PDA

View Full Version : PreSeason Game One: Giants

Born2Steel
08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
A few questions for this first preseason game.

Who is going to play the CB spots? Golson, Sutton, Burns out nursing injuries. Cockrell, Gay, Sensabaugh most likely seeing very limited play Friday. Leaves Hilton, Allen, and......???

I'm ready to see Conner go full speed/full contact for hopefully a half. I hope that shoulder is ready.

2nd team Oline, Dobbs, JuJu, Hunter, Conner, Davis, who are you most wanting to watch?

I really hope somebody steps up big time at safety. Desperate need of hope with that group.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm guessing we'll see a lot of Brian Allen. Really excited to see JuJu out there.

Skinart82
08-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Dobbs, Conner and JuJu are my top three I want to see. I really wanted to see Sutton, but that will have to wait.

86WARD
08-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Looking forward to seeing JuJu, Conner and Watt in that order.

Born2Steel
08-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Watt and Chick. Alualu, Red, Fort, Walton, Adams, and Maxey. I'm thinking this defense will go as the pass rush goes this year. C'mon Big Dan, please.

Rotorhead
08-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Watt and Juju, then hoping to see someone step up at CB or it is going to be a long season.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 11:24 AM

DesertSteel
08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
It'll be a big stage for Dobbs. I'm looking forward to seeing what we have with this young man.

tube517
08-09-2017, 12:29 PM
The draft picks and Justin Hunter.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Mike Hilton....

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Shoes
08-09-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't think Conner will play.

Dwinsgames
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Dobbs has a shot at unseating Jones , if he can play well he just may do it ...

we have a ton of WRs that is going to be hard to cut , also have some CBs that are going to be tough cuts ...

if Dobbs can instill some confidence in the coaching staff Jones could be one of those cuts instead ...

do we really want to carry 3 QBs on active roster especially if the 3 looks as good or better than the 2 ?

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Dobbs has a shot at unseating Jones , if he can play well he just may do it ...

we have a ton of WRs that is going to be hard to cut , also have some CBs that are going to be tough cuts ...

if Dobbs can instill some confidence in the coaching staff Jones could be one of those cuts instead ...

do we really want to carry 3 QBs on active roster especially if the 3 looks as good or better than the 2 ?

WE, may not want, but the reality is....we will carry 3.

BlackAndGold
08-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Jones isn't getting cut, nor will Dobbs over take him as the #2 QB.

RunNGun
08-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Jones isn't getting cut, nor will Dobbs over take him as the #2 QB.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. I think you're probably right, but I'm willing to see what Dobbs can do in the preseason and the rest of camp before I make any judgements. And yes, Jones undoubtedly makes this roster barring injury.

Mojouw
08-10-2017, 12:45 AM
My take is that Jones starts the season as the 2. If Ben goes down for 1-2 weeks it stays like that. If he goes down for longer, and Jones is his usual underwhelming self, he has a short leash and Dobbs is on ready standby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
08-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Jones was #3 behind Gradkowski.
Jones was #3 behind Vick.

SUMMATION:
I could see Jones being #3 behind Dobbs.

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 11:10 AM
What are your expectations for Dobbs tomorrow against the Giants?

Edman
08-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Statline: 14/27 120 yards 1 TD, 1 INT

Poise and accuracy. At least something that inspires any semblance of confidence.

Will the mistakes happen? Sure they will. But all I'm asking for from Dobbs is confidence. Something Gradkowski and Jones didn't have or inspire.

If Dobbs can manage any sense of offense, he's succeeded in my eyes.

Born2Steel
08-10-2017, 12:17 PM

SUMMATION:

Agree. Jones signing his contract without even sniffing FA tells the whole story. He's content to just be on the team. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were to cut Jones and keep another guy with big upside, at any position. We already know when he's in the game, we're done. #1BB, #2Dobbs, #3Wildcat offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Expectations? Since we are probably measuring WRs more than RBs, 25 of 35 attempts, with 3 TDs, 2 throwing, 1 running. Maybe an INT or 2, doesn't matter. Backup/3rd team WRs, Oline, and RBs.

Houston may get a series or 2 also. Probably 6 of 10, no scores.

Dwinsgames
08-10-2017, 01:13 PM

SUMMATION:

the difference in all this for me anyways if the defining element ...

Jones was the 3 behind a veteran backup where he was being groomed to MAYBE be the guy one day...

in this scenario he would be the 3 behind a rookie that took that job off of him ...

that for me would make him expendable

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown won’t play this week

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2017

It’s been clear for some time that the Steelers wouldn’t have running back Le'Veon Bell on the field for their preseason opener and the team announced that they will also face the Giants without two other key offensive players.

Coach Mike Tomlin announced on Wednesday that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide receiver Antonio Brown will also be out of the lineup to start the exhibition season. He said that everyone else who is healthy enough to play will be in the lineup.

That does not include backup quarterback Landry Jones, who has been out of action because of an abdominal injury. That has led to increased reps for fourth-round pick Josh Dobbs and Dobbs will be the starter against the Giants on Friday night. Bart Houston is the only other quarterback on the Steelers roster.

When the Steelers re-signed Jones this offseason, it was likely with the intent of keeping him as their No. 2 behind Roethlisberger. The extended look at Dobbs could alter those plans, especially if he shows well in game action.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/ben-roethlisberger-antonio-brown-wont-play-this-week/

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 04:19 PM

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 05:41 PM
I think Antwon Blake plays for the Giants ?!

Good news for our passing game tomorrow!

86WARD
08-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Well that will be a confidence booster for Dobber!

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 05:44 PM

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 06:09 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-10-2017, 06:23 PM
I can't wait to see our new LS!

08-10-2017, 06:28 PM
I heard he is a game time decision and hurt his thumb trying to solve Rubik's Cube. I hope we get to see him.

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 06:30 PM
I heard he is a game time decision and hurt his thumb trying to solve Rubik's Cube. I hope we get to see him.

who?

08-10-2017, 07:24 PM
who? I was joking about our new LS but sure it is Golson of course.

teegre
08-10-2017, 08:28 PM
the difference in all this for me anyways if the defining element ...

Jones was the 3 behind a veteran backup where he was being groomed to MAYBE be the guy one day...

in this scenario he would be the 3 behind a rookie that took that job off of him ...

that for me would make him expendable

QUESTION:
If I remember correctly, isn't Jones's salary equal to (less than) that if a 3rd stringer anyway?

(I'm asking, because I really don't know.)

If so, it wouldn't hurt (financially) to keep him... although, it would take up a roster spot (but, honestly, I think they keep three QBs regardless).

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 08:32 PM
QUESTION:
If I remember correctly, isn't Jones's salary equal to (less than) that if a 3rd stringer anyway?

If so, it wouldn't hurt (financially) to keep him... although, it would take up a roster spot (but, honestly, I think they keep three QBs regardless).

The salary of Jones is 2.2 millions per year(2 years contract)

Dwinsgames
08-10-2017, 08:35 PM
QUESTION:

2.2 million cap hit , 600k dead money if cut today ( signing bonus money )

whats the roster spot worth if you have a guy you want to keep and your once upon a time heir apparent drops to 3rd string ?

they probably would keep him for some reason they like going with 3 QBs ( and I get it IF the #3 is a rookie you do not want to expose to waivers ) but a journeyman who is marginal at the very best .... not so much

polamalubeast
08-10-2017, 08:39 PM
No matter what happens, Jones will be with us in 2017 and it will surely be as number 2

The steelers will not want to put a rookie QB on the field this year in the regular season if Roethlisberger gets injured unless they have no choice.

teegre
08-10-2017, 09:26 PM
2.2 million cap hit , 600k dead money if cut today ( signing bonus money )

whats the roster spot worth if you have a guy you want to keep and your once upon a time heir apparent drops to 3rd string ?

they probably would keep him for some reason they like going with 3 QBs ( and I get it IF the #3 is a rookie you do not want to expose to waivers ) but a journeyman who is marginal at the very best .... not so much

I'd like to see them then keep an extra WR. But, it's not going to happen.

Since the Steelers always seem to keep three QBs, Jones makes sense. The difference in cost between him (who knows the playbook) and Houston (who doesn't) is worth it.

Dwinsgames
08-10-2017, 09:31 PM
I'd like to see them then keep an extra WR. But, it's not going to happen.

Since the Steelers always seem to keep three QBs, Jones makes sense. The difference in cost between him (who knows the playbook) and Houston (who doesn't) is worth it.

if .. Jones went to #3 I would cut him and roll with just 2

teegre
08-10-2017, 09:45 PM
if .. Jones went to #3 I would cut him and roll with just 2

Man, I hope that Dobbs plays well enough to make that come to fruition.

DesertSteel
08-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Houston go go practice squad if he shows anything.

Born2Steel
08-11-2017, 09:32 AM
What we don't know....Can Dobbs have Dak-like success if thrust into the starter role?

What we do know.....Landry Jones cannot.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 10:15 AM
What we don't know....Can Dobbs have Dak-like success if thrust into the starter role?

What we do know.....Landry Jones cannot.

this

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
I may be wrong, but I think Dobbs will be the only rookie QB to start in week 1 in the pre season this year.

It will probably not be easy early, since I think the giants are going to have some starters in their defense in the beginning of game, but after I hope Dobbs will do well.

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 10:59 AM
What happens if Josh Dobbs struggles versus the Giants?

There is some real excitement starting to build about rookie quarterback Josh Dobbs making his NFL debut on Friday night. Dobbs will start for the Pittsburgh Steelers and should play a significant amount of snaps. This will be a great first look at what might be the future of the quarterback position in Pittsburgh.

But what if he struggles? Obviously, the world won’t come to an end but with backup Landry Jones injured the spotlight is shining very bring on the former Tennessee star.

