PDA

View Full Version : Steelers announce plans for Hall of Honor

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 08:10 AM
PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced plans for a Hall of Honor, it was announced today by the team. The Hall of Honor will induct former players, coaches, and front office personnel who were integral in creating and sustaining the franchise’s success dating back to when the team was founded in 1933.

“The Hall of Honor will serve as a tribute to the many individuals who have contributed greatly throughout the history of our franchise,” Steelers President Art Rooney II said. “This is probably long overdue, and we are excited to begin the process of recognizing these individuals and their accomplishments, both on and off the field, during an annual series of ceremonies.”

The Hall of Honor’s Inaugural Class will be announced on Tuesday, Aug. 29. The formal induction ceremony will take place during Alumni Weekend (Nov. 25-26), and the inaugural class will be introduced during halftime of the Steelers game vs. the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 26.

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-announce-plans-for-Hall-of-Honor/7150ef93-33ba-4401-ad2b-f5b4a50caada

86WARD
08-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Chuck Knoll, Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Rooney Family should be locks for the Inaugural Class.

stillers4me
08-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Wow! It's about time!

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 08:40 AM
The only thing left to decide is whom the Steelers will induct as their inaugural class. They certainly have many choices, starting with the 24 Pro Football Hall of Famers they claim as their own.

Could that entire group kick things off or would that be too many for one class, even the first one?

They could start with their own Mount Rushmore of franchise founder Art Rooney Sr., his son Dan Rooney, coach Chuck Noll and the acknowledged most important player in team history, Joe Greene. There would be few arguments with that inaugural class.

If they want to expand their initial class and add a few more who already have been installed in Canton, that is where the debates and arguments could start. Who do you pick first, John Stallworth or Lynn Swann? It was a debate that went on for years among the voting members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame before Swann broke the ice in the Class of 2001 and Stallworth followed a year later.

Linebackers Jack Ham and Jack Lambert were inducted at Canton in their first years of eligibility. Could the Steelers install one over the other first in their own Hall? Mike Webster or Dermontti Dawson? Mel Blount or Rod Woodson?

Some tough choices there and elsewhere.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/01/Steelers-Hall-of-Honor-fame-art-rooney-sr-dan-rooney-chuck-noll-joe-greene-enshrined-heinz-field/stories/201708010088

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! It's about time!

I am so happy too!

tube517
08-01-2017, 08:41 AM
At least LC and Donnie will be no brainers in this Hall.

It's about time, though.

Will Troy show up? We all know he hates the Steelers. :rolleyes:

Bradshaw will probably no show.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Chuck Knoll, Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Rooney Family should be locks for the Inaugural Class.

I don't know how many people the Steelers will select, but if Bradshaw is selected, I hope he will be there.

I know that the steelers retire very few number (only 2 actually) but I would like to see the Bradshaw number be retired one day

Born2Steel
08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
It's a Hall of Honor for everything and everyone Steeler? I hope they make it more of a franchise history than a HoF type members hall. I would rather see a Steelers franchise historical tribute style hall that honors not just the HoF players and coaches.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 08:48 AM
At least LC and Donnie will be no brainers in this Hall.

It's about time, though.

Will Troy show up? We all know he hates the Steelers. :rolleyes:

Bradshaw will probably no show.

For Bradshaw, it's 50/50.

Bradshaw was there in 2007 on the 75th anniversary of the steelers, but he was not at the funeral of Noll and Dan Rooney.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a Hall of Honor for everything and everyone Steeler? I hope they make it more of a franchise history than a HoF type members hall. I would rather see a Steelers franchise historical tribute style hall that honors not just the HoF players and coaches.

agreed

tube517
08-01-2017, 09:01 AM
I don't know how many people the Steelers will select, but if Bradshaw is selected, I hope he will be there.

I know that the steelers retire very few number (only 2 actually) but I would like to see the Bradshaw number be retired one day

I'd like to see Bradshaw there as well but I wouldn't count on it. He's so schizophrenic when it comes to his love/hate for the city/team.

Bradshaw and Blount would probably be next up for retired jerseys.

- - - Updated - - -

I (would like to) think they would include players like Donnie Shell, LC Greenwood, Jon Kolb, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Aaron Smith, Carnell Lake, etc etc. I could go on but there are so many players that were very good but will probably never get in the HoF.

