PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers showing interest in trade for Rams CB Trumaine Johnson

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 08:37 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers don’t often execute trades, but they do when they feel it is necessary. Like they did when trading for Brandon Boykin prior to the 2015 season, the Steelers are reportedly showing interest in possibly trading for Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Per CBS Jason LaConfora:

"The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year," La Canfora wrote. "Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade."

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/8/11/16137264/report-steelers-showing-interest-in-trade-for-rams-cb-trumaine-johnson-pittsburgh-rumors

BlackAndGold
08-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Don't believe this.

He's making $17mil on the franchise tag. They don't have that type of money.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 08:45 PM
can not believe anything Lacanfora says ... 17 million and plays like a 12 million guy

BurghBoy412
08-11-2017, 09:02 PM
I'd be all for it. Johnson would immediately be the best CB on the roster. Probability of this actually happening I'd say is less than 10%.

st33lersguy
08-11-2017, 09:07 PM
After the last 2 years I am opposed to giving up more draft picks for another corner, particularly a guy they can't afford

salamander
08-11-2017, 09:08 PM
If he's slated to make that much money, there's no way in hell that happens.

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Maybe not for Trumaine Johnson but this is possible that the steelers trade for a CB before the season for the third years in a row....

BurghBoy412
08-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Maybe not for Trumaine Johnson but this is possible that the steelers trade for a CB before the season for the third years in a row....I could definitely see that happening. I really wonder how much faith they have in Cockrell. He can't cover elite level guys. Just ask AB

Shoes
08-11-2017, 09:21 PM
I could definitely see that happening. I really wonder how much faith they have in Cockrell. He can't cover elite level guys. Just ask AB

Cockrell is grab happy like Ike.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Cockrell is grab happy like Ike.

but without Ikes speed or tact at grabbing .... lack of elite speed makes cockrells mistakes magnified

Shoes
08-11-2017, 09:39 PM
but without Ikes speed or tact at grabbing .... lack of elite speed makes cockrells mistakes magnified

:lol:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Trade Bell to them and a 3rd for him and Gurley.

86WARD
08-12-2017, 08:56 AM
In Oder for it to happen, you'd have to see some contract restructures occur to free up that space and then they would have to make a trade and sign Johnson to a long term deal. I'm not opposed to it at all and I'd definitely consider trading Bell and a third (most likely get that back via Timmons) for Johnson and Gurley. I'd try to get a 4 or 5 pick in return as well. I mean you are trading one of the best backs, by far, in the league and getting a back of a little lesser talent who may only be s one year wonder.

BlackAndGold
08-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Don't like the idea of paying Johnson $15mil+ per year.

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 10:10 AM
This sounds like Johnson's agent or the Rams floating a story because Johnson is no longer a good fit in LA

Steelers do not operate this way and have major costs coming up with new contracts for other defenders such as Tuitt (please get that negotiation done) and Shazier

Given their experience with Bell being tagged I assume they are not interested in bringing in a rent a player for 2017 that will require other contracts to be reworked to get under the cap

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Johnson is an impressive player on paper. 6'2" 213lbs.
The price tag is the obvious hurdle here. My question is how much would his presence ensure a super bowl victory? If signing him would ensure another Championship. Why not make it happen?http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7530/trumaine-johnson

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Johnson is an impressive player on paper. 6'2" 213lbs.
The price tag is the obvious hurdle here. My question is how much would his presence ensure a super bowl victory? If signing him would ensure another Championship. Why not make it happen?http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7530/trumaine-johnson

This is not the NBA where only 5 players are playing at any one time and Johnson is not Kevin Durant - one CB is not going to ensure anything

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
This is not the NBA where only 5 players are playing at any one time and Johnson is not Kevin Durant - one CB is not going to ensure anything Well it wouldn't be a good move then.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year. You have to negotiate the contract of Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell. I won't be surprised if one of those top tier players ends up on another team.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 10:30 AM
It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year. You have to negotiate the contract of Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell. I won't be surprised if one of those top tier players ends up on another team.

The steelers won 2 super bowl, were in another super bowl and had a 15-1 season between 2004 to 2010 by being conservative.

I do not think the steelers will change this year.

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Well it wouldn't be a good move then.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny to me how badly Steeler fans want to win another title yet refuse to realize it can't always be done by being frugal and conservative. These players have a limited time to make as much money as they can. You can't always play it cheap and expect to win a Super Bowl every year.

Steelers have only won six - disgraceful result for a team that has managed for the long term since Noll arrived - fire Tomlin and make Art Rooney II sell now!

