PDA

View Full Version : John Mitchell Explains Why L.T. Walton Was Moved To Nose Tackle

Shoes
08-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Time for McCullers to get on the river barge!

If you’ve been following along with the daily Pittsburgh Steelers training camp practice reports that our very own Alex Kozora has been filling, you already probably noticed that third-year defensive lineman L.T. Walton is working almost exclusively as the second-team nose tackle and thus ahead of fourth-year defensive lineman Daniel McCullers. In an interview a few days ago on Steelers Nation Radio, veteran defensive line coach John Mitchell talked a little about Walton’s move and why it happened.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/john-mitchell-explains-l-t-walton-moved-nose-tackle/

BlackAndGold
08-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Yep, looking like McCullers is done.

Walton played very well last year in place of Heyward. Hopefully the coaching staff gives both Heyward and Tuitt some rest since there is legit talent behind them.

Mojouw
08-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Bad news for Big Dan. But better news that Walton is basically forcing the team to find a way to put him on the field.

I also think that that without coming right out and saying it, Steelers are moving away from rigid positions on the d line.

pczach
08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Bad news for Big Dan. But better news that Walton is basically forcing the team to find a way to put him on the field.

I also think that that without coming right out and saying it, Steelers are moving away from rigid positions on the d line.

I think this is absolutely correct.

I have believed that they want this defense to be scheme versatile, and that being able to play multiple positions and techniques is at a premium.

If you can keep the same personnel on the field and play multiple schemes, it puts your team at an advantage and makes it harder for quarterbacks to identify defenses. It also makes it more difficult to call protections.

ALLD
08-07-2017, 08:15 PM
It's a way to place men who want to play on the field and a hat on a hat. They say the average career of most NFL players is 3 seasons.