Mojouw
08-01-2017, 09:38 AM
SO are they going to announce the building of a massive new facility? They have a ton of folks that should go into this thing. I mean the inaugural class could be like 40-50 people before we really start getting into debates.

stillers4me
08-01-2017, 10:02 AM
I think the inaugural class is a no brainer. I hope at some point they break the rules to give Myron Cope an honor. What would Steelers Nation be without the Terrible Towel?

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 10:06 AM
It hasn’t been announced how many players will be inducted to the first class or if there’s any limit. But let’s assume five names get in. Who are your starting five? Here’s my list.

Art Rooney Sr.
Dan Rooney
Chuck Noll
Joe Greene
Jack Lambert

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-create-hall-honor/

I love Jack Lambert, but I would put Bradshaw ahead of him if the limit is 5, if of course Bradshaw decide to show up!

Dwinsgames
08-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Myron Cope needs to be in there for sure too without him no towel and so much lore is erased from the landscape at Steelers games

86WARD
08-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Good call.

tube517
08-01-2017, 10:32 AM
This would be my inaugural class.

The Rooneys and Noll should get their own wing.

Players:

Ernie Stautner (1950)
Joe Greene (1969)
LC Greenwood (1969)
Terry Bradshaw (1970)
Mel Blount (1970)
Jack Ham (1971)
Franco Harris (1972)
Lynn Swann (1974)
Jack Lambert (1974)
John Stallworth (1974)
Mike Webster (1974)
Donnie Shell (1974)

(That is in order by draft/entry into the league)

Mojouw is dead on. They will need a big ass building to fit all these names.

DesertSteel
08-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Bruce Arians!

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Bruce Arians!

No, but I have no doubt that Dick LeBeau will be honored at some point.Just not this year.

Same thing for Bill Cowher.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 12:27 PM
All players who are in the HOF should be introduced by the Steelers and I include Polamalu and Faneca since it is certain they will be in the HOF someday.But after that is going to be interesting the players (and coaches) who will be introduced by the steelers.

If we are only talking about the players or coaches they are retired but they are not at the HOF, Donnie Shell, L. Greenwood, Hines Ward and Bill Cowher are a lock to be introduced by the steelers someday.

Surely I forget a few players for the lock, but the question how far will the steelers go?

86WARD
08-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Players after the 80s - the list is endless...just on LBs alone...lol.

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Unnecessary. Waste of time and resources. Just another ploy to keep fans living in the past. It's great they won 4 Super Bowls in the 70's. But Honestly I'm tired of hearing about it!

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Unnecessary.

why?

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 01:25 PM

November 26 is the Sunday after Thanksgiving - Fox would give him the day off but he can use that as an excuse not to show up - if it was not that it would be something else

Since Chuck Noll will be inducted his widow Marianne presumably will be there to accept on his behalf - given Bradshaw's comments and actions over the years doubt he wants to deal with that and in Their Life's Work by Gary Pomerantz Bradshaw made it clear his teammates also are a part of his past he has left behind

If you limit it to 5 these are mine (Bradshaw certainly deserves to get in but since he has napalmed his bridges to the team not in the first 5)

The Chief (only one owner in first five although Dan, Jr. was the owner who helped build the dynasty)
Joe Greene
Jack Lambert (who also might not show unless he gets a sufficient appearance fee - Lambert blew off the 2007 all time Steelers team ceremony)
Franco
Troy (need to acknowledge that not only the 70s teams won Lombardis)

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 01:30 PM
why?One grows tired of hearing about a team that played 40 years ago. That horse has been beaten to death a million times.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 01:32 PM
November 26 is the Sunday after Thanksgiving - Fox would give him the day off but he can use that as an excuse not to show up - if it was not that it would be something else

Since Chuck Noll will be inducted his widow Marianne presumably will be there to accept on his behalf - given Bradshaw's comments and actions over the years doubt he wants to deal with that and in Their Life's Work by Gary Pomerantz Bradshaw made it clear his teammates also are a part of his past he has left behind

If you limit it to 5 these are mine (Bradshaw certainly deserves to get in but since he has napalmed his bridges to the team not in the first 5)

The Chief (only one owner in first five although Dan, Jr. was the owner who helped build the dynasty)
Joe Greene
Jack Lambert (who also might not show unless he gets a sufficient appearance fee - Lambert blew off the 2007 all time Steelers team ceremony)
Franco

Troy Polamalu is not eligible for now, since this is only 2 seasons he is retired.