Leaving aside how the Steelers would fit almost $17 million under the cap for 2017, Johnson may not be the second coming of Mel Blount and Rod Woodson

The NFL franchise tag players have been determined for the 2017 season, and while only really two of the players tagged (RB Le’Veon Bell and DT Kawann Short) rank among the very best couple of players at their respective positions, there is one clear anomaly among the seven players that received the tag this year: CB Trumaine Johnson....

So just how far short of that elite level is Johnson? This past season, he ranked as the 26th-best CB by PFF grade, with a score of 81.0; a year ago, he was 25th (80.9). In abstract terms, 64 cornerbacks start in the NFL, with another 32 playing more often than they are on the bench given the propensity for nickel defense throughout the league, so ranking around the top 25 is far from a bad thing, but neither does it justify almost $17 million a season....

The Rams now run the risk of doubling down on what looks to be a mistake

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-why-franchise-tagging-trumaine-johnson-again-carries-risk-for-the-rams

st33lersguy
08-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Well it wouldn't be a good move then.

- - - Updated - - -

And spending a bunch of resources to acquire another player because He's the "final piece of the puzzle" almost never works. Being reckless in order to avoid being conservative is not wise.

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 10:39 AM
The steelers won 2 super bowl, were in another super bowl and had a 15-1 season between 2004 to 2010 by being conservative.

I do not think the steelers will change this year. I wouldn't expect them to change a thing. Their formula works great when it comes to staying competitive. I suppose I grow tired of all the "arm chair GM's" That shoot down a move as soon as it's proposed. Instantly stating " it won't happen. the money the money the money" blah blah blah. I don't even have to read the threads about possible transactions anymore. I know the road its going down as soon as I see it. So predictable. So Boring.

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't expect them to change a thing. Their formula works great when it comes to staying competitive. I suppose I grow tired of all the "arm chair GM's" That shoot down a move as soon as it's proposed. Instantly stating " it won't happen. the money the money the money" blah blah blah. I don't even have to read the threads about possible transactions anymore. I know the road its going down as soon as I see it. So predictable. So Boring.

OK - since not being boring is your metric for a good post, on what are you basing your conclusion that the Steelers should consider blowing through the cap ceiling to pursue Johnson other than the fact he is not Ross Cockrell?

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 10:54 AM
OK - since not being boring is your metric for a good post, on what are you basing your conclusion that the Steelers should consider blowing through the cap ceiling to pursue Johnson other than the fact he is not Ross Cockrell? Look guy I don't work for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker living in Denver. I don't have spread sheets with player salaries and cap numbers available to me. All I'm saying is I'll let the people that get paid to work the numbers do their job. I refuse to be so realistic that it ruins the fun of being a football fan.

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Johnson is a 27 year old CB whose current team questions whether or not he fits man coverage focused 3-4 schemes.

I really hope we get him.

I can't wait to give up a series of draft picks and players for a CB whose play consistently ranges between William Gay's worst day and Cockerell's best day.

Then the team would get to pay him top $$.

If we don't want boring transaction hypothetical threads - then lets make something realistic.

The real missed opportunity here was to trade a WR for Darby (CB from the Bills). Coates may have been enough to get it done. JOrdan Matthews has not really shown anything in the NFL as of yet.

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Look guy I don't work for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm a Union Sheet Metal Worker living in Denver. I don't have spread sheets with player salaries and cap numbers available to me. All I'm saying is I'll let the people that get paid to work the numbers do their job. I refuse to be so realistic that it ruins the fun of being a football fan.

If trashing other posters without explaining why you contend they are wrong works for you go for it - have fun :drink:

Shoes
08-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Johnson is a 27 year old CB whose current team questions whether or not he fits man coverage focused 3-4 schemes.

I can't wait to give up a series of draft picks and players for a CB whose play consistently ranges between William Gay's worst day and Cockerell's best day.

If we don't want boring transaction hypothetical threads - then lets make something realistic.

The real missed opportunity here was to trade a WR for Darby (CB from the Bills). Coates may have been enough to get it done. JOrdan Matthews has not really shown anything in the NFL as of yet.

This is the only thing that makes sense in this thread.

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I suppose that you've watched a lot of film on Johnson?

- - - Updated - - -

If trashing other posters without explaining why you contend they are wrong works for you go for it - have fun :drink:
Pretty sure I stated exactly why I contend they are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the only thing that makes sense in this thread. Not really. Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball. Sounds pretty realistic.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Not really. Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball.

Coates was very good in the first 5 week before his injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehmK-iZ0DGc

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Coates was very good in the first 5 week before his injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehmK-iZ0DGc

5 weeks of good play is really a measure of consistency

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 11:14 AM
5 weeks of good play is really a measure of consistency

Better that Jordan Matthews.

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Better that Jordan Matthews.
Did you even bother to look and compare their career stats before you posted?

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Matthews had more than 100 targets each year.

Coates had almost the same number of yards that Antonio Brown after 5 weeks last year but his season was ruined because of an injury.

He had made an big play (40 yards or more)in each of his first 5 games.

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 11:35 AM
I have not watched hours of film on Trumaine Johnson. However, what I can do is click all the links that are posted here and the dozens that come up when you Google about any NFL player.

The consistent opinion of those that have watched hours of film on Johnson is that he is a "bend but don't break corner", "inconsistent from game to game", not worth top $, struggles a bit in man coverage, gives up some big plays, etc etc etc.

Johnson is a good CB - in fact he is a darn good one. He is not so much better than the current starters that he would be worth multiple draft picks/players and the chance to wreck the entire salary structure of the roster.

But again, that is just my opinion. It does not have to be shared by everyone - nor does it mean I have to trash anyone else.

Shoes
08-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Why would the Bills trade for a guy with a bum hand who cannot catch the ball[/B]. Sounds pretty realistic.

I'm looking for anyway possible to trade or get a draft pick for Coates. :lol:

Dwinsgames
08-12-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm looking for anyway possible to trade or get a draft pick for Coates. :lol:

the Jets are still in dire need for wrs

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 11:57 AM

I would trade Coates only if it's against a TE, CB or position of need

Otherwise the steelers would have no more than a fifth round draft pick for Coates

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need a deep threat in their offense, if Bryant is injured or suspended, at least the steelers would have Coates if he is still with the steelers.

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I have not watched hours of film on Trumaine Johnson. However, what I can do is click all the links that are posted here and the dozens that come up when you Google about any NFL player.

The consistent opinion of those that have watched hours of film on Johnson is that he is a "bend but don't break corner", "inconsistent from game to game", not worth top $, struggles a bit in man coverage, gives up some big plays, etc etc etc.

Johnson is a good CB - in fact he is a darn good one. He is not so much better than the current starters that he would be worth multiple draft picks/players and the chance to wreck the entire salary structure of the roster.

But again, that is just my opinion. It does not have to be shared by everyone - nor does it mean I have to trash anyone else.Sounds like he'd just be a more expensive Cockrell. Not worth the hassle

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for anyway possible to trade or get a draft pick for Coates. [emoji38]If we could package Cockrell and Coates. I'd be jumping for joy!

teegre
08-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Being reckless in order to avoid being conservative is not wise.

Game.
Set.
Match.

/thread

Dwinsgames
08-12-2017, 12:07 PM
IMO the Bills won the series of trades they made here is why

Additions

WR Jordan Mathews -consistent 800-900 yards a season and perhaps more importantly he is active on Sundays
CB E.J.Gaines- solid but under rated cover corner who excels in man coverage

Subtractions
Sammy Watkins - all world ability but off the field as often as on it , top 10 money so fairly expensive vs everyone else in this discussion ( less productive on average than Mathews )
Ronald Dardy -good corner no question but Gaines has as much ability IMO

each player the Bills received makes less money than those they gave away that is a Plus for the Bills
they got what I believe time will prove to be a push at CB and perhaps slight advantage at WR because Watkins has not proved to be reliable due to injury

here is the real kicker ... Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft ...I fail to see how that is not a great deal for them

- - - Updated - - -

If we could package Cockrell and Coates. I'd be jumping for joy!

you still need to come up with 17 million dollars

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Problem is the rest of their roster is absolute hot garbage. Currently they are starting Shamarko at SS.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

Other than Wilkerson, who would you even want back in a trade?

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the Bills won the series of trades they made here is why

Additions

WR Jordan Mathews -consistent 800-900 yards a season and perhaps more importantly he is active on Sundays
CB E.J.Gaines- solid but under rated cover corner who excels in man coverage

Subtractions
Sammy Watkins - all world ability but off the field as often as on it , top 10 money so fairly expensive vs everyone else in this discussion ( less productive on average than Mathews )
Ronald Dardy -good corner no question but Gaines has as much ability IMO

each player the Bills received makes less money than those they gave away that is a Plus for the Bills
they got what I believe time will prove to be a push at CB and perhaps slight advantage at WR because Watkins has not proved to be reliable due to injury

here is the real kicker ... Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft ...I fail to see how that is not a great deal for them

Bills won both of those trades on paper. Even if Watkins returns to health and dominates (which he won't because even if he is healthy - Jared Goff still exists) - that's not much lost by the Bills because they are never going to throw the ball a ton anyways.

