic but it should be expected considering half the guys he played against will be flipping burgers or pushing shopping carts in a few months

Hilton 2 special teams tackles , 1 fumble recovery and a big time sack of a guy quite a bit larger than himself ( Hilton 5'8" 175 ) a solo open field tackle and around the ball a lot
Watson was by far our best RB tonight would like to see him play some earlier snaps next week and see if that trend continues

guys I though did not help themself are

Fitz , Davis , Hawkins ( but he isn't going anywhere this year ) DHB ,Tucker ( but not really his fault ) Dixon ( 3 penalties )As I said in the Game Day post Chickillo is garbage and haven't showed anything since he's been here. Moats is head and shoulders the better player and it's not even close.

tube517
08-12-2017, 04:16 AM
Watson and Hilton maybe those "underdog" free agent guys that make the team that the Steelers always seem to find.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Our running game was good tonight....124 yards on 4.6 YPC despite that the run blocking was not always good.

steelerNnyc
08-12-2017, 08:08 AM
I am so sick of the crazy bias of the the fans and writers for the steelers.

If ANYONE else on the team did what Cobi Hamilton did in last nights game, he would be praised as if he was the best thing walking. The writers say he always jumps when he catches the ball, well if he didn't jumped then we wouldn't have snagged that 44 yards. Oh, and he used his hands NOT is body. (For those of you who lie to say that about him as well)

all i in need is for folks to give credit where credit is due. He is the only receiver that showed ANYTHING last night... including Eli Rogers. Where was he last night? Ugh.

Justin Hunter is a lock and hasn't played one game? Lol. One person makes some
drops, it ain't a big deal. Another person makes some drops, it's the end of their career.

j-d-s
08-12-2017, 08:25 AM
I still think we should sign Ray Rice as backup to Bell.

86WARD
08-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Easily: Watt, Hilton and Moats. Watson was good but I'd like to see him against some better competition. Dobbs was not that much more impressive than Jones in the preseason. As a matter of fact, he's probably trending on the same curve after one game. Nothing to get over excited about and think that he's going to eliminate Jones from the roster. Not after that performance.

86WARD
08-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I still think we should sign Ray Rice as backup to Bell.

I'd bring him in for a try out..no doubt.

stillers4me
08-12-2017, 08:54 AM
I didn't watch the game closely because we went to our sportsbar and we were catching up with friends. Game ball to Watt is a no brainer.

Dear JJ: whatever advice you've been giving your little bother, thank you.

Dobbs had a shaky start (to say the least) but he seemed to be getting his bearings as the game went on. More accuracy on the long balls than the short ones, but he also didn't have the full starters around him. I'm not writing him off at this stage and anyone who is is jumping the gun (IMO).

Oh, yeah. Football is back. Chest Bump

Hawkman
08-12-2017, 09:34 AM
I'd bring him in for a try out..no doubt.

Not me. Even before the "girl friend beat down" he was running really poorly. Averaging 3 yrds per carry his last season......which was 2013. I'd bring back Williams before Rice.

Edman
08-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Nothing to get over excited about and think that he's going to eliminate Jones from the roster. Not after that performance.

Your memory must be short or you repressed something on Jones. If you look at Dobbs last night, and watched Jones, yes, Dobbs (and even Houston) are something worth looking at and talking about.

I don't blame you of course, Landry Jones never did anything noteworthy in the preseason besides barely exist, and the best memory of him was his 4 INT greasefire last year.

Dobbs actually showed some life and tangibles. Response to adversity after a horrible start. Mobility. Play extension. Playmaking. Something to make us hopeful for him. He should've had two TD passes last night as far as I'm concerned..

- - - Updated - - -

What T.J Watt did wasn't too impressive but I wished Jarvis Jones would get gimme sacks like that.

Shoes
08-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Your memory must be short or you repressed something on Jones. If you look at Dobbs last night, and watched Jones, yes, Dobbs (and even Houston) are something worth looking at and talking about.

I don't blame you of course, Landry Jones never did anything noteworthy in the preseason besides barely exist, and the best memory of him was his 4 INT greasefire last year.

Dobbs actually showed some life and tangibles. Response to adversity after a horrible start. Mobility. Play extension. Playmaking. Something to make us hopeful for him. He should've had two TD passes last night as far as I'm concerned..

- - - Updated - - -

What T.J Watt did wasn't too impressive but I wished Jarvis Jones would get gimme sacks like that.You want to compare Jones over Watt? Watt played 62 snaps, far more than anyone on offense or defense with no let up in his play. He got a few easy sacks but still got them, demonstrated he can get off blocks, pressured the QB, had endless effort, energy and conditioning, never looked out of position or confused.

