PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger says retirement remains an option after 2017

polamalubeast
07-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Ed Bouchette

Ben Roethlisberger will tie Terry Bradshaw for the longest tenure as a Steelers quarterback when he embarks on his 14th season.

The question now becomes, will it be his last?

Roethlisberger, 35, told the Post-Gazette Friday that retirement remains an option for him after this season, and that his wife, Ashley, would like to see him give up football.

In past years, he’s talked about playing a lot longer, but he mentioned the possibility of retiring two days after the Steelers season ended with their loss to New England in the AFC championship. He ultimately decided to come back this year but will not commit beyond it.

Why the change of heart from the past?

“Age,” Roethlisberger said, then laughed. “It’s just, it’s 14 years; that’s a long time. I think the average life expectancy in the NFL is 3 years, maybe 3½ now.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/07/28/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors-steelers-training-camp-2017-latrobe/stories/201707280132?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1501257863

Rotorhead
07-28-2017, 11:50 AM
I guess we will see what all this retirement talk does to his competitiveness this season . . . will it drive him to go out on a winning note or will he be complacent?

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 11:56 AM
I guess we will see what all this retirement talk does to his competitiveness this season . . . will it drive him to go out on a winning note or will he be complacent?

I will not truly appreciate how much Ben's talent will be missed until he is gone, but I will not miss the drama that is not part of the deal you get for most top shelf QBs

86WARD
07-28-2017, 12:37 PM
STFU Ben. You retire when we get the next Ben. Until then, win Super Bowls!!

polamalubeast
07-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Not always true.

Just to watch the last season of David Ortiz in the MLB ...

Nadroj 20
07-28-2017, 01:37 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but I hope we compete this year. Nothing to me suggests that we aren't going to, but if for some reason we don't and Ben takes a typical beating, I can see him calling it quits.

Also, I don't think his performance will be effected. I think once he made the decision to play this year, he was fully committed and he will play well. Even if he has a below average year I will maintain that it is not because he considered retiring. He is a professional and he wouldn't have continued playing if he wasn't ready to give it is best effort.

Mojouw
07-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Athlete gives honest answer to question from reporter - fans freak out.

Athlete dodges question and gives bogus answer - fans freak out.

Athlete ignores question and doesn't answer - fans freak out.

Thinking about retirement, is a long way from actually doing it.

polamalubeast
07-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Roethlisberger talks retirement, Super Bowls, Bradshaw, legacy.

“Let’s just say the Super Bowl is the plan,” Roethlisberger said today in a one-on-one interview with Steelers.com. “Let’s try and get that first and we’ll go from there.”

Pouncey is hoping Roethlisberger will play at least three or four more years.

Roethlisberger, 35, isn’t ready to commit to anything beyond 2017.

“I’m going to take it one year at a time,” he said. “In five years could we be having this same conversation? Yes. Could it be next year? I don’t know, and that’s why I’m not going to look past this year.”

Roethlisberger has thought about “all kinds of things” in terms of what he’d do next, but none with any degree of certainty.

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-on-Ben/ed1b5f4c-ea2b-40f5-9c6b-0c9e2110d9f5

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Athlete gives honest answer to question from reporter - fans freak out.

Athlete dodges question and gives bogus answer - fans freak out.

Athlete ignores question and doesn't answer - fans freak out.

Thinking about retirement, is a long way from actually doing it.

Why not just think about it rather than play Hamlet and act it out for the media:confused:

The question naturally was going to be raised at camp after Ben raised it in his radio show after the Pats loss last January and then strung out that drama for several months

He is a great QB but the constant sideshows, going back to his "broken toes" after his AFC championship loss his rookie season, are tiresome - of course Ben and his dramas are far preferable to no drama QBs such as Mark Malone, Neil O'Donnell and Mike Tomczak

Mojouw
07-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Why not just think about it rather than play Hamlet and act it out for the media:confused:

The question naturally was going to be raised at camp after Ben raised it in his radio show after the Pats loss last January and then strung out that drama for several months

He is a great QB but the constant sideshows, going back to his "broken toes" after his AFC championship loss his rookie season, are tiresome - of course Ben and his dramas are far preferable to no drama QBs such as Mark Malone, Neil O'Donnell and Mike Tomczak

I, and this is just me, think this stuff is only a "drama" and a "sideshow" if you pay attention to it/give a crap. I personally ignore 75-90% of what the players and coaches say in interviews. It is all just noise anyways. That then gets repeated and amped up through a media megaphone.

