PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Of The End For Daniel McCullers?

stillers4me
07-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Question: Is this the beginning of the end for Daniel McCullers’ time with the Steelers?

If you have been following along intently over the course of the offseason, you may have read that Steelers fourth-year nose tackle Daniel McCullers has had to wait his turn quite a bit over the course of the past few months…and even then he didn’t always get it.

Generally assumed to be the second-string nose tackle after rookie Javon Hargrave beat him for the starting job last year, McCullers saw defensive end L.T. Walton log first-team nose tackle snaps ahead of him during the spring when Hargrave was injured.

Yesterday, Alex Kozora noted that Johnny Maxey was logging snaps at nose tackle, again ahead of McCullers in the pecking order. Walton is something that I wasn’t exactly shocked by, but to see Maxey, who is of a thinner frame—or at least was—taking nose tackle reps ahead of a nose tackle has to get that nose tackle thinking.

That could be exactly what the purpose of this is. It’s no secret that the Steelers, from his teammates to his coaches, have consistently campaigned in public comments to push him and to drive him, even though it doesn’t seem to have always actually delivered the results.........

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/2017-offseason-questions-beginning-end-daniel-mccullers/

Dwinsgames
07-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Big Dan never found his mean streak , if he had we would have never drafted Hargrave ...

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 04:56 PM
We haven't seen a lot from him. He'll grab onto an offensive linemen and may push him backwards, but not do much with him from there. We really haven't seen him use his hands or strength to cause separation and get into the backfield. We need another aggressive nose tackle who can provide good depth and who can do the things mentioned above to cause disruption in the backfield.

ALLD
07-29-2017, 07:27 PM
He seems more like a Teddy bear than serial killer.

BlackAndGold
07-30-2017, 02:38 AM
He still does a good job as a big body NT when it comes to goal line situations.

The guy had to much hype around him as he was the next Casey Hampton. Still believe he makes the team.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 08:27 AM
We didn't bring many DTs to camp. He'll be there for depth. I don't think he gets many snaps this year. I agree it's the end.

steelreserve
07-30-2017, 11:27 AM
He was the wrong guy for what the modern 3-4 nose tackle position demands. Good at denying space, but not a disruptor. That's only a very situational thing anymore.

Like McLendon before him, I think he could be very good as one half of a 4-3 DT tandem, even an every-down player. But there is just no match for that skill set in a 3-4 and he was miscast as a true "nose tackle."

BlackAndGold
08-04-2017, 05:24 AM
He still does a good job as a big body NT when it comes to goal line situations.

The guy had to much hype around him as he was the next Casey Hampton. Still believe he makes the team.

As of right now, doesn't look like that'll be the case. Guys like Maxey(not even a NT) is ahead of McCullers.

AtlantaDan
08-04-2017, 07:21 AM

Dale Lolley of the Observer-Reporter thinks McCullers is gone

Cam Heyward was with his wife celebrating the birth of their child today and that gave Tyson Alualu another shot to work with the first team. The more I see of him, the more impressed I become. He’s not Hewyward or Tuitt, but he’ll fit in just fine here.

Because of that, and the way the team feels about Johnny Maxey and L.T. Walton, I think Daniel McCullers’ days are numbered unless somebody gets hurt.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170802/football_can_be_a_cruel_game