I'm not sure I want to be ready for the Bills to start making good decisions again. Amazing what happens when you get rid of the Ryan brothers.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Problem is the rest of their roster is absolute hot garbage. Currently they are starting Shamarko at SS.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

:toofunny:

With the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft,the New York Jets select __________

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Seriously, the Jets can be this year the worst team since the 2008 Detroit Lions and we've seen some awful teams in that time like the 2009 Rams or last year Browns.

If Shamarko is an starter, this is the bottom of the barrel.Remember the preseason game against the Bills in 2015!

teegre
08-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Bills also get a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft while giving up just a 6th ..

so in summery they do not lose much if anything in terms of talent , they are paying out less $ and they gained a couple of nice picks in next years draft

Yep. The Bills now have the second-most trade capital for next year's draft (where everyone will be trying to get in the top five).

DesertSteel
08-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Seriously, the Jets can be this year the worst team since the 2008 Detroit Lions and we've seen some awful teams in that time like the 2009 Rams or last year Browns.

If Shamarko is an starter, this is the bottom of the barrel.Remember the preseason game against the Bills in 2015!
I'd actually love to see what Shamarko does as a 16-game starter. We might be surprised.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 01:30 PM
I'd actually love to see what Shamarko does as a 16-game starter. We might be surprised.

Will Allen is an HOF if we compare to Shamarko.

griz5700
08-12-2017, 01:44 PM
For this Montana alum and die hard Steelers fan - this would be a dream come Tru. Used to play Intramural softball with Trumaine. Good dude and a hell of a talent. GoGriz

Dwinsgames
08-12-2017, 02:20 PM

draft picks ! as they will almost certainly be selecting top 3 ( probably 1st over all )

so any pick you get from them will be like a late pick from the prior round ....

a 5th would be like a late 4 ...
a 4 a late 3 etc ...

send them ( let them pick 3 ) Severin , Ayers , DHB , Hamilton , Coates .... for a 3rd round pick most of those wont make our roster anyways and no guarantees any of them do ..( Coates aside )

sure they can wait till cut downs and get some guys but that don't give them time to acclimate them to the system and playbook ... there is value in trading them now ( or should be anyways )

86WARD
08-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Jordan Matthews has shown plenty. He stinks. He quite possibly may be one of the more overrated receivers in the game. Steelers definitely could've sent a package with Coates in it for Darby. No doubt.

86WARD
08-12-2017, 03:43 PM
I would trade Coates only if it's against a TE, CB or position of need

Otherwise the steelers would have no more than a fifth round draft pick for Coates

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need a deep threat in their offense, if Bryant is injured or suspended, at least the steelers would have Coates if he is still with the steelers.

DHB is just as good a deep threat as Coates is at this stage.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 03:45 PM
DHB is just as good a deep threat as Coates is at this stage.

DHB has never had more than 400 yards in 5 games like Coates last year ....

86WARD
08-12-2017, 03:52 PM
He runs just as good a go route as Coates does and he catches just about as good right now. Unless Coates steps it up, there's no reason to keep him if they could trade him for a player that is going to contribute.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 03:56 PM
He runs just as good a go route as Coates does and he catches just about as good right now. Unless Coates steps it up, there's no reason to keep him if they could trade him for a player that is going to contribute.

I agree with the bold.

For DHB, I'm not sure, especially at his age.

AtlantaDan
08-12-2017, 04:31 PM
I agree with the bold.

For DHB, I'm not sure, especially at his age.

Coaches like DHB for his special teams play (although given how horrible special teams have been I suppose that is sort of like being singled out as one of the better players on the Browns)

BurghBoy412
08-12-2017, 04:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if a move is made.

Dwinsgames
08-12-2017, 05:21 PM
a correction to an earlier post here not gonna look to see who posted it but Shamarko Thomas looks to be 3rd on the depth chart

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGucIUqVwAE_hci.jpg:large

tube517
08-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Jets = Steelers North

McClendon
Beachum
W.Johnson
Sharknado
Todman

Mojouw
08-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Oops. Another depth chart I saw from a Non-Jets site had Sharknado listed as the #1.

Still, that is not a good roster.

86WARD
08-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Gotta be the worst roster in the league.

polamalubeast
08-12-2017, 06:42 PM

Maybe of the decade too....

tube517
08-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Matt Forte and the former Steelers, the 2 CBs and the rest of the D-line I recognize.

The rest........WHO????