The following are the guidelines for eligibility to be considered for the Steelers’ Hall of Honor:

FORMER PLAYERS:
• Retired for at least three seasons
• Must have played for the Steelers for a minimum of three seasons
• Should possess noteworthy career highlights, records, and achievements

FORMER COACHES AND CONTRIBUTORS:
• Significant contributions to the team and community

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-announce-plans-for-Hall-of-Honor/7150ef93-33ba-4401-ad2b-f5b4a50caada

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Bradshaw should be left out. He hates Pittsburgh. Why kiss his ass? He has zero loyalty.

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 01:36 PM
One grows tired of hearing about a team that played 40 years ago. That horse has been beaten to death a million times.

It is more than the 70s teams

FWIW the 33 members of the 2007 all time team included 14 non-70s players

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers_All-Time_Team

Mojouw
08-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Non 70's entrants:

Lloyd
Greene
Woodson
Lake
Lipps
Bettis
Troy
Hines
Kirkland
Hampton
Aaron Smith
Nickerson
Little
Ike
Porter
Foster
Steed
Willie Williams - that tackle saved a season!
Cowher
Lebeau
Capers
Cope
Rooneys

BurghBoy412
I believe it's this "living on past accomplishment" attitude that has the Patriots 1 title away from the all time lead. Let the past go the only season that counts is the season being prepared for and played.

AtlantaDan
Troy Polamalu is not eligible for now, since this is only 2 seasons he is retired.

The following are the guidelines for eligibility to be considered for the Steelers’ Hall of Honor:

FORMER PLAYERS:
• Retired for at least three seasons
• Must have played for the Steelers for a minimum of three seasons
• Should possess noteworthy career highlights, records, and achievements

FORMER COACHES AND CONTRIBUTORS:
• Significant contributions to the team and community

Depends if they count the 2017 season as a retired season - IMO the Steelers did not pick that three season rule out of thin air and had someone in mind when they established that time limit

If that knocks out Troy then substitute Bettis - do not need this to be another 70s Steelers get together

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 01:45 PM
I believe it's this "living on past accomplishment" attitude that has the Patriots 1 title away from the all time lead. Let the past go the only season that counts is the season being prepared for and played.

If you hate the good memories of the Steelers, it's your problem!

- - - Updated - - -

Depends if they count the 2017 season as a retired season - IMO the Steelers did not pick that three season rule out of thin air and had someone in mind when they established that time limit

If that knocks out Troy then substitute Bettis - do not need this to be another 70s Steelers get together

I think they count the 2017 season as a retired season.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Non 70's entrants:

Lloyd
Greene
Woodson
Lake
Lipps
Bettis
Troy
Hines
Kirkland
Hampton
Aaron Smith
Nickerson
Little
Ike
Porter
Foster
Steed
Cowher
Lebeau
Capers
Cope
Rooneys

Great list.James Farrior and Heath Miller could also be considered.

Mojouw
08-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Great list.James Farrior and Heath Miller could also be considered.

How in the world I forgot those two - I don't know!!!

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Since I assume you have been to Heinz then I guess you have blown off going to the Great Hall (which is what is holding back the Steelers from being able to stop Brady?)

Honoring and celebrating the past is not the same as living in it

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
How in the world I forgot those two - I don't know!!!

This is almost impossible to name everybody when the list is very long!

86WARD
08-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Joe Greene
Franco

That game will be a Fox game and could be broadcasted live from Heinz Field.

86WARD
08-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Non 70's entrants:

Lloyd
Greene
Woodson
Lake
Lipps
Bettis
Troy
Hines
Kirkland
Hampton
Aaron Smith
Nickerson
Little
Ike
Porter
Foster
Steed
Cowher
Lebeau
Capers
Cope
Rooneys

Gary Anderson, Tunch Ilkin

One player I would consider to add because the story of the Steelers can't be told without him would be Hoge.

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Since the studio show is in LA doubtful they would go on the road for a regular season game

Bottom line is if Bradshaw wants to go he can get the day off and even interview some of his fellow inductees (and Tomlin:grin:) for the Fox pregame chucklefest - I know how I am betting on that one

Mojouw
08-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Gary Anderson, Tunch Ilkin

One player I would consider to add because the story of the Steelers can't be told without him would be Hoge.

