PDA

View Full Version : Artie Burns-Antonio Brown matchup heats up on first day of Steelers camp

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 06:59 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin let Antonio Brown know who was ready for him.

"Two-five," Tomlin said to Brown as the star receiver stretched before Friday's rain-soaked training camp opener.

And Brown replied, "Hopefully."

Sure, No. 25, Artie Burns, lost a few downfield plays to Brown, as is customary for anyone guarding him. But early indications are Burns, last year's first-round pick, is better equipped to pester Brown in Year 2.

read more

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/24344/artie-burns-antonio-brown-matchup-heats-up-on-first-day-of-steelers-camp

BlackAndGold
07-29-2017, 07:01 AM
If Burns has a few winning plays against Brown we should be excited.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 07:03 AM
LATROBE – Antonio Brown jogged over to the sideline to share talk with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger midway through the Steelers’ first full training camp practice Friday.

“He’s getting better,” Roethlisberger said to Brown, who agreed.

The he to which Roethlisberger was referring is second-year cornerback Artie Burns, the Steelers’ 2016 first-round draft pick.

Burns’ skillset was on display in a practice that had to be moved to Latrobe High School’s turf football field because of heavy rains that drenched the area.

As the young cornerback did throughout the offseason workouts, Burns followed Brown all over the football field Friday and made things tough on one of the NFL’s top wide receivers. When Brown went deep, there was Burns running with him stride for stride to break up a pass. When he ran a post pattern, Burns broke on the ball, getting a hand on it with some help from second-year safety Sean Davis, who knocked Brown to the ground.

It’s all part of the master plan.

The Steelers figure that if Burns can cover Brown, who has surpassed 100 receptions in each of the past four seasons, then he can hold up well against anyone on their schedule.

It’s far different from when they challenged Burns last season.

After missing a large portion of training camp and the preseason, Burns broke into the starting lineup in early November at Baltimore. He promptly was beaten by wide receiver Mike Wallace for a 95-yard touchdown. A few weeks earlier in a loss at Miami, Burns struggled with his tackling.

By season’s end, Burns had 64 tackles, 13 pass defenses and a team-high three interceptions.

“Early on, Artie had trouble getting on the field because of injury,” defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. “Once he got on the field, every team is going to attack rookies and they attacked him. He learned some situations, the Baltimore situation, for example. He had a little trouble in that game. He had a little trouble in the Miami game. After that, he took it to heart and started progressing.

“That’s what we wanted to see. We wanted to see a guy who we drafted in the first round get into the lineup. Teams are going to try to drown you and see if you can sink or swim. He survived. This year, I want to see him drown some players on the other side. That’s where we are with him.”

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170728/steelers_turning_up_the_heat_on_burns

fansince'76
07-29-2017, 07:27 AM
As long as he's showing improvement, and it sounds like he is, that's all anyone can really ask for.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 07:32 AM
By the way, Burns followed AB around all day. Wasn’t a left side/right side thing. They want Burns to be more comfortable at both spots, giving the defense more flexibility when they choose to shadow, and give Burns the chance to go up against the league’s best wide receiver every single rep.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-one/

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 08:05 AM
This is great news to hear. Maybe we will finally have a good and consistent corner.

teegre
07-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Ben getting angry about Burns' coverage is a HUGE indicator that that kid is gonna be GREAT cornerback.

tube517
07-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Nice, Artie. Now take care of your DMV issues, dude.

Bluecoat96
07-29-2017, 09:15 AM
I like the aggressiveness on display already from the young guys on defense. Just don't get over zealous. Good QBs like gaydy Brady will use that over aggressiveness against us.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 09:20 AM
The potential of this defense is there.

I don't know if Butler is the right man for this job, but we'll see, especially in the game against the Packers and the Pats.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 09:27 AM
Our coaching staff must not lose confidence in their players if our defense gives a big play in the beginning of game, since these are things that they can happen more often if the steelers play man to man, but by playing less zone, this Defense should have more 3 and out, so that means more drive for our offense!

DesertSteel
07-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Two words: SHUT DOWN.

Dwinsgames
07-29-2017, 09:38 AM
As long as he's showing improvement, and it sounds like he is, that's all anyone can really ask for.