Any 14 year vet in the NFL who isn't thinking about retirement and willing to say so is a liar anyways.

BlackAndGold
07-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything, cause I hope he has a healthy post football life, but it's probably too late for the CTE talk.

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything, cause I hope he has a healthy post football life, but it's probably too late for the CTE talk.

Yep - that is like preventing cancer by giving up smoking after a 2 pack a day habit for 25 years or starting to use sunscreen in your 50s

tube517
07-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Yep - that is like preventing cancer by giving up smoking after a 2 pack a day habit for 25 years or starting to use sunscreen in your 50s

Hmmmm, I turn 50 next year and just bought a bottle. :chuckle: :scratchchin:

steelerdude15
07-28-2017, 06:53 PM

It's not guaranteed he'll get CTE. There are many formers athletes who do not have it.

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Hmmmm, I turn 50 next year and just bought a bottle. :chuckle: :scratchchin:

Hope you have better luck than me - I grew up when you needed to get that first good sunburn to toughen up for the summer and now am a steady customer getting procedures at the dermatologist :chuckle:

For purposes of clarification I am not trying to make any sort of joke about major illnesses - Kaye Cowher among others lost her life to melanoma and CTE is a mortal threat to football along with those who play it for any period of time

teegre
07-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Hope you have better luck than me - I grew up when you needed to get that first good sunburn to toughen up for the summer and now am a steady customer getting procedures at the dermatologist :chuckle:

I'm certain that my nose will have cancer on it. It used to peel until it bled. Who knew about skin cancer back then???

Of course, living in San Diego, it might not make a difference. My last ten days have been: bike ride along the coast, waterpark, body surfing, rest day (pool), surreying along the boardwalk, water gun fight in the pool, paddleboarding, sandcastle building, water-filled bounce-house...

GBMelBlount
07-28-2017, 07:40 PM
I'm certain that my nose will have cancer on it. It used to peel until it bled. Who knew about skin cancer back then???

Of course, living in San Diego, it might not make a difference.

My last ten days have been:

bike ride along the coast,

waterpark,

body surfing,

rest day (pool),

surreying along the boardwalk,

water gun fight in the pool,

paddleboarding,

sandcastle building,

water-filled bounce-house...

You are quite the beach extravert Teegre!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5c/b7/90/5cb7906b031f91c574c64d8f0b664c32--prussia-awkward-photos.jpg

teegre
07-28-2017, 07:55 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5c/b7/90/5cb7906b031f91c574c64d8f0b664c32--prussia-awkward-photos.jpg

My power comes from my pink banana hammock.

tube517
07-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Is that Cliff Claven? Wait, Teegre is Clifford Claven? :chuckle:

teegre
07-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Is that Cliff Claven? Wait, Teegre is Clifford Claven? :chuckle:

It's a little-known fact...

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Ben makes PTI - mission accomplished

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/20185808

Tony Kornheiser - Antonio Brown showed up at Steelers camp as Daisy in Driving Miss Daisy:lol:

st33lersguy
07-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Of course it's an option, 35 years old, 14th year in the league, has taken quite the beating, considered retiring this offseason.

ALLD
07-28-2017, 08:40 PM
He is one knee injury away from hanging it up. He will get to a point to where he doesn't care about the money or the game. He is grinding it out. Maybe have a good #2 finish out the 4th quarters more often.

Hawkman
07-28-2017, 10:27 PM
At least we will have a QB THIS season.......the Ratbirds are looking for a new center, who just retired at 26.

DesertSteel
07-28-2017, 11:10 PM
When the time comes I'd rather he just do it. I really don't want to hear about it constantly. Didn't read the article and am not interested.

BlackAndGold
07-28-2017, 11:19 PM
I'll just say, he better have one hell of a year, if he struggles with the talent around him, the media is going to rip him a new one.

Wish he just kept this retirement talk to himself, I'd hate to see his last year being called a quitter, or not giving 100%.

ALLD
07-29-2017, 04:33 AM
He should be talking more about going out like John Elway or The Bus, rather than whining about being forced to play a game for millions of dollars.