All those are great. I forgot so many entrants:

Dawson
Marvel Smith

and a host of others!

tube517
08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Since the studio show is in LA doubtful they would go on the road for a regular season game

Bottom line is if Bradshaw wants to go he can get the day off and even interview some of his fellow inductees (and Tomlin:grin:) for the pregame chucklefest - I know how I am betting on that one

:pop2:

usoutpost31
08-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Every team should do this. Select their own all time greats, tell their own history. Better than turning it over to a HOF committee, IMO.

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Every team should do this. Select their own all time greats, tell their own history. Better than turning it over to a HOF committee, IMO.

One organization that does it well by keeping it highly selective is the Cowboys with their Ring of Honor

A look at the 21 members of the Dallas Cowboys' Ring of Honor.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboysheadlines/2015/10/30/honor-roll-ex-cowboys-great-darren-woodson-set-enter-ring

86WARD
08-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Bottom line is if Bradshaw wants to go he can get the day off and even interview some of his fellow inductees (and Tomlin:grin:) for the Fox pregame chucklefest - I know how I am betting on that one

That could be a big game and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would do an on-location broadcast. They have done it many times before and I think one season they were on the road every week. Not sure they've done it recently outside playoffs or Super Bowl though.

Regardless, if Bradshaw gets inducted and wants to be there, he will be there.

ALLD
08-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I would substitute Mel Blount for Bradshaw just to piss Terry off.

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Huge waste of time. I've seen the 6 Super Bowl trophies. I was disappointed. If there was 10, I might have been impressed. When New England passes the Steelers with 7 Lomabardi trophies in the modern era the 70's trophies will be nullified.

polamalubeast
08-01-2017, 05:52 PM

The game is in NBC on SNF.....

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2017/REG12

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Huge waste of time. I've seen the 6 Super Bowl trophies. I was disappointed. If there was 10, I might have been impressed. When New England passes the Steelers with 7 Lomabardi trophies in the modern era the 70's trophies will be nullified.

:sofunny: - is this LITP? (inside joke for those of us from the old SFF days :chuckle: )

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 06:04 PM
:sofunny: - is this LITP? (inside joke for those of us from the old SFF days :chuckle: )Of course I'm joking

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Will this Hall of Honor include players that average 12 games a season?

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Will this Hall of Honor include players that average 12 games a season?

Sarcasm aside, yes - the NFL did not go to a 14 game regular season until 1961 :rolleyes:

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Sarcasm aside, yes - the NFL did not go to a 14 game regular season until 1961 :rolleyes:I don't know much about the pre 70's Steelers. What players from 1933 -1970 would you put in the Hall of Honor?

st33lersguy
08-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Love this

They should get like 10 to start

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Ernie Stautner?

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I don't know much about the pre 70's Steelers. What players from 1933 -1970 would you put in the Hall of Honor?

I started following the team in the late 60s shortly before Noll arrived

Definitely Ernie Stautner - fans older than me said he established the image of the Steelers defense beating the other team up before Mean Joe and the rest of the Steel Curtain arrived - a case can be made for Stautner being up there with Mean Joe, Lambert, Ham (who IMO is under appreciated even though he is in Canton) and Woodson.

Jack Butler was a DB who made the HOF several years ago - hard to leave him out and put non-HOF players like Carnell Lake in simply because Lake was on TV

The problem the pre-Noll oldtimers face is they played on lousy teams and few fans are around to remember them - Joe Gordon is on the selection committee but a lot of the institutional memory from the pre-Noll days is gone now that Dan Rooney has passed - so players from the first 36 years of the franchise are simply forgotten

BurghBoy412
08-01-2017, 08:23 PM
I started following the team in the late 60s shortly before Noll arrived

Definitely Ernie Stautner - fans older than me said he established the image of the Steelers defense beating the other team up before Mean Joe and the rest of the Steel Curtain arrived - a case can be made for Stautner being up there with Mean Joe, Lambert, Ham (who IMO is under appreciated even though he is in Canton) and Woodson.