THIS ....

and we have to remember its his second year , first as a projected full time starter he will still have some growing pains as he is not a finished product YET ...

remember this is a kid who never had a full off season to dedicate to football , a kid who never had a full camp in college either because he spent half or more of the practices at track n field ... he is still learning his craft

st33lersguy
07-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Fingers crossed

teegre
07-29-2017, 12:00 PM
THIS ....

and we have to remember its his second year , first as a projected full time starter he will still have some growing pains as he is not a finished product YET ...

remember this is a kid who never had a full off season to dedicate to football , a kid who never had a full camp in college either because he spent half or more of the practices at track n field ... he is still learning his craft

Bingo!!!

What I loved about Burns was that he improved every year; he got better and better and better. A lot of "potential" guys never reach that potential, but Burns' learning curve suggests that he will indeed reach his full potential (which should be amazing).

GBMelBlount
07-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Bingo!!!

What I loved about Burns was that he improved every year; he got better and better and better. A lot of "potential" guys never reach that potential, but Burns' learning curve suggests that he will indeed reach his full potential (which should be amazing).

I think the key to our 2017 season (besides injuries and drug tests), may be the development of this young secondary by the playoffs.

teegre
07-29-2017, 04:41 PM
I think the key to our 2017 season (besides injuries and drug tests), may be the development of this young secondary by the playoffs.

Indeed

Burns has the "potential" to be an All Pro (by year four); I'll gladly take "very good" by the end of this season.

Similarly, Davis is already very good, and by the end of this season, he could be our best secondary player since Troy.

Lastly, Sutton is a steal.

SUMMATION:
We are looking at the fledgling stages of The Steel Legion of No Fly Curtain.

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Indeed

Burns has the "potential" to be an All Pro (by year four); I'll gladly take "very good" by the end of this season.

Similarly, Davis is already very good, and by the end of this season, he could be our best secondary player since Troy.

SUMMATION:

:rofl2:

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Indeed

SUMMATION:

Haha...This is the best case scenario!

86WARD
07-30-2017, 08:01 AM
This preseason nonsense has me excited about Burns. Gets me every time.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 08:33 AM
This preseason nonsense has me excited about Burns. Gets me every time.

I agree. Me too. Have to keep in mind Burns knows the ball is coming in drills. It's when he gets faked and beaten in the games was his weakness rookie year. 1 on 1 most will look decent. I want to see Burns improve in recognition this season. Cover skills are there. Year 3 will be Artie's best, I'm thinking. I love the potential of this young defense. I know not all of them will pan out, but still fun and exciting to think about it.

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 04:34 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 05:35 PM

polamalubeast
08-03-2017, 11:14 AM

DesertSteel
08-03-2017, 01:27 PM
That's HUGE!

43Hitman
08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
That's HUGE!Or what Coates has is contagious....:chuckle:

steel striker
08-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Just maybe Burns can turn into a shut down corner?

polamalubeast
08-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Just maybe Burns can turn into a shut down corner?

As I said in a another thread,if Burns and Dupree have a breakout season,this defense will be great this year!

BlackAndGold
08-04-2017, 04:57 AM

Remember the freak out when they selected Burns? As I say "trust the front office"

And lol at Kozora being snobby at the fact Brian may have stolen his stats, acting like the whole Depot crew doesn't re-write other writers work.

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Remember the freak out when they selected Burns? As I say "trust the front office"

And lol at Kozora being snobby at the fact Brian may have stolen his stats, acting like the whole Depot crew doesn't re-write other writers work.

I'll always remember that!

Many thought that Burns was a project, it was a panic pick and that he was only going to be a starter in his 3rd or 4th season, but Burns is a starter since the middle of his rookie season.

Sometimes I hate reactions after a draft pick.It happens with Shazier also in 2014.

Our front office is not perfect, but this is one of the best in the NFL and I don't understand why they are so underrated.

AtlantaDan
08-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Hope this is correct:nervous:

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 04:54 PM
If it's not a thing like Dupree last year, Burns will be okay.

After the Dupree's situation last year, I don't believe in Tomlin anymore for the injuries during the training camp since he is a liar on that!

Even during the season, I don't trust Tomlin like in 2015 with Shazier after the game against the 49ers and last year with Wheaton.Same with Pouncey in 2015.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Remember this.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/24434-Tomlin-Pouncey-did-not-have-second-surgery

Psycho Ward 86 said in the comments below that it mean that it likely to mean Pouncey is on his 4th surgery .

I don't know if he was serious, but he was probably right since Pouncey had 7 surgeries.