86WARD
07-29-2017, 05:03 AM
It's not like he called a press,conference to make this announcement. He was asked the question. What would you guys rather have him do other than answer the question? Just say no comment and lead to more speculation? Just stand here silent like a dope?

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 06:47 AM
I'll just say, he better have one hell of a year, if he struggles with the talent around him, the media is going to rip him a new one.

Wish he just kept this retirement talk to himself, I'd hate to see his last year being called a quitter, or not giving 100%.

I'm not worried about that...In his career, Roethlisberger has never been a quitter, so I expect that Ben gives his best once again.

BlackAndGold
07-29-2017, 06:58 AM
It's not like he called a press,conference to make this announcement. He was asked the question. What would you guys rather have him do other than answer the question? Just say no comment and lead to more speculation? Just stand here silent like a dope?

He should have said that he still loves playing football, and still he feels good. That would have ended any speculation.

(Albeit I forgot how the question was asked)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried about that...In his career, Roethlisberger has never been a quitter, so I expect that Ben gives his best once again.

Oh I expect Ben to give everything he's got, I actually think he has a MVP caliber season. I was just saying the media can be overly harsh when/if a player struggles, especially if he's talking retirement.

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 07:57 AM
He should be talking more about going out like John Elway or The Bus, rather than whining about being forced to play a game for millions of dollars.

How is he whining? He was asked a question and he answered it. Plus, nobody forced him to play. He chose to return this year.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 07:59 AM

As for what’s left to accomplish, “Super Bowls are always the No. 1 goal,” Roethlisberger said. “I’ve never been a person that’s about individual records, individual accomplishments.

“I’ve said before, and I truly meant this, that I thought (Terry) Bradshaw was the best quarterback, obviously, in Pittsburgh history. And I’ve broken pretty much every one of his records other than Super Bowls. And it’s an awesome honor to say I’ve broken a guy like that’s records. For me, there’s not much left to accomplish in terms of individual stuff. I just want to win team things.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-on-Ben/ed1b5f4c-ea2b-40f5-9c6b-0c9e2110d9f5

fansince'76
07-29-2017, 10:13 AM

How is he whining? He was asked a question and he answered it. Plus, nobody forced him to play. He chose to return this year.

What's also ironic is horseface (Elway) did nothing BUT whine until Bowlen finally fired Dan Reeves. And he also pulled an "Eli Manning move" 20+ years before Eli Manning did by threatening to play baseball instead if the (then Baltimore) Colts drafted him.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/fe/62/ea/fe62ea0a257095252fb1fcffff6e0937.jpg

GBMelBlount
07-29-2017, 11:50 AM
My power comes from my pink banana hammock.

Keeping on topic, if Ben had kept his banana in his hammock, his place in history might have been viewed differently.

teegre
07-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Keeping on topic, if Ben had kept his banana in his hammock, his place in history might have been viewed differently.

BOOM!!!

/thread
/Ben's career

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-29-2017, 02:10 PM
It's not like he called a press,conference to make this announcement. He was asked the question. What would you guys rather have him do other than answer the question? Just say no comment and lead to more speculation? Just stand here silent like a dope? Agreed and maybe he could have phrased it better. Saying like I'm here now and will see how this season plays out before I think about it.

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Every player over 30 has started to think about when to retire. There IS life after football. When the wife starts to nag is a different thing. That's when it becomes real. For me, there are only a few opinions about me that I care about. And those opinions all live under my roof. What the wife/family want holds a lot of power over any man.

AtlantaDan
07-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Every player over 30 has started to think about when to retire. There IS life after football. When the wife starts to nag is a different thing. That's when it becomes real. For me, there are only a few opinions about me that I care about. And those opinions all live under my roof. What the wife/family want holds a lot of power over any man.

True - Brady's wife is regarded as making a hard push for him to retire to the point she is claiming that he had concussions last season that were not disclosed

Given Brady’s comments last year, (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-to-gisele-after-she-pleaded-with-him-to-retire-too-bad-babe/) when he admitted Gisele wanted him to retire, many fans on social media if this was Gisele’s latest attempt to push Brady toward the door.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/patriots-fans-gisele-tom-brady-retire

But Brady's response is he will quit when he decides to

"She'll support me as long as I continue to want to play."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-brady-addresses-wife-concussion-claims/
(http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-brady-addresses-wife-concussion-claims/)
IMO Brady seems more enthusiastic about playing than Ben, which is no surprise when you have added two more rings to your collection in the past three seasons

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 05:41 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 02:56 PM

Mojouw
07-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Anyone ever think that after Milledgville incident, Ben R just loves to "troll" the media? Not like they have ever done him any favors...

