PDA

View Full Version : Coaches who deserve a closer look from the Hall of Fame(Cowher on the list)

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 09:44 AM
As six retired players and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took their spots in the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend, legendary coaches remained on the sideline. This was the ninth time in the past 11 years that no coaches earned enshrinement. Seventy-three of 75 inductees over that span were not coaches, and with Don Coryell falling short as a finalist 31 years after coaching his final game, the guys responsible for motivating grown men could use a pep talk themselves.

There is hope. John Madden waited 28 years, Hank Stram waited 26 and George Allen waited 25, which reflects the process as much as anything. Coaches compete in the same category as players on the theory both made their marks at field level, unlike contributors. It's a debatable premise and a problem for coaches whose candidacies require some deliberation

Using research from Pro Football Reference and other sources, here are six former coaches whose candidacies deserve a closer look:

Bill Cowher
Regular season: 149-90-1 (.623)
Playoffs: 12-9
Super Bowls: 1-1 as a head coach

Where he ranks: 20th in regular-season victories, tied for 14th in games above .500 (59), tied for seventh in postseason victories

What to know: Ben Roethlisberger became a top-tier quarterback, but he was not one when Cowher was coaching him. That means Cowher took the Steelers to two Super Bowls with two different below-top-tier quarterbacks. Cowher also took two very different teams to the biggest stage, with nine years in between those Super Bowl runs. His Steelers reached six AFC title games during his 15-year run as head coach.

read more

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20265133/nfl-hall-fame-coaches-deserve-closer-look-including-marty-schottenheimer-chuck-knox

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 09:49 AM
There will be a shortage in the Worlds bronze supply after they make Cower's bust. The massive chin will require truck loads of the stuff.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 10:25 AM
For me if Dungy is in the HOF, Cowher deserves to be in too.

And I can't believe it took 26 years for John Madden to be in!

st33lersguy
08-06-2017, 11:46 AM
For me if Dungy is in the HOF, Cowher deserves to be in too.

And I can't believe it took 26 years for John Madden to be in!

Agreed, both were consistent winners, both took their teams to the playoffs on a consistent basis, both have 1 Super Bowl apiece, and their biggest flaws were numerous playoff failures. Really the biggest difference is that Cowher had more conference championship appearances while Dungy had more one-and-done appearances

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Agreed, both were consistent winners, both took their teams to the playoffs on a consistent basis, both have 1 Super Bowl apiece, and their biggest flaws were numerous playoff failures. Really the biggest difference is that Cowher had more conference championship appearances while Dungy had more one-and-done appearances

The advantage Dungy had over Cowher is his winning percentage in the regular season, but Dungy had one of the best QB of all-time for half of his career, which explains this advantage.

teegre
08-06-2017, 06:34 PM
John Madden would have been in sooner, but they sent in his ballot by bus (instead of by plane).

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 06:53 PM
John Madden would have been in sooner, but they sent in his ballot by bus (instead of by plane).

John Madden has the 2nd best winning percentage in nfl history and it was in 136 games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

I can't believe it took 26 years for Madden to be in the HOF.

Maybe it was because Madden had only 1 super bowl, but the AFC in the 1970s was loaded with the Steelers and the Dolphins.

AtlantaDan
08-06-2017, 06:59 PM
John Madden has the 2nd best winning percentage in nfl history and it was in 136 games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

I can't believe it took 26 years for Madden to be in the HOF.

Maybe it was because Madden had only 1 super bowl, but the AFC in the 1970s was loaded with the Steelers and the Dolphins.

I doubt Madden makes it without the broadcast career and video game - the perception was Al Davis ran the show in Oakland

Leaves Cowher in the dust when it comes to losing AFC championship games (1969, 1970, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977)

Was 42 (!) when he quit coaching after 10 seasons - it was unheard of for a head coach getting a gig at age 32 back then

st33lersguy
08-06-2017, 09:13 PM
The advantage Dungy had over Cowher is his winning percentage in the regular season, but Dungy had one of the best QB of all-time for half of his career, which explains this advantage.

Cowher was also 22-3 with Big Ben as his starting QB in 04 and 05 before Ben was greatly affected by the motorcycle, appendectomy, and concussion in 06

86WARD
08-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Surprised ESPN didn't try to crow bar Jon Gruden in there.

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Cowher was also 22-3 with Big Ben as his starting QB in 04 and 05 before Ben was greatly affected by the motorcycle, appendectomy, and concussion in 06

2006 season was a train wreck for which I put a lot of the blame on Cowher for checking out mentally - AJR II was not going to meet his contract demands to stay and his wife & daughters had already moved to Raleigh (IMO the deal was Cowher planned to retire after the 2005 season then came back after the Super Bowl win)

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 09:55 AM
No doubt, 2006 was the worst year for Cowher of his career (same thing for Ben).Cowher had his head elsewhere, it was obvious.

But it takes nothing away from what Cowher did with a young franchise QB in 2004 and 2005.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt Madden makes it without the broadcast career and video game - the perception was Al Davis ran the show in Oakland

Leaves Cowher in the dust when it comes to losing AFC championship games (1969, 1970, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977)

Was 42 (!) when he quit coaching after 10 seasons - it was unheard of for a head coach getting a gig at age 32 back then

My only problem is that Madden had a better career than Dungy as HC, but Dungy has been in the HOF in his 2nd or 3rd year