PDA

View Full Version : Martavis Bryant Will Take the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Or Spoil Their Season. Again.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 03:29 PM
One morning during the Steelers’ 2015 training camp, Martavis Bryant went missing. Before a string of failed drug tests endangered his career, the second-year receiver was already in trouble. “Where is he?” coaches asked QB Tajh Boyd, a camp invitee who’d thrown to Bryant at Clemson. “I don’t know,” Boyd responded. “Martavis is his own man.”

When Bryant finally showed up—he says he overslept—he was greeted with what was becoming the usual punishment. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley issued a few stern words, 68-year-old wideouts coach Richard Mann produced another dressing down and head coach Mike Tomlin cut to the chase: Now you owe me some money.

Tomlin kept an eye on his debtor all afternoon, which meant he was watching when Ben Roethlisberger unleashed a deep ball—presumably too deep given the curse word Big Ben let fly as it left his hand. But there was Bryant, showing off his 4.4 speed, 6' 4" frame and 79-inch wingspan, diving to catch a pass that even Boyd thought was out of the receiver’s reach. Said Tomlin, “That’s why we need him, right there.”

read more

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/01/nfl-martavis-bryant-return-suspension-pittsburgh-steelers

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the link :drink:

Character concerns contributed to Bryant’s slide to No. 118 in the 2014 draft, and he justified all of those doubts at his first OTAs. The 22-year-old rookie knew nothing about the NFL’s drug program until he received a note on his locker after one of those first practices: He would be tested sometime within the next four hours. Bryant says he had marijuana in his system, and he failed. And still. . . . He didn’t stop. “I smoked because I was able to,” he says. As for the drug program, “I never really paid it no mind.” He kept failing tests, earning himself two fines and then the four-game suspension....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/01/nfl-martavis-bryant-return-suspension-pittsburgh-steelers

I guess wait and see - almost anyone can say the right things in an interview, but Bryant did not really try to even do that

If it works out fine - if not life goes on.

I just get the vibe with constant testing Bryant will fail again

Hawkman
08-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Really!!?? I didn't even have to read the article. If our season REALLY rides on Bryant.....give me a break. Bryant is a luxury to me. Our season rides on all the Bs staying health, and the D stepping it up two levels.....in my opinion. SPOIL THEIR SEASON...

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 05:46 PM
False this teams destiny is only in the hands of one player. He wears #7.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-01-2017, 06:03 PM
I think we are good without him this year but would be amazing if we have him throughout the season.

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 06:10 PM
I think we are good without him this year but would be amazing if we have him throughout the season.I'm anticipating 12 games and an early exit from the AFC Championship by the one the only LeVeon Bell. He'll disappear for the crucial moments and then insist on top dollar come negotiation time.

st33lersguy
08-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Really!!?? I didn't even have to read the article. If our season REALLY rides on Bryant.....give me a break. Bryant is a luxury to me. Our season rides on all the Bs staying health, and the D stepping it up two levels.....in my opinion. SPOIL THEIR SEASON...

Agreed. And Tajh Boyd claims that if Bryant played the Steelers would have won. Apparently Boyd did not watch one play where the defense was on the field in that AFC Championship game

GBMelBlount
08-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Bryant may be THE difference maker we need THIS year imo.

Next year he may not be as vital as I think we may again be better on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

teegre
08-01-2017, 09:23 PM
And Tajh Boyd claims that if Bryant played the Steelers would have won.

Dear Tajh Boyd,

If Charles Manson hadn't killed those people, he would be a free man.

Shoes
08-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Bryant may be THE difference maker we need THIS year imo.

Next year he may not be as vital as I think we may again be better on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

I agree and think he will be a huge difference maker. If he can stay clean, he will retire a Steeler...imo.

08-02-2017, 12:58 AM
Dear Tajh Boyd,

If Charles Manson hadn't killed those people, he would be a free man. Charlie never killed anyone and just talk others into doing it for him. Kinda hope Bryant has the same charm/influence and can talk others into taking his urine test for him.

Mojouw
08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
If Bryant stays clean and keeps his head out of his ass - his ceiling is Randy Moss. He can emerge as a player who alters defensive gameplans, makes DBs paranoid, and generally causes havoc.

Will that happen? What do I know. But the physical ability is there.

Dwinsgames
08-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Ed Bouchette‏Verified account @EdBouchette (https://twitter.com/EdBouchette) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/892767930445910017)

Ben questions why NFL is taking so long to fully reinstate Steelers WR Martavis Bryant. Says he has done all asked of him

teegre
08-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Charlie never killed anyone and just talk others into doing it for him.

True.

I thought about using Gacy for that very reason, but decided upon Helter Skelter because of what you said: people tend to bring up the fact that Manson didn't actually wield the knife... and likewise, people tend to blame Goodell/the system for Bryant's suspensions.

AtlantaDan
08-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Bryant's agent and the NFLPA should be leading the charge on this rather than Ben or the Steelers front office needing to antagonize the league office - sound of crickets from the agent regarding when Bryant's plan to establish local drug counseling support in Pittsburgh was submitted

In other developments in the soap opera Days Of Our Steelers

08-04-2017, 08:19 PM
True.

I thought about using Gacy for that very reason, but decided upon Helter Skelter because of what you said: people tend to bring up the fact that Manson didn't actually wield the knife... and likewise, people tend to blame Goodell/the system for Bryant's suspensions. Get ya and speaking of the SOB 10 pm on NBC there seriously talking about paroling him.