Let’s expand the conversation beyond the team’s game against the New York Giants. What if Dobbs struggles throughout the preseason and Jones continues to miss time? Even with Ben Roethlisberger on the roster, the status of the depth chart becomes tenuous.

read more

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/11/what-happens-if-josh-dobbs-struggles-versus-the-giants/

SteelMayhem72
08-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Dobbs will not be the answer for us no matter if he does light it up in pre season...hate to say it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

steel striker
08-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Well I want to see a few things tonight and, it starts with Dobbs & TJ Watt & Connor. Plus see what JUJU can bring.

DesertSteel
08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Dobbs will not be the answer for us no matter if he does light it up in pre season...hate to say it

I'll forward this along to the coaches and FO so they can cease efforts.

Mojouw
08-11-2017, 02:42 PM
The answer to what question?

Elite franchise QB in waiting? Almost certainly not.
Andy Dalton level starter in a few years? A possibility.
Competent back-up QB? Again, a fairly distinct possibility.

Not every QB needs to be a HOF caliber franchise cornerstone to be an integral part of the roster.

BlackAndGold
08-11-2017, 02:43 PM

We have no idea if he will or not. Is it likely he'll be a future starting QB? No, but I'll never rule anything out.

Who would have thought 6th round pick Antonio Brown would become one of the best WR's in NFL history? Or better yet, what about Tom Brady? Tony Romo?

Anything is possible, which why we all watch sports, and get excited for rookies.

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Football is back baby !

sure it is preseason and many hate the concept but I on the other hand LOVE preseason football !!

why do I love it you may be thinking well its for several reasons per example

1) its football

2) to see the rookies

3) new acquisitions from free agency

4) how the depth has grown from the prior year

5) potential new starters how do they stack up vs the men they are replacing

there are just a few of the reasons I love the preseason tonight we get a first hand look in game action of what pieces we have to fill out the final 53 with , we will get to watch them grow over the next several weeks into the finished ( or semi finished) product we will enter into the quest for our 7th Lombardi ...

here are some things to look for in no specific order ..

our safety group

outside of the starters the group is thin can one of these young men step up and fortify the back end of the depth chart on the 53 ?
Jacob Hagen is a guy I would keep a close eye on he has a chance to unseat a guy like Dangerfield . I first noticed Jacob when scouting then CB Walt Aiken at Liberty Hagen flashed and I never forgot it .I think this young man has a chance , he knows the system after sticking on the practice squad nearly the entire 2016 season

Linebacker inside specifically ....
with the departure of Timmons that is a big hole to fill everyone thinks Vince Williams is the guy and he very well may be however I have heard rumblings from many who have been at camp in Latrobe that " Dirty Red" has been making his presence felt, Matakevich has always been known for a lunch pail mentality and great instincts , he is a tackling machine and always seems to be around the football , can those instincts offset his lack of true speed ? perhaps .... one team mate gave him Luke Kuechly like accolades ...those are big words/shoes for a 2nd year player but we will get a look tonight !

Corner

a few years ago we drafted a corner in the 2nd round named Golson who has never played a down due to injury in each camp we have had since being drafted , Golsons small stature made many take pause , he is injured yet again but tonight we may be watching the guy who will take his roster spot away for good in Tiny Mike Hilton a 5'8" slot cover corner who has been all the rage of training camp ...word is Hilton is like glue you can not shake him off in coverage and he will not hesitate to stick you with solid tackling ... this may be one of the biggest matchups to watch Mike Hilton vs whoever gets in his way

QB

Rookie Josh Dobbs the rocket scientist ... ( no really ) probably the smartest man in the entire organization ( so he will know the playbook ) the question is will Dobbs have the accuracy one wants to see as the potential heir apparent to Big Ben , we know Dobbs can get air under the ball and get it down field its the short to intermediate targets that we have questions about , its a big stage and a big test even in vanilla preseason football nothing would please me more than Dobbs having a good night and stealing the #2 job away in the coming weeks from perennial under achiever Landry Jones

several other guys I will have my eye on but these are just a few of the matchups that excite me the most ... enjoy the game and hopefully we see some good things and come away healthy

@Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames
08-11-2017, 06:06 PM
ustvnow.com is broadcasting the game if anyone needs a method to watch , not the clearest pic but it works

08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
ustvnow.com is broadcasting the game if anyone needs a method to watch , not the clearest pic but it works Pretty cool for free and watched a couple games on there last night. However I get the game locally with antenna and will be watching that way. Cool of you to give the heads up!

- - - Updated - - -

Watt!!!!!!!!!!!!

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27434-Preseason-Steelers-Giants-8-11-17?p=597271#post597271

JayC
08-11-2017, 06:25 PM
oooof not a good play there

Steelermania
08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
I think Antwon Blake plays for the Giants ?!

Good news for our passing game tomorrow!

LOL!!!!

polamalubeast
08-11-2017, 07:37 PM
LOL!!!!

It was easy!