I know that if I had microphones stuck in my face all the time, I would start screwing with people's minds.

Notice how Tomlin, Colbert, Rooneys, etc never seem to "freak out" over Ben's comments? Makes me wonder...

steelerdude15
07-31-2017, 03:12 PM

:rolleyes: I personally think the fans and media are the ones who blow things out of proportion when it comes to Ben.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever think that after Milledgville incident, Ben R just loves to "troll" the media? Not like they have ever done him any favors...

I know that if I had microphones stuck in my face all the time, I would start screwing with people's minds.

Notice how Tomlin, Colbert, Rooneys, etc never seem to "freak out" over Ben's comments? Makes me wonder...

That's a good way of looking at it.

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 05:34 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 05:47 PM
Great interview with Ike Taylor!

AtlantaDan
07-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Ben has been doing this since his rookie season

Roethlisberger told reporters Tuesday he wore down physically during the lengthy NFL season, finally breaking two toes while scrambling late in the first half of the 41-27 loss to the New England Patriots on Sunday night.

His head coach at the time appeared to "freak out" at least a bit:rolleyes:

Cowher seemed irritated Roethlisberger would go public with such a claim, that, in effect, suggested the Steelers gambled with the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year's health by playing him when he was hurt.

"We are unaware of any problems with his toes, OK?" Cowher said. :chuckle:

Roethlisberger didn't specify which toes were broken, and wasn't walking with an apparent limp either Monday or Tuesday.

"Ben does not have broken toes," Cowher said, talking publicly for the first time since immediately after the Steelers' fourth AFC title game loss in 11 seasons. "At the end of the first half, while scrambling, he aggravated some toes he has broken in the past, in high school and college. He mentioned something to Ryan Grove, our assistant trainer, and said he may have broke his toe. When he came off, he said he was fine, and he went back out in the second half and didn't say anything to anybody else for the rest of the game."

Cowher said the injury was never mentioned during his meeting with Roethlisberger on Monday and nothing showed up during the rookie's physical exam Tuesday.

"I talked to Ben last night, and got it straight from his mouth, and that's that," Cowher said. "He never broke his toes this season. ... Nothing more will be done with it, it's nothing that rest won't cure. It's sore."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2005-01-26-cowher-ben_x.htm

And there was this pre-Milledgeville injury report

The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263

His rep was locked in well before Milledgeville, as summed up in this 2009 article in Pittsburgh Magazine

Big Ben or Big Baby?: The Enigma of Ben Roethlisberger

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/August-2009/Big-Ben-or-Big-Baby-The-Enigma-of-Ben-Roethlisberger/ (http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/August-2009/Big-Ben-or-Big-Baby-The-Enigma-of-Ben-Roethlisberger/)

Ben is a great QB and the Steelers probably will go for years before getting anyone close to his value and skills (Bradshaw to Ben was a 20 year drought) - but he has been addicted to stirring up stuff since he entered the league

86WARD
07-31-2017, 05:57 PM
I've always taken TE approach that Ben is trolling the media. It seems very much like his sense of humor/style to do such a thing. Which I endorse 1000%

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 06:04 PM
I can live with Roethlisberger's drama.

With the exception of 2010, of course, his drama has never been out of control, unlike for some other killer B's in this team where 2 of his players have already had 2 suspension in their young career already....

Mojouw
07-31-2017, 07:02 PM
It got too long to quote, but Atlanta Dan is correct - Ben has been called out and contradicted for his injury status stuff. He has likely cut that crap out because he could cost the team $$$ and/or draft picks if they got caught lying on or fudging an injury report.

But other than those, does anyone important really give a crap? Doesn't seem like it?

BlackAndGold
08-01-2017, 01:18 AM
Great interview with Ike Taylor!

Deebo!!

86WARD
08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
I like Ike but his communication skills are only a little better than his interception skills...

Mojouw
08-01-2017, 09:46 AM
I kinda feel like this is yet another interview where Ben is being really straightforward and surprisingly candid for a pro athlete. Yet everyone is all like "What does it mean?" "Will he or won't he?"