PFF on Watt:

Pittsburgh Steelers (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers/25) first-round pick edge defender T.J. Watt (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tj-watt/11785) made his preseason debut Friday night (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-pittsburgh-steelers-20-new-york-giants-12/). Watt impressed, playing 62 total snaps during the 20-12 victory over the New York Giants.
Watt’s 62 snaps were the most by any player during the game and he earned the highest grade of any player in the game with an overall PFF game grade of 86.1.
Watt impressed rushing the passer, of his 33 pass-rush snaps Watt pressured the QB six times including two sacks and a hit. His six total pressures are tied for the most in a single game so far this preseason. Watt had a pass-rush productivity of 25.0 during the game (pass-rush productivity measures pressure created on a per-snap basis with weighting toward sacks). As impressive as the numbers were his two sacks — one came via a clean-up and the other unblocked.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-steelers-rookie-watt-impresses-in-his-preseason-debut

Here's Tomlins full statement on Watt after the game.Coach Mike Tomlin wasn't too impressed with T.J. Watt's sacks, calling them the easiest of his career. "I don't want him to get disillusioned," Tomlin told KDKA-TV at halftime. "But I do like the things that I've seen so far."

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 10:48 AM
I am so sick of the crazy bias of the the fans and writers for the steelers.

If ANYONE else on the team did what Cobi Hamilton did in last nights game, he would be praised as if he was the best thing walking. The writers say he always jumps when he catches the ball, well if he didn't jumped then we wouldn't have snagged that 44 yards. Oh, and he used his hands NOT is body. (For those of you who lie to say that about him as well)

all i in need is for folks to give credit where credit is due. He is the only receiver that showed ANYTHING last night... including Eli Rogers. Where was he last night? Ugh.

Justin Hunter is a lock and hasn't played one game? Lol. One person makes some
drops, it ain't a big deal. Another person makes some drops, it's the end of their career.

His two catchs were against Antwon Blake.

I remember very well how bad Blake was in 2015, Blake was the starter for no reason.

DesertSteel
08-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Dobbs looked quite a bit like a few Tenn games I saw last year. A shaky start but got more composed as the game action unfolded. That said, you can't give up int's like he did last night, at any time during the game. Hopefully he builds on a solid finish.

Shoes
08-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Dobbs looked quite a bit like a few Tenn games I saw last year. A shaky start but got more composed as the game action unfolded. That said, you can't give up int's like he did last night, at any time during the game. Hopefully he builds on a solid finish.

I think he will be fine at 2#, if he doesn't replace Jones this year , he surely will next season. The line wasn't very good and Hawkins was really bad.

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Can anyone tell what the source of Dobbs accuracy problems are? Mechanics of some sort? Lack of anticipation? Just not very good?

For instance, I watched a ton of Houston at UW and he simply lacks the arm strength to pull of a lot of what he tries to do. Leads to poorly thrown balls and turnovers.

Dobbs seems to have all the arm he would ever need. Early camp reports lauded his accuracy and the breakdown at Steelers Depot argued that his college WRs were so bad that they heavily contributed to his incompletions.

I didn't watch the game last night, but from all the reports I am seeing, Dobbs was hurried, inaccurate, and several badly thrown balls. Just rookie stuff or was there a deeper flaw?

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Can anyone tell what the source of Dobbs accuracy problems are? Mechanics of some sort? Lack of anticipation? Just not very good?

For instance, I watched a ton of Houston at UW and he simply lacks the arm strength to pull of a lot of what he tries to do. Leads to poorly thrown balls and turnovers.

Dobbs seems to have all the arm he would ever need. Early camp reports lauded his accuracy and the breakdown at Steelers Depot argued that his college WRs were so bad that they heavily contributed to his incompletions.

I didn't watch the game last night, but from all the reports I am seeing, Dobbs was hurried, inaccurate, and several badly thrown balls. Just rookie stuff or was there a deeper flaw?

Every Throws by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nrObIst_IM

stillers4me
08-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Shoes
08-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Dobbs improved the more he played imo. I think it is rookie stuff, what I like is, he is always looking down field, isn't quick to run and steps up nicely in the pocket and has a good arm. He'll be the #2 for the future.

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Dobbs improved the more he played imo. I think it is rookie stuff, what I like is, he is always looking down field, isn't quick to run and steps up nicely in the pocket and has a good arm. He'll be the #2 for the future.

Watching the video posted above, and that seems to be the case. At least with Dobbs you have a guy who isn't afraid to turn it loose. Landry Jones never met a checkdown he didn't like.

Dobbs looks smoother and more natural in those throws from the video than any sequence I can remember for Jones.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 01:35 PM
I prefer a QB who is an gunslider and who likes to take risks than a QB who loves too much the checkdown.

The best play of Dobbs was at 8:00 of this video but the steelers had a penalty in this play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKVCeRQEmI

Shoes
08-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Watching the video posted above, and that seems to be the case. At least with Dobbs you have a guy who isn't afraid to turn it loose. Landry Jones never met a checkdown he didn't like.

Dobbs looks smoother and more natural in those throws from the video than any sequence I can remember for Jones.

Indeed, he is much smoother and he has the added advantage of using his feet if all else fails. I thought the Grimble TD that was called back was a great play when Dobbs was under pressure.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 03:32 PM

86WARD
08-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Without actually calculating it, it looked like nearly 75% of Dobbs' passes were off target. If not for some nice plays by the receivers, he would've had an even worse night. Like I said in his defense before, it was his first game, he was hurried a lot as the O Line appeared not to be there. He was far from anything fluid but he has promise but he's not leaps and bounds better than Landry by that showing. I look forward to seeing him next week as well and hopefully he gets even better.