Tomlin had said that at that moment Pouncey had not had a second surgery.:rolleyes:

AtlantaDan
08-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Until Burns returns this is the #1 CB in actionhttp://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

Ross Cockrell begged to cover Antonio Brown. On Saturday, the Steelers cornerback got his chance. Cockrell was matched against the All-Pro receiver for most of practice, a decision that was decidedly in Brown's favor.

Cockrell had his moments. In “Seven Shots,” he broke up a Ben Roethlisberger pass intended for Brown in the right corner of the end zone. Later, in team drills, Roethlisberger found Brown wide open at midfield. Brown caught the pass and quickly reversed field to beat Cockrell for a touchdown. Brown also caught a sideline pass with Cockrell in coverage for a 20-yard gain.

In a red-zone drill, Brown caught a touchdown pass over Cockrell in the back of the end zone. On the next play, the Steelers ran a tight-end pick for Brown, who beat Cockrell for a first down. Cockrell, however, broke up a pair of passes in the end zone. The first was intended for Justin Hunter in the upper-right side, the second for Brown in the back-left corner. Later, Roethlisberger hit Brown on a slant for a touchdown, again with Cockrell in coverage.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12577429-74/inside-the-ropes-ross-cockrell-gets-chance-to-cover-antonio-brown

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 07:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Until Burns returns this is the #1 CB in actionhttp://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

Ross Cockrell begged to cover Antonio Brown. On Saturday, the Steelers cornerback got his chance. Cockrell was matched against the All-Pro receiver for most of practice, a decision that was decidedly in Brown's favor.

Cockrell had his moments. In “Seven Shots,” he broke up a Ben Roethlisberger pass intended for Brown in the right corner of the end zone. Later, in team drills, Roethlisberger found Brown wide open at midfield. Brown caught the pass and quickly reversed field to beat Cockrell for a touchdown. Brown also caught a sideline pass with Cockrell in coverage for a 20-yard gain.

In a red-zone drill, Brown caught a touchdown pass over Cockrell in the back of the end zone. On the next play, the Steelers ran a tight-end pick for Brown, who beat Cockrell for a first down. Cockrell, however, broke up a pair of passes in the end zone. The first was intended for Justin Hunter in the upper-right side, the second for Brown in the back-left corner. Later, Roethlisberger hit Brown on a slant for a touchdown, again with Cockrell in coverage.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12577429-74/inside-the-ropes-ross-cockrell-gets-chance-to-cover-antonio-brown

We've seen worse from 2013 to 2015 with Ike Taylor in decline and Blake in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16V02r4hf5E

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 12:38 PM

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 07:09 PM

BlackAndGold
08-07-2017, 04:28 AM

Damn.

Edman
08-07-2017, 04:58 AM

Pecking order established among the corners. Artie is #1.

pczach
08-07-2017, 06:04 AM
Until Burns returns this is the #1 CB in action:doh:

I don't think we can make too much of that. Burns is definitely the most talented corner right now, but I wouldn't be too hard on Cockrell. There isn't a corner in the NFL that can consistently cover AB in man coverage. To make it sound like we are lost because Cockrell didn't shut down the best receiver in football is probably a bit of an overreaction.

I'm actually encouraged by what we have seen. I think it's more that Burns is getting better and his talents are starting to show. Last year, Cockrell followed some of the best receivers in the league all over the field and held up well.

I think the secondary will be better this year if they stay healthy. Davis and Burns a year older and wiser. Cockrell no longer has to cover the best WR of each team. They added more CB talent to the roster through the draft. Dupree should actually be playing and healthy to start the year....and will be better. They also added Watt into the rotation of pass rushers, and Heyward is back and healthy with Hargrave a year more experienced and stronger.

I think the defense is going to be much stronger this year.

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 06:29 AM

lipps83
08-07-2017, 06:58 AM
I don't think we can make too much of that. Burns is definitely the most talented corner right now, but I wouldn't be too hard on Cockrell. There isn't a corner in the NFL that can consistently cover AB in man coverage. To make it sound like we are lost because Cockrell didn't shut down the best receiver in football is probably a bit of an overreaction.

I'm actually encouraged by what we have seen. I think it's more that Burns is getting better and his talents are starting to show. Last year, Cockrell followed some of the best receivers in the league all over the field and held up well.

