PDA

View Full Version : AB To Burns: ‘This Is Too Easy’ Going Up Against Ross Cockrell

Dwinsgames
08-07-2017, 10:25 AM
If Ross Cockrell was envious about all of the work that the Pittsburgh Steelers’ coaches gave second-year cornerback Artie Burns against All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown, then perhaps his tune might have changed somewhat after two consecutive days of his fellow defensive back on the sidelines and him responsible for shadowing the best in the game.
While he may have had a few moments of his own over the span of the two days, it would be fair to say that Brown frequently had his way with the fourth-year cornerback who is no doubt inexperienced working against him, given that Burns has been covering him for essentially the past two years.
It got ugly early on during yesterday’s practice. During a one-on-one, according to Chris Adamski, the wide receiver burned Cockrell for an easy 35-yard hook-up for a ‘touchdown’. After celebrating in the end zone, Brown went up to Burns, nearby on the sideline.
“We miss you!”, he said, according to Adamski. “I need you out here! This is too easy! (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12585354-74/inside-the-ropes-james-harrison-gets-first-reps-of-training-camp)”.
That’s got to sting. The reporter notes that Cockrell did not appear to be amused. I certainly wouldn’t be if I asked for reps against Brown, only to be embarrassed by him on the field, and then verbally adjacent to it.

READ THE REST HERE http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/ab-burns-easy-going-ross-cockrell/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/ab-burns-easy-going-ross-cockrell/)

BlackAndGold
08-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Extreme confidence from AB. He has that rare Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant competitiveness where he isn't scared to say things like this.

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
To be fair, he wasn't saying it to the press, but to his teammates. We'd say the same on the playground.

Born2Steel
08-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Maybe AB said that to get Cockrell a bit more fired up in his coverage. If he's just going through the motions since he's all but guaranteed a roster spot, he's not helping anybody. You play like you practice.

Dwinsgames
08-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Brown vs Cockrell 4 for 6 and a pair of scores ...

it is what it is ...

ALLD
08-07-2017, 01:16 PM
I would rather AB embarrass his teammates to perform better rather than do some stupid celebration dance or something else dumb. Let the play speak for itself and then dump on the underperformers. AB is a wiseass and so am I.

st33lersguy
08-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Maybe they should have both Cockrell and Artie sharing reps against AB after Artie returns so both can become better

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Maybe they should have both Cockrell and Artie sharing reps against AB after Artie returns so both can become better

In fact, I hope that Bryant will arrive as soon as possible so that each players(Burns and Cockrell) has a great receiver in front of them.

st33lersguy
08-07-2017, 06:45 PM
In fact, I hope that Bryant will arrive as soon as possible so that each players(Burns and Cockrell) has a great receiver in front of them.

Yeah, and practice defending a different type of receiver to boot

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 07:52 PM

teegre
08-07-2017, 08:18 PM

AB beats 1:1 coverage 99.9% of the time.

lipps83
08-07-2017, 08:35 PM
AB beats 1:1 coverage 99.9% of the time.

Yeah, I would be more worried if it was Dan McCullers beating Cockrell.

GBMelBlount
08-07-2017, 08:39 PM
To be fair, he wasn't saying it to the press, but to his teammates. We'd say the same on the playground.

This.

I believe AB is doing this to make these guys better....he knows what it takes to be great.

Nothing got me more fired up than getting burned in practice or having the coach rip me a new one.

teegre
08-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I would be more worried if it was Dan McCullers beating Cockrell.

That reminds me of the Steelers Fever days, when someone swore that Cam Thomas played safety. :lol:

Dwinsgames
08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
That reminds me of the Steelers Fever days, when someone swore that Cam Thomas played safety. :lol:

well at least there is/was a safety named Cam Thomas from Western Kentucky I believe and if not mistaken played for the Bills ?

teegre
08-07-2017, 10:20 PM
well at least there is/was a safety named Cam Thomas from Western Kentucky I believe and if not mistaken played for the Bills ?

You are 100% correct. And, indeed, that is exactly who that poster thought that the Steelers had signed (from the Chargers).

Still... it became one of those inside jokes that never died. For example:

"I heard Brett Keisel is out for the Saints game."

"Crap... who's gonna play corner in his place???"

SteelerFanInStl
08-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Then Cockrell needs to step up his game. Cockrell specifically asked for reps against AB and now he's getting them. Time to put up or shut up.

hawaiiansteeler
08-08-2017, 02:58 PM

free or strong? :lol:

43Hitman
08-09-2017, 03:12 AM
We may want to keep an eye on Mike Hilton, from what Tunch is saying, he's having a great camp. So far he has the most pass break up's and interceptions in camp. He also said that he has looked great on ST's and could become a ST demon and that he is not afraid of contact. I love it when we find these late round gems. I have my fingers crossed that he can provide some much needed depth at that position.

Count Steeler
08-09-2017, 05:11 AM
We may want to keep an eye on Mike Hilton, from what Tunch is saying, he's having a great camp. So far he has the most pass break up's and interceptions in camp. He also said that he has looked great on ST's and could become a ST demon and that he is not afraid of contact. I love it when we find these late round gems. I have my fingers crossed that he can provide some much needed depth at that position.

And if he has half a brain, we have made a major improvement over Sharknado.