PDA

View Full Version : A new chapter in Heinz Field's quest for not-terrible turf

stillers4me
08-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Let’s say you got too drunk at a wedding. Time will pass and things will change, but to most witnesses, you’ll still be the drunk guy from the wedding. Some things, you can’t live down.

Punts, like that one during the infamous Steelers-Dolphins Monday night game in 2007, shouldn’t land in such a fashion. Football should be played on grass, not in the middle of a freshwater marsh.

That stuck with people; now, even 10 years later, if you were to poll random football fans on the Heinz Field playing surface, smart money would be on the phrase “mud punt” coming up a whole lot.

Not for nothing, the Steelers have changed things up since then — and they’ve done it again for the 2017 season. For the first time since the dreaded DD GrassMaster installation in 2003 (more on that later), there’s a full-on new playing surface at Heinz.......

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/08/04/heinz-field-turf-problems-steelers-2017-new-scoreboard-daktronics/stories/201708040149

ALLD
08-04-2017, 04:11 PM
They need a hybrid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2wippcbYo

pczach
08-04-2017, 04:42 PM
They need a hybrid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2wippcbYo

Ha! I was thinking the same thing!:smokin:

steelreserve
08-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Stop playing other football games on it the day before the pro football game, and I guarantee you it will be better.

If I remember right, the Dolphins Monday-night punt game was because the field was so torn up from playing like EIGHT high-school games on the field that weekend that they couldn't do anything about it, and as an emergency measure simply put down new rolls of sod right on top of the old turf. So of course they got a less than ideal result. Every season the field gets ruined after that and stays fucked up for the rest of the year.

They need to knock that shit off and play the high school games at like ... Penn State or somewhere with field turf. It's not like they need a 60,000-seat stadium for that anyway; I mean, I guess it sounds kind of cool, but do they ever even come close to filling it up?

salamander
08-04-2017, 08:57 PM
As far as Pitt and the high school games playing at Heinz Field, I'm pretty sure that was part of the agreement when it was being built because of the use of public funds to build the stadium so I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

Lady Steel
08-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Stop playing other football games on it the day before the pro football game, and I guarantee you it will be better.

If I remember right, the Dolphins Monday-night punt game was because the field was so torn up from playing like EIGHT high-school games on the field that weekend that they couldn't do anything about it, and as an emergency measure simply put down new rolls of sod right on top of the old turf. So of course they got a less than ideal result. Every season the field gets ruined after that and stays fucked up for the rest of the year.

They need to knock that shit off and play the high school games at like ... Penn State or somewhere with field turf. It's not like they need a 60,000-seat stadium for that anyway; I mean, I guess it sounds kind of cool, but do they ever even come close to filling it up?

University Park, State College, PA, home of Penn State, is 2-1/2 hours east of Pittsburgh. :lol: