PDA

View Full Version : Young, nasty and scary, Steelers defense looking to get back to dominating level

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert set out three years ago to rebuild his defense through the draft. Coming off consecutive 8-8 seasons, the defense had morphed from one of the strongest in the NFL to a middling unit that no longer struck fear into opponents.

Starting in 2014, Colbert used his first- and second-round picks on defensive players in three consecutive years. Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt came in 2014 and were followed by Bud Dupree and Senquez Golson in 2015 and Artie Burns and Sean Davis last year.

All but Golson are starters and form the nucleus of a young defense that is trying to get the Steelers back in the conversation as one of the league’s top defenses.

“That’s the best thing about it,” said Tuitt, who is entering his third season as a full-time starter. “We’re young and experienced. That’s freaking scary.”

Six of the defensive starters are 24 or younger. Rookie first-round pick T.J. Watt, who is 22, will make it seven if he starts ahead of veteran right outside linebacker James Harrison. All other starters except safety Mike Mitchell are in their 20s.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/07/29/Steelers-Stephon-Tuitt-Ryan-Shazier-defense-Bud-Dupree/stories/201707290095

GBMelBlount
07-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Fingers crossed this young D gels by the playoffs.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Fingers crossed this young D gels by the playoffs.

It's going to be well before the playoffs if they are good(this what I am expecting) since the core of this defense is the same that last year,so like the players have said,this is not longer a excuse,the time is now.

Our numbers on Defense during our 9 game winning streak was great last year, but what will be important is what they will do against elite offense.

Steeldude
07-30-2017, 04:52 AM
I will wait to see. As of now I see them as average until they prove otherwise.

I am not sold on Watt. Dupree better do something this year or the Steelers will need to draft another OLB next season.

The defense needs to stay healthy.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 08:25 AM
I will wait to see. As of now I see them as average until they prove otherwise.

I am not sold on Watt. Dupree better do something this year or the Steelers will need to draft another OLB next season.

The defense needs to stay healthy.

I think the defense is good. Young with potential to be very good. Just not there yet. Teams are going to score against us. That's why we need to be putting up 30+ pts per game this year. Our defense can look/play better if other teams are having to play keep up.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 08:50 AM
I think the defense is good. Young with potential to be very good. Just not there yet. Teams are going to score against us. That's why we need to be putting up 30+ pts per game this year. Our defense can look/play better if other teams are having to play keep up.

We say that every years in recent years that the Steelers need to score 30 points per game ....

If this is the case, the steelers are in trouble, but fortunately this is not the case, they were at the AFC Title game last year and our offense has not been close to 30 points per game, and in our 9 game winning streak, the steelers scored 30 or more points only twice.

In some games, yes the steelers will have to score 30 points or more, but not all the time

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 09:08 AM
We say that every years in recent years that the Steelers need to score 30 points per game ....

If this is the case, the steelers are in trouble, but fortunately this is not the case, they were at the AFC Title game last year and our offense has not been close to 30 points per game, and in our 9 game winning streak, the steelers scored 30 or more points only twice.

In some games, yes the steelers will have to score 30 points or more, but not all the time

I think you are looking short of the 'Big Picture'. The word "need" may not truly apply, how about "should"? We have not played well against the pass recently. What improvements do you see that have been made in that phase? Teams are going to score against us. We "should" be able to outscore any team with the offense we have.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 09:15 AM
The steelers did well against the pass in the second half of the season last year when Davis and Burns has been in the starting lineup.

And also looking at the schedule, I expect it continue until the game against the Packers in late November, since no passing offense is elite before the game against the Packers.

The question for this defense is how they will do against the elites passing offense....

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 09:18 AM
The steelers did well against the pass in the second half of the season last year when Davis and Burns has been in the starting lineup.

And also looking at the schedule, I expect it continue until the game against the Packers in late November, since no passing offense is elite before the game against the Packers.

The question for this defense is how they will do against the elites passing offense....

Still the same answer. Score more points than they do.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Still the same answer. Score more points than they do.

Maybe I have too much confidence in this defense to say that our offense has no need to score 30 points per game to have a chance to win.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Maybe I have too much confidence in this defense to say that our offense has no need to score 30 points per game to have a chance to win.

