PDA

View Full Version : Steelers respond to Damion Stafford's no show at camp by...

Dwinsgames
07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Signing Safety Malik Golden UDFA Penn State , Golden a former wide out turn Safety .

I was kind of shocked Golden was not drafted as to me he has a lot of upside ...

either way he gets a shot to prove his worth and the process continues to work

st33lersguy
07-28-2017, 03:12 PM
To think that this no show was the only team's attempt to upgrade the safety position this offseason after watching Mitchell, Golden, and Dangerfield get repeatedly burned in the AFC Championship and after they were gifted the deepest safety draft class in years to select from. Smh

Dwinsgames
07-28-2017, 03:21 PM
To think that this no show was the only team's attempt to upgrade the safety position this offseason after watching Mitchell, Golden, and Dangerfield get repeatedly burned in the AFC Championship and after they were gifted the deepest safety draft class in years to select from. Smh

I personally am still not counting out Hagan

Mojouw
07-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Which draft pick would you rather NOT have?

Edge pass rush? That is a bigger priority than safety in my not so humble opinion.
WR depth? I mean you have Eli Rogers, AB, then mangled fingers, Bongtavius, Old and kinda catches, and not a ton at TE -- so that looks like a solid 2nd round choice.
Then it was CB. I think that speaks for itself.
Then RB. The last few weeks have demonstrated how important that pick was.
QB - well there is Landry and the Franchise who talks about retirement every other week.
Then we get a DB prospect that would fill that 3rd safety role in sub-packages assuming he pans out...

So in a sense, the did "address" the need after they got through other higher items on their list. Or a case can be at least be made for that.

st33lersguy
07-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Which draft pick would you rather NOT have?

Edge pass rush? That is a bigger priority than safety in my not so humble opinion.
WR depth? I mean you have Eli Rogers, AB, then mangled fingers, Bongtavius, Old and kinda catches, and not a ton at TE -- so that looks like a solid 2nd round choice.
Then it was CB. I think that speaks for itself.
Then RB. The last few weeks have demonstrated how important that pick was.
QB - well there is Landry and the Franchise who talks about retirement every other week.
Then we get a DB prospect that would fill that 3rd safety role in sub-packages assuming he pans out...

So in a sense, the did "address" the need after they got through other higher items on their list. Or a case can be at least be made for that.

All indication is that Allen's weaknesses make him a poor fit for safety. Add to that he is a long-term project at CB at best and has barely learned even CB position. I wouldn't trust Allen at safety at all. Honestly they could have waited until day 3 it was such a deep draft class and RBs are a dime a dozen anyway (Connor was himself was tabbed as a day 3 pick). They could have drafted safety in round 3 and still gotten a solid no. 2 RB and QB depth. At the very least they could have waited to pick up a long snapper til after the draft (just like they did with Greg Warren and all the LS before him).

Safety was one of the biggest weaknesses on the team and it got exposed really against the first above average pass offense they played in the postseason. Hard to argue that it was the correct move to wait until June to address it

Mojouw
07-28-2017, 04:35 PM
All indication is that Allen's weaknesses make him a poor fit for safety. Add to that he is a long-term project at CB at best and has barely learned even CB position. I wouldn't trust Allen at safety at all. Honestly they could have waited until day 3 it was such a deep draft class and RBs are a dime a dozen anyway (Connor was himself was tabbed as a day 3 pick). They could have drafted safety in round 3 and still gotten a solid no. 2 RB and QB depth. At the very least they could have waited to pick up a long snapper til after the draft (just like they did with Greg Warren and all the LS before him).

Safety was one of the biggest weaknesses on the team and it got exposed really against the first above average pass offense they played in the postseason. Hard to argue that it was the correct move to wait until June to address it

Three safeties went off the board between the Conner and Dobbs picks - Eddie Jackson, Rasyshawn Jenkins, and Montae Nicholson. I don't remember if any of those guys were rated well as coverage guys or not.

5 RBs went off the board over the same portion of the draft. Highlighted by Williams, Pumphrey, and Perine.

Looking at the later round guys - Im not sure that Allen isn't a better gamble than all of them.

Dwinsgames
07-28-2017, 05:43 PM
who knows how long ( if ever ) it takes Allen but Ike seems to think he will contribute THIS year ...

is Ike the be all end all in terms of Corners , no but he likely knows a bit more than most and a lot more in terms to how the Steelers may be looking to use him ...

that being said I will be cautiously optimistic

BlackAndGold
07-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Looks like Stafford may retire, sucks. Thought he would bring good contributions on special teams, and maybe as a hybrid safety.

AtlantaDan
07-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Looks like Stafford may retire, sucks. Thought he would bring good contributions on special teams, and maybe as a hybrid safety.

Another brilliant job of screening free agent signings from the front office that brought us the Ladarius Green cluster :grin:

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Another brilliant job of screening free agent signings from the front office that brought us the Ladarius Green cluster :grin:

Fortunately the steelers sign very few free agent under Colbert, since they are horrible in that!

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 04:41 PM

Yeah, but how were they supposed to know he may retire? He was at the OTA sessions just a few months ago.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Everything I'm reading on Golden points to box safety. As a former WR, I would expect ball skills, but he apparently shows none. I'm only seeing him being talked about as run support. 6' 205 too small for the hybrid role.

Dwinsgames
07-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Everything I'm reading on Golden points to box safety. As a former WR, I would expect ball skills, but he apparently shows none. I'm only seeing him being talked about as run support. 6' 205 too small for the hybrid role.

guess that depends who you are counting on to supply you with info .

he has some ball skills but likes to hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRuYv2sPS9k