I think the secondary will be better this year if they stay healthy. Davis and Burns a year older and wiser. Cockrell no longer has to cover the best WR of each team. They added more CB talent to the roster through the draft. Dupree should actually be playing and healthy to start the year....and will be better. They also added Watt into the rotation of pass rushers, and Heyward is back and healthy with Hargrave a year more experienced and stronger.

Exactly. How quickly people forget this is the same Antonio Brown that destroyed an all pro Bronco's secondary (no TD's in 2 years on Chris Harris, AB had 2 in an hour) just a couple years ago.

Cockrell is fine.

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 07:26 AM
If Burns is very good as he is currently in the training camp, I hope the steelers will be smart enough to put the best 2nd WR of the other team one on one against Burns and double their best receiver.

Of course, it will depend in some situations,but I hope the steelers will do that when they can.

GBMelBlount
08-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Injuries aside, I tend to agree, with the caveat that it may take time for the team to gel become "much" stronger.

I just hope they peak and are healthy for the playoffs...

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Injuries aside, I tend to agree, with the caveat that it may take time for the team to gel become "much" stronger.

I just hope they peak and are healthy for the playoffs...

It does not take 2 years for a defense to gel ....

I mean, it's almost the same defense as last year and this defense was very good in our 9 games winning streak (the steelers defense were in the top 5 in yards, points and yards per play)

I am maybe the only one in this forum that has very big expectations in this defense.If Burns, Dupree has a breakout year and Cockrell is not bad, this defense is going to be a strong point for the steelers.

The time is now.

Mojouw
08-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Someone has to emerge as the "play maker" for the defense. That guy who just goes out and makes a turnover or a key stop.

Kinda like prime Harrison, Porter, or Troy.

I'm hoping a consistently healthy Shazier becomes the straw that stirs the drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
08-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Someone has to emerge as the "play maker" for the defense. That guy who just goes out and makes a turnover or a key stop.

This team is about to explode with them.

Shazier could be the "wow" player that Troy was.

Dupree could be the "well-timed sack" guy that Porter was.

Watt could be the "splash" play that Lloyd was.

Burns could be Ike with INTs.

Hargrave could be a NT unlike anything we've had prior (7-8 sacks/season).

Heyward is Aaron Smith.

Tuitt could be Brett Keisel.

But, Davis is most likely to be the catalyst who makes the defense go from good to great to "All Pro".

(NOTE: Harrison will be "Harrison"... for one more season.)

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 10:55 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Last year, AB caught 75%. Coates 73%. Rogers 74%. Hey-Bey 68%. All those numbers are down, down, down.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-statistical-recap-first-nine-practices/

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Heyward is Aaron Smith.

But, Davis is most likely to be the catalyst who makes the defense go from good to great to "All Pro".

I think it could happen for Shazier, Burns and Dupree.

Agree for Heyward and Tuitt is already much better than Keisel at his peak.

Mojouw
08-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Heyward is Aaron Smith.

I agree that those things all could or have happened. BUT every dominant or "great" defense has that guy that just kinda makes things happen.

I kinda feel that Shazier (perhaps somewhat to the position he plays) has to emerge as that guy. He has the talent, the football IQ, and the scheme fit -- can he put it all together? Imagine a whole season of that Cincy playoff game? That's DPOY in a walk.

Hawkman
08-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Tuitt is already much better than Keisel at his peak.

Not sure I agree with that. Keisel's job at his peak was much different than Tuitt's is now. Keisel, Smith and Hampton were run stoppers in a classic 3-4 defense. They were continually rank near the top in run defense and Keisel was a major part of that. Tuitt is asked to do more pass rushing because of the weakness of our OLB pass rushing. Hard to really compare the two and to say that, "Tuitt is much better than Keisel at his peak".

polamalubeast
08-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Bluecoat96
08-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Looks like Burns sure hasn't shied away from weight training this off season

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
08-13-2017, 03:06 PM

teegre
08-13-2017, 03:13 PM
This reminds me of when Jack Lambert went up against Mike Webster during their rookie camp.

The coaches looked at the scouts, and said, "This kid from Kent State was supposed to be good... and yet, he's getting schooled by a freakin' fifth-round pick!!!"

SUBTEXT:
Burns is Lambert. Yes, AB will get over on him time & time again, but that is only because AB is one of the greatest to ever play. Burns holding his own is a verrrrry good sign.

st33lersguy
08-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Glad artie is back being effective