Jack Butler was a DB who made the HOF several years ago - hard to leave him out and put non-HOF players like Carnell Lake in simply because Lake was on TV

The problem the pre-Noll oldtimers face is they played on lousy teams and few fans are around to remember them - Joe Gordon is on the selection committee but a lot of the institutional memory from the pre-Noll days is gone now that Dan Rooney has passed - so players from the first 36 years of the franchise are simply forgottenThanks for sharing! It's a shame that the pre Super Bowl players kinda get forgotten. I read that Stautner played both ways and sounds like one tough S.O.B. I wish there was game footage.

AtlantaDan
08-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Thanks for sharing! It's a shame that the pre Super Bowl players kinda get forgotten. I read that Stautner played both ways and sounds like one tough S.O.B. I wish there was game footage.

Could not embed but this is a video link

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/vS4mPNHU/ernie-stautner_dvd.mp4

fansince'76
08-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Maybe Bradshaw will ask to be paid for his appearance, like that SB pregame a few years back. :rolleyes:

Dwinsgames
08-01-2017, 09:34 PM
thinking about this a bit and I believe if we are talking like 4 initial members then for me it has to be this ....

Art and Dan Rooney , Bill Nunn and Chas " The Emperor" Noll without those 4 none of the rest matter that was the foundation , you never have the drafts we had back in the 70s without Bill Nunn ,

no Bill Nunn and we may never see 1 Lombardi let alone 4 in the 70s , same can be said for Noll ...

but without Dan Rooney we may never have Noll ....

without Art we have no Dan or a team ....

so there is my FIRST 4

teegre
08-01-2017, 09:43 PM
thinking about this a bit and I believe if we are talking like 4 initial members then for me it has to be this ....

Art and Dan Rooney , Bill Nunn and Chas " The Emperor" Noll without those 4 none of the rest matter that was the foundation , you never have the drafts we had back in the 70s without Bill Nunn ,

no Bill Nunn and we may never see 1 Lombardi let alone 4 in the 70s , same can be said for Noll ...

so there is my FIRST 4

This pretty much says it all.

43Hitman
08-02-2017, 03:14 AM

so there is my FIRST 4Hard to argue that logic. Great post!

tube517
08-02-2017, 06:10 AM

so there is my FIRST 4

Bill Nunn Sr's early years recruits: L.C. Greenwood (Arkansas AM&N), Mel Blount (Southern), Ernie Holmes (Texas Southern), John Stallworth (Alabama A&M) and Donnie Shell (South Carolina State).

That's just the early 70s. He was a scout through the last 2 Super Bowls in 05 and 08 as well. Huge huge impact and he should be up there as well. That's 1/2 of the Steel Curtain Dline, 1/2 of the great secondary, and the 1/2 "hour" of one of the greatest WR duos of all time.

Butch
08-02-2017, 07:28 AM
I have always said this is what they should do to honor players as opposed to retiring jerseys. I think it's a fantastic idea, but not sure why they need to limit the number of players they induct into it. It also gives them a chance to honor those Steelers who have been snubbed by the Hall of fame or great ones who were pivotal yet did not have the stats to get into the hall.

Tons of names that need to be honored I would love to make the trip to the burgh and see this one day.

steelerdude15
08-02-2017, 08:02 AM
My first four would be the Chief, Dan, Chuck, and Mean Joe.

The Chief because he started the team and was the owner from 1933 to 1988.

Dan because he hired Chuck when he took over the team as President, was in charge of the team for years, and he was such a great person.

Chuck because he started the winning tradition we continue to have to this day, winning 4 Super Bowls in six years, and coaching/drafting one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

Mean Joe because he is the greatest player in franchise history. It started with him. He brought that nasty, physical presence this team needed when they were the lovable losers of the NFL. He also helped out the franchise in other ways after he retired by coaching and scouting. He's the only player who has all six Super Bowl rings.

BurghBoy412
08-02-2017, 01:23 PM
They should devote a wing to biggest draft busts and poor free agent signings. It could be used as a deterrent for poor play.
I nominate Jarvis Jones, Limas Sweed, and Senquez Golson.

tube517
08-02-2017, 01:51 PM
They should devote a wing to biggest draft busts and poor free agent signings. It could be used as a deterrent for poor play.
I nominate Jarvis Jones, Limas Sweed, and Senquez Golson.

Throw in Jamain Stephens, Huey Richardson and Alonzo Jackson.