PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey thought his career was over two years ago

AtlantaDan
07-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Good Post-Gazette article on Maurkice Pouncey with excerpts and link below. Notable for both the impact of Coach Munchak and Pouncey discussing how he grew past the screwups of his younger days (as Ben did and Bell & Bryant hopefully will)

A frightened Maurkice Pouncey thought his football career was over at age 26. It happened two years ago when a leg injury turned into a terrifying ordeal.

The fractured fibula and ankle sprain led to two different infections including staph, prompted eight surgeries, the insertion and removal of metal plates and canceled his entire season....

He credited his doctors for the recovery and to line coach Mike Munchak for his continued success on the field.

“He saved my career,’’ Pouncey said, describing blocking techniques Munchak showed him that would protect him more.

Then there is the matter of who saved his life, or at least turned it in a different direction from where it was going. Maturity, he said, did that.
No more big birthday bashes with twin brother Mike. No more partying that led to some notorious episodes such as the alleged fight at a Miami nightclub in 2014 that prompted a civil suit that was settled out of court in March. There was the infamous wearing of the “Free Hernandez” caps in 2013.

“I’m just more mature now,’’ Pouncey said. “I don’t have to go out and party all the time. I don’t have to go out on the weekends and just drink until I can’t think anymore.

“I have my kids now, I have a serious family thing going on. I just want to be more accountable. I was tired of being the guy every offseason coming here and having to explain myself and the things that happened in my life.
“You kind of do things and drop people off who shouldn’t be in your life.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/07/30/Steelers-center-Maurkice-Pouncey-injuries-training-camp-Saint-Vincent-College-Latrobe-Pro-Bowl-Mike-Munchak/stories/201707300169

Odd that a former head coach dropped all the way down to being a position coach and has apparently not received any interest for coordinator or HC openings, but great news for the Steelers that Coach Munchak remains in Pittsburgh as the O-line has developed into one of the best in the league