Now i understand the confusion. I never meant to imply "our offense needs to score 30 points per game to have a CHANCE TO WIN." All I'm trying to say is, this defense is very young and inexperienced. Potential? Yes. But I don't see us shutting down or slowing down any proficient offense this season any more than we did last season. I hope we do and I am totally wrong, but where is this dominance coming from other than hope? To make things easier, and to lessen the learning curve for this young defense, our offense needs to put up a lot more points than we did last year. Our weapons are back, we should be hungrier after how the playoffs ended, 2 impressive new weapons added, and Ben's whole mindset is on winning the SB again.(see Ben's retirement thread)

Remember back to pre-draft, I was totally onboard with drafting McCaffrey and/or Njoku at 30.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Now i understand the confusion. I never meant to imply "our offense needs to score 30 points per game to have a CHANCE TO WIN." All I'm trying to say is, this defense is very young and inexperienced. Potential? Yes. But I don't see us shutting down or slowing down any proficient offense this season any more than we did last season. I hope we do and I am totally wrong, but where is this dominance coming from other than hope? To make things easier, and to lessen the learning curve for this young defense, our offense needs to put up a lot more points than we did last year. Our weapons are back, we should be hungrier after how the playoffs ended, 2 impressive new weapons added, and Ben's whole mindset is on winning the SB again.(see Ben's retirement thread)

Remember back to pre-draft, I was totally onboard with drafting McCaffrey and/or Njoku at 30.

Shutdown an offense, no...It's not realistic and it would be a big shocker if it happens, but 20 points per game as in the last two years is realistic.....The only thing I ask is not to get embarrassed by the elite passing offense.

The best example are the last year's falcons in their last 9 games including the playoffs....They did a good job against the packers and against the pats in the playoffs even if they were young and inexperienced and a former WR of the steelers were in their secondary and had some snap on defense in the super bowl and they would probably have won The super bowl if they would not have been on the field for 93 plays!

st33lersguy
07-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Now is the time for the defense to become a top tier unit. There are pieces in place, they just got to translate

BurghBoy412
07-30-2017, 12:26 PM
They only play a couple of "Top Tier" offenses this season. If they are a championship caliber Defense I would expect them to dominate. If they perform mediocre against mediocre teams. I don't think much will be accomplished. Obviously!! I only see the Patriots and the Packers as real tough tests for the Defense on this year's schedule. Maybe the Lions, Colts, Titans? Texans??

tube517
07-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Haven't even played a preseason game.

Jury is still out on what the 2017 Defense brings.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 01:21 PM

GBMelBlount
07-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Against the Patriots they will.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Possible, but it's going to take a team effort to win against them.

Born2Steel
If our Bs are clicking, add in JuJu and Conner's expected contributions, why would we ever be content only scoring 20 points against any defense? We were in the redzone 6 times at Arrowhead with only Bell and AB. Those FGs should become TDs with everyone playing.

polamalubeast

Possible, but it's going to take a team effort to win against them.

st33lersguy
07-30-2017, 01:38 PM
I get that the defense will likely have a couple off games in the regular season games, but if they surrender 30+ points in the postseason, odds are they won't win the Super Bowl. Beating the Patriots will require them to at least contain the Pats offense, they can't give up 30 points against them and expect to win.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 01:43 PM
If our Bs are clicking, add in JuJu and Conner's expected contributions, why would we ever be content only scoring 20 points against any defense? We were in the redzone 6 times at Arrowhead with only Bell and AB. Those FGs should become TDs with everyone playing.

This thread was on defense, but as I said, if we want to accomplish our goal, it takes a team effort

If our offense is healthy and they have no suspensions or other problems, this offense should have minimun 27 points per games.

But what I want from our defense is more 3 and out and things like that and if they do that, our offense is going to have more drive, so more opportunity to score!

- - - Updated - - -

I get that the defense will likely have a couple off games in the regular season games, but if they surrender 30+ points in the postseason, odds are they won't win the Super Bowl. Beating the Patriots will require them to at least contain the Pats offense, they can't give up 30 points against them and expect to win.

Agreed, especially that it only happen 3 times in 34 playoffs games that the Pats Defense has allowed 30 points or more since 2001.

The Pats scored 21 points or less in 8 of their 9 playoffs losses with Brady

polamalubeast
08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Personally, I expect great things from this defense.In fact, if Burns and Dupree have a breakout season, I would not be surprised if this defense are among the best of the NFL this year.

When Burns, Harrison, Davis and Dupree were in the starting lineup last year, this defense were among the best on almost every stats, including yards and points.This defense were the reason with Le'Veon Bell why the steelers had a 9 winning streak at the end of the year.

The next step is to be competitive against the elite offense, but I'm glad that the players realize that time is now.Not every fans have this mentality.

Iron Steeler
08-03-2017, 08:43 PM
:coffee: Yeh soft zone coverage's, 4 man rush that cant pressure the qb, let the wr have 10 yards to get fully into their routes... Prove to me you will be dominate because last time I saw you , you laid down on the tracks.

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 06:22 AM
:coffee: Yeh soft zone coverage's, 4 man rush that cant pressure the qb, let the wr have 10 yards to get fully into their routes... Prove to me you will be dominate because last time I saw you , you laid down on the tracks.

Of course, if the steelers continue to use